Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > CPUs and Overclocking

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Noulis
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Default Buy IV or wait for Haswell?

Hi everyone...i want to build a new rig cuz my current one is very old (cpu:intel pentium 4 640, gpu:nvidia 6200 turbo cache, mobo:gigabyte 81915PL-G with a 1.5 Gb of DDR memomy).
So i was planning on getting an i5-3570k processor with sabertooth z77 mobo and a sapphire radeon 7870 oc gpu when christmas time come...But today i read that the new haswell processors will be out in 4-5 months...so my question is should i go for IV now or wait for the new haswell? my budget is limited to 800-850 euros(im from Greece) so even if i wait for the new haswell to come out idk if i will have enought money to buy them and the new set of motherboards that will be released.

The way i see it is better for me to go for the IV rig now and keep it untl the new skylake or skymont come out and change my whole rig again then....I'd like to hear some other opinions from you guys

Last edited by Noulis; 11-10-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Noulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
pc999
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 30
Default

From Portugal here

I am trying to get money for a i5 IV too, as I will probably be stuck with my slow CPU forever, as my government is trying to install even more poverty too (if the revolution dont comes soon, but we are trying), given that I (like you will have a even better one) have a nice GPU, Hawell dont seems to bring much of a performance boost in x86 that worth to wait for, only on the integrated gpu.

Probably could be nice for power consumption, but I am not sure of how much in the desktops parts and we are using a lot more power in these old CPUs anyway...



Anyway good luck with the much needed revolution in there, we need a much more direct democracy and a new banking system (like the N.E.E.D. Act or "the Chicago plan revisited").
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
lambchops511
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 659
Default

Technology moves fast, buy/upgrade when you need to. If you "wait for the next thing", you'll never end up buying anything. I say go for the Ivy Bridge, its a good chip.
lambchops511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
ShintaiDK
Lifer
 
ShintaiDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 10,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchops511 View Post
Technology moves fast, buy/upgrade when you need to. If you "wait for the next thing", you'll never end up buying anything. I say go for the Ivy Bridge, its a good chip.
^^ This.

Either you wait for economic reasons. For example your upgrade cycle in financial terms. Or because what you got is currently sufficient.

Haswell is 5 months away or so. Thats also 5 months not having better performance.

And to the OP, if your budget is limited. Why waste so much on useless stuff for the mobo? Buy a cheaper Z77 board and a better GPU or save the money.
__________________
Anandtech forums=Xtremesystems forums
ShintaiDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
rgallant
Golden Member
 
rgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,136
Default

-also the good 1150mb's[if you care] might not be there at the 5 month mark.
-even 2 gen. z77 took 3 months after ib was released to get a high end bug free board's .
-sb on release had bad chipset's. then came the mess of pci-e 3.0 ready mb's[for ib] when most of the switching chips only did pci-2.0 [won't pass 3.0]
-so I would factor in 5 + 3 months .before I'd spent money on a 1150+ haswell to be sure.
__________________
3770k [KL370]|| 3xMCR320[basement] || MR|| 655x2 ek-tops || 9xSFF21F || Vl4n
MVF WC || Evga GTX 780sc sli EK block,s
Sam 256gb 840 Pro|| HAF 932 || 8 gb Tridents 2400
W7HP-64 || 27"A850D || AX1200w || G15,G13,G500s
SB-Z -analog >Yamaha 765 AVR, 4x PSB alpha b1 ,1 x PSB alpha C1 ,10" sub

Last edited by rgallant; 11-10-2012 at 07:27 PM.
rgallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
nforce4max
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 88
Default

If you go IVY you will end up with an already aging platform while you will get locked in with Haswell like 1156 users are today. I suggest that you aim for SB despite lacking pci-3.0 support it has better thermals and easier to overclock.
nforce4max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Noulis
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforce4max View Post
If you go IVY you will end up with an already aging platform while you will get locked in with Haswell like 1156 users are today. I suggest that you aim for SB despite lacking pci-3.0 support it has better thermals and easier to overclock.
The thing is i won't be doing any upgrade on this rig except maybe the graphic card for at least 3-4 years...by that time skylake processors is most likely to be out...so going for ivy and pci 3.0 now i find it a more future proof solution than the SB.
Noulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
Noulis
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintaiDK View Post
^^ This.

Either you wait for economic reasons. For example your upgrade cycle in financial terms. Or because what you got is currently sufficient.

Haswell is 5 months away or so. Thats also 5 months not having better performance.

