· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Flacco

Default Gamer Black Friday Build $1000 Budget

PLEASE when you POST threads asking for input on system builds tell us...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming: Currently playing CS:Source. Will likely get Black Ops 2 or some other newer FPS games when I upgrade PC

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$1000-1100; only willing to go to the 1100 if the there is a sizable upgrade in what I would be getting

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

US

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

Intel, Nvidia

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

Samsung SyncMaster 220WM 22" monitor, DVD burner, Storage HDD's, Xtreme Gamer sound card?

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Likely stock to start atleast. I've never overclocked before so I'm not likely to do so. I may if it is relatively safe, I can't afford to replace my PC if it goes wrong so I'm guessing it wouldn't be recommended that I overclock.

8. What resolution will you be using?

Current monitor maxes out at 1680x1050. Monitor will likely be one of my first upgrades but I'd rather spend $1000 on the rest of the build and upgrade monitor after Christmas/Birthday (Jan 3). Would most likely be a 1920x1080 monitor after upgrading. Looking to get something around 23.9"-27" for the right price/gaming performance.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Black Friday/Cyber Monday time frame.

As far as parts I've been lurking on the forums for awhile now and really I don't see a reason to stray much from the Midrange thread by Mfenn it's been an excellent resouce and I've been checking it regularly. Thanks for doing that thread btw if you happen to see this post.

Since I wont be needing the DVD Drive/extra storage it opens up a little wiggle room for other things which is the main reason I'm opening this thread for some help with that.

That and to get some help on what to keep an eye out for as far as deals this month.

Case: Thermaltake Armor A90 Gaming Mid-Tower Chassis
$39.99AR

Like the look of this case. Just saw that this deal expires tonight so if anyone could give feedback on the case it would be appreciated. Looking for something that will be fairly easy to install, has a slot for a SSD and if it has USB 3.0 even better.

This has the ironegg deal so I could potentially exchange it later on if need be for whatever reason.

Processer/Mobo: i5 3570K + ASRock Z77 Pro4 combo
$329AP

I do have a Microcenter somewhat near me. It's about an hour drive. So if I can get a better deal locally (aka its worth the gas etc) then I would drive there. Anyone happen to know how long that deal for processor mobo combo is supposed to run?

Graphics Card: GTX 670 - Twin Frozr IV Thermal Design
$370AR

I'll likely get whichever version is the best deal. I liked the sound of the Twin Frozr one when I was reading about it though. One of the main advantages seemed to be Overclocking (something I'm unlikely to do) and it is quiet. Should I bother with this one or just get a cheaper one?

Also is it worth it to get a MB that is SLI capable and add another one of these down the line? Or is it better to buy a new high end card in 3-4 years?

SSD : Samsung 830 128GB

No longer in the midrange list but it was there for a long time. Also I happen to have a giftcard to Amazon for $25 so I'd like to purchase at least one part from there. 128GB should be plenty for my OS and most of my games. I have a data drive for whatever else I'd use. I have no use currently for one of those huge 1TB drives, I'd never come close to using up all the space.

PSU: XFX Core 550W
$60 AR

No preference just want something that can handle my requirements. Adjustment needed if SLI is recommended or 550 plenty?

RAM: Geil DDR3 1333 8GB
$29

Again just going with mfenn's suggestion on this one.

Soundcard: Creative Xfi Xtreme Gamer

Transport from old build. Are sound cards still worthwhile? Between my headset and this card has giving me an advantage with sound in FPS games. How has onboard sound been coming along? Is it worth transplanting this or just keep and use what comes with the MB?

Total: ~793 not including taxes, potential shipping costs, or my noob calculator mistakes.

Looks like with the money I save I could swing a decent monitor in the build. Or upgrade certain components, maybe purchase an aftermarket Heatsink.

Sorry for the ramblings but wanted to be as informative as possible based on what questions I saw asked in other threads. Thanks for any help in advance.
Flacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Flacco

Saved for updates to build.

