· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Brigandier
Diamond Member

Default Learn to shoot your 22, it's all you'll need

22 LR is a viable self defense caliber, with 22lr you can deliver rounds on target and have a low time to reacquire the target.

22LR is also useful because it's available in both long guns and pistols; thank god for multiple guns one ammunition. Beginning shooters, don't splurge on a name brand 9 mil, buy a second tier 22lr target pistol, play with it, learn it, and if anyone is dumb enough to affront you, break in your house just shoot them in the pie area, the practice and low recoil will pay off.
Brigandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
rommelrommel
Golden Member

I disagree, anything less than 500s&w cannot be counted on to defeat a crackhead. Reacquiring the target is for people that shoot pussy calibers that can't remove the target's head in a single shot.

Also, practice? What kind of lame shit is that. I've seen death wish at least six times, I'm pretty sure I can kill some punk. Even if I were to miss, which wouldn't happen, the 10 foot ball of flame would likely burn his eyeballs out.
rommelrommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
Brigandier
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
I disagree, anything less than 500s&w cannot be counted on to defeat a crackhead. Reacquiring the target is for people that shoot pussy calibers that can't remove the target's head in a single shot.

Also, practice? What kind of lame shit is that. I've seen death wish at least six times, I'm pretty sure I can kill some punk. Even if I were to miss, which wouldn't happen, the 10 foot ball of flame would likely burn his eyeballs out.
I get this, I've hung out with Bruce Campbell enough to know. But if he isn't there. guns work differently, it't like they hit where you point them.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
redgtxdi
Diamond Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d84r8gMGxFQ

Now that is what the fook I am tolking about!

Fixed link to non-mobile link. -DrPizza

Last edited by DrPizza; 11-11-2012 at 10:06 AM.
redgtxdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
Brigandier
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgtxdi View Post
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d84r8gMGxFQ

Now that is what the fook I am tolking about!
First off, this is a WEBsite, we don't need mobile.

Second, if that's not an American 180, I don't give a shit.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Baked
Lifer

I always aim for the head and that's what I practice on. Pop! But I'm not going out with a .22.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
Brigandier
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
I always aim for the head and that's what I practice on. Pop! But I'm not going out with a .22.
.22 is the oldest caliber. If someone broke in my bedroom, I'd go the the closet shotty, if someone broke in my house, I'd grab my 10/22.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
Agent11
Diamond Member

Only if you hit the heart or brain. Otherwise your attacker could very well shove your .22 up your ass.

For stopping power you need a larger caliber. There is a reason you don't hunt much of anything with a .22.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
Farmer
Diamond Member

Nothing short of 30x173mm for me. It's really the only self defense round you should consider.

Last edited by Farmer; 11-10-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
Brigandier
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11 View Post
Only if you hit the heart or brain. Otherwise your attacker could very well shove your .22 up your ass.

For stopping power you need a larger caliber. There is a reason you don't hunt much of anything with a .22.
I hit red squirrel vitals at 50 yards, so that's about two inch spread. I'm okay with that.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
Brigandier
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Nothing short of 30x173mm for me. It's really the only self defense round you should consider.
I consider self defense, and then self defense rounds. I don't live in the middle east or eastern europe, the way my quarters are set up, I have my front door and a long hall, 22 lr is all I need.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #12
Farmer
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigandier View Post
I hit red squirrel vitals at 50 yards, so that's about two inch spread. I'm okay with that.
Off a bench. On a nice sunny day.

Honestly you gotta go with 30mm or larger. Ideally, a naval caliber. That way you can't really miss.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
boomhower
Diamond Member

If your happy, I'm happy. 22LR as a dedicated self defense round is not something many would recommend. Aiming for the head is also something almost no one is going to recommend. Any service caliber and center mass are tried and try methods, and what I'll stick with.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #14
StrangerGuy
Diamond Member

People have been riddled full of holes by larger pistol rounds yet still standing, and you claim .22 LR is a viable self defense caliber.

Riiiiiiiight.
StrangerGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #15
shortylickens
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerGuy View Post
People have been riddled full of holes by larger pistol rounds yet still standing, and you claim .22 LR is a viable self defense caliber.

Riiiiiiiight.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_massacre
shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #16
Doppel
Lifer

I wouldn't even think of trying to defend myself except with big game slugs in a 10 gauge.

Really though I was watching doomsday preppers (is a great show, really), and some guy there was going on about .22 and it's great and easily common. He had a good argument, but then most of the people on that show are batsh*t fvcking crazy.

Of course there isn't a person in this thread who would not do all they could do not avoid being hit with a 22. Hitting with a low cal is better than missing with a high but there is a reason why security forces use heavier calibers for the most part. Kick back on something like a 9 can be very low anyway.
Doppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #17
StrangerGuy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortylickens View Post
Which part of "self-defense" you don't understand?
StrangerGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #18
Perknose
Forum Director &
Omnipotent Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigandier View Post
22 LR is a viable self defense caliber, with 22lr you can deliver rounds on target and have a low time to reacquire the target.

