Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > PC Gaming

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
dpodblood
Diamond Member
 
dpodblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 3,976
Default COD: How do you get to be any good?

OK to start I'm not a serious multiplayer gamer. I only really started playing MP games a few years ago, and even then I only play casually. Most of my gaming time is spent focused on SP games. Even so I have to ask how does someone get to be any good at a Call of Duty game? How do you even get over the frustration barrier?

I've played several of the newer COD games in MP. MW2, BO, and MW3. Every time I try to get into them I end up quitting out of sheer frustration. First off it seems like there is an obvious hacker in every second game I get into. Someone who is very visibly wall hacking or aimbotting. Pretty easy to tell with the kill cam. Secondly I just get my ass handed to me constantly. Whether I run and gun, or try to go about things more tactically the same thing always tends to happen. Go around a corner... die. Try to capture an objective... die. Kill a couple of dudes... die. Half the time it doesn't even seem to make sense. I get the drop on a guy, start pumping him full of led, and next thing you know he whips around 90 degrees and kills me. What??

Then there are the killstreaks. Some how even the average player seems to get kill streaks so easily. Next thing you know there is a helicopter hovering around the map wiping me and my team out over and over. Of course nobody can take the thing down because it absorbs an insane amount of ammo, and nobody has thought to equip a rocket launcher. More often than not I end up loosing. You'd think I'd win a team game here and there just out of dumb luck. But no. More often than not I end up with a KDR less than 1 and another loss on my record.

So my question is how do you get to be good at this game? How do you get over the frustration barrier? Is it just that other players have been playing this series for so long it's just impossible for me to catch up with the average players skill level?

Just as an extra note, I've played a bit of BF3 online and never find myself this frustrated. I'm usually at the top half of the scoreboard in that game, and when I die I at least know why, and feel like I had a fighting chance.
dpodblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Dankk
Diamond Member
 
Dankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mormonville, Utah
Posts: 5,218
Default

Click on your enemies before they click on you.
__________________
AMD FX-8350 4.2GHz | HIS Radeon iPower IceQ X R9 290X
MSI 990FXA-GD80 (V2) | G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 1600
Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB HD
SeaSonic M12II Bronze 620W PSU

Steam
Dankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,916
Default

Lower your mouse sensitivity. Buy a good monitor and headphones. Have high FPS.

PLAY CONSTANTLY. The only reason I got as good as I am is because I used to play COUO and COD2 like 8 hours a day in college. Sad I know, but I had too much time on my hands back then(art major LOL).

I had a real breakthrough in my gameplay after I watched a few frag videos and saw what was actually possible. Once I started playing based on what others were capable of and not what I thought was possible I started improving drastically.

This guy is playing in a tournament setting with people actually watching him in person. No cheats. Just using muscle memory and sound to get the job done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5poT...eature=related


Just because a person aims super fast like an aimbot doesn't mean they are cheating. It means they have put in the time to build muscle memory. You build muscle memory by playing. So, my advice to you is to lower mouse sensitivity and play. Larger movements with lower sensitivity make playing games easier.
VulgarDisplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Venom20
Senior Member
 
Venom20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 259
Default

This might sound strange at first, but try using a burst (or single shot) AR on hardcore.

This will force you to land your first shot. Landing your first shot is critical to winning gun fights. Once you have developed your accuracy, you should be golden.

The reason i say play HC is so that you can learn to watch for stray bullets as indicators of enemy placements. Since there are no kill cams, this becomes your second sight when you are killed. This should promote better map awareness.

Thirdly, on HC you generally don't have to worry about a gun being too OP. In all games there are always 2-3 guns that are overused because they are superior in one way or the other. There is a greater diversity, this will allow you to play as you want and not as the game dictates.

This is what worked for me, I hope that something helps you enjoy the game better. but as has been stated, practice will make you better.
Venom20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
power_hour
Senior Member
 
power_hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: nowhere important
Posts: 789
Default

Pretending their all your ex and they have your credit card. Guaranteed to improve your rage score.
power_hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
Lower your mouse sensitivity. Buy a good monitor and headphones. Have high FPS.

PLAY CONSTANTLY. The only reason I got as good as I am is because I used to play COUO and COD2 like 8 hours a day in college. Sad I know, but I had too much time on my hands back then(art major LOL).

I had a real breakthrough in my gameplay after I watched a few frag videos and saw what was actually possible. Once I started playing based on what others were capable of and not what I thought was possible I started improving drastically.

