· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #126
modestninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deders View Post
What about with a decent microphone and spectral or harmonic analyser?
You guys know as well as I do that the FSM alters these "scientific" results with his noodly appendage. The only thing you can trust as these two disciples rightly teach is your ears since his noddly appendage is totally grossed out by earwax.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #127
KentState
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post

Best advice indeed.
It's the ears, not stupid equipments to measure.. the sonic signatures can't be measured. The ears can.

Framerates on video games can be measured, but sonic signatures can't. Only the ears can conduct this.

I do not regret buying a $1200 1.5m mini cable 5 months ago as it's giving me a huge difference in sound out of MBP.
Must take a lot of self delusion to justify your purchases. We can detect something as difficult as anti-matter, but nothing can determine a distinction between two audio sources but the human error. ROFL
Old 11-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #128
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentState View Post
Must take a lot of self delusion to justify your purchases. We can detect something as difficult as anti-matter, but nothing can determine a distinction between two audio sources but the human error. ROFL
That's because they only measure the data of the audio sources. That's what skeptics do, they think of things in a digital manner, bits are bits, only 0 and 1 is possible...
Maybe in the future the skeptics will figure out how to measure things properly. In the mean time, the believers are enjoying the great eargasms cables give.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #129
Howard
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioTruth View Post
That's because they only measure the data of the audio sources. That's what skeptics do, they think of things in a digital manner, bits are bits, only 0 and 1 is possible...
Maybe in the future the skeptics will figure out how to measure things properly. In the mean time, the believers are enjoying the great eargasms cables give.
Right, because analog interconnects pass 1s and 0s too.

Kitchen stuff
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #130
Number1
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
I'm not AudioTruth. If this guy is Patrick82 I would like to meet him. Have a cup of coffee and discuss about cool cables. I love cables to death due to visual appearance and serious increase in sound quality.

Best advice indeed.
It's the ears, not stupid equipments to measure.. the sonic signatures can't be measured. The ears can.

Framerates on video games can be measured, but sonic signatures can't. Only the ears can conduct this.

I do not regret buying a $1200 1.5m mini cable 5 months ago as it's giving me a huge difference in sound out of MBP.

My next cable upgrade for the Focal speakers will be the Audioquest Niagara XLR cables which will run $1800 for only 1m long. This will happen sometime second quarter of next year. First quarter I will be getting the $1200 external DAC...

I would love to buy me a couple of Power cables ($2400) but I don't have money for that unfortunately.
Get several people, including yourself, to do a blind test with your equipment and get back to us.

Some people could nott wrap their mind around the fact that the plane would take off. Mythhbusters settled the argument for good. Maybe we should get them to test very expensive audio cables.
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Old 11-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #131
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioTruth View Post
That's because they only measure the data of the audio sources@#@# That's what skeptics do, they think of things in a digital manner, bits are bits, only 0 and 1 is possible...
Uh...power cables do not equal digital transforms. Ever hear of an oscilloscope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldtheCat View Post
How can you spend "many years" designing $80k power cables (lol) that took you a "half year to build", and still have to ask if a power cable can damage an amp? Really?
This is pretty comical, I must admit...
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Last edited by RampantAndroid; 11-13-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #132
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1 View Post
Get several people, including yourself, to do a blind test with your equipment and get back to us.

Some people could nott wrap their mind around the fact that the plane would take off. Mythhbusters settled the argument for good. Maybe we should get them to test very expensive audio cables.
The standard blind tests are a flawed way of testing. In all blind tests I made, I scored 100% on the first few trials, but then I got listening fatigue and had to quit. The best blind test is a multiple choice test, I compared 8 power cables, my answer was none of the above, and it was correct (the one who switched the cables made a mistake, and this was audible).
It has happened in another blind test too, that the tweak was placed upside down, and I could hear it. Tests like these are far better than simple A/B blind tests where you get fatigued after a few trials.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #133
AudioTruth

Parcel with the cables is waiting for me at the post office now! I'm going to get it!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #134
Deders
Golden Member

So basically at no point were the fancy cables in the system during he tests? but you could hear the phasing when one of the cables was put in the wrong way around?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #135
rbk123

Cheez - you're trying waaaay too hard** Best if you sit out the next couple of troll attempts as you aren't in Audiotruth's league** When the Truth moves on, you can ***e back and claim your top cable spot**
Old 11-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #136
rbk123

B- work at best Cheez. The Truth has raised the bar so you're going to need to up your game.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #137
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

It saddens me that there are still people gullible enough to believe in this stuff...a cable doesn't make a difference. Power conditioning, sure. Proper filtering, yes...but cables?!