And to the OP, if your budget is limited. Why waste so much on useless stuff for the mobo? Buy a cheaper Z77 board and a better GPU or save the money.
Maybe you are right...i was thinking of buying the gigabyte GA-z77X-UD3H at first but the features of z77 sabertooth or lets say a msi z77 Mpower are so attractive x3
Noulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
ShintaiDK
Lifer
 
ShintaiDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 10,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noulis View Post
Maybe you are right...i was thinking of buying the gigabyte GA-z77X-UD3H at first but the features of z77 sabertooth or lets say a msi z77 Mpower are so attractive x3
Attractive for what? And is it worth it?
__________________
Anandtech forums=Xtremesystems forums
ShintaiDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Noulis
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintaiDK View Post
Attractive for what? And is it worth it?
Propably not worth it ...hmm maybe ill go for ud3h and a 660 ti gpu
Noulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
njdevilsfan87
Golden Member
 
njdevilsfan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,275
Default

There's always SB-E (with a rumored 8-12 core IB-e upgrade path). Though when it comes to something like a 2700K vs a 3930K, I think both chips will pretty much last an absurd amount of time. We'll be on 2 years since the release of SB soon...
__________________
Gaming :::::: 3770k delid+CLU 4.6ghz 1.2v raystorm wc | z77-extreme6 | 32gb ddr3 | sli ek fc-titan | 2x120b ssd | 2tb-raid1 | 1300w g2 | u2713hm | xl2420te [win7 pro]
njdevilsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
aaksheytalwar
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,129
Default

Just upgrade now. But if you can really hard it out further (not recommended) then haswell might be the next big upgrade.
__________________
3770k @ 4.3 with H100i, Asus Z77 Deluxe, Samsung 30nm 4x4gb ddr3 @ 1866 9-9-9-28 1T, MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G, Coolermaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300 watts, Crucial M4 512gb, 3x Seagate 7200.14 3TB each
aaksheytalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Remobz
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,603
Default

Get an Ivy 3550 or IVY 3570K and then just upgrade 2 years from now. Or wait a little longer?
Remobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
Denithor
Diamond Member
 
Denithor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 5,570
Default

Is there a used market in your country? Here in the US we can occasionally find pretty awesome deals on used parts. If you could put together an i5 750 with a decent socket 1156 motherboard on the cheap it would be a massive upgrade from your ancient P4 system. Add good DDR3, an SSD and a solid GPU (all of which can be carried forward into the next build) and you will easily last until Haswell comes out. Then replace the cpu/motherboard with Haswell and you're good to go for a long time.
__________________
HTPC: GTX 650 Ti Boost -- i7 3770 (4.2GHz) -- Intel 330 180GB -- 16GB DDR3 -- 50" LG plasma
Gaming: GTX 660 -- i5 750 (3.2GHz) -- Samsung 830 128GB -- 8GB DDR3 -- Dell 2709W

Originally posted by: ironwing
Adam should'a bought a PC instead. Eve fell for the marketing hype.
Denithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #15
Makaveli
Diamond Member
 
Makaveli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilsfan87 View Post
There's always SB-E (with a rumored 8-12 core IB-e upgrade path).

Ivy-E will be a 6 core chip!

I would buy IVY over SB right now.

And for the other guy saying haswell is only going to bring IGP improvements how about you wait until its out to be making statements like that.

Unless you have an engineering sample and work for intel!
__________________
Intel Core i7 970 @ 4.2Ghz 1.29v | TRUE Black Rev.C + Scythe S-Flex 1600 rpm x2 | Asus P6-T Deluxe V2 | 12GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 7-8-7-20 1T | MSI 7970 Ghz + Kraken G10 & H55 | EVGA 650 SC Physx | Logitech G15+G500 | Intel 320GB G2 Raid 0 | WD 1TB Black Storage | ESATA 2TB Green | CM 690 II Advanced | Razor Vespula | HP ZR24w | Logitech Z560 | X-FI Titanium | Corsair Pro Series Gold AX750
Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #16
AtenRa
Diamond Member
 
AtenRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Athens Greece
Posts: 5,879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noulis View Post
Hi everyone...i want to build a new rig cuz my current one is very old (cpu:intel pentium 4 640, gpu:nvidia 6200 turbo cache, mobo:gigabyte 81915PL-G with a 1.5 Gb of DDR memomy).
So i was planning on getting an i5-3570k processor with sabertooth z77 mobo and a sapphire radeon 7870 oc gpu when christmas time come...But today i read that the new haswell processors will be out in 4-5 months...so my question is should i go for IV now or wait for the new haswell? my budget is limited to 800-850 euros(im from Greece) so even if i wait for the new haswell to come out idk if i will have enought money to buy them and the new set of motherboards that will be released.