This guy is playing in a tournament setting with people actually watching him in person. No cheats. Just using muscle memory and sound to get the job done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5poT...eature=related


Just because a person aims super fast like an aimbot doesn't mean they are cheating. It means they have put in the time to build muscle memory. You build muscle memory by playing. So, my advice to you is to lower mouse sensitivity and play. Larger movements with lower sensitivity make playing games easier.
Your advice is good. However, some people are just naturally more gifted than others in the skills it takes to play online FPS games. Personally, either strategy or FPS games I play mostly single player, because no matter how much I play, I tend to get beaten pretty badly online. Part of it may be because I am older and my reflexes and vision are not as good as they once were. I also think there is a lot of hacking going on in some games, you just cant deny this. So, while your advice is good, eventually one will reach a plateau and sort of stay there. Kind of like I could throw passes 12 hours per day and never become Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.
frozentundra123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
Udgnim
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,032
Default

isn't it just have good map awareness and shoot people before they start shooting you?

my understanding is that CoD gun mechanics are very simple and are basically all hit-scan with no recoil, so just need to have map awareness to be more prepared than your opponent and not be a complete spazz at aiming
Udgnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:33 AM   #8
supremor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 266
Default

I wouldn't call myself a CoD veteran but I've put in around 700 hours in the MP (across MW2/BO/MW3, yes I actually enjoy the CoD style of play). I consider myself slightly above average in skill level and nothing more and yet it didn't take me long to start dominating in the MW games. First of all you need good fps and preferably good headphones with 3d positional audio because it makes a HUGE difference. I can't count the number of times I heard an enemy coming around a corner and popped him the second he turned it thanks to it.

Since most maps are either small or at best medium sized I recommend using a SMG for most maps except ones that have several large open areas (1-2 maps at most in any given release). Never hipfire unless at point blank range, ADS before turning a corner and use flash/stun grenades often. I find that using a silencer is great because its much easier to remain undetected when you don't light up the minimap with every shot. As for killstreaks, either carry a rocket launcher since you can never depend on anyone to shoot that crap down or use the perk that hides you from them alltogether and forget about it.

Lastly, CoD is a twitch shooter with hitscan guns that have little/no recoil in most cases and its mainly about map knowledge (extremely important) and quick target acquisition. Point and click the bad guy before he does the same to you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmanred View Post
Watercooled and OC'ed = not warrantied.
Don't be a Tweakboy, have some integrity.
supremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
dpodblood
Diamond Member
 
dpodblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 3,976
Default

Thanks for the advise guys. I imagine that map memorization is a huge part of it. I am always getting killed because someone enters a room from some entrance I didn't know about, or is camped out in some place I didn't know existed. I also for the most part have no idea where the enemy spawn locations are. TBH I probably just haven't invested enough time to be any good. I only put about 80 hours each into MW2 and BO, with even less into MW3. BO for whatever reason seemed to be the best experience. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I think it has to do with Treyarch's maps being laid out simpler, and the fact that there are dedicated servers with much lower latency.
dpodblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Ashenor
Golden Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,227
Default

So when you say turn sensitivity down, do you me make it so you mouse look slower or faster?

One big issue i have is using my Knife, by the time i hit V i am dead, i need to rebind it to a key on my Naga mouse and probably gernades and stuff to.

I am more then fine with movement, and strafing, but i have a breakdown on aiming and hitting the target.

I am on a mission to improve a lot more with time around!
Ashenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
DeadFred
Golden Member
 
DeadFred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay View Post
This guy is playing in a tournament setting with people actually watching him in person. No cheats. Just using muscle memory and sound to get the job done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5poT...eature=related
That vid brought back great memories, CoD4 was the one of the best competitive games ever created. I used to play with some CEVO guys who were absolutely ridiculous, they handed my ass to me on a platter all the time. LOL
DeadFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
DeadFred
Golden Member
 
DeadFred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashenor View Post
So when you say turn sensitivity down, do you me make it so you mouse look slower or faster?

One big issue i have is using my Knife, by the time i hit V i am dead, i need to rebind it to a key on my Naga mouse and probably gernades and stuff to.

I am more then fine with movement, and strafing, but i have a breakdown on aiming and hitting the target.

I am on a mission to improve a lot more with time around!
Turning the sensitivity down will make your mouse slower.

I always use my middle mouse button for melee and bound another mouse button for stun grenades. I used the standard G button for regular nades.