22LR is also useful because it's available in both long guns and pistols; thank god for multiple guns one ammunition. Beginning shooters, don't splurge on a name brand 9 mil, buy a second tier 22lr target pistol, play with it, learn it, and if anyone is dumb enough to affront you, break in your house just shoot them in the pie area, the practice and low recoil will pay off.
I agree completely, if by "pie area" you mean center mass. Being tech geeks and hardware sluts, noobs are attracted to the shiny, "manly" stuff. Get an used but decent .22 rifle cheap, learn on it, and you'll never want for the makings for squirrel pie again.

For home defense for noobs, get a shotgun. Don't ever underestimate how much a real life, real time situation differs from practice at a gun range. Your adrenaline is rushing, and shit happens. At close range, a shotgun seldom misses.
I'm sitting in the middle of this ecstasy
And I'm wondering where the lions are...

-- Bruce Cockburn
Perknose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #19
Nintendesert
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perknose View Post
I agree completely, if by "pie area" you mean center mass. Being tech geeks and hardware sluts, noobs are attracted to the shiny, "manly" stuff. Get an used but decent .22 rifle cheap, learn on it, and you'll never want for the makings for squirrel pie again.

For home defense for noobs, get a shotgun. Don't ever underestimate how much a real life, real time situation differs from practice at a gun range. Your adrenaline is rushing, and shit happens. At close range, a shotgun seldom misses.

A shotgun still needs to be aimed. The spread pattern is not nearly as great as people are led to believe due to movies and video games. In a home defense situation the distances aren't great enough to allow the shot pattern to even spread by any real amount. Granted we're talking legal shotguns here and not something that's been shortened.

That being said a shotgun is the best home defense weapon. For those that don't want the kick of a 12gauge I really like a 20gauge with buckshot. The Youth models are also great because they are slightly shortened over a regular shotgun so it makes movement in a home environment easier.

As for the OP and the 22LR round. Well, you need to learn the difference between lethality and stopping power. In a home defense situation you are not looking to kill the intruder. You are looking to incapacitate the intruder, you want him to stop his aggression immediately.

The 22LR will kill someone. It's a very lethal round, however, the ability of it to instantly stop someone attacking isn't nearly as great. Punching little holes in someone until they bleed to death isn't going to save you from the attacker. Punching bigger holes or in the case of the shotgun an instant group of 9mm rounds in center mass stops someone. It does a much better job of sending the person into shock and tearing up enough of their body that they can't keep coming at you.

Home defense weapons should be looked at for stopping power and not lethality. Killing isn't the goal, simply stopping the attack is.

And also as Perknose also mentioned, in a situation like this you aren't going to be capable of aiming for vitals beyond center mass. And even then you'll be lucky to hit center mass without luck or training. The odds are you won't hit anything that will instantly kill with that 22LR in a home invasion situation.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #20
MagickMan
Diamond Member

Get a 12ga pump-action with a short barrel for home defense.

/thread

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." - Henry VI, Pt. II: Act 4, Scn 2

Last edited by MagickMan; 11-11-2012 at 07:25 AM.
MagickMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #21
Agent11
Diamond Member

If cost is the main factor you can get cheap used .380's and 9mm's if you know where to look... I just don't get what the upside is supposed to be to using .22.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #22
ManBearPig
Diamond Member

I've heard that .22lr is inherently less reliable because its a weaker round or something. Is that true? Certainly seems like there were more FTF at the range when I used one. Whether due to limp writing which I think it's more prone to or the weakness of the round or both, I dunno.
ManBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #23
rudeguy
Lifer

every gun thread someone pops off with this and I disagree 100%.

Yes my first gun I shot was a .22 but that was only for a few rounds (less than 10) to teach me to line up the sights. After that I shot 12 gauge shotguns and that was it until I graduated to pistols. The first pistol I shot was a .45 revolver with a hair trigger.

You know what shooting those bigger guns taught me? Proper form. A 6 year old can shoot a .22 straight but would have no chance at a .40 or even a 9mm. You can pick up very bad habits when those habits don't have consequences. I really wish I had bought a .40 for everyday carry before I bought a 9mm. I know that I would be much more accurate with higher caliber weapons if I had. As it stands, I am very good with the first 2 shots of a .40 but the rest are barely on target. With a 9, all shots are on target no matter how fast I shoot.

If all you are ever going to shoot is a .22, that's fine. But if you want a larger caliber, good luck. You are going to have to unlearn shooting habits which is much, much harder than learning the proper ones straight away.

/rant
Old 11-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #24
Nintendesert
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickMan View Post
Get a 12ga pump-action with a short barrel for home defense.

/thread

Shotguns without stocks are horrible weapons. Target acquisition is slower and the chance of actually hitting the target are far lower. Terrible home defense weapons in every way.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #25
Agent11
Diamond Member

I wouldn't want to be facing one of those at the end of the hallway, that's for sure. A buttstock would come in handy for manual persuasion though.

Hell, just get a surplus WWII rifle and fix a bayonet on it. Wouldn't be very responsible if you had neighbors though... I imagine your average battle rifle would punch through several walls.

Last edited by Agent11; 11-11-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Agent11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big peen lil gun, fromunda, macabre, yagt