Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > PC Gaming

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
pontifex
Lifer
 
pontifex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: PA
Posts: 41,083
Default Towns

http://www.townsgame.com/

Saw this is on steam now. There is a demo on the dev site.

Kind of like minecraft and a city builder game had a baby...

Seems a bit confusing. not sure how you get more people in your settlement. Some die by fighting monsters and I can't tell how to get more.

Also I can't figure out if there is a rotate feature. the digging/mining part of the game is really confusing because you have to build ladders and sometimes you can't see where you need to be or build one. sometimes it seems like people just fall into the ground and then can't get back up.
pontifex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Kalmah
Diamond Member
 
Kalmah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontifex View Post
http://www.townsgame.com/

Saw this is on steam now. There is a demo on the dev site.

Kind of like minecraft and a city builder game had a baby...

Seems a bit confusing. not sure how you get more people in your settlement. Some die by fighting monsters and I can't tell how to get more.

Also I can't figure out if there is a rotate feature. the digging/mining part of the game is really confusing because you have to build ladders and sometimes you can't see where you need to be or build one. sometimes it seems like people just fall into the ground and then can't get back up.
I had a look at it.. seemed more like an alpha-build of a game than anything. Things like you mentioned with the ladders, are they bugs or badly implemented features?
__________________
Jump on my sword now, evil! For I won't be so gentle!
Kalmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
pontifex
Lifer
 
pontifex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: PA
Posts: 41,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
I had a look at it.. seemed more like an alpha-build of a game than anything. Things like you mentioned with the ladders, are they bugs or badly implemented features?

badly implemented imo...if you could rotate your view, it seems like it would be a simple fix.
pontifex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Regs
Lifer
 
Regs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 16,196
Default

"Build, Explore, Die Prematurely" - Hah
__________________
Edit: I Always edit my messages"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down."
Abraham Lincoln
Regs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Chiropteran
Diamond Member
 
Chiropteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 7,916
Default

YASDFC

Yet another sad dwarf fortress copy.
__________________
http://writeangry.blogspot.com/
Chiropteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
power_hour
Senior Member
 
power_hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: nowhere important
Posts: 789
Default

Is the game any fun at all? Any depth?
power_hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
pontifex
Lifer
 
pontifex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: PA
Posts: 41,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by power_hour View Post
Is the game any fun at all? Any depth?
eh...not really. kinda slow and confusing to me. don't think I would buy it.

oh, and as far as i can tell you have no direct control over your villagers.
pontifex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
Fanatical Meat
Diamond Member
 
Fanatical Meat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Olds Basement
Posts: 3,509
Default

Sigh, could someone please make proper controls/mouse support for Dwarf Fortress.
Fanatical Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #9
coldmeat
Diamond Member
 
coldmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ON, CA
Posts: 9,178
Default

lol dwarf fortress. You can't honestly expect me to play that? It feels like my eyes are being raped.
__________________

coldmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
Dankk
Diamond Member
 
Dankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mormonville, Utah
Posts: 5,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmeat View Post
lol dwarf fortress. You can't honestly expect me to play that? It feels like my eyes are being raped.
If you put some effort into learning it, it's a pretty deep and engrossing game.
__________________
AMD FX-8350 4.2GHz | HIS Radeon iPower IceQ X R9 290X
MSI 990FXA-GD80 (V2) | G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 1600
Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB HD
SeaSonic M12II Bronze 620W PSU

Steam
Dankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
Lonyo
Lifer
 
Lonyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 21,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmeat View Post
lol dwarf fortress. You can't honestly expect me to play that? It feels like my eyes are being raped.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.mhYQQyF7Ksk

If only you could mod the graphics.
__________________
CPU: Q3570K @ 4.1GHz 1.23v // Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V // GFX: Sapphire Tri-X 290 @ 1000/5200 // RAM: Corsair DDR3 @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 // SSD: Samsung 830 128GB
Video cards: TNT2, Ti4400, 9800, 7800GT(+7200GS), HD4850(+HD2400), HD6850, HD7950 (Laptops: GF6150, HD3200, GMA500)
Lonyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
SomeoneSimple
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonyo View Post
If only you could mod the graphics.
I like DF, at least the mechanics and gameplay, and with tilesets it looks perfectly fine.

That said, after playing it for a while, I won't touch DF anymore, not even with a ten-foot pole.

I am completely frustrated by its absolutely horrid user interface, controls that only feel natural to masochists and more importantly, the creator's stance on not supporting modders to fix these points, even though fixing the UI has the most requested feature for a looong time now.

