· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #651
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshah View Post
eh, at 349 and on the tmo value plan I buy a new phone every year, if not sooner, and still end up saving money vs someone on a verizon contract.
With the lack of LTE, assuming I do buy this phone, this is one I'd consider upgrading after 1 year. In my area and with my carrier (Fido in Toronto), LTE support is reportedly excellent, which is why lack of LTE is a significant issue. In other cities, or in the boonies, lack of LTE may be irrelevant until 2014.

Quote:
also, as bad as the battery life is, it's better than the gnex. so anyone that's happy with the gnex shoudl be fine with this. unfortunately a lot of people aren't happy with the gnex. i wouldn't be if I couldn't charge it at work.
It's also supposedly comparable to my 2-year old iPhone 4. Battery life on that sucks. I've dealt with it, but it's really annoying. I'm jealous of the battery life my friends get on their iPhone 5s.

OS X & iOS: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD | iPad 2
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Android: RAZR HD | Nexus 7

Last edited by Eug; 11-11-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Eug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #652
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:
edit: also, as bad as the battery life is, it's better than the gnex. so anyone that's happy with the gnex shoudl be fine with this.
Uh, no. You can swap the GNex battery.
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #653
kpkp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The Nexus 4 in previews DOES have significant issues, as indicated by both AnandTech and Ars. The Optimus G has custom performance settings to compensate.
So that explains it all?
As far I am aware noone reviewing the Optimus G had the 2 cores disabled, or did they? You make it sound like a switch changes everything, doesn't even matter how is set. In reviews I saw, the Optimus G had comparable or better bench results and better battery life then the Nexus, so what did LG do there?
You use the option to turn off 2 cores that LG gave to their costumers as proof that the phone has battery/overheating issues and I still find that stupid at least as long as you don't point to something that backs your claims.

To make it clear, I never said Nexus 4 has no issues and idk what was Google thinking by sending phones out to the reviewers in that state (iffy software and possible hardware issue).
kpkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #654
Tom
Lifer

you might want to rethink throwing the word "stupid" around so freely..
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #655
kpkp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
you might want to rethink throwing the word "stupid" around so freely..
We are just talking... It's a forum where we talk tech stuff, why would someone get offended by a stupid word, yes i did it again.
I know there are a 100 words that are more politically correct and would get my thoughts across, but I want speak my mind without the Orwellian political correctness being in my way.
Be my guest, call me stupid, idiot, weirdo... But don't tell me I can't say what I want, how I want.

Thank you
kpkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #656
magomago
Lifer

Can't wait for actual reviews to come out so we can see what this phone will be like. It amazes me how solid facts on this phone's battery life and performance simply doesn't exist; everything is contradictory.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #657
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
It's also supposedly comparable to my 2-year old iPhone 4. Battery life on that sucks. I've dealt with it, but it's really annoying. I'm jealous of the battery life my friends get on their iPhone 5s.
Maybe, as others have suggested, it may be time to invest in a micro USB battery pack. (I have one for my iPhone 4 for travel days.) That would be good for the Nexus 7 too, but I wouldn't need it as much for that, since that one has better battery life.

OS X & iOS: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD | iPad 2
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Old 11-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #658
Zink

Quote:
Originally Posted by magomago View Post
Can't wait for actual reviews to come out so we can see what this phone will be like. It amazes me how solid facts on this phone's battery life and performance simply doesn't exist; everything is contradictory.
This thread is still arguing gnex battery life a year later . Throttling and battery life are so dependent on user behavior that I don't think there is any way to get an exact numeric comparison. Every other part was great according to the podcast.
Zink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #659
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
I just want good working video chat like FaceTime. I'm not on Google+ so I don't know if Google Hangout is any better but my experience with Google Talk and video chat has been huge disappointment. It's practically unusable even on WiFi. FaceTime works well on 3G. Even on 2G EDGE, FaceTime was better than my experience with Google Talk on WiFi. It's that bad.
OK, I finally had a chance to test Google Talk Video again. I'm happy to report the video chat worked flawlessly and every bit good as Apple FaceTime. I don't know why it didn't work for me in the past but it's all good now. I used my Galaxy Nexus to call my sister on her Nexus 7 tablet.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #660
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
OK, I finally had a chance to test Google Talk Video again. I'm happy to report the video chat worked flawlessly and every bit good as Apple FaceTime. I don't know why it didn't work for me in the past but it's all good now. I used my Galaxy Nexus to call my sister on her Nexus 7 tablet.
Maybe it's been updated to lot since you last used it. I've only ever used Facetime which worked well and Yahoo video chat which was bad quality.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #661
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink View Post
This thread is still arguing gnex battery life a year later . Throttling and battery life are so dependent on user behavior that I don't think there is any way to get an exact numeric comparison. Every other part was great according to the podcast.
Well I think battery life is user dependent, but this is why we trust reviewers, especially Anandtech who does theoretical battery life testing that's comparable across many phones.

