· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
NFS4
No Lifer

Thumbs up Lt. Ronald Speirs: The Honey Badger of WWII

In honor of Veterans Day, I've been watching Band of Brothers all day long (I've probably watched the series 5 or 6 times all the way through by now)

Anyway, watching episode "The Breaking Point" and I am always in awe of the huge set of brass nuts that Speirs had after relieving Dike.

http://youtu.be/HS1qfIsINh8

All in all, Chuck Norris has nothing on Speirs

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/speirs.html

Last edited by NFS4; 11-11-2012 at 10:32 PM.
NFS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
Baked
Lifer

I have both BoB and The Pacific on BR. If only I have time to watch them.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
arrfep
Platinum Member

Him jumping through the smoke in that episode is one of my favorite scenes in the entire series.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Farmer
Diamond Member

When you said Lt. Speirs I knew exactly what video you'd post.

Really amazing.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
Printer Bandit
Lifer

Speirs, shine on you crazy diamond.
Printer Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
Arkaign
Lifer

I love that guy!

My favorite BAMF WW2 guy is Ben Salomon though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_L._Salomon

Shame he died, but holy .. what a beast mode he pulled before buying it.

Salutations!

Medal of Honor Citation :

CAPTAIN BEN L. SALOMON
UNITED STATES ARMY

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:

Captain Ben L. Salomon was serving at Saipan, in the Marianas Islands on July 7, 1944, as the Surgeon for the 2nd Battalion, 105th Infantry Regiment, 27th Infantry Division. The Regiment’s 1st and 2d Battalions were attacked by an overwhelming force estimated between 3,000 and 5,000 Japanese soldiers. It was one of the largest attacks attempted in the Pacific Theater during World War II. Although both units fought furiously, the enemy soon penetrated the Battalions’ combined perimeter and inflicted overwhelming casualties. In the first minutes of the attack, approximately 30 wounded soldiers walked, crawled, or were carried into Captain Salomon’s aid station, and the small tent soon filled with wounded men. As the perimeter began to be overrun, it became increasingly difficult for Captain Salomon to work on the wounded. He then saw a Japanese soldier bayoneting one of the wounded soldiers lying near the tent. Firing from a squatting position, Captain Salomon quickly killed the enemy soldier. Then, as he turned his attention back to the wounded, two more Japanese soldiers appeared in the front entrance of the tent. As these enemy soldiers were killed, four more crawled under the tent walls. Rushing them, Captain Salomon kicked the knife out of the hand of one, shot another, and bayoneted a third. Captain Salomon butted the fourth enemy soldier in the stomach and a wounded comrade then shot and killed the enemy soldier. Realizing the gravity of the situation, Captain Salomon ordered the wounded to make their way as best they could back to the regimental aid station, while he attempted to hold off the enemy until they were clear. Captain Salomon then grabbed a rifle from one of the wounded and rushed out of the tent. After four men were killed while manning a machine gun, Captain Salomon took control of it. When his body was later found, 98 dead enemy soldiers were piled in front of his position. Captain Salomon’s extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #7
NFS4
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaign View Post
After four men were killed while manning a machine gun, Captain Salomon took control of it. When his body was later found, 98 dead enemy soldiers were piled in front of his position.
Like a boss!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
Red Squirrel
Lifer

You know someone's a serious bad ass when he has two grenades strapped to his coat, ready to rock and roll. Out of ammo? Throw grenade.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
MarkXIX
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
You know someone's a serious bad ass when he has two grenades strapped to his coat, ready to rock and roll. Out of ammo? Throw grenade.
Pretty much this.
MarkXIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
NFS4
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Or capping a Sgt. between the eyes for being drunk and disobeying a direct order twice during combat

Honey badger don't care, honey badger don't give a shit!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
blackdogdeek
Lifer

lol

speirs: "that's right! wait here!" <runs off>
Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
Ichinisan
Lifer

Quote:
I love that guy!

Salutations!

CAPTAIN BEN L. SALOMON
UNITED STATES ARMY

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:

Captain Ben L. Salomon was serving at Saipan, in the Marianas Islands on July 7, 1944, as the Surgeon for the 2nd Battalion, 105th Infantry Regiment, 27th Infantry Division. The Regiment’s 1st and 2d Battalions were attacked by an overwhelming force estimated between 3,000 and 5,000 Japanese soldiers. It was one of the largest attacks attempted in the Pacific Theater during World War II. Although both units fought furiously, the enemy soon penetrated the Battalions’ combined perimeter and inflicted overwhelming casualties. In the first minutes of the attack, approximately 30 wounded soldiers walked, crawled, or were carried into Captain Salomon’s aid station, and the small tent soon filled with wounded men. As the perimeter began to be overrun, it became increasingly difficult for Captain Salomon to work on the wounded. He then saw a Japanese soldier bayoneting one of the wounded soldiers lying near the tent. Firing from a squatting position, Captain Salomon quickly killed the enemy soldier. Then, as he turned his attention back to the wounded, two more Japanese soldiers appeared in the front entrance of the tent. As these enemy soldiers were killed, four more crawled under the tent walls. Rushing them, Captain Salomon kicked the knife out of the hand of one, shot another, and bayoneted a third. Captain Salomon butted the fourth enemy soldier in the stomach and a wounded comrade then shot and killed the enemy soldier. Realizing the gravity of the situation, Captain Salomon ordered the wounded to make their way as best they could back to the regimental aid station, while he attempted to hold off the enemy until they were clear. Captain Salomon then grabbed a rifle from one of the wounded and rushed out of the tent. After four men were killed while manning a machine gun, Captain Salomon took control of it. When his body was later found, 98 dead enemy soldiers were piled in front of his position. Captain Salomon’s extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.
Honor him.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:22 AM   #13
angminas
Platinum Member