It takes a ton of practice to learn to aim and deal with the recoil of certain weapons, just keep at it.

If you get in a server and see someone owning, go into spectator mode and watch how they play, you can learn a lot that way. Its a shame most new FPS's have no spectator mode, its one reason they could never be a competitive game. Its been a long time since I played but I think BO has spectate.

And yes all games have cheaters but they are especially rampant in MW2 and MW3, thats what happens when you take away dedicated servers and admins.

Last edited by DeadFred; 11-13-2012 at 10:11 AM.
DeadFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
dpodblood
Diamond Member
 
dpodblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 3,976
Default

Do you guys who log a lot of hours play with friends/clans? I have a few friends who I play PC games with, but none of them are into COD. I guess part of the reason I don't stick with it is because I always just go into random pubs, and getting matched up with a decent team is totally hit or miss.
dpodblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
Regs
Lifer
 
Regs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 16,142
Default

Getting a good feel of what weapons work best for you in each map with long, medium, and short distance weapons. Maps with large open spaces I would use a single fire assault gun, snipers, or LMG gun classes and their perks: stability, recoil, focus perks w/ marksman and quickdraw. Tight corners, and confined spaces can make good use of the SMG's like the p90, MP7, or P99 with :range, steady aim, and assassin.

Everybody has their own style of play. Weather it being spraying from the hip at close ranges, jumping corners, run n' gunning, prone and camping, or cat and mouse. I like to make it fun by switching up my classes or style so it's not competitive. But if you want to try to get the best score each time, try getting use to using one or two guns.

Another tip would be ergonomics. The way you sit in your chair, hold your keyboard and mouse, and how far away you sit from your monitor goes a long way. Your wrist should be as straight as possible and your hand gripping the mouse with your palm of your hand. A good mouse would snug up on your palm giving you better feel for where your turning the mouse. Your knuckles should not be bent either while pressing on the mouse. Believe it, or not, not only does this keep you from straining your arm, but helps your reaction time.
__________________
Edit: I Always edit my messages"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down."
Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Regs; 11-13-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Regs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
dpodblood
Diamond Member
 
dpodblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 3,976
Default

Well I just took the plunge and decided to buy BLOP2. I figure if I'm going to play the game I might as well get an early start and learn the maps. I wanted the game for the campaign and zombies anyway, but hopefully I can get into the multiplayer as well. If anyone want's to play with me hit me up with a PM and we can be Steam buddies.
dpodblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
Ashenor
Golden Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpodblood View Post
Well I just took the plunge and decided to buy BLOP2. I figure if I'm going to play the game I might as well get an early start and learn the maps. I wanted the game for the campaign and zombies anyway, but hopefully I can get into the multiplayer as well. If anyone want's to play with me hit me up with a PM and we can be Steam buddies.
We can noob it up together, heading home early in a bit to play
Ashenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
dpodblood
Diamond Member
 
dpodblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 3,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashenor View Post
We can noob it up together, heading home early in a bit to play
I remoted into my computer from work. Preloading now, and should def be ready by the time I get home (in around 4 hours).
dpodblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #18
supremor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regs View Post
Getting a good feel of what weapons work best for you in each map with long, medium, and short distance weapons. Maps with large open spaces I would use a single fire assault gun, snipers, or LMG gun classes and their perks: stability, recoil, focus perks w/ marksman and quickdraw. Tight corners, and confined spaces can make good use of the SMG's like the p90, MP7, or P99 with :range, steady aim, and assassin.

Everybody has their own style of play. Weather it being spraying from the hip at close ranges, jumping corners, run n' gunning, prone and camping, or cat and mouse. I like to make it fun by switching up my classes or style so it's not competitive. But if you want to try to get the best score each time, try getting use to using one or two guns.

Another tip would be ergonomics. The way you sit in your chair, hold your keyboard and mouse, and how far away you sit from your monitor goes a long way. Your wrist should be as straight as possible and your hand gripping the mouse with your palm of your hand. A good mouse would snug up on your palm giving you better feel for where your turning the mouse. Your knuckles should not be bent either while pressing on the mouse. Believe it, or not, not only does this keep you from straining your arm, but helps your reaction time.
From my experience with CoD using LMG's is usually not that great. Now I'm talking from a min/max loadout perspective so if you just want to have fun with a LMG go ahead. The slow reload time even with perks and the decreased run/sprint speeds are too big a disadvantage for the little value LMG's bring in CoD which is usually a large magazine size and depending on LMG the damage dropoff is lower like the RPD in MW2 would 2hit kill at any range even silenced when perked with stopping power whereas in MW3 LMG's were glorified AR's.