Current:

Case: Thermaltake Armor A90 Gaming Mid-Tower Chassis $39.99AR*
Processer/Mobo: i5 3570K + Asrock Z77 Pro3 $224.98AP (Microcenter purchase)*
Graphics Card: GTX 670 - GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD $329AR*
SSD : Samsung 840 74.99AP (Microcenter purchase)*
PSU: XFX Core 550W $60 AR
Ram: Geil DDR3 1333 8GB $29
Monitor: Acer GD235HZbid Widescreen 23.6" 3D LCD Display $174.99 (w/$25 gift card)*
Heatsink: Hyper212+ $20*
Thermal Paste: 2.99*
Tax: 18.18 has been added to the total for Microcenter purchases. Gas not gonna worry about found out there was a second store in MD (Towson) just 15 minutes away from work.

Total: $974.12

Asterisk indicates that item has been purchased.

Last edited by Flacco; 11-21-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacco View Post
As far as parts I've been lurking on the forums for awhile now and really I don't see a reason to stray much from the Midrange thread by Mfenn it's been an excellent resouce and I've been checking it regularly. Thanks for doing that thread btw if you happen to see this post.
You're welcome.

Quote:
Case: Thermaltake Armor A90 Gaming Mid-Tower Chassis
$39.99AR

Like the look of this case. Just saw that this deal expires tonight so if anyone could give feedback on the case it would be appreciated. Looking for something that will be fairly easy to install, has a slot for a SSD and if it has USB 3.0 even better.

This has the ironegg deal so I could potentially exchange it later on if need be for whatever reason.
The Armor is a good case for $40. You're good to go as long as you dig the aesthetic.

Quote:
Processer/Mobo: i5 3570K + ASRock Z77 Pro4 combo
$329AP

I do have a Microcenter somewhat near me. It's about an hour drive. So if I can get a better deal locally (aka its worth the gas etc) then I would drive there. Anyone happen to know how long that deal for processor mobo combo is supposed to run?
They've have some variant of the Intel K series CPU + mobo combo running for the past 2 years straight, so it's safe to assume that it'll be around for a while. Right now, you would basically save $100 less tax and gas for making the trip.

Quote:
Graphics Card: GTX 670 - Twin Frozr IV Thermal Design
$370AR

I'll likely get whichever version is the best deal. I liked the sound of the Twin Frozr one when I was reading about it though. One of the main advantages seemed to be Overclocking (something I'm unlikely to do) and it is quiet. Should I bother with this one or just get a cheaper one?
Definitely just get the best priced dual-fan card, whatever that happens to be when you go to order. All of the major brands have good overclocking capable coolers that are also fairly quiet at stock.

Quote:
Also is it worth it to get a MB that is SLI capable and add another one of these down the line? Or is it better to buy a new high end card in 3-4 years?
Upgrading to SLI is almost never cost effective once you factor in the added cost of an SLI capable mobo and PSU. You're better off getting a new GPU every 2-3 years.

Quote:
SSD : Samsung 830 128GB

No longer in the midrange list but it was there for a long time. Also I happen to have a giftcard to Amazon for $25 so I'd like to purchase at least one part from there. 128GB should be plenty for my OS and most of my games. I have a data drive for whatever else I'd use. I have no use currently for one of those huge 1TB drives, I'd never come close to using up all the space.
The 830 is quite a good drive. The only reason I switched away from it was that it went OOS on Newegg. I like to stick to one vendor for the standard build.

Quote:
PSU: XFX Core 550W
$60 AR

No preference just want something that can handle my requirements. Adjustment needed if SLI is recommended or 550 plenty?
You would need a 650W+ for SLI, but it's not really worth it for reasons stated above.

Quote:
Soundcard: Creative Xfi Xtreme Gamer

Transport from old build. Are sound cards still worthwhile? Between my headset and this card has giving me an advantage with sound in FPS games. How has onboard sound been coming along? Is it worth transplanting this or just keep and use what comes with the MB?
In terms of features, no they're not really worth it anymore, there is no such thing as hardware positional audio in Vista and up. The X-Fi does likely have a better SNR than onboard though, so it might be worthwhile to keep it if you use headphones a lot.
mfenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
DSF
Diamond Member

If it were me, I would do two main things considering how far under budget you came in.

1) Upgrade to a 256GB SSD. I play enough games that eat up hard drive space in chunks (BF3 for example) that I'd want plenty of room. However, you may not feel it's necessary and that's completely understandable.