The way i see it is better for me to go for the IV rig now and keep it untl the new skylake or skymont come out and change my whole rig again then....I'd like to hear some other opinions from you guys
I will suggest the ASUS Maximus V GENE and any Core i5 or Core i7 IvyBridge. No need to wait if you really feel you need a new system. If you need help for buying the hardware you could join me at forum.oktabit.gr
__________________
Thief : Mantle CPU Scaling and Power evaluation
(10 CPUs at default and Overclock, including Power Consumption)
AtenRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #17
Noulis
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtenRa View Post
I will suggest the ASUS Maximus V GENE and any Core i5 or Core i7 IvyBridge. No need to wait if you really feel you need a new system. If you need help for buying the hardware you could join me at forum.oktabit.gr
I signed in
Noulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #18
Noulis
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denithor View Post
Is there a used market in your country? Here in the US we can occasionally find pretty awesome deals on used parts. If you could put together an i5 750 with a decent socket 1156 motherboard on the cheap it would be a massive upgrade from your ancient P4 system. Add good DDR3, an SSD and a solid GPU (all of which can be carried forward into the next build) and you will easily last until Haswell comes out. Then replace the cpu/motherboard with Haswell and you're good to go for a long time.
Well not exactly...when is christmas time they do discounts in some stuff but the don't have offers like cpu and mobo for $$$
Noulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
Noulis
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaksheytalwar View Post
Just upgrade now. But if you can really hard it out further (not recommended) then haswell might be the next big upgrade.
The promblem is right now with my correct rig i strungle to play even league of legends xD...i can't play any game on this pc anymore

Last edited by Noulis; 11-12-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Noulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
Zardnok
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 658
Default

My current rig is an I5-3570 w/ Sabertooth Z77 motherboard and I love it. That said, if you are on a budget, there are a number of things I would spend money on that was not a Sabertooth board. You could take the $75-100 premium you will spend for the Sabertooth and put that into an SSD drive to handle your OS, apps, and a game or two.
__________________
Ivy : Intel I5-3570K @ 4.8 w/+.15V offset, Asus Sabertooth Z77, Corsair 4X8GB, 2X Sapphire Tri-X 290s, Samsung 830 256GB, Samsung Spinpoint 1TB, Corsair Obsidian 650D case w/ H100 cooler and custom sound dampening, Seasonic X850 , 3X1440p
Sandy : Intel I7-2600K, Gigabyte Z68X-UD3, GSkill 2X4GB, Asus GTX670Top, M500 SSD, Corsair 330 w/ HX750 and Macho cooler
Laptop : Dell Latitude E6430 w/ I7-3720QM, 8 Gig Ram, 5200M, 500GB Hybrid SSD
Zardnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #21
Jaydip
Diamond Member
 
Jaydip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforce4max View Post
If you go IVY you will end up with an already aging platform while you will get locked in with Haswell like 1156 users are today. I suggest that you aim for SB despite lacking pci-3.0 support it has better thermals and easier to overclock.
Please don't quote the spam
-ViRGE
__________________
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit || i7 4770K @ 4.2 with CM V6-GT || MSI Z87 GD 65||MSI Gaming N780 TF 3GD5/OC GeForce GTX 780|| Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 || WD Cavier Black 1TB FAEX X2|| HAF-X || Corsair TX750 V2 ||AL MX 5021E || DELL U2713HM||SideWinder X4||Razer DA

Last edited by ViRGE; 11-13-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Jaydip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #22
videoclone
Golden Member
 
videoclone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,465
Default

Get an Asrock motherboard and with the money saved from not getting a Sabertooth get a 128gb Samsung 830, Sandisk, Crucial, Corsair or intel SSD for the Operating system!
__________________
PC Intel i7 2600, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, GA-P67A-UD3R-B3, GB-HD7970 WF OC 3GB, Sandisk Extreme 240gb & Samsung 830 256gb, Samsung 1.5TB & 1TB Spinpoint, Bluray Drive, Silverstone 750 Gold evo, Fractal Design R3 B, 30" Dell UltraSharp U3011.
videoclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.