· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
RhoXS

Default NAS Replacement Opinions

I use a NAS primarily to store our 25 GB music library. This allows both my wife and I to have access to it from our respective computers. I also use it as a backup location but this is veruy much a secondary role. The NAS is hardwired into the same 8 port switch that serves all the hard wired devices on our home network.

I was previously using a DLink DNS323. It worked well and it was always accessible without problem from both the hardwired computers and wireless laptops. There was never any network connectivity problems and I could always use Windows Explorer to transfer files and folders to/from it. However, it was very slow with terrible transfer rates (<10 MB/sec). It also ran hot because of the pathetic little fan on the back of it.

A few months ago I replaced the DS323 with a Synology DS212. The DS212 has excellent transfer rates but it has serious network connectivity issues. It is hit or miss if can be seen on the network using Windows Explorer and iTunes frequently does not see it even though it is setup to go to a mapped folder on the DS212. I spoke with Synology Tech Support and they readily (to their credit) acknowledged a problem but also stated they had no solution.

So, I now have a $300 NAS that has great transfer rates, but only during the seemingly rare occasions when it can be seen on our network. As a result I simply have accepted the fact I wasted $300 and am now looking for a fast 2 bay NAS, in the $300 range, that does not have any network connectivity issues. I also do not care about or have any need for all the bells and whistles that came with the DS212. All I want is a fast device that has reliable network connectivity and I can manage manually with Windows Explorer. I will take the single folder stored on it with our music library and map it with a drive letter on my computer and on my wife's computer. Any suggestions on a device more reliable than the DS212 would be appreciated as I would like to avoid wasting another $300.
WD 750 GB Caviar Black
8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
EVGA 9800GTX Graphics
Corsair H50
Corsair HX850W Power Supply
Corsair 600T Case
W7 Professional 64 bit
RhoXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
JoeMcJoe

For the NAS, make sure it has a static IP address. In your router reserve its IP address in the DHCP server.
JoeMcJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
thecoolnessrune
Diamond Member

This would be a tough sell because the Synology setups are very robust and about as good as they come in the home market. Like Joe referenced, I would probably put effort in fixing that than suggesting something better because quite frankly you won't get it.

What kind of share are you using? NFS or SMB?

I'm for poop.
thecoolnessrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
kevnich2
Platinum Member

What issues did synology say they have? Synology and qnap are some of the best nas manuacturers in the market. The ds212 also has awesome reviews all over. No one seems to be having issues with theirs.
kevnich2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
RhoXS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevnich2 View Post
What issues did synology say they have? Synology and qnap are some of the best nas manuacturers in the market. The ds212 also has awesome reviews all over. No one seems to be having issues with theirs.
The Synology Tech Rep stated there is a problem with Windows Explorer reliably seeing the DS212. He went on to say they do not have a solution for it. It was obvious he had heard many other complaints about the same issue.

The problem is very erratic and mostly unpredictable when it occurs. As a result it is hard to precisely define except to say it is frequently not possible to access folders/files on the DS212. It is also difficult to troubleshoot because once I somehow get it to be responsive it stays that way for some undefinable period of time.

Immediately after a reboot I can almost always access the DS212 from either Windows Explorer or iTunes even though an error message always pops up stating that Windows could not connect to a mapped drive. Windows Explorer almost always has a red 'X' to the left of the DS212 mapped drive.

Typically, some time after the machine has been up and running, I lose the ability to access the DS212, even though the DS212 may not be asleep. Now this is where it gets inconsistent. I found if I temporarily turn off the firewall (ESET) Windows Explorer will access the DS212. As soon as I have access to the DS212 I can immediately turn the firewall back on and I do not lose access. So, based on this observation, I uninstalled the entire ESet suite but, to my surprise, found the problem still remained.

The problem exists on all the computers connected to my home network (3 hard wired desktops and two wireless laptops).

Also, someone suggested using a static IP address. I just set it to 192.168.1.89. Now have to wait a while to see if this helps.

So, I am out of solutions and patience with it. Synology did nothing but to say this is a known problem that they cannot help with and, in spite of a lot of effort, I have been unable to make it work reliably. My old Dlink DNS323 worked perfectly, albeit painfully slow, so I can see no reason the DS212 can also not work.

Thanks for the suggestions.
WD 750 GB Caviar Black
8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
EVGA 9800GTX Graphics
Corsair H50
Corsair HX850W Power Supply
Corsair 600T Case
W7 Professional 64 bit

Last edited by RhoXS; 11-13-2012 at 03:50 AM.
RhoXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
Demo24
Diamond Member

Make sure that IP is out of your dhcp range. Ie, set your dhcp range on the router to 192.168.1.100-(whatever you want up to 254). I doubt anything would pull that address now, but better be safe.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Emulex
Diamond Member

disable ipv6 and flow control if possible. causes some wonky stuff to happen with the windows fallback system (ipv6-> ipv4).

or get a proliant microserver and rock 2012 on it
Browser: Dell 530 Q6600 4GB - Kingston 96gb -gt240- hp LP3065 IPS - 7ult
Tabs: IPAD 1,2,3 IPOD3,HTC flyer, Galaxy Tab - all rooted/jb
Couch1: Macbook Air/Macbook White
Couch2: Macbook Pro 17 2.66 Matte screen - 8GB - SSD
HTPC: Asus C2Q8300/X25-V - Geforce 430- 7ult - Antec MicroFusion 350
Emulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #8
JoeMcJoe

Map a drive letter to your static IP, it'll work.
JoeMcJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
joedtr

As Demo24 stated, make sure your static IP is outside the range of your DHCP server. I was having the same issues you are and this turned out to be the problem. Seems the DHCP server was bumping the DS212 off line.
joedtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
fov001

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
The Synology Tech Rep stated there is a problem with Windows Explorer reliably seeing the DS212. He went on to say they do not have a solution for it. It was obvious he had heard many other complaints about the same issue.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Is this known issue with the DS212 models or all sinology's product? I am thinking about getting the DS412+ and I haven't heard any similar issues.

Please let me know. Thanks!
fov001 is offline   Reply With Quote