2) Spend more on the case, not for the sake of spending more, but for the sake of increasing the feature set. Reducing noise is something I always aim for in my builds, for example, and there are cases designed with acoustics in mind that would fit easily into your budget.

Before we get ahead of ourselves though, I didn't notice an answer to the question about software. Do you have a valid Windows license for the new computer? If not you need to factor that in.
DSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
riversend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSF View Post
If it were me, I would do two main things considering how far under budget you came in.

1) Upgrade to a 256GB SSD. I play enough games that eat up hard drive space in chunks (BF3 for example) that I'd want plenty of room. However, you may not feel it's necessary and that's completely understandable.

2) Spend more on the case, not for the sake of spending more, but for the sake of increasing the feature set. Reducing noise is something I always aim for in my builds, for example, and there are cases designed with acoustics in mind that would fit easily into your budget.
+1 to both of those pending OS decision.

The 670 should do you well for quite some time. I just dropped a GTX 660 at 1680x1050 into a similar rig and it is more than enough, although I am not really using any FPS atm. You will be set for an upgrade to 1920x1080.
riversend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
Flacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSF View Post

Before we get ahead of ourselves though, I didn't notice an answer to the question about software. Do you have a valid Windows license for the new computer? If not you need to factor that in.

Must have missed that one I have a valid Student version of Win 7. Not sure the student version differs but it was free so meh.

As far as the case, I already popped on that since the deal was ending so that is now out of the way. Unless the price for the Processor and MB come down significantly online I'll likely go to Microcenter to purchase those two. So lets figure another $75 in savings, putting me at ~720.

Leaves me 280 under budget, Its not absolutely necessary that I spend all of it but I'd like to make my build as solid as possible for the core components anyway. I can always add more hard drive space etc.

What motherboards should I be keeping an eye out for? If possible I'd like the system to be able to be upgradable. Processor mainly. Or would it be better just to build and plan on overclocking down the road? Keep in mind I have never overclocked anything before.

The 256GB version of the Samsung is more then double the price of the 128 version on Amazon and not worth it to me. Any other suggestions for 256 SSD's at a cheaper price point? I'd like to purchase one thing off Amazon since I have a gift card so that leaves the SSD, Power supply, graphics card or potentially a monitor.

The way I play games is I become obsessed with one or two. I doubt I'd ever have more than five installed at one time so I'm not sure I'd really need the space. However if I find the right deal for a quality SSD I'd welcome the extra space.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Charlie98
Diamond Member

Quote:
As far as the case, I already popped on that since the deal was ending so that is now out of the way. Unless the price for the Processor and MB come down significantly online I'll likely go to Microcenter to purchase those two. So lets figure another $75 in savings, putting me at ~720.
As a rule I don't go out of the house on Black Friday... but I did last year. MicroCenter was selling the 2500K for $150 plus the mobo deal, so I made the trek and fought the crowds to score my i5/Gigabyte mobo in my current build. It probably saved me another $20 over what it's available for normally (with MC's processor/mobo discount.) I think between MC's deal, and the deals on Newegg, I pretty much built my computer last year... I had to substitute a few components (i.e. an Agility3 on sale vs the Crucial M4 SSD I had originally spec'ed) but everything worked out in the end.
Charlie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Quote:
What motherboards should I be keeping an eye out for? If possible I'd like the system to be able to be upgradable. Processor mainly. Or would it be better just to build and plan on overclocking down the road? Keep in mind I have never overclocked anything before.
There are a lot of good things to spend the extra money on (case, SSD, HDD, monitor, etc.), but the motherboard definitely isn't one of them. ALL currently available 1155 motherboards support the exact same set of processors, so it isn't like one is more upgradable than the other. Ivy Bridge will run out of thermal headroom on typical setups long before it exceeds the motherboard's power delivery, so overclock-ability isn't really a concern ether.