On the other hand, throttling is an issue because I don't think most users benefit that much from quad core to begin with. So if your phone starts throttling, you get 4 slower cores, and that could turn into worse performance than 2 full speed cores. Of course it's a concern. Depending on how easily you encounter throttling, I would certainly see this as an issue.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #662
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Anyone know who time the store will open up? I plan on getting a Nexus 4 NS Nexus 10.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #663
Crow550
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have used Skype. Works great.

As well as Google Plus Hangouts and tried Google Talk. Hangouts is better as you can video chat with like 9 people at a time. The best feature of G+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
Anyone know who time the store will open up? I plan on getting a Nexus 4 NS Nexus 10.
Just Tuesday, Nov. 13th....No time has yet been specified. Maybe Midnight PST?

Last edited by Crow550; 11-12-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Crow550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #664
lopri
Elite Member

I've got myself a new 32 GB Nexus 7 and am being more satisfied than the first one (16 GB). Wi-Fi is much more stable (as stable as my iPhone or other devices I have), and battery life feels better than the first one as well.

Nexus 10 and Surface was a consideration but in the end I decided that they were not a same class of hardware (as Nexus 7) and thus not for me at this time. The original issues with Nexus 7 (that were not limited to mine) still remain. Speakers are just.. bad. The colors are the same as the old one (i.e. bad) and every time I go back between my phone and tablet, the difference is like night and day.

Another thing that I am not happy about Nexus 7 is the way it renders fonts, mostly in web browsers so far in my experience. Compared to my iPhone 4 (which is now more than 2 years old), its font rendering is terrible both in performance and quality. This is true for Chrome or 3rd party browsers. A saving grace for Google here is that many browsers/sites are more and more aware of the device, and produce mobile version of sites. Still the default font looks so bad. Gets worse when zoomed in/out, and stutters follow shortly.

I am not sure what is at fault when it comes to this abysmal state of web fonts on Nexus 7? It's doubly puzzling considering its performance elsewhere (e.g. handling PDF documents)
lopri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #665
lopri
Elite Member

Is there a way to change fonts on Nexus 7? What is its system font anyway?
lopri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #666
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopri View Post
I've got myself a new 32 GB Nexus 7 and am being more satisfied than the first one (16 GB). Wi-Fi is much more stable (as stable as my iPhone or other devices I have), and battery life feels better than the first one as well.

Nexus 10 and Surface was a consideration but in the end I decided that they were not a same class of hardware (as Nexus 7) and thus not for me at this time. The original issues with Nexus 7 (that were not limited to mine) still remain. Speakers are just.. bad. The colors are the same as the old one (i.e. bad) and every time I go back between my phone and tablet, the difference is like night and day.

Another thing that I am not happy about Nexus 7 is the way it renders fonts, mostly in web browsers so far in my experience. Compared to my iPhone 4 (which is now more than 2 years old), its font rendering is terrible both in performance and quality. This is true for Chrome or 3rd party browsers.
Not sure why the WiFi or battery life should be any different on the 32 GB Nexus 7.

The Nexus 7 speaker is indeed terrible. In fact for me, it's unusable. If I need audio, I pretty much always have to use headphones with it. I've tried putting it on a stand with something behind it to reflect the sound back at me, but even then the volume is low and quality is poor.