Hell, people still but $150 HDMI cables...when there is ZERO reason to.
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #138
Phanuel
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
Power conditioning, sure. Proper filtering, yes
Shams. Surge protector or a UPS are the only things worth caring about between the wall and your system.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #139
uhohs
Diamond Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPCl_ez0Hio

man, patrick is one of the best people on the internets
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #140
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deders View Post
So basically at no point were the fancy cables in the system during he tests? but you could hear the phasing when one of the cables was put in the wrong way around?
The power cable was plugged in, but not deep enough, there was a few mm gap, and this was audible. My answer was that the cable wasn't plugged in deep enough, because that is how it sounded like, and it was the correct answer. I chose the correct cable too, PS Audio Statement, but didn't pick the correct length. 1.5m vs 1m was a small difference.

Here's the secret youtube video: http://youtu.be/S_bMgSYpZac
Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #141
Aharami
Lifer

reading this thread is like stepping into a parallel universe!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #142
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
Shams. Surge protector or a UPS are the only things worth caring about between the wall and your system.
Then you're ill informed. A lot of places get noise on their AC power, and a power conditioner is designed to clean that up.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #143
styrafoam
Platinum Member

"reading this thread is like stepping into a parallel universe!"

It's great isn't it? I love it.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #144
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohs View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPCl_ez0Hio

man, patrick is one of the best people on the internets
Wait, it's a $300,000 DAC...that doesn't even have gold plated RCA contacts?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #145
rommelrommel
Golden Member

Quote:
It saddens me that there are still people gullible enough to believe in this stuff...a cable doesn't make a difference. Power conditioning, sure. Proper filtering, yes...but cables?!

Hell, people still but $150 HDMI cables...when there is ZERO reason to.
Fiber optic cables too, can't have that digital colouration turning 0's into 1's.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #146
Phanuel
Golden Member

Quote:
Then you're ill informed. A lot of places get noise on their AC power, and a power conditioner is designed to clean that up.
Then you have a ground issue, plain and simple. Sorry, filtering on the AC side is more bull from people who want to sell you expensive boxes that do nothing.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 AM   #147
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
Then you have a ground issue, plain and simple. Sorry, filtering on the AC side is more bull from people who want to sell you expensive boxes that do nothing.
So you're telling me there's zero fluctuations in AC power? It never has a peak below or above +/-169V? That there's no ripple that needs to be controlled? No need to control the RMS voltage? No need for surge protection? Wow, you're ignorant. They can be crucial to use with tube amps, for example.

Last edited by RampantAndroid; 11-14-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #148
Number1
Diamond Member

Quote:
So you're telling me there's zero fluctuations in AC power? It never has a peak below or above +/-169V? That there's no ripple that needs to be controlled? No need to control the RMS voltage? No need for surge protection? Wow, you're ignorant. They can be crucial to use with tube amps, for example.
There are fluctuations, but there is no "need" to clean them up. It's a good idea to have a surge protector but that's it. A modern power supply will handle the incoming AC power just fine. One thing for sure, a power conditioner may give you a cleaner looking AC signal going into your audio gear but it's NOT going to make your gear sound better or worst. Filter circuits inside your gear's power supply are there for this purpose.
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #149
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1 View Post
There are fluctuations, but there is no "need" to clean them up. It's a good idea to have a surge protector but that's it. A modern power supply will handle the incoming AC power just fine. One thing for sure, a power conditioner may give you a cleaner looking AC signal going into your audio gear but it's NOT going to make your gear sound better or worst. Filter circuits inside your gear's power supply are there for this purpose.
Sure, but this assuming good filtering. I'm not saying you need this on a $500+ AMP, but conditioners do actually do something tangible...something that expensive cables won't really do. Certainly not in cases where you're transporting digital signals.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #150
AudioTruth

Quote:
Wait, it's a $300,000 DAC...that doesn't even have gold plated RCA contacts?
It's a $300,000 modification with crystals. The DAC comes for free, and all the contacts on it are gold plated.
Closed Thread

Tags
magazine, ransom, scam, stereo, times