With $280 left to spend, I would probably upgrade the monitor ASAP. Something that runs at 120Hz like this Acer would make a noticeable difference in gaming.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
Flacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie98 View Post
As a rule I don't go out of the house on Black Friday... but I did last year. MicroCenter was selling the 2500K for $150 plus the mobo deal, so I made the trek and fought the crowds to score my i5/Gigabyte mobo in my current build. It probably saved me another $20 over what it's available for normally (with MC's processor/mobo discount.) I think between MC's deal, and the deals on Newegg, I pretty much built my computer last year... I had to substitute a few components (i.e. an Agility3 on sale vs the Crucial M4 SSD I had originally spec'ed) but everything worked out in the end.
Thanks for the heads up. Its helpful to hear from others who did the Black Friday thing. I'll likely be working that Friday so its unlikely that I'll head out till I get off. Likely missing out on all the amazing doorbusters etc but meh.

Did you see anything decent on Cyber Monday or was your build all purchased prior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenn View Post
There are a lot of good things to spend the extra money on (case, SSD, HDD, monitor, etc.), but the motherboard definitely isn't one of them. ALL currently available 1155 motherboards support the exact same set of processors, so it isn't like one is more upgradable than the other. Ivy Bridge will run out of thermal headroom on typical setups long before it exceeds the motherboard's power delivery, so overclock-ability isn't really a concern ether.
Thanks for the info. I'll likely just go with one of the boards from your thread then. Any differences between the ASRock Z77 Pro3 combo and Pro4 combo's that make the purchase of the 4 worth while. (this is assuming I'm purchasing from Microcenter.) I was gonna read up on it myself but figured people in this forum were already pretty knowledgeable about them and could give me a starting point.

Quote:
With $280 left to spend, I would probably upgrade the monitor ASAP. Something that runs at 120Hz like this Acer would make a noticeable difference in gaming.
Yeah I did some reading up on 120hz monitors and this seems to be the way to go. Seems like it might be worth stretching the budget for to get a slightly more quality or reputable brand too. While the forums were down and not letting me post I looked around and it seems these are pretty pricey. I can't justify dropping $400 on a monitor. It's just not in my budget. If it is REALLY nice I might be able to swing 350 but it does not seem the reputable brands are in that price range. (atleast not the ones I looked at on Amazon/Newegg). I'll be keeping me eye out for 23"+ 120hz monitors over the next couple of weeks. If anyone runs across a good deal I'd appreciate you letting me know. Same goes with the other components I'm still looking to purchase.

Seems I have a good idea on what I plan on purchasing now I just need to wait and look out for deals. I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm getting an ichy trigger finger, but I would like to save as much as I can. I can't wait to get it up and running though.

Appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. Even if I didn't end up taking them it is always nice to get differing views. I'll likely get the monitor and look to upgrade storage space in the future. Though the larger SSD drive is tempting the more I think about it.

Other potential upgrades:
  • extra fans for the case
  • aftermarket Heatsink
I think I may just get the heatsink as well so if I ever do decide to overclock I won't have to worry about removing the old one removing and reapplying thermal paste etc.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Charlie98
Diamond Member

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. Its helpful to hear from others who did the Black Friday thing. I'll likely be working that Friday so its unlikely that I'll head out till I get off. Likely missing out on all the amazing doorbusters etc but meh.

Did you see anything decent on Cyber Monday or was your build all purchased prior?
I don't really remember, I'm sure I ordered a few things the next week. As I say, I don't normally participate in any of that door buster stuff... but the stars lined up in this case.

Also, I wound up with the base model Gigabyte mobo (I originally wanted a UD3 or better) but they were all gone except the $200+ boards... and I wasn't spending that. My pukey little -D2H board does everything I need it to do and has been quite stable, once I figured out the OC headroom (which isn't great, but I wanted stability over absolute performance,) so what mfenn says is correct about mobos.
Charlie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'll likely just go with one of the boards from your thread then. Any differences between the ASRock Z77 Pro3 combo and Pro4 combo's that make the purchase of the 4 worth while. (this is assuming I'm purchasing from Microcenter.) I was gonna read up on it myself but figured people in this forum were already pretty knowledgeable about them and could give me a starting point.
The Pro3 and Pro4 are very similar, get whichever one is in stock and cheaper. The Pro3 gives up two USB 2.0 ports, a DVI port for the IGP, and two SATA 6 Gb/s ports.