Semi-auto rifles are also harder to do well with than normal AR's so I wouldn't recommend a noob to use one as it can be frustrating. I say pick a midrange AR with little or no recoil for the larger maps (M4/ACR/SCAR tend to fill this role) and stick with the SMG of your choice for most other maps. If you're serious about improving I'd check the damage and recoil charts for all the SMG's and pick one that has low recoil and ok damage. In MW3 I also liked having a special SMG class for the really tiny maps that consisted of a rapid fire P90 with Steady Aim and I forgot what other perks I'd use but it would shred people at close range without even needing to ADS.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmanred View Post
Watercooled and OC'ed = not warrantied.
Don't be a Tweakboy, have some integrity.
supremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadFred View Post
That vid brought back great memories, CoD4 was the one of the best competitive games ever created. I used to play with some CEVO guys who were absolutely ridiculous, they handed my ass to me on a platter all the time. LOL
Yea, COD4 was the only online shooter that I really got into. I usually played on a really great server where profanity/trash talking was not tolerated and you werent verbally abused if you were not as good as other players. I could usually come close to a 50:50 kill/death ratio.

MW2 on the other hand, I hated. Seemed to be killed instantly no matter what. Maybe I just lost my touch or didnt know the maps, but I also think cheating was rampant.
frozentundra123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #20
dpodblood
Diamond Member
 
dpodblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 3,976
Default

Hopped onto Black Ops 2 for about 4 hours last night. Map memorization must have been my biggest issue. Since this is a new game everyone is on an even playing field and I was doing pretty damn good. Played a bunch of hardcore TDM, and in some matches I was getting a KDR of 1:5. Another thing that's nice about BLOPS2 is that the maps actually have some color to them, and the enemies actually stand out more. One of my biggest issues with previous games is that the levels were brown and everyone was wearing brown. I would get picked off and not even see the guy who attacked me.
dpodblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
CVSiN
Diamond Member
 
CVSiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 9,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremor View Post
From my experience with CoD using LMG's is usually not that great. Now I'm talking from a min/max loadout perspective so if you just want to have fun with a LMG go ahead. The slow reload time even with perks and the decreased run/sprint speeds are too big a disadvantage for the little value LMG's bring in CoD which is usually a large magazine size and depending on LMG the damage dropoff is lower like the RPD in MW2 would 2hit kill at any range even silenced when perked with stopping power whereas in MW3 LMG's were glorified AR's.

Semi-auto rifles are also harder to do well with than normal AR's so I wouldn't recommend a noob to use one as it can be frustrating. I say pick a midrange AR with little or no recoil for the larger maps (M4/ACR/SCAR tend to fill this role) and stick with the SMG of your choice for most other maps. If you're serious about improving I'd check the damage and recoil charts for all the SMG's and pick one that has low recoil and ok damage. In MW3 I also liked having a special SMG class for the really tiny maps that consisted of a rapid fire P90 with Steady Aim and I forgot what other perks I'd use but it would shred people at close range without even needing to ADS.
actually the weps in BO2 are very balanced across the boards now. in fact most reviews are calling it to the point of beign boring the weps are so balanced.

the LMGS are INSANE FUN in BO2 with huge mags super high ROF and ... target highlighting and detection and LOW SPREAD..

For sure a different animal than they were before.

I found myself falling in love with the second LMG unlock with its highest ROF in the class.. coupled with a target highlight scope and FMJs and that thing was a 1 shot kill that allowed me to see you targeted with a red triangle on your head from half the map away.

Oh and OP with the new system in BO2 the most kills deosnt matter anymore.. now they are going by SCORE which can be achioved many ways..

I topped the charts several times last night and I am an average shooter.. but I am fearless at taking flags and objectives.. and that racks up points and score streaks fast.
__________________
Originally posted by: AnandTech Moderator
Missing unwritten rules are a bannable offense!

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)






Last edited by CVSiN; 11-14-2012 at 08:36 AM.
CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #22
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member
 
Pr0d1gy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Where I want.
Posts: 7,776
Default

Good for you man. I will probably never buy another CoD because I play on PS3 and it's a doo-doo fest on there but I was ranked in the top 20 on CoD4 under this name and can tell you what the difference is in being a solid random and a top player.

