· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
thestrangebrew1
Golden Member

Default Cinavia only on Blu Rays?

Had my first run in with Cinavia on the Arthur Christmas BR disc I bought for my daughter. Ripped it and decided to give it a go on Sat. night with the family. I've read about Cinavia in the past but never encountered it. It was streamed from my ps3 using Playstation MS. I believe the error said something about disabling audio after about 30 mins or so. Just curious, if this is the crap I should expect from purchasing BRs from now on, maybe I'll just buy the reg. dvds and just be "satisfied" with the quality. But is Cinavia embedded in standard DVDs?

Mods, please move to a more appropriate forum if this isn't the spot. TY

Server: Intel g630, Biostar H61, 4gb gskill ram, antec 400w eco psu
thestrangebrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
poofyhairguy
Diamond Member

Cinavia is the devil, preventing both piracy and fair use.

The only way to really avoid it is to avoid devices that look for it- aka the PS3 and all newer Blu Ray players.

Cinavia is the best reason to build a HTPC to play content.
poofyhairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
thestrangebrew1
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poofyhairguy View Post
Cinavia is the devil, preventing both piracy and fair use.

The only way to really avoid it is to avoid devices that look for it- aka the PS3 and all newer Blu Ray players.

Cinavia is the best reason to build a HTPC to play content.
Yea I hear that. I'll have to start looking into cases. I have my server that I guess will have to double as an htpc.

Server: Intel g630, Biostar H61, 4gb gskill ram, antec 400w eco psu
thestrangebrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
smitbret
Platinum Member

If you're ripping anyway, you can just invest in media streaming devices much more cheaply than HTPCs. The only one that I am aware of that supports Cinavia is the Netgear Netgeo. In fact, I dumped my PS3 about 9 months ago in favor of a BR drive at my PC and media streaming boxes at all TV locations. There are no DVD or BR players in my house anymore.

.... Of course that was before the recent October court ruling that said bypassing any form of copy protection was illegal even for personal use. Since then I haven't dreamed of ripping a disc to be stored and streamed.
smitbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
queequeg99

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew1 View Post
But is Cinavia embedded in standard DVDs?
Yes, Cinavia has made it into some standard DVDs. Go over to the forums at Slysoft as they maintain a list of impacted disks. I don't know how up to date it is.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=41885
queequeg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
Golgatha
Lifer

Is not even our personal HTPC sacred anymore?

Here's your alternative - http://www.dvdfab.com/media-player.htm

Looks like DVD Fab Media Player for ISO rips, VLC Media player for recoded files, and my PS3 for disc playback from now on. It also looks like ArcSoft just lost one more paying customer...namely me. I suppose ArcSoft can thank the AACS board for requiring this in their Bluray playback software.

TotalMedia Theatre 5.3.1.172 Release Notes

NEW FEATURES
01. Windows 8 support
02. Cinavia support (more info at http://www.cinavia.com)

BUG FIXES
01. Fix for NVIDIA systems where 2D Blu-rays launch in 3D mode
02. Fix AMD 7xxx HD audio bitstreaming no sound issue
03. Fix a compatibility issue with recent AMD drivers
04. Fix auto-refresh infinite replay issue on AMD hardware
05. Fix NVidia HD audio bitstreaming no sound issue
06. Fix improper mode switching on some NVidia 3D systems

KNOWN ISSUES
01. Prometheus blu-ray Bonus Features disc fails to play (BETA hotfix available in seperate thread)
02. YouTube videos fail to play/download

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard | Core i7 3770k@4.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Sandisk Extreme II 2x480GB SSD in RAID 0
240GB Crucial M500 using Intel RST to cache 2x 1TB WD RE4 drives in RAID 0 | eVGA GTX Titan SLI

Last edited by Golgatha; 12-28-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Golgatha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
irish2u

This seems to also be effecting mp3 when copying on a cd or dvd disk, Because i got a panasonic dmp bd77 Blu-Ray player for Xmas, burned some music aka: mashups n mixes i had and would not play the disc ;-( scanned and stoped, i was alittle upset so called panasonic to trouble shoot it the reset player but made no mention to Cinavia copy protection or asking me any details, after researching on my own came to the conclusion its Cinavia copy protection stopping it to play,now after reading up i see an article where 50 companies have jumped on board, so whats next, when you update, itunes,pc,mac, or anything else this water mark will be added ?
Like we don't have more important things in the world to worry about like the greed,sickos destroying our world, we are so backwards on what our priorities really are ;-( So you better keep your older players because i also found out that may other ones have no problems playing whatever...
irish2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Eug
Lifer

WD TV Live does not implement Cinavia, FYI.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
iOS: iPad 2 | iPhone 5s
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Android: Nexus 7 (2012)
Eug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
queequeg99

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2u View Post
This seems to also be effecting mp3 when copying on a cd or dvd disk, Because i got a panasonic dmp bd77 Blu-Ray player for Xmas, burned some music aka: mashups n mixes i had and would not play the disc ;-( scanned and stoped, i was alittle upset so called panasonic to trouble shoot it the reset player but made no mention to Cinavia copy protection or asking me any details, after researching on my own came to the conclusion its Cinavia copy protection stopping it to play,now after reading up i see an article where 50 companies have jumped on board, so whats next, when you update, itunes,pc,mac, or anything else this water mark will be added ?
Like we don't have more important things in the world to worry about like the greed,sickos destroying our world, we are so backwards on what our priorities really are ;-( So you better keep your older players because i also found out that may other ones have no problems playing whatever...
If the audio you were playing was copied from a Cinavia-enabled BD or DVD disk and played in a Cinavia-enabled player, yes, you'll get the behavior you experienced. The audio watermark is pretty persistent and will come through even on camcorder recordings of movies in a theater.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
vshah
Lifer

does cinavia prevent you from ripping blu-rays? if so i'll have to keep an eye out & avoid discs with it...
XBL: the4ner85
vshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
ImpulsE69
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshah View Post
does cinavia prevent you from ripping blu-rays? if so i'll have to keep an eye out & avoid discs with it...
It doesn't, but the laws apparently do...you know...all that consumer protection and stuff that runs so high in our country these days. I just avoid blu-rays all together. It's a medium that should never have been introduced and shouldn't be supported.

$1 Red box and Netflix/Hulu streaming and ripping what I already have that's the only way to go. No reason to give them any more money than that. I used to be a audio/videophile, and bought tons of movies, but over time realized, I didn't care enough and streaming under Blu-Ray quality had no impact on my enjoyment.

I have bought a select few collections that I knew I would watch repeatedly that I really enjoy and knew they had improved picture wise, but otherwise, can do w/o.

The World Needs a Reset Button.

Last edited by ImpulsE69; 03-01-2013 at 10:11 AM.
ImpulsE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
KentState
Diamond Member

I use DVDFab and WD TV Live and avoid the entire problem.
KentState is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
smitbret
Platinum Member

AnyDVD HD + WDTV Live.... FTW.

No more Sony in my house, anywhere.
smitbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
queequeg99

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
AnyDVD HD + WDTV Live.... FTW.

No more Sony in my house, anywhere.
+1. Any sort of decoding software (DVDFab or Any DVD HD) plus a non-cinavia enabled player is perfect. I use Media Player Classic on the PC and my old Sage TV HD300 as a set top box. Sure, you don't get menus, but who cares.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
monkey333

I would imagine my blu ray burner from 2+ years ago is a solid work around, along w my anydvd HD license.
monkey333 is offline   Reply With Quote