Quote:
Yeah I did some reading up on 120hz monitors and this seems to be the way to go. Seems like it might be worth stretching the budget for to get a slightly more quality or reputable brand too. While the forums were down and not letting me post I looked around and it seems these are pretty pricey. I can't justify dropping $400 on a monitor. It's just not in my budget. If it is REALLY nice I might be able to swing 350 but it does not seem the reputable brands are in that price range. (atleast not the ones I looked at on Amazon/Newegg). I'll be keeping me eye out for 23"+ 120hz monitors over the next couple of weeks. If anyone runs across a good deal I'd appreciate you letting me know. Same goes with the other components I'm still looking to purchase.

Seems I have a good idea on what I plan on purchasing now I just need to wait and look out for deals. I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm getting an ichy trigger finger, but I would like to save as much as I can. I can't wait to get it up and running though.
Acer is a reputable brand IMHO. The GD235HZbid is pretty much the standard Nvidia 3D Vision monitor. It isn't going to give you perfect colors like an IPS panel would, but you'll pay that price with any 120Hz monitor.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
Flacco

Quote:
Acer is a reputable brand IMHO. The GD235HZbid is pretty much the standard Nvidia 3D Vision monitor. It isn't going to give you perfect colors like an IPS panel would, but you'll pay that price with any 120Hz monitor.
Yeah that is what I was seeing. That particular model just seemed to have a decent amount of negative reviews on newegg so it made me a bit hesitant. It is a lot cheaper then the BenQ one though. And the people who got quality Acer models seemed happy enough.

Edit: Seems the Acer model is in the Daily Deals for today at $199.99. I really like the extra features on the BenQ model. (Black Equalizer, S Switch, ability to download presets etc) But it costs twice as much as that Acer. Probably not worth the extra money but I'm still leaning the BenQ's way. Stuck in class atm and dont want to order from here anyway. Have till later tonight to decide.

Last edited by Flacco; 11-12-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

It's a good deal relative to the competition at $250. IMHO it's a no-brainer at $200.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
Flacco

Picked up my processor, mb, and SSD today from Microcenter. Went because I saw in a thread on these forums that the 830 128GB was supposed to be $70 and found out there was a store 15 minutes from my work. Watched them enter it into the machine and checked the ad's and from what they told me that deal ended last week.

Was able to get the 840 120GB SSD at -$20 instantly (got it for $74.99) because I purchased my MB and processor. (Still got the -40 from this as well)

The Acer monitor sale has been extended so still waiting on that. Most of my stuff has been purchased now. I'm doing a horrible job of waiting for Black Friday lol

Updating second post with whats been purchased.

Last edited by Flacco; 11-13-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
Midnight Rambler
Diamond Member

My old E6600 system bit the dust two days ago, putting me in to BF computer-buying mode. Fortunately (?) the new Microcenter flyer came in the mail today.

Here's what I bought tonight ...

Intel 3770K CPU
Asus P8Z77-V Pro mobo
16GB (2x8) Crucial Tactical Ballistix (8-8-8-24)
WD Black 1 TB HD
Crucial M4 128GB SSD

With sales tax, the total came to $747.19 (after rebates). Via Newegg, the same exact components are $877.95.

Did I get a good deal or has the 'Egg fallen badly ?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #16
Flacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post

Probably a bit a both, though I only really researched the products I bought. Not sure why your asking in this thread rather then starting your own.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Quote:
Probably a bit a both, though I only really researched the products I bought. Not sure why your asking in this thread rather then starting your own.
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
My old E6600 system bit the dust two days ago, putting me in to BF computer-buying mode. Fortunately (?) the new Microcenter flyer came in the mail today.

Here's what I bought tonight ...

Intel 3770K CPU
Asus P8Z77-V Pro mobo
16GB (2x8) Crucial Tactical Ballistix (8-8-8-24)
WD Black 1 TB HD
Crucial M4 128GB SSD

With sales tax, the total came to $747.19 (after rebates). Via Newegg, the same exact components are $877.95.

Without knowing anything about your situation (first rule of AT:GH, fill out the sticy) or how much you paid for individual components, I can make some general statements:

- CPU: The i5 3570K performs nearly the same a lot of the time and costs a lot less
- Mobo: ASUS Pro and Deluxe mobos are pretty much a waste of money. The MC deal is a flat $40 off, so it's just as applicable to a better value board like the Z77 Pro3
- RAM: Anything RAM will silly adjectives in its name like "Tactical," "Sniper," "Vengeance," etc is probably overpriced. Paying extra for CAS 8 is definitely a bad move.
- HDD : WD Blacks are overpriced 95% of the time.
- SSD : Good if they were sold out of the Samsung 830.