I can only hope that the supporters of the game will finally stop donating and move on, so the developer has to stop implementing useless crap and instead fix the playability of the game to regain support from a wider audience.

That is all.

Last edited by SomeoneSimple; 11-11-2012 at 09:09 AM.
SomeoneSimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
Fanatical Meat
Diamond Member
 
Fanatical Meat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Olds Basement
Posts: 3,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessThanDan View Post
If you put some effort into learning it, it's a pretty deep and engrossing game.
I tried but I have a job
Fanatical Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
modestninja
Senior Member
 
modestninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontifex View Post
eh...not really. kinda slow and confusing to me. don't think I would buy it.

oh, and as far as i can tell you have no direct control over your villagers.
The game is still alpha so it's pretty rough at this point and new features are getting added pretty regularly. Also, the point with most of these games is that you don't have direct control over the citizens. You only influence what they do.

I got the game in the Alpha bundle from Indie Royale and have played it off an on for a while. The devs have made some big strides from early on and the game has gotten quite a bit deeper with additions like an economy, heroes and multiple levels for your buildings. If they keep it up once this game gets to Beta and/or release level, it could be pretty good.
modestninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
coldmeat
Diamond Member
 
coldmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ON, CA
Posts: 9,178
Default

Needs a lot of work yet. Micromanaging things like scaffolding is not fun, and actually pretty frustrating when you take it down after building a house, and there is still a villager on the roof that you didn't see, so you have to build the scaffolding again, then assign a bunch of tasks around the village so that he will hopefully get something to do and climb down. And usually the villager that was assigned to build the scaffold was the one who was stuck on the roof.

You also can't just tell them to build a roof, you have to do it piece by piece, or else they'll choose to install the piece in the middle first, but when they get there they just go "can't reach, oh well" and place the roof piece on the ground and leave.

I also had a problem in one of my games where we ran out of food, so my villagers would walk across the whole map to go get a piece of raw chicken on the ground, and get themselves killed by a froggy.
__________________


Last edited by coldmeat; 11-11-2012 at 10:27 PM.
coldmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
AlexAL
Senior Member
 
AlexAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 640
Default

That can be bigtime gamebreaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmeat View Post
Needs a lot of work yet. Micromanaging things like scaffolding is not fun, and actually pretty frustrating when you take it down after building a house, and there is still a villager on the roof that you didn't see, so you have to build the scaffolding again, then assign a bunch of tasks around the village so that he will hopefully get something to do and climb down. And usually the villager that was assigned to build the scaffold was the one who was stuck on the roof.

You also can't just tell them to build a roof, you have to do it piece by piece, or else they'll choose to install the piece in the middle first, but when they get there they just go "can't reach, oh well" and place the roof piece on the ground and leave.

I also had a problem in one of my games where we ran out of food, so my villagers would walk across the whole map to go get a piece of raw chicken on the ground, and get themselves killed by a froggy.
__________________
Clevo w355st, Win 8 Pro x64, i7 4700MQ, Nvidia 765M, m4 256Gb+2x 1Tb HDD, G.Skill 3x8Gb 1600 1.35v
AlexAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
AyashiKaibutsu
Diamond Member
 
AyashiKaibutsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,299
Default

I was tempted to get it on a whim but didn't. This thread kind of confirms my worries.
__________________
The large print giveths and the small print taketh away.
AyashiKaibutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #18
pontifex
Lifer
 
pontifex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: PA
Posts: 41,083
Default

it's only alpha? Why are they selling it on steam then?
pontifex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
Fanatical Meat
Diamond Member
 
Fanatical Meat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Olds Basement
Posts: 3,509
Default

^^my thoughts exactly when I saw it on steam, pay $12 for an alpha, techically its not even a game yet.
Fanatical Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #20
modestninja
Senior Member
 
modestninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatical Meat View Post
^^my thoughts exactly when I saw it on steam, pay $12 for an alpha, techically its not even a game yet.
Because of Minecraft's success.
modestninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
Kalmah
Diamond Member
 
Kalmah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneSimple View Post
I like DF, at least the mechanics and gameplay, and with tilesets it looks perfectly fine.

That said, after playing it for a while, I won't touch DF anymore, not even with a ten-foot pole.

I am completely frustrated by its absolutely horrid user interface, controls that only feel natural to masochists and more importantly, the creator's stance on not supporting modders to fix these points, even though fixing the UI has the most requested feature for a looong time now.

I can only hope that the supporters of the game will finally stop donating and move on, so the developer has to stop implementing useless crap and instead fix the playability of the game to regain support from a wider audience.

