· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Fenixgoon
Lifer

Default YAGT: Recommend first pistol!

So all the recent YAGTs have got me interested in purchasing a firearm of my own for target shooting.

Originally I was looking the Hi-Point C9 but several friends have recommended against it. A friend of mine said to check out CDNN, and the Walther SP22 was on mad sale..but after reading online reviews, it didn't seem like the craftsmanship on it was all that great. It's a shame, because it's a very nice looking .22.

So now I'm currently checking out the S&W M&P 9mm and the Sig P250 9mm.

What do you guys think on either of those? Feel free to suggest other quality 9mm or .22 firearms. Like I said, just looking to go to a range for target shooting, so a solid 22 would be ideal, but I'm not opposed to a good 9mm either.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
jpeyton
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

I'm going to copy/paste my reply from the other thread:

Quote:
Get a nice 9mm for $500 or less.

Glock 17/19, CZ-75, Sig SP2022, S&W M&P9, Beretta 92, Walther PPQ, FNH FNP-9, etc.

Spend $50 on a decent holster, and $200 on 1000 rounds of range ammo.

Eye/ear protection, targets, cleaning supplies and a small range bag will run about $50.

So you're looking at roughly $800 to get you started.

I recommend getting your firearm at a local gun shop. Locate all the ones in your area and spend an afternoon browsing their new/used selection. It will give you a chance to hold them in your hand, dry fire them to get a feel of the trigger, and compare prices.
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
oldsmoboat
Elite Member

Price range?
If on the low end:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+Rail+15+round
oldsmoboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
jpeyton
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

A good .22LR pistol would be the Ruger Mark III. Ammunition for .22LR is significantly cheaper than 9mm (4 cents/round vs. 20 cents/round), but .22LR has a singular purpose: target shooting.

A quality 9mm pistol is something you can have fun with at the range, and keep loaded on your nightstand for home defense (or carry concealed).
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
coxmaster
Platinum Member

I've got an M&P9, and it shoots great. No complaints. I've never been a fan of the P250, but as others pointed out there are literally tons of great choices, depending on price range.

As for where to buy, that is up to you. I recommend checking out guns in person obviously, but if prices are insane (lots of shops are way over priced) you may be better off going through an independent FFL or ordering online.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Farmer
Diamond Member

Avoid the P250. I don't have first hand experience, but the news is there are problems and foulups, mostly regarding SIG's quality control. You might get one that's fine and great, but the news is enough to make you just go with another choice.

I was leaning a lot towards the P250: it's cheap, it's polymer, it's a SIG, and it's extremely modular, but after doing some Google research, I decided to go with a older, more proven design.

If it must be a SIG, as jpeyton said, SP2022.

Last edited by Farmer; 11-11-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Agent11
Diamond Member

+1 on the Ruger p95. If you can afford a little more though the Springfield XD series is very good. They have it in sub compact to tactical frames, 9mm, .40, .45, and .357.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
Tiamat
Lifer

For 22s, my experience and readings lead to:
1. Ruger markiii or buckmark
2. Ruger superten revolver
3. Ruger sr-22 for compact 22
4. s&w mp22 for full size dedicated.

I own a 2245 mark iii bull which I have made into a mark ii with volquartsen trigger and bushing. It is very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.
The revolver is very fun and accurate with nice fiber sights, also very easy to clean.

I don't intend to get a full size dedicated training 22, but the mp22 seems nice...
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
twinrider1
Platinum Member

1. Find a range where you're comfortable; where they seem helpful and not pushy.
2. Take the NRA Basic Pistol Shooter Course. It's not about politics, it's about good, basic training.
3. Handle and shoot as many weapons as possible. Recommendations are a great start, but it's more important to find something that fits you. I'd love a high capacity .45, but they just too wide for my grip. You have to find what works for you.

Also, I think it really helps if it's a gun you find attractive. It's like motorcycles. Plenty will get you from A to B. But if you look at it and it doesn't make your nether region tingle, you aren't as motivated to use it.

