Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > CPUs and Overclocking

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #76
Rvenger
VC&G Moderator
 
Rvenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minitron View Post

This coming from the person who claims that an i3 will be bogged down by light multitasking which somehow C2D's and Athlon X2's still handle fine.

AMD fanboys get uptight when you use factual data.

Here we go again with promoting dual core CPUs. Well if you lived in 2006 your outlook would look great now. But we are going from 2012 to 2013... Sooner or later the dual core cpu will go the way of the


__________________
i7-5820k - MSI X99S SLI Plus - 16gb Crucial 2133mhz DDR4 - Visiontek R9 290 - 256gb Adata SP900 - 1tb Seagate XT - Asus Xonar DGX - NZXT 850w Modular PSU - CM Storm Stryker

i7-2700k - ECS H61H2-I - 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz DDR3 - Powercolor PCS+ HD 7950 - 80gb X25M Intel SSD - 500gb Seagate 7200.12 - EVGA 500w PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy Red
Rvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #77
SPBHM
Platinum Member
 
SPBHM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvenger View Post
Here we go again with promoting dual core CPUs. Well if you lived in 2006 your outlook would look great now. But we are going from 2012 to 2013... Sooner or later the dual core cpu will go the way of the


it's a dual core, but each core performs a lot better than a 2006 CPU, also HT makes this CPU handle 4 threads a lot better than 2006 dual core CPUs, at the best cases it performs much higher than a 2006 CPU and the FX 6100, now on the worst cases (MT, rendering like: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/863-...ray-v-ray.html) we are talking about +- q6600-q6700 stock performance (but with much lower power usage), so for ST the i3 is MUCH faster than a 2006 CPU, for MT is equivalent to a quad core from 2006-2007, now the i3 supports instructions that the 2006 CPUs doesn't and it have much higher I/O performance I think, so it's not accurate to compare it to old dual core CPUs.... now for gaming and basic usage the i3 is great, for rendring not so much, but still much better than old dual cores.

in some cases it's clear that the i3 lacks in terms of MT performance, but single/dual core performance is still important for many applications, and the i3 is clearly faster for that than the FX6100, so it's not that simple.
SPBHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #78
Stingercjc
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf64 View Post
Never mind minitroll, he can't help but troll on AMD users. Best advice is to ignore him.

And remember,usually FX6x00 cannot even run games,it crashes with BSODs. If it manages to run them you get 10fps and unplayable system. /sarcasm
Good plan. There's probably no hope of changing his mind even with facts. He sounds like your typical forum blowhard.
Stingercjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #79
infoiltrator
Senior Member
 
infoiltrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Waterbury, CT
Posts: 660
Default

The I3 3220 and B75 are a fine choice.
Some people are just fanatical.

Have fun!
__________________
Damn the cost, full build ahead! I wish.
infoiltrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #80
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPBHM View Post
it's a dual core, but each core performs a lot better than a 2006 CPU, also HT makes this CPU handle 4 threads a lot better than 2006 dual core CPUs, at the best cases it performs much higher than a 2006 CPU and the FX 6100, now on the worst cases (MT, rendering like: http://www.hardware.fr/articles/863-...ray-v-ray.html) we are talking about +- q6600-q6700 stock performance (but with much lower power usage), so for ST the i3 is MUCH faster than a 2006 CPU, for MT is equivalent to a quad core from 2006-2007, now the i3 supports instructions that the 2006 CPUs doesn't and it have much higher I/O performance I think, so it's not accurate to compare it to old dual core CPUs.... now for gaming and basic usage the i3 is great, for rendring not so much, but still much better than old dual cores.

in some cases it's clear that the i3 lacks in terms of MT performance, but single/dual core performance is still important for many applications, and the i3 is clearly faster for that than the FX6100, so it's not that simple.

A well reasoned post. Both pro intel and pro AMD camps tend to simplify to show their particular processer favorably. AMD fans always bring up multi-threaded benchmarks, and say "but it costs less", while intel fans retort that it is faster per core and uses less power.

So it really comes down to your usage. Personally, I only game and do lightly threaded tasks, so I would not even consider AMD for the desktop, period. I also would not actually consider dual core intel. For gaming, I think the minimum should be an i5. As I have already said, if you have the money to get into gaming, I think it is worth it to save up or do whatever is needed to get a quad core intel. For light gaming on the go, an I would consider an AMD laptop, but again, AMD fans tend to overstate the capabilities of their APU.