That is all.
I'm with you on this. I absolutely love the game. I stopped playing for a while and now I can't seem to force myself to re-learn the interface. The only thing the creator is intent on doing is adding more beef to the game, AI, items, more complexity across the board. Which is cool.. but damnit! Please do something about the UI.

I'm cool with the game itself as along as you install a tile set for it(the noobpack is perfect).
__________________
Jump on my sword now, evil! For I won't be so gentle!
Kalmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #22
clok1966
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West Fargo ND
Posts: 1,029
Default

Excellent fix for anybody who enjoys a Settlers Type game. Man o man there are a METRIC TON of cry babies on Meta and the boards about it being an ALPHA.. Anybody who maybe "reads" up on a game before throwing money at it would know this.. Project Greenlight has never said it was finished games, just games the community feels are worth supporting.. HECK the game has A DEMO!!!!! if your so pissed off about $10, you sure should be managing your money better, should have tried the DEMO.. I'm getting so sick of people making mistakes and blaming it on anybody but themselves...

The game is fairly deep in the fact it has quite a bit you can do, its as the OP said, kinda a Minecraft like thing.. if you don't enjoy building I don't think you will like it. Has an enormous amount of micro managing till you get the hang of it. YOU DO NOT control your people (like all god/sim/theme park games) you just give orders and change priorities.

I like the game but it has many problems.. one level view (you can change it)- its easy to forget a villager who is on anther level (roof) who cant get down.. they will die. Interface- yes it needs work.. but as the game is being developed.. functional is fine, it will improve I would guess, as its changed over time, it will continue (its better now then it was) its farily fast paced at start, but as you build you need to slow down a bit and can be hard to do.

Tips- add more people: you need rooms that are empty. Your people must have stored up extra food, your people must be happy
TREE's- till 2 or 3 6-8 square long rows.. plant tree's of your choice (same as planting wheat).. never run out of trees.. they will regrow over and over just like wheat (same for anything that grows, flowers/etc)
Happy- people cant work non stop... slow down your building so they can stand around a bit. make sure they have decorations in there personal rooms (and BEDS!) also put decorations where they go.. bushes along paths.. statues by doorways (put something by storage so they all pass it) if you get most of your people in the 30's fr happiness you should see new people.

Common issue is people want coal-iron right away.. you can make a campfire with flint (gravel) right away to cook meat. so don't rush to dig into that dungeon.

Plant 3 sets of 3X3 wheat farms to start.. you can make bread almost right away
DONT dig down till you have some Hero's
DO equip your villagers with some early Armour and weapons
BUILD FARMS ASAP big farms.. do not harvest them non stop.. keep your villagers on fruit and wheat (bread) for a bit.. once a farm has 5 plus of something in it start to harvest it.. I build my farms in groups of 6 (six pig farms, or badger, or cow).... fence all farms in (or they wander off)
BARRELS- turn them off with a right click.. (especially bones) as it will keep your villagers from wandering off and dying.. manage what they can pick up at start of game.
BUILD underground (not below ground, but in hills) you need to mine, why not carve out rooms in the hills side?
CARAVANS- careful selling all that MUD to the dorfs.. your people will have to carry all 200 of those pieces of mud to them.. and they wont be harvesting food/chopping trees , etc..

when building and digging, make sure somebody is not trapped on a wall or underground.. they will die without food.. and bones make ghosts.. throw a scafold up (or down) to save um

Roofs- fook um! you can build um but it takes forever, they are supposed to speed up crafting, but speed was never an issue for me. Wait till its patched to be easier.

Dead villagers- bury um.. they are huge hit to happiness and make ghosts.

Most of all- play it a bit.. if you get pissed -re start...bad luck is part of the game.
__________________


<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=29525">HEAT</a>
clok1966 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
clok1966
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West Fargo ND
Posts: 1,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestninja View Post
Because of Minecraft's success.
cant use Minecraft as an example.. people Love Minecraft so you simple cant compare.. even if its valid..Minecraft had a DEMO and paid Version (wow.. sounds just like TOWNS! and had a PAID version for over a year when it was Alpha.. wait.. that's just like TOWNS! too!)


I made a mistake, let me blame anybody but me.. people wonder why the USA is failing in so many ways..
__________________


<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=29525">HEAT</a>
clok1966 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #24
BurnItDwn
Lifer
 
BurnItDwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Wauconda, IL
Posts: 19,181
Default

Excellent post!
I've been playing it a bit, and thus far It's clearly not a "finished" product, but, it's quite good for being early beta or alpha. While it's got issues with building roofs and scaffolding being a huge PITA, and it would be great if you could rotate the map, it runs well and can be quite interesting.