That said, a Ruger Mk I-II-III would be an outstanding choice. I have a Mk II, bull barrel, so I guess I'm partial to the Mk II.
-Rock solid
-Cheap ammo
-Tons of aftermarket stuff to do if you're so inclined.

Last edited by twinrider1; 11-11-2012 at 12:21 PM.
twinrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
irishScott
Lifer

Lot of suggestions, but I'd just say fuck it and go with the M&P9. Reliable, quite proven at this point, high quality, made in USA, modern, lots of options in terms of holsters/sights/accessories. An M&P45 is on my to-buy list.

Also it was SLJ's gun in The Avengers.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/The_Avenge...6_Wesson_M.26P
irishScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member

The M&P 9 gets my vote as well, I rented one at the range last week and was very impressed by it, especially considering that it's generally cheaper than the competition.

Puddle Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
BladeVenom
Lifer

Besides Ruger, the Browning Buckmark is another popular .22.
BladeVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Abe Froman
Golden Member

I was actually thinking about beginning a thread on this subject, myself. I'm interested in shooting for hobby and sport.

I'm leaning towards a Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion. Does anyone on AT have any experience with Sig handguns? Or advice you might be able to offer?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
onza
Diamond Member

M&P ___, Glock ____, & Walther PPS (i carry this)
Edited: 11/01/2004 at 09:21 PM by AnandTech Moderator
SC2: Lusid:160
onza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
BlackTigers
Diamond Member

I picked up the FNH FNP9 on my 21st birthday a few weeks ago, and have put about 1000 various rounds through it since, and it's been rock solid. Not a single jam or any issue cycling through ammunition.

Take that for what it;s worth, I got it used with three mags, and the case, for under $400.
BlackTigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #16
boomhower
Diamond Member

For a cheap 9mm a Sig 2022 would be my pick. Stay away from the 250.

For 22 you just can't beat the Mark III.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
I was actually thinking about beginning a thread on this subject, myself. I'm interested in shooting for hobby and sport.

I'm leaning towards a Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion. Does anyone on AT have any experience with Sig handguns? Or advice you might be able to offer?
Sig isn't what they used to be. Their quality and CS has went way down hill. Personally, I wouldn't pay what they want for a new full size/midsize gun. I did buy a P938 recently and really love it. If I was buying a P229 I'd get an older German made model. It wouldn't have to cool look the Scorpion but I think it's a better gun. That said, if you like the Scorpion buy it. If you get a good one it's just as good as the older ones. It's just the last couple of years a lot more bum guns have gone out and their CS is making it a lot harder than it should to get them corrected.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
Fenixgoon
Lifer

So I held quite a few more guns today, including:

Stoeger (Beretta) Cougar
S&W M&P 9mm
Hi Point C-9 compact
Hi Point 40S&W full size

the high points were very top heavy, which i suppose is to be expected based on their design, but the M&P was much more balanced. the cougar honestly felt the most comfortable of them all in my hands. great fit, good balance as far as my hands could tell, i really liked it. gonna research that some more, check out what friends have to say.... might have a winner on my hands (and in them soon enough!)
Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
irishScott
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixgoon View Post
So I held quite a few more guns today, including:

Stoeger (Beretta) Cougar
S&W M&P 9mm
Hi Point C-9 compact
Hi Point 40S&W full size

the high points were very top heavy, which i suppose is to be expected based on their design, but the M&P was much more balanced. the cougar honestly felt the most comfortable of them all in my hands. great fit, good balance as far as my hands could tell, i really liked it. gonna research that some more, check out what friends have to say.... might have a winner on my hands (and in them soon enough!)
Just a note, if you have the money, don't get a Hi-Point.
1. The trigger sucks
2. The sights are mediocre
3. The magazine capacity is smaller
4. Aftermarket accessories are limited
5. It's a freaking brick

A Hi-Point is what you get when you have no money but still want something that will reliably and accurately go bang. It's a minimum of function and zero form.
irishScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
Abe Froman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
For a cheap 9mm a Sig 2022 would be my pick** Stay away from the 250**