First is obviously aim. Aiming in shooters is the most important skill you can have, period, and it takes years to gain a professional skill level in aiming. Even then, there are really visible differences in aiming skills among even the top players. Let's put it this way. If random Joe aims on target with 10-20% of his shots, Jack pro is on target upwards of 50% or more depending on certain variables. John super pro, now his cursor almost constantly sits on the target. He will obviously not hit every shot but his reticle is on your dude about 80-90% of the gunfight.

Second is timing. Possibly the most underappreciated aspect of playing shooters is the ability to time your trigger pull. When you are pulling your aim one way towards a target that is moving quickly in the opposite direction, the ability to time that shot and hit is critical. The best way to work on timing is to practice the sweeping shot. Instead of lining up a shot, just try to pull the trigger at the perfect time while you pull your aim past your target, i.e. don't just try to sit your reticle on the target, but sweep past him. If you can get to the point where you are comfortable hitting those shots then you will find that your skills have become pretty murderous, unless your aim is horrid.

Third is anticipation. The ability to logically determine your opponent's next step will always give you a leg up on your competition and this holds true with shooters. If you can determine that Joe target is going to probably go around this corner you can post up on it and wait for him and be ready to pull the trigger as soon as you see him. Anticipation is a many layered skill in shooters because there are so many possible conclusions. For instance, if you're sitting in a tower and you hear a guy run by down below do you A) watch the ladder/stairs for him to come up B) get out of the top anticipating that he might throw a c4 or grenade up there and leave you no time to escape, or C) try to snipe him out from up there when he runs past your camp into another area? As you can see, anticipating the proper play is crucial to your survival and success and learning to read your opponents' skill level will play a big part in your ability to anticipate properly.

Fourth is map knowledge. Do you know everything about the map you are playing on? If you do it obviously makes life a lot easier and seriously affects your ability to maximize your skills in all the other aspects I have mentioned. Knowing the map is essential and I recommend knowing them to the point that you know all the glitches & such on each map, because people will have no issue with using them against you...so it is important you know where these areas are and how to counteract them.

Fifth is your ability to remain cool under pressure. This is also a very underrated skill in shooters, but the quickest way to screw up the first 3 skills is to let this one get out of hand. A twitchy, nervous hand will get you killed in these games; as will heavy breathing into your microphone, and a number of other nerves related things that can happen. I've actually died from jumping when someone shot at me and dropping my controller because I had the volume up too high and my nerves were on point because I had smoked a joint before I played...lol

If you can get a solid handle on those 5 skills you will be able to play with just about anyone on any given night.
__________________
And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular; but one must take it because it is RIGHT. -MLK, Jr.
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=35504
Pr0d1gy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #23
dpodblood
Diamond Member
 
dpodblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 3,976
Default

Honestly the "remain cool" skill is probably the one I lack the most. My aim is OK (not great, but can improve), and I'm pretty decent with map memorization/predicting enemy behavior. The issue is when I run into something unexpected. Go around a corner and see and enemy I didn't expect. I start to spaz out - aim and all my other abilities go out the window as I fight for survival.
dpodblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #24
Pr0d1gy
Diamond Member
 
Pr0d1gy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Where I want.
Posts: 7,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpodblood View Post
Honestly the "remain cool" skill is probably the one I lack the most. My aim is OK (not great, but can improve), and I'm pretty decent with map memorization/predicting enemy behavior. The issue is when I run into something unexpected. Go around a corner and see and enemy I didn't expect. I start to spaz out - aim and all my other abilities go out the window as I fight for survival.
That spaz is actually a good thing, you just need to learn to channel that reaction into a quick aim and trigger pull. You'd be amazed how fast you can become when you make that transition. That spaz is a natural fear reaction built into our psyche for survival purposes. It is that fear that makes us focus and move at unnatural levels. If you learn to harness that you can become a very dangerous player. Good luck with your murdering...lol
__________________
And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular; but one must take it because it is RIGHT. -MLK, Jr.
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=35504
Pr0d1gy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #25
dpodblood
Diamond Member
 
dpodblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 3,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0d1gy View Post
That spaz is actually a good thing, you just need to learn to channel that reaction into a quick aim and trigger pull. You'd be amazed how fast you can become when you make that transition. That spaz is a natural fear reaction built into our psyche for survival purposes. It is that fear that makes us focus and move at unnatural levels. If you learn to harness that you can become a very dangerous player. Good luck with your murdering...lol
Channel my inner spaz I must.
dpodblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battlefield, cod

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.