Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
steve wilson

Default Laptop batteries

Hi,
I've never had a laptop battery fail on me before, but now I have 2 fail at once... one on my cousins Laptop and one on my father in laws.

One is a Dell and it's going to cost 98 from Dell, but I have found one for around 50 off google which is not an official Dell battery. The other one is a Toshiba and I haven't looked at the pricing yet.

Should I buy the one from Dell/Toshiba or is it OK to buy one of these half price ones from a random online website off google?
steve wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
NutBucket
Lifer

How old are the laptops in question? This is the deciding factor for me. If they're mid-life or slightly past its probably not worth it to spend top dollar for the OEM replacement.
NutBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
corkyg
Peripherals

The useful life of a laptop battery used in a variety of average conditions is about three to four years. Since these were different machines, etc., you may just be the victim of coincidence.

3rd party batteries can give decent service. I think they are worth a shot.

... Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage. And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really really critical for the thing to pass...... Dr. J. Gruber, ACA Architectural Consultant
corkyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
zephyrprime
Diamond Member

I buy from ebay. Don't pay ridiculous prices from the oem.
zephyrprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #5
steve wilson

Thanks for the advice, I'll buy the cheaper ones... They are both only about 18-24 months old, which is what surprised me. I would expect at least 3 years of use... Having said that they do treat them like desktops and leave them on over night downloading sometimes. So they have been hammered a bit.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
corkyg
Peripherals

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wilson View Post
... Having said that they do treat them like desktops and leave them on over night downloading sometimes. So they have been hammered a bit.
Definitely not good. If that is the way they like to run, suggest they remove the batteries and run solely on A/C power.

... Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage. And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really really critical for the thing to pass...... Dr. J. Gruber, ACA Architectural Consultant
corkyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
steve wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
Definitely not good. If that is the way they like to run, suggest they remove the batteries and run solely on A/C power.
I agree... they don't take them anywhere, just use them in their Living rooms as they watch TV. But they still want a battery.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
jumpncrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wilson View Post
I agree... they don't take them anywhere, just use them in their Living rooms as they watch TV. But they still want a battery.
In that case they are gonna have to deal with buying new batteries.
jumpncrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
dolbark

Replacements are a good option, but I would recommend only buying the ones say they use the same high quality cells like the ones found in your OEM equipment. Example Samsung/Sanyo/Panasonic/Sony/and LG are makers of the li-ion cells found in your original battery from the factory If the replacement battery reseller is selling a battery that uses good cells they are going to state it. If they don't then you don't want that battery period!

Also, once you find a someone that is selling a battery that uses quality cells, you need to know what the capacity rating mean. Here is how I translate the capacity numbers into something meaningful that most understand.

4400mAh 6 cell batteries = older technology/ low capacity...but inexpensive! Expect about 1-2 years of service life with about the same battery runtimes as you previously had from your original battery. (Most current laptops still have batteries that are rated at 4400mAh - to 4850mAh)

5200 mAh Batteries = Used by many OEM's and last about 2 years. Capacity is good, meaning you should be able to run a decent amount time unplugged as well.

5600/5800 mAh Batteries = State of the art advanced Li-Ion as of 2011. Capacity is very high and so is service life. Expect 2-3 years between replacements and extra power that you never had before to run unplugged longer! As an example here is the one I bought for myself recently http://www.safebatteries.com/dell-31...k-5800mah.html

Hope this helps,

Oh, one last thing If the only thing stated about the cells being used are that they are "Grade A" then LEAVE FAST! This is a pet peeve of mine. Stating the term "Grade A" is a misleading term for consumers. "Grade A" is an actual term, but it is relative to each and every manufacture and does not imply anything about performance or quality to the consumer. Example, some no-name factory is selling "Grade A" cell at x price. That same "Grade A" cell may be considered "Grade C" or worse by Panasonic or Samsung! It just means they are the best cells that a particular factory can make.
dolbark is offline   Reply With Quote