For 22 you just can't beat the Mark III**

Sig isn't what they used to be** Their quality and CS has went way down hill** Personally, I wouldn't pay what they want for a new full size/midsize gun** I did buy a P938 recently and really love it** If I was buying a P229 I'd get an older German made model** It wouldn't have to cool look the Scorpion but I think it's a better gun** That said, if you like the Scorpion buy it** If you get a good one it's just as good as the older ones** It's just the last couple of years a lot more bum guns have gone out and their CS is making it a lot harder than it should to get them corrected**
I haven't heard this ***plaint, so I am interested in your POV** Did you experience this personally or have you just read/heard about it?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
boomhower
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
I haven't heard this ***plaint, so I am interested in your POV** Did you experience this personally or have you just read/heard about it?
Which one, the CS and build quality or the 250? Visit any of the popular gun boards for ***plaints on Sigs recent build quality and issues with getting it repaired** No, not every gun they build is junk** By in large they still produce high quality guns** But for what they are charging it should be perfection in an extremely high percentage and this just isn't the case anymore**

Take my P938 for instance** After a week a grip screw fell out** $650 for a sub ***pact gun and they could properly tighten the grip screws** Sig just isn't what they used to be** The ***plaints are extremely ***mon these days, like I said visit any popular gun board and do a search on sig ***plaints and read through some threads and form your own opinion** Sig is still my favorite gun ***pany, I love them but their current management absolutely sucks** In addition to my P938 I have a P239** Once I get my long guns filled out a P226 or P229 will be added to the stable** I'd like to have a P228 at some point as well**

As far as the 250, it's just plain junk** Again go read a few boards and form your own opinion but I wouldn't touch one** A 2022 is around the same price and a superior gun**

Last edited by boomhower; 11-13-2012 at 12:24 PM.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #21
sdifox
No Lifer

go with the one with the most asterisks
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #22
Fenixgoon
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifox View Post
go with the one with the most asterisks
i almost spit milk out of my mouth reading this**

wtf is up with the asterisks? something is hosed with vB i guess**

anyway, i'm leaning towards the Stoeger Cougar** It had such a great feel**

the period seems to be an offending character - test** testtest****
Old 11-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #23
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixgoon View Post
i almost spit milk out of my mouth reading this**

wtf is up with the asterisks? something is hosed with vB i guess**

anyway, i'm leaning towards the Stoeger Cougar** It had such a great feel**

the period seems to be an offending character - test** testtest****

I don't know anything about guns, just thread crapping because of the asterisk overlord invasion
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
SphinxnihpS
Diamond Member

Sig
Sig
Sig
Sig
Sig
Sig

But for the love of god, get a real gun, not a 9@#@#
SphinxnihpS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #25
Abe Froman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
Which one, the CS and build quality or the 250? Visit any of the popular gun boards for ***plaints on Sigs recent build quality and issues with getting it repaired** No, not every gun they build is junk** By in large they still produce high quality guns** But for what they are charging it should be perfection in an extremely high percentage and this just isn't the case anymore**

Take my P938 for instance** After a week a grip screw fell out** $650 for a sub ***pact gun and they could properly tighten the grip screws** Sig just isn't what they used to be** The ***plaints are extremely ***mon these days, like I said visit any popular gun board and do a search on sig ***plaints and read through some threads and form your own opinion** Sig is still my favorite gun ***pany, I love them but their current management absolutely sucks** In addition to my P938 I have a P239** Once I get my long guns filled out a P226 or P229 will be added to the stable** I'd like to have a P228 at some point as well**

As far as the 250, it's just plain junk** Again go read a few boards and form your own opinion but I wouldn't touch one** A 2022 is around the same price and a superior gun**
They no longer produce the P228, wasn't it replaced by the P229? The 228 was originally recommended to me, but since I am unable to purchase one new, I was going to go with a 229.

Your thoughts, boomhower?