· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
tommo123
Platinum Member

Default windows - any ways yet to suspend apps during reboot?

i mean if windows has to reboot to install updates still it wouldn't be so annoying if my browser, video encode etc could be suspended and after reboot/install of updates then the running apps are restored as were. in a way that's invisible to the programs themselves?

if i put my laptop to sleep and then resume - a video encode in handbrake will resume and be fine. why can't this be done with running apps yet during an OS reboot?
tommo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Nothinman
Elite Member

Because memory locations for shared libraries may change and if the update hits one of the shared libraries used by that app then it'll likely crash on resume since it's not the same as when the process started.

I'm sure there are more reasons too, but that's the first one that came to mind.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
hhhd1

delay the update, and make it when you feel its ok to restart all apps.

most of the updates won't affect you anyway, so there is usually no rush, you can check what the updates do, and decide how important they are to you.

or, run linux

I had a debian server for 500+ days uptime, updated regularly, without a single restart.
Needed a hard reset only because of a network issue, the hard reboot didn't fix the issue as there was still the network issue, but we were trying everything, and damn hated to loose those 500+ days.

Sorry for the off-topic.
hhhd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
tommo123
Platinum Member

the problem is, i delay the reboot often, then a week goes by and i still haven't restarted as something always ***es up** the reboot nags piss me off and i turn off windows update** 2 weeks later i reboot and on seeing the "updating" i turn on windows update again** then i have more to do**

as far as shared libraries are concerned - couldn't it store the old one in a virtual location? kinda like how changes to program files go into your users folder or something like that anyway?

then once the program stops using it, it's deleted? i mean if it works on resuming then on a basic level it's possible right? just needs microsoft to do some work?

even better would be if windows didn't need to be restarted for updates** if the graphics driver crashing doesn't crash the system anymore (uses a safe driver run on the cpu i think yes?) then couldn't other parts of the system be run the same way? maybe eliminating the need for a reboot
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Nothinman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommo123 View Post
the problem is, i delay the reboot often, then a week goes by and i still haven't restarted as something always ***es up** the reboot nags piss me off and i turn off windows update** 2 weeks later i reboot and on seeing the "updating" i turn on windows update again** then i have more to do**

as far as shared libraries are concerned - couldn't it store the old one in a virtual location? kinda like how changes to program files go into your users folder or something like that anyway?

then once the program stops using it, it's deleted? i mean if it works on resuming then on a basic level it's possible right? just needs microsoft to do some work?

even better would be if windows didn't need to be restarted for updates** if the graphics driver crashing doesn't crash the system anymore (uses a safe driver run on the cpu i think yes?) then couldn't other parts of the system be run the same way? maybe eliminating the need for a reboot
I'm talking about shared library locations in memory not on disk** With WinSxS and all of the other crap MS has done to fix DLL hell I'm sure there is a copy on disk somewhere, but if you update the one the process was using shit's going to go badly** There was a group of people working on real-time memory patching for Linux in order to update libraries and even the kernel in memory, but it's a very touchy process and I don't think it's ever been done well enough to be pushed out and used mainstream**

What you describe is sort of how updating files works on Linux** If a file is deleted with an open file handle the data isn't deleted until the last file handle is closed** So if you replace a shared library by delete, copy all of the processes using the old one are still using it even though you can't see the file any longer and any new processes get the new one** I don't believe Windows file locking is that flexible or at least processes don't handle it well because it was assumed that opened files were locked and couldn't be deleted**

I don't think reboots are hard required for most updates in the sense you're thinking** It's just that a reboot is the only way to restart some services (like RDP) and make sure they get the patch applied**

And why in the hell is this thing replacing my periods with **?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
tommo123
Platinum Member

i have no idea** i didn't know what you were doing till that last sentence!

thanks for the info though NM

oh fuck, it's doing it to me too**
Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Nothinman
Elite Member

Looks like someone's messing with the content filter/replacement in the background and doesn't know how regular expressions work@#@#@#@#@#@#