· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #26
Bignate603
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
I think I've decided what I'm going to do:

I have perhaps 6-7 plastic bins of stuff. What I'm going to do is just put them in the back parking lot of the warehouse and cover it all with a plastic tarp. Then I'm going to pile some garbage on top of it. Junky plywood, branches, make it look dirty and stuff.

A shed costs money, looks to be a pain in the ass to assemble, and it's a big red arrow saying "hey, I store lots of shit in there."
Yeah, the owner of the warehouse isn't going to like that. Your plan is pretty ridiculous.

If you seriously only have 6 or 7 plastic bins go rent the smallest storage facility you can find and stack them up. They have some that are the size of a big closet, in my area they rent for about $30 a month.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #27
sdifox
No Lifer

rent a Honda fit?
http://primaryaccounting.ca
Old 04-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #28
Dice144

Gonna go out on limb here but maybe just throw or sell the stuff off? If its going in a storage bin and you don't wanna spend real money to keep it must not be worth saving.

My friend is the type that buys stuff weekly then complains about money. Then he buys more stuff and now "needs" a storage unit??? Lol

Oh and now he complains about the monthly cost of the storage unit!
MSI 290X
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Old 04-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #29
boomhower
Diamond Member

I just bought a prebuilt one. I wasn't cheap so I financed it. It was $15 a month more than I was paying to rent a space and in the end it will be mine. It's built extremely well. Wood frame, vinyl siding, shingle roof with a huge oversized door. I got a 10x14 and absolutely love it. Well worth the money.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #30
yh125d
Diamond Member

FBB is my favorite troll
Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #31
the DRIZZLE
Platinum Member

Quote:

I have perhaps 6-7 plastic bins of stuff. What I'm going to do is just put them in the back parking lot of the warehouse and cover it all with a plastic tarp. Then I'm going to pile some garbage on top of it. Junky plywood, branches, make it look dirty and stuff.

A shed costs money, looks to be a pain in the ass to assemble, and it's a big red arrow saying "hey, I store lots of shit in there."
Make sure you add some roadkill and fish scraps from the fish market. You want to make your garbage pile smell really bad it doesn't attract thieves.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #32
Leros
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
You can do what my dad did if you're cheap:

1. Build a really cheap, unstable frame, then stash all your garbage under it.
2. Walk around the neughbourhood, look through peoples' garbage, and find really large pieces of wood - don't buy plywood stupid, use thrown out closet doors.
3. Attach doors to wood frame with 2 nails a piece - don't worry, you aren't making doors, just a "covering" to comply with the municipal by-law inspector's orders.
I think your dad and my dad learned construction from the same guy.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #33
Greenman
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlouisehale View Post
That was nice idea. If you gonna do that, you will save your money from expensive storage shed rent.

Rent To Own Barn
You necroed a thread to promote your business with your very first post here?

I'm not going to miss you when you're gone.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #34
Sluggo
Lifer

Quote:

How come we never got pictures of this godforsaken eyesore?

Holy crap.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #35
BUTCH1
Lifer

I have a 10X8 metal shed from Arrow, it cost $200 in 2004, probably closer to $300 now, it comes in a large, flat box with a big instruction manual and a bag with 500+ screws. The instructions are long but well laid out, first you have to have some kind of flooring, a metal shed on grass is just a bad idea, I used cinder blocks and OSB plywood for the deck, put a large sheet of plastic under the OSB to act as a vapor barrier, it has to be level, not perfect but close. Next you built the sub-assemblies, there are several to do then your ready to assemble the shed, don't even THINK about doing this on a windy day, just don't. Assembly was straightforward but long, between the foundation and all the screwing it took 2 days to finish. You will need several tubes of calk, calking the screws and the joints will give you a decent shot of a non-leaking shed. A resin shed would probably a lot less complicated to assemble but they cost more than twice of a metal shed. You could go homemade and download some plans somewhere, you could go ultra-cheap and find pallets or other scrap lumber but you need the carpentry skills (I don't have the skills or the tools) and if using untreated wood paint it, sooner rather than later. If going the metal route get/borrow.buy a decent powered cordless screwdriver or drill, this is WAY to many screws to deal with by hand, lastly if you live in a humid climate (I live in FL) you need to tackle surface rust on a regular basis, a few cans of spray paint and sanding of your choice will keep it in decent condition, mine's 8yrs old and looks/works fine.
Closed Thread