· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #76
pontifex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
Go look up what causes a slamfire. If the primer is seated right, you get a dimple when you chamber the round. If it isn't seated right, that dimple can become enough to set the round off while out of battery.

More than that:
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...2828#Post92827
i know what a slam fire is. you keep quoting poor or poorly made ammo as the reason. that can be 1 reason, or if the firing pin gets stuck in the forward position, which is most likely from an improperly maintained firearm.

as to your link, they had 1 gun (custom built by someone who's experience and quality is suspect), but that's proof of what, may I ask? Your link even states that a model made by springfield doesn't have this problem...
pontifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #77
rommelrommel
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantAndroid View Post
Wait, what? The Garand and SKS are far from 100 years old. The series 70s and 80s 1911s are also not 100 years old - and there are reports of series 80 1911s still going off.'

More than that, look around. You'll see reports of SIG556s going off, TAR21s...

Inertial firing pins can go off. It's just a design problem.
I was saying that the model 70 is a variant of a 100+ year old design and that talking about garand and SKS slamfires is kind of non sequitor in a thread about buying a handgun.
rommelrommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #78
Lemon law
Lifer

Somehow I have to love our OP's thread title. As the question is, " Gun nuts - I need your advice."

As I maintain there is something automatically defective in asking nuts for advice1
Lemon law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #79
Brigandier
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon law View Post
Somehow I have to love our OP's thread title. As the question is, " Gun nuts - I need your advice."

As I maintain there is something automatically defective in asking nuts for advice1
lol, LL wins the thread.
Brigandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #80
redgtxdi
Diamond Member

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d84r8gMGxFQ

This is suggestion from helpful Russian guy. Consumer advocate in commercial and residential arms.

redgtxdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #81
OverVolt
Lifer

I was just curious what other people thought about recoil. I'll see people firing like .500 S&W's at the range like HURR DURRR but really the recoil is more about the anticipation more than the actual momentum push.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urxT53-Ukig

Stuff like that.

Firing any gun breaks your sight picture and all you can really do is practice practice practice to get faster.

Don't put a chambered SKS in your trunk fo real. Other than that its not a big deal. Don't drop your pistol on a hard surface muzzle-side down :/

Last edited by OverVolt; 11-10-2012 at 11:59 PM.
OverVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #82
boomhower
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverVolt View Post
I was just curious what other people thought about recoil. I'll see people firing like .500 S&W's at the range like HURR DURRR but really the recoil is more about the anticipation more than the actual momentum push.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urxT53-Ukig

Stuff like that.

Firing any gun breaks your sight picture and all you can really do is practice practice practice to get faster.

Don't put a chambered SKS in your trunk fo real. Other than that its not a big deal. Don't drop your pistol on a hard surface muzzle-side down :/
It's not always how much recoil but what kind of recoil. The .40 isn't harsh to shoot but it's snappy. Meaning it wants to push your muzzle up hard and fast. A .45 on the other hand has a softer but longer push almost straight back. 9mm is just plain light until you get into pocket pistols and still isn't bad at all. If you want some recoil crank off a few .454 rounds.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #83
madoka
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoka View Post
About to purchase my first handgