Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #26
sigurros81
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
You're forgetting the other half. You were allowed to set up a business in the first place. At that time, you agreed to abide by the rules and regulations affecting your business. Don't like that? Then go open your business some place else instead where they don't have such rules. How about, oh, Somalia? Don't even try to pretend that you don't think there should be some rules controlling businesses. You'd certainly mind if someone purchased your neighbor's house, tore it down, and opened up some soft of very loud business with a lot of traffic.
If only Romney would have won. Business savvy men like him would understand the need to capitalize on disasters and the importance of making an extra buck on the plight of the willing victims.
sigurros81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #27
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer
 
DrPizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 44,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigurros81 View Post
If only Romney would have won. Business savvy men like him would understand the need to capitalize on disasters and the importance of making an extra buck on the plight of the willing victims.
I'm seeing a pattern - at first, I thought you were just an idiot. Now, I realize you're just trolling.
__________________
Fainting Goats
DrPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #28
Jaskalas
Lifer
 
Jaskalas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 18,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Heyyyyyy, I have an idea (for the gas station owners) - During the year, when possible, keep a cone up in front of one pump - reserve it for people willing to pay $50 to cut to the front of the line. This seems allowed at theme parks; why not gas stations. Then, instead of waiting in line for 45 minutes for gas, people can pay $50 and cut to the front of the line. No gouging involved.

Does that idea pass the written rule of law??
That's actually quite funny, because it'd work.
__________________
"Governor Romney, I'm glad that you recognize that Al-Qaeda is a threat.
Because a few months ago when you were asked ‘What’s the biggest geopolitical threat facing America?’ you said Russia!
Not Al-Qaeda, you said Russia and the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back
because... you know... the Cold War has been over for 20 years."

-President Obama, 2012 debate.
Jaskalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #29
Doppel
Lifer
 
Doppel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13,313
Default

I am torn on the whole thing because it is major ahole move but on the on the ore hand the product still reaches people, just not ncssarily the first in line.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #30
Londo_Jowo
Lifer
 
Londo_Jowo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 13,010
Default

I'm sure Dave would have been all over this one.

I see on the alienbabeltech forum he's turned in AT P&N forums and other select member to the national cyberbullying police.
Londo_Jowo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #31
OutHouse
Lifer
 
OutHouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 29,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist420 View Post
That would not be seeing the whole picture. Would you rather pay $10/gal and have a one minute wait or would you rather pay the normal price and wait 10 hours?

Depending upon your car, how you drive and other factors, a full tank of gas can go a long way.

Also, don't forget that the State of NJ gets revenue from gas sales without full consent of the people paying it while those who were "gouged" had other options or at least weren't forced to pay something they may not have wanted to under threat of violence being committed against them.

Anyway, the aforementioned is still just part of the whole.
The gas the station is selling has already been paid for. the next gas delivery is not going cost the store owner 5.50 so yes this is gouging and good for NJ for bitch slapping the stations who did this.
__________________
20 years ago, we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don’t let Kevin Bacon die.” Bill Murray

"Going to McDonalds for a salad is like asking a prostitute for a hug." Sean Fallon

my post are being monitored by a STALKER!

Last edited by OutHouse; 11-11-2012 at 11:43 AM.
OutHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #32
buckshot24
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesKozierok View Post
Yes, it's supply and demand. And it's also gouging.

I have a problem with gouging laws in that they reduce the supply of important commodities when they are needed. But it's hard to argue in favor of jacking up prices on something that was already there when the crisis happened.
I'm totally against price gouging laws. As a business owner I should have 100% freedom in what I charge for my product or service. The customer has 100% freedom to not buy the product or service. Producing shortages is all these price gouging policies accomplish.
buckshot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #33
techs
Lifer
 
techs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 28,428
Default

I just ran down to the pharmacy and bought all the flu shots.

When the elderly come in I am going to gouge them.

Basically my sales pitch is going to be "how much is your life worth?"
__________________
Imagine a really good sig is here.
techs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #34
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer
 
DrPizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 44,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot24 View Post
I'm totally against price gouging laws. As a business owner I should have 100% freedom in what I charge for my product or service. The customer has 100% freedom to not buy the product or service. Producing shortages is all these price gouging policies accomplish.
As I said to the other idiot in the thread: when you opened your business, you agreed to follow the rules that all the businesses follow. Don't like it? Open your business somewhere else, e.g., Somalia.
__________________
Fainting Goats
DrPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #35
Charles Kozierok
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
As I said to the other idiot in the thread: when you opened your business, you agreed to follow the rules that all the businesses follow. Don't like it? Open your business somewhere else, e.g., Somalia.
The problem is that the same people who support anti-gouging laws also complain about shortages, as if the two aren't directly linked.
__________________
"Of those who say nothing, few are silent." -- Thomas Neill
Charles Kozierok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #36
buckshot24
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techs View Post
I just ran down to the pharmacy and bought all the flu shots.

When the elderly come in I am going to gouge them.

Basically my sales pitch is going to be "how much is your life worth?"
Good luck with that.

Let's look at it another way. Let's say I am a business man who sees an event coming and I invest money in creating a stockpile of widgets that would be in super high demand if my prediction is correct. Shouldn't I be able to make an appropriate profit if I'm right?

Don't you think that the people waiting in line for 4-8 hours to get gas would rather pay 7-8 dollars per gallon rather than wait in line all that time? I bet there are people paying others to wait in line for them.
buckshot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #37
buckshot24
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
As I said to the other idiot in the thread: when you opened your business, you agreed to follow the rules that all the businesses follow. Don't like it? Open your business somewhere else, e.g., Somalia.
So what? I'm talking about what is right not what is legal. I'm arguing against the law, genius.
buckshot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #38
DucatiMonster696
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesKozierok View Post
Yes, it's supply and demand. And it's also gouging.

I have a problem with gouging laws in that they reduce the supply of important commodities when they are needed. But it's hard to argue in favor of jacking up prices on something that was already there when the crisis happened.
It hard to argue that one should be allowed to poke a child with a needle but when that needle contains a much needed cure or vaccine one has to understand that allowing the inflicting of a small amount of pain is well needed if you are to protect or help that child in the long term.



"Is Price Gouging Immoral? Should It Be Illegal?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9QEkw6_O6w
__________________
"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
- Winston Churchill
DucatiMonster696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #39
DucatiMonster696
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techs View Post
I just ran down to the pharmacy and bought all the flu shots.

When the elderly come in I am going to gouge them.

Basically my sales pitch is going to be "how much is your life worth?"
And now they will have to decide if they need it or not which encourages conversations so that all those who needed will have to make a conscious decision to think through their action. In addition your price hike has the unintended consequences of raising prices in the area and thus encouraging suppliers to rush in with supplies to capitalize on the price hikes but which inevitably leads to supply increasing in the long term.

Thus Absent any profit motivation to rush to an area or region were goods and services in demand producers and retailers will not move to sate the lack of supply because there is no profit incentive to induce them to over produce or over supply. The result of which we are witnessing occurring in areas like New York and other areas affected by hurricane Sandy.
__________________
"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
- Winston Churchill
DucatiMonster696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #40
techs
Lifer
 
techs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 28,428
Default

FDR was full of shit. If my neighbors house is on fire I am going to charge him 50 percent of what his house is worth to use my hose.
__________________
Imagine a really good sig is here.
techs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #41
Fanatical Meat
Diamond Member
 
Fanatical Meat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Olds Basement
Posts: 3,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot24 View Post
Good luck with that.

Let's look at it another way. Let's say I am a business man who sees an event coming and I invest money in creating a stockpile of widgets that would be in super high demand if my prediction is correct. Shouldn't I be able to make an appropriate profit if I'm right?

Don't you think that the people waiting in line for 4-8 hours to get gas would rather pay 7-8 dollars per gallon rather than wait in line all that time? I bet there are people paying others to wait in line for them.
Above would be fine because you planned on the upcoming event, I would have a problem if you had the only bandages around town (essentially by luck) and you were willing to sell them to the guy who needed them urgently for an enormus mark up. You're not investing or planning on anything but simply taking advantage of someone who needs help.
Another way to look at this is it ok for roofing companies to target old people that have trouble understanding them and selling extremely over priced emergency roof services?
Would you do something similar to a neighbor that needed some milk? Ask them for $7 to cover the cup of milk because you need to be compensated for your lost oppertunitry of 8oz's of milk?

Last edited by Fanatical Meat; 11-11-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Fanatical Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #42
DucatiMonster696
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigurros81 View Post
If only Romney would have won. Business savvy men like him would understand the need to capitalize on disasters and the importance of making an extra buck on the plight of the willing victims.
And what occurs when they do genius? Oh that's right they inevitably and unintended create a incentive in the marketplace which others will rush to join and capitalize on and thus they hasten the increase of supplies rushing to the region.

This has been proven true through out the course of history. From natural disasters all the way to city sieges during times of war. If you remove the profit motive and attempt to implement price ceilings in order to cap prices you inevitably create shortages in goods and services because this is a axiomatic economic fact and thus you prolong the pain and recovery.
__________________
"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
- Winston Churchill
DucatiMonster696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #43
techs
Lifer
 
techs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 28,428
Default

I'm thinking I should buy an ambulance. Imagine how much people will pay when they are bleeding out for first aid!
__________________
Imagine a really good sig is here.
techs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #44
DucatiMonster696
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techs View Post
FDR was full of shit. If my neighbors house is on fire I am going to charge him 50 percent of what his house is worth to use my hose.
No, you're just to stupid or to naive to understand the economic realities at play when anti-gouging laws are enacted and there is no incentive for producers of goods and services to rush to supply a region. The evidence is as clear as day light because we are witnessing it occurring in the North East of this nation after a major hurricane has diminished the supply of goods such as gasoline. Basically you're like the retarded kid who doesn't understand that the behavior they cling to is in fact hurting them in the long term.
__________________
"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
- Winston Churchill
DucatiMonster696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #45
jagec
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 23,873
Default

Boy, a lot of people here took Econ 101 and actually believed in rational markets. The belief is questionable in the best of times, but it's particularly laughable when applied to short-term and disaster scenarios.
jagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #46
eskimospy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 32,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiMonster696 View Post
No, you're just to stupid or to naive to understand the economic realities at play when anti-gouging laws are enacted and there is no incentive for producers of goods and services to rush to supply a region.
This is just hopelessly naive. Natural disasters destroy infrastructure and transportation networks. The lack of supply isn't there because no heroic John Galts are willing to build a gasoline spewing UFO to go fly over New Jersey, it's because it can't get there at all or if it can it can't be utilized effectively due to power outages, etc. The idea that a rush of entrepreneurs are going to fix it given a profit motive is laughable.

What really happens is that people who hoarded supplies before the disaster take advantage of those who were worst affected by the disaster. Anti-gouging laws are not only smart, but valuable.
eskimospy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #47
DucatiMonster696
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimospy View Post
This is just hopelessly naive. Natural disasters destroy infrastructure and transportation networks. The lack of supply isn't there because no heroic John Galts are willing to build a gasoline spewing UFO to go fly over New Jersey, it's because it can't get there at all or if it can it can't be utilized effectively due to power outages, etc. The idea that a rush of entrepreneurs are going to fix it given a profit motive is laughable.

What really happens is that people who hoarded supplies before the disaster take advantage of those who were worst affected by the disaster. Anti-gouging laws are not only smart, but valuable.
You ignoring the fundamental fact that you basically have disincentivized producers of goods and services from reaching those affected areas by removing the profit component and suppressing prices. All you are doing is prolonging the pain because there is no really motive for anyone to rush to the area with supplies of goods even with functioning infrastructure such as the roads in regions.

This is why New York and other areas are going to be facing long term gas shortages which are unrelated to actual condition of infrastructure which is for the most part still functioning well after Sandy hit.
__________________
"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
- Winston Churchill
DucatiMonster696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #48
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer
 
DrPizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 44,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiMonster696 View Post
No, you're just to stupid or to naive to understand the economic realities at play when anti-gouging laws are enacted and there is no incentive for producers of goods and services to rush to supply a region. The evidence is as clear as day light because we are witnessing it occurring in the North East of this nation after a major hurricane has diminished the supply of goods such as gasoline. Basically you're like the retarded kid who doesn't understand that the behavior they cling to is in fact hurting them in the long term.
You completely ignored a point I made earlier - the rules don't say you can't raise prices at all. The rules allow you to raise prices by 10%. If people are making an 8% profit (reasonable), that's a huge increase, though not gouging.

So, your argument holds no weight.
__________________
Fainting Goats
DrPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #49
Brainonska511
Lifer
 
Brainonska511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiMonster696 View Post
And now they will have to decide if they need it or not which encourages conversations so that all those who needed will have to make a conscious decision to think through their action. In addition your price hike has the unintended consequences of raising prices in the area and thus encouraging suppliers to rush in with supplies to capitalize on the price hikes but which inevitably leads to supply increasing in the long term.

Thus Absent any profit motivation to rush to an area or region were goods and services in demand producers and retailers will not move to sate the lack of supply because there is no profit incentive to induce them to over produce or over supply. The result of which we are witnessing occurring in areas like New York and other areas affected by hurricane Sandy.
The suppliers and gas stations are not the ones that are capable of fixing infrastructure problems. If the gas stations have no power, then there is no point of supplying them with gasoline. There is no way to distribute those supplies even if the region was flooded with tankers - the limited availability of working gas stations also restricts the supply.

And since gasoline has a very inelastic demand, it would making gouging easy.
__________________
Desktop: Core i3-2100 | CM Hyper TX3 | AMD HD5770 | MSI H67MA-E45 (B3) | Intel 520 120GB | 8GB DDR3 1333
HTPC: SilverStone ML03 | Pentium G3240 | Gigabyte GA-H81M-H | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Corsair Force LS 60GB SSD | Antec EarthWatts 380W
Laptop: T420i | Core i3-2310M | 8GB DDR3 | Intel 525 120GB mSATA | 500GB HDD
Heatware My Flickr
Brainonska511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #50
Demo24
Diamond Member
 
Demo24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North GA
Posts: 7,826
Default

Christ, this thread is like showcase one of why people tend to find some conservatives as self-rightous moronic asshats.

Most people "Oh shit..a natural disaster just went through my region and hurt a bunch of people, I know I'll do what I can to help us all through it and in the end we'll be ok. I may not make much if any profit, but that's ok"

Asshats " Oh score! A natural disaster just screwed everyone around me. I know! I'll jack all my prices up to stupid-lol-worthy levels so at least I'LL come through this with some extra money in my pockets...fuck you alllll!"
__________________
.........
Demo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.