I don't have a big issue with the fonts.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #667
Eug
Lifer

The update to Jelly Bean 4.2 for the Nexus 4 isn't happening until tomorrow (Nov. 13).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11...roid-deserves/

So, it looks like if you want to order at launch, you'll be ordering without the final reviews available yet. But at its killer pricing, I'm sure lots will do that. I am tempted myself.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #668
Viper GTS
Lifer

I'm all ready for a 4, picked up:

2 x charging mats:

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Power...dp/B0082YVBTA/

1 x portable battery:

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Power...dp/B0082YVBXQ/

Or maybe I screwed up... It seems PowerMat WAS part of the Qi standard but now may not be. So I have no idea if these are going to work.

Looks like the answer may be no, so I guess they're going back to Amazon. Stupid competing standards.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1968971

Unfortunately I'm flying to the west coast Thursday and given the cluster last time around with Nexus 7 pre-orders I have little faith they'll manage to get a 4 to me before I leave. Current plan is to have it shipped to meet me in Portland.

After listening to the AT podcast on it it's clear it's a no-brainer as a T-Mobile customer.

Viper GTS

Last edited by Viper GTS; 11-12-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Viper GTS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #669
IHAVEAQUESTION

While it's a killer price considering how much smartphone sells for just a couple months ago, I don't think it's a killer price from this point forward. Already we've seen SIII can be had for less than $500, Note II for less than $600, 920 for $450. iPhone can sell for $650 only because the demand is so great. But I believe we are entering a new era for smartphone pricing.

More power to all of us!
IHAVEAQUESTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #670
Eug
Lifer

The Galaxy S III is way more than $500 here, but even if it were $500 *retail*, that's still over 40% more than the Nexus 4, so not even in the same price league. (The Galaxy S III is $599 in Canada, with the iPhone 5 being $699. The Nexus 4 is $359, so a 67% price difference vs. the S III.)

Lumia is less, but it's a phone with an immature ecosystem, so they have to provide some sort of purchase incentive there to get people to consider it, and it's still $549 here.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #671
Red Storm
Lifer

I will be getting a 4 and then doing a test drive with Straight Talk. If AT&T's coverage and speed satisfy me, I will drop Verizon.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #672
ilkhan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper GTS View Post
I'm all ready for a 4, picked up:

2 x charging mats:

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Power...dp/B0082YVBTA/
Duracell / Powermat wireless charging mats will NOT work. They do NOT support the Qi standard.
Engergizer mats are qi compatible, but are more expensive. The LG/Verizon mats are qi and should work as the budget option.

This really sucks because if you search for qi on amazon the powermat mats will still show up despite not being compatible. My refund from amazon for the undeliverable package should show up tomorrow.
ilkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #673
Viper GTS
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkhan View Post
Duracell / Powermat wireless charging mats will NOT work. They do NOT support the Qi standard.
Engergizer mats are qi compatible, but are more expensive. The LG/Verizon mats are qi and should work as the budget option.

This really sucks because if you search for qi on amazon the powermat mats will still show up despite not being compatible. My refund from amazon for the undeliverable package should show up tomorrow.
Yep that's what got me, along with articles about when powermat DID support Qi. If this is confusing for someone posting here the general public is in deep trouble.

The Energizer mats seem to be the next best option that is readily available but they are so ugly compared to powermat.

Viper GTS
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #674
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
The update to Jelly Bean 4.2 for the Nexus 4 isn't happening until tomorrow (Nov. 13).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11...roid-deserves/

So, it looks like if you want to order at launch, you'll be ordering without the final reviews available yet. But at its killer pricing, I'm sure lots will do that. I am tempted myself.
TBH most phones don't get reviewed til after launch anyway. We were expecting icing on the cake by getting a full preview til launch. I'll treat this like an iPhone launch. Can suck as bad like antenna gate and scuffgate, etc. but at the same time it has potential to succeed.

Furthermore, there's one Nexus phone, and just because I'm unhappy with a few features doesn't mean I'll wait around again. I should've gone GNex last year.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #675
Capt Caveman
Lifer

How quickly will we get post-launch reviews? The camera and battery life issues are a big deal for me.