When I saw the title, I thought, hmm, why haven't I heard of this badass? Then I thought, Ronald Speirs...sounds kinda famiOH YEAH that guy! Too bad there's no footage of the real run. That would be the most amazing thing ever filmed.
When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. (Proverbs 16:7)
angminas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #14
Emos
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS4 View Post
Like a boss!
Dude was a surgeon no less!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #15
waggy
No Lifer

Quote:
I love that guy!

Salutations!

CAPTAIN BEN L. SALOMON
UNITED STATES ARMY

wow.

last year i spent a day reading about people who got the MOH. some of those stories seem fake. but what makes it even more amazing? they are all real.

just fucking mind blowing. really awe inspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
I have both BoB and The Pacific on BR. If only I have time to watch them.
I have BOB on blu-ray. I have tried to watch the Pacific but just couldn't get into it. maybe i will try again since i have HBO for 3 months and it always seems to be on.
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
clamum
Lifer

Yeah Speirs is a true badass. I don't know who I admire more, him or Winters. Fuck, all the guys featured in BoB are truly great.

I really need to get BoB on blu-Ray (and The Pacific too).
Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
yllus
Lifer
Elite Member

I know that the writer on badassoftheweek.com is just being over the top for dramatic purposes, but I wish he wouldn't insult Lt. Dike (whom Speirs took over company command from) for getting shell shocked in battle.

Nobody truly knows how they'll react when bullets are whizzing overhead, and even so-called battle hardened veterans have been known to crack up after months or years of hanging tough. Hell I think Band of Brothers even shows Buck Compton doing exactly that, and he was a man's man.

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." - H.L. Mencken
yllus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #18
NFS4
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllus View Post
I know that the writer on badassoftheweek.com is just being over the top for dramatic purposes, but I wish he wouldn't insult Lt. Dike (whom Speirs took over company command from) for getting shell shocked in battle.

Nobody truly knows how they'll react when bullets are whizzing overhead, and even so-called battle hardened veterans have been known to crack up after months or years of hanging tough. Hell I think Band of Brothers even shows Buck Compton doing exactly that, and he was a man's man.
Well, Dike showed that he was incompetent well before that "shell shocked" incident.

Lipton: "Lieutenant Dike wasn’t a bad leader because he made bad decisions. He was a bad leader because he made no decisions."
Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
Exterous
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggy View Post
last year i spent a day reading about people who got the MOH. some of those stories seem fake. but what makes it even more amazing? they are all real.

just fucking mind blowing. really awe inspiring
Yeah - until I read about the lives of those that survived. I don't remember specifics from the book I read but it seemed like an awful lot ended up leading depressing lives or getting shot by some bugler.

Still a big for what they did

"It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifiling exception, is composed of others" - John Andrew Holmes
Exterous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
MarkXIX
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have BOB on blu-ray. I have tried to watch the Pacific but just couldn't get into it. maybe i will try again since i have HBO for 3 months and it always seems to be on.
The Pacific takes some time to get into. There's a lot more depiction of the "hopelessness" of that theater of conflict.

Where BoB was about the camraderie derived of the brutality inherent in their situation, The Pacific is more about the emotional toll that war takes on you and the contrasts between home life and life at war. If you go into it understanding that, it's easier to watch.
MarkXIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
halik
Lifer

Wow didn't realize Dick Winters has passed last year. RIP.
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.
halik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #22
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
wow.

just fucking mind blowing. really awe inspiring.
Realize for each story there for a MoH there are 10+ stories just like that happened.

Some made it out alive, others had a REMF that screwed them on the paperwork.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #23
GTaudiophile
Lifer

Funny, I watch BoB at this time of year too. Love watching it each and every time!

GTaudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #24
NFS4
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Funny, I watch BoB at this time of year too. Love watching it each and every time!
Whenever it's on TV, I'll watch it. I still need to watch The Pacific. We don't have HBO, so I guess I'll have to catch it when I can find a hot deal on the Blu-ray version.

However, I've heard that it's kinda "meh" and not nearly as good as BoB
Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
Gibsons
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS4 View Post
Whenever it's on TV, I'll watch it. I still need to watch The Pacific. We don't have HBO, so I guess I'll have to catch it when I can find a hot deal on the Blu-ray version.

However, I've heard that it's kinda "meh" and not nearly as good as BoB
It's worth a watch. BoB is definitely better.
When a tiger's around!
Gibsons is offline   Reply With Quote