If you are into the particular productivity tasks that AMD is good at, AMD offers attractive performance per dollar, although the power consumption does still bother me. I do not agree with the posters who are so ready to dismiss dual cores though, especially the i3. I work in a research lab, and we handle some large patient data bases in access and excel, and even previous generation dual cores without HT are more than adequate. Even for gaming, I dont think anyone can say how long an i3 will be adequate, unlike the poster above who says it will be useless in a year. For gaming though, it just makes sense to me to get at least i5.
frozentundra123456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #81
Born.9inety4our
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoiltrator View Post
The I3 3220 and B75 are a fine choice.
Some people are just fanatical.

Have fun!
nice. thanks, that's the only answer i'm looking for.
yeah i agree, they're too off topic LOL
Born.9inety4our is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #82
sm625
Diamond Member
 
sm625's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,665
Default

Keep in mind that if you buy an A10 you can always retire it into a competent backup gaming rig for LAN type parties. I would get the A10 if prices were equal. The 3220 should be cheaper than the A10. It would have to be at least $20 cheaper for me to take it over an A10.
__________________
I am looking for a cheap upgrade to my 3 year old computer.
AT forum member #1: Buy a 4790k

I am looking for a way to get 10 more fps in TF2.
AT forum member #2: Buy a 4790k
sm625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #83
minitron
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm625 View Post
Keep in mind that if you buy an A10 you can always retire it into a competent backup gaming rig for LAN type parties. I would get the A10 if prices were equal. The 3220 should be cheaper than the A10. It would have to be at least $20 cheaper for me to take it over an A10.
He's already getting a dedicated video card and the i3 has superior CPU performance. Why should he get the A10 when he's not going to use it's iGPU, the primary reason to get the A10.
minitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #84
Rvenger
VC&G Moderator
 
Rvenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minitron View Post
He's already getting a dedicated video card and the i3 has superior CPU performance. Why should he get the A10 when he's not going to use it's iGPU, the primary reason to get the A10.

IMO, the A10 wouldn't make sense if you were planning on using a dedicated card. I purchased an A8-5600k and overclocked it to 4ghz on all 4 cores. Right now its running faster than an A10 and its dead even with an i3. I paid $87 for the CPU. (Had a gift card from newegg)
__________________
i7-5820k - MSI X99S SLI Plus - 16gb Crucial 2133mhz DDR4 - Visiontek R9 290 - 256gb Adata SP900 - 1tb Seagate XT - Asus Xonar DGX - NZXT 850w Modular PSU - CM Storm Stryker

i7-2700k - ECS H61H2-I - 8gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz DDR3 - Powercolor PCS+ HD 7950 - 80gb X25M Intel SSD - 500gb Seagate 7200.12 - EVGA 500w PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy Red
Rvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #85
infoiltrator
Senior Member
 
infoiltrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Waterbury, CT
Posts: 660
Default

And for overclocking you generally need to spend more on the motherboard and cooler, which counts.
Unless you like overclocking for the sake of overclocking.

I also prefer the clear upgrade path of the Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge.
__________________
Damn the cost, full build ahead! I wish.
infoiltrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #86
phenomkid7
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf64 View Post
Yeah just buy a locked dual core i3 @ 3Ghz and be "good" for a decade,right? Just don't try doing more than 2 things at the same time on your PC,it might feel a bit sluggish.
What a fucking toolbag fanboy
phenomkid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #87
Phynaz
Diamond Member
 
Phynaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomkid7 View Post
What a [nice guy]
Suggestion: Read the rules before posting.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abwx View Post
I saw good resolutions pics of the so called lunar module, heck, that s quite a piece of garbage with badly jointed metalic and litteraly hammered plates, seriously, you think that this piece of metalic junk actualy landed on the moon..??
Phynaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #88
inf64
Platinum Member
 
inf64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomkid7 View Post
What a fucking toolbag fanboy
Wow,you came up with that all by yourself? Or somebody helped you
__________________
ShintaiDK:"There will be no APU in PS4 and Xbox720."
ShintaiDK:"No quadchannel either.[in Kaveri]"
CHADBOGA:"Because he[OBR] is a great man."
inf64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.