2nd rule of AT:GH, post before you buy.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #18
Flacco

Went ahead and purchased the Acer monitor now that is the same price on Amazon. Was able to use my $25 gift card.

That leaves me with just the graphics card, power supply, and ram still to purchase.

Should I continue to wait on the graphics cards or do you think they may go on sale over Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Right now you get a free copy of Borderlands 2 with purchase which is something I would not mind. I wouldn't puchase the game otherwise but it looks enjoyable to play.

As far as the ram and power supply goes I have $15 off any item in Microcenter thanks to a kind fellow AT member, any recommendations for either the ram and/or PS?

As far as the power supply I'd like something bronze rated and 500W+. If it is modular that is a big plus.

Last edited by Flacco; 11-18-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #19
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

How much do you have left if your budget? This is the issue with buying stuff piecemeal, it becomes much harder to track all the money.

Last edited by mfenn; 11-19-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
Flacco

Quote:
How much do you have left if your budget? This is the issue with buying stuff piecemeal, it becomes much harder to track all them oney.
I hear ya, I'm having trouble keeping track of it myself. Thats why I've been updating the second post in the thread.

Spent 556.12

so have 443-543ish left for the graphics card, PSU, and ram. Have the additional $15 off at Microcenter as well (wouldn't purchase graphics card there as that would wipe out any gain from the coupon in taxes)
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Cool, you can pretty much get the best GPU with that kind of budget. Here's what I would get:

G.Skill DDR3 1600 8GB $35
Corsair TX650 $50 AR AP
GTX 670 $360 AR
OR
7970 GHz Ed. $420 AR
Total: $445 AR or $505 AR

You can probably get MC to pricematch Newegg on the PSU and RAM and then use your $15 GC on top of that.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #22
Flacco

Do you happen to know how the pricematch with MC works? Do they match the price before or after rebate/promotions? Because the rebate on that powersupply is newegg exclusive unfortunately thus if they don't match the price after rebates it ends up not being as good of a deal.

If they do then it is a good deal as I don't have to wait for shipping and can start building the PC if I grab the PSU and Ram from MC.

Didn't look like either of those models were listed on MC site that I could find. Is possible that my searchfu is weak tho. (Towson/MD store)

As far as the ram just go with the cheapest 1600 8GB pair if that brand is not available?

Again thanks for all the help mfenn, really appreciate your insight.

If anyone else has suggestions feel free to chime in. Or is mfenn's advice so sound that there are no other alternatives?

May just wait for the rest till Black Friday/Cyber Monday now that we are so close to see if I can find any great deals. I was too impatient for most the components but think I can last till atleast Friday now. Helps getting an idea of what to look for via your suggestions though.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #23
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Personally, I would just order everything from Newegg because the savings is going to be in the $5 range after tax and gas. But yes, you have to have the exact same item to pricematch and they include promo codes but exclude rebates. If you must get something at MC, buy the least expensive 1.5V 8GB DDR3 kit that they have.

Quote:
D
If anyone else has suggestions feel free to chime in. Or is mfenn's advice so sound that there are no other alternatives?
Could be.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
Flacco

Bah had a whole post typed up and hit the back key and lost it. Anyway purchased my graphics card off of newegg, GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD. Couldn't resist that price point with the addition of the two games.

Figures one of the last components I'm going to be getting is the most important to actually building the PC. That said what should I be looking for as far as PSU? 550 wattage enough (550 was neweggs rec for the card) or go for more? Still trying to squeeze out the last few bucks otherwise I'd jump on that Corsair TX650 right now. The more I think about it the more I want to just order now...how much will I actually save waiting for a different deal on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Have the PSU and Ram left to purchase.

Current Amount spent: 885.12
Old 11-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
mfenn
Elite Member
General Hardware

Good catch on the GPU.

You're not going to do much better than a TX650 for $50. Even dropping down to the CX line and losing 50W doesn't save you any money.