Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #26
waggy
No Lifer
 
waggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 62,885
Default

nope. all 3 of mine i am sure they don't do drugs.

my 2 are 6 adn 10. my oldest (adopteD) is 21 and while no doubt she had tried/done pot she has said she won't do and hasn't done anything harder. considering she is a A student i am fine.
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #27
momeNt
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,245
Default

No I don't, it's a waste of money.

I subscribe to the state testing program which has them installed in urinals and stalls, face detection software verifies the person pissing, and it is tested in the toilet or urinal respectively. You get weekly reports, also get a notification if they haven't been going to the bathrooms during school, in which case I just give them a diuretic before they leave for school and get the report later that afternoon.

To do it yourself is a good way of getting caught and losing the trust of your children.
momeNt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
DAGTA
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 7,963
Default

All you need to know about parenting:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat
DAGTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #29
Paladin3
Golden Member
 
Paladin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 1,818
Default

I would consider the need to drug test my kids as my failure as a parent. We've always been open about drugs, and how they must be fun to do since so many people use them, but that they are currently illegal and the potential drawbacks are too sever to take the chance and risk their future.

They also understand that if they did try drugs the resulting loss of privileges and freedom would make their little experiment not worth trying. They would come home to a room with just a mattress, blankets and school books in it. I'd walk them to and from school each day, and sit behind them in every class if necessary.

Thankfully, all my kids understand how important preparing for their future is, so they are concentrating on school and college and not even thinking about drugs.

Edit: and they understand that trust and privacy have to be earned. We are open about everything and have good two-way communication. We give them trust and privacy in small doses, never more than their underdeveloped decision making skills can handle.
__________________
"I should have been a cowboy. I should have learned to rope and ride. Wearing my six-shooter, riding my pony on a cattle drive. Stealing a young girls heart, just like Gene and Roy. Singing those camp fire songs, oh, I should've been a cowboy!"

Last edited by Paladin3; 11-12-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Paladin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #30
techs
Lifer
 
techs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 28,047
Default

I wonder how many of the parents who say they are sure their kids are not doing drugs have kids who are doing drugs?
__________________
Imagine a really good sig is here.
techs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #31
lxskllr
Lifer
 
lxskllr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 36,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techs View Post
I wonder how many of the parents who say they are sure their kids are not doing drugs have kids who are doing drugs?
I'd be half disappointed if my daughter didn't try drugs at some point. I expect her to control herself though, and not do anything stupid.
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #32
RocksteadyDotNet
Diamond Member
 
RocksteadyDotNet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin3 View Post
I would consider the need to drug test my kids as my failure as a parent. We've always been open about drugs, and how they must be fun to do since so many people use them, but that they are currently illegal and the potential drawbacks are too sever to take the chance and risk their future.

They also understand that if they did try drugs the resulting loss of privileges and freedom would make their little experiment not worth trying. They would come home to a room with just a mattress, blankets and school books in it. I'd walk them to and from school each day, and sit behind them in every class if necessary.

Thankfully, all my kids understand how important preparing for their future is, so they are concentrating on school and college and not even thinking about drugs.

Edit: and they understand that trust and privacy have to be earned. We are open about everything and have good two-way communication. We give them trust and privacy in small doses, never more than their underdeveloped decision making skills can handle.
LOL.
RocksteadyDotNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #33
bbhaag
Golden Member
 
bbhaag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,164
Default

I test my 9yo and 5yo on a regular basis. My logic is if I do it now when they are young they won't think anything of it when they are older. It will just be part of the routine.

They'll be like,"Hold on man my dad needs a sample before we go out tonight", and their friends will be like "WTF your dad makes you piss in a cup before you can go out?" but I don't care.
It takes planning and patience but one day ATOT you can be a dad like me if you really try.
bbhaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #34
zanejohnson
Diamond Member
 
zanejohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhaag View Post
I test my 9yo and 5yo on a regular basis. My logic is if I do it now when they are young they won't think anything of it when they are older. It will just be part of the routine.

They'll be like,"Hold on man my dad needs a sample before we go out tonight", and their friends will be like "WTF your dad makes you piss in a cup before you can go out?" but I don't care.
It takes planning and patience but one day ATOT you can be a dad like me if you really try.
more like they'll be like fuck dad.
__________________
Have you not been in OT in the past two years?
He thinks he's the master of the universe. - Shortylickens
zanejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #35
bbhaag
Golden Member
 
bbhaag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanejohnson View Post
more like they'll be like fuck dad.
I was trolling man haha. I don't give my sons a drug test at such a young age and won't when they get older.
bbhaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.