The biggest issue I have is keeping my people happy, but that's simply because I tend to totally overproduce food and assign them too much work to do ....

So, I often do the "move everybody to the army trick" to get new settlers

Thus far the biggest I have gotten is about 70 townies.

Also, Unlike many new games or games in alpha or beta, I have been able to leave the game running overnight with 50+ townies and tons of items scattered about. I have not experienced a single crash yet!

My biggest issue seems to be that they don't like to put flour into raw foods stockpiles ,and instead, they will let hundreds or even thousands of flour litter all the land near my farms/mills ... (note: when I left my game running for 48 hours, I had over 2000 flour at the end, even with "haul" as 2nd priority, and plenty of raw food stockpile space, the flour was all over the place, and very little was in the stockpiles.

I have done some minor modding to help clean up the "mess' of too much crap .... (increased raw materials stockpile size to 200, all other stockpiles to 50), seems like with less individual items all over the place on tiles, the game runs much faster. (not having slow response issues unless I have like 6000 mud and 5000 stone and 2000 flour all over the place while running at 5760x1080 resolution (eyefinity), once my guys cleaned up the mud and stone, game ran nice and smooth again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clok1966 View Post
Excellent fix for anybody who enjoys a Settlers Type game. Man o man there are a METRIC TON of cry babies on Meta and the boards about it being an ALPHA.. Anybody who maybe "reads" up on a game before throwing money at it would know this.. Project Greenlight has never said it was finished games, just games the community feels are worth supporting.. HECK the game has A DEMO!!!!! if your so pissed off about $10, you sure should be managing your money better, should have tried the DEMO.. I'm getting so sick of people making mistakes and blaming it on anybody but themselves...

The game is fairly deep in the fact it has quite a bit you can do, its as the OP said, kinda a Minecraft like thing.. if you don't enjoy building I don't think you will like it. Has an enormous amount of micro managing till you get the hang of it. YOU DO NOT control your people (like all god/sim/theme park games) you just give orders and change priorities.

I like the game but it has many problems.. one level view (you can change it)- its easy to forget a villager who is on anther level (roof) who cant get down.. they will die. Interface- yes it needs work.. but as the game is being developed.. functional is fine, it will improve I would guess, as its changed over time, it will continue (its better now then it was) its farily fast paced at start, but as you build you need to slow down a bit and can be hard to do.

Tips- add more people: you need rooms that are empty. Your people must have stored up extra food, your people must be happy
TREE's- till 2 or 3 6-8 square long rows.. plant tree's of your choice (same as planting wheat).. never run out of trees.. they will regrow over and over just like wheat (same for anything that grows, flowers/etc)
Happy- people cant work non stop... slow down your building so they can stand around a bit. make sure they have decorations in there personal rooms (and BEDS!) also put decorations where they go.. bushes along paths.. statues by doorways (put something by storage so they all pass it) if you get most of your people in the 30's fr happiness you should see new people.

Common issue is people want coal-iron right away.. you can make a campfire with flint (gravel) right away to cook meat. so don't rush to dig into that dungeon.

Plant 3 sets of 3X3 wheat farms to start.. you can make bread almost right away
DONT dig down till you have some Hero's
DO equip your villagers with some early Armour and weapons
BUILD FARMS ASAP big farms.. do not harvest them non stop.. keep your villagers on fruit and wheat (bread) for a bit.. once a farm has 5 plus of something in it start to harvest it.. I build my farms in groups of 6 (six pig farms, or badger, or cow).... fence all farms in (or they wander off)
BARRELS- turn them off with a right click.. (especially bones) as it will keep your villagers from wandering off and dying.. manage what they can pick up at start of game.
BUILD underground (not below ground, but in hills) you need to mine, why not carve out rooms in the hills side?
CARAVANS- careful selling all that MUD to the dorfs.. your people will have to carry all 200 of those pieces of mud to them.. and they wont be harvesting food/chopping trees , etc..

when building and digging, make sure somebody is not trapped on a wall or underground.. they will die without food.. and bones make ghosts.. throw a scafold up (or down) to save um

Roofs- fook um! you can build um but it takes forever, they are supposed to speed up crafting, but speed was never an issue for me. Wait till its patched to be easier.

Dead villagers- bury um.. they are huge hit to happiness and make ghosts.

Most of all- play it a bit.. if you get pissed -re start...bad luck is part of the game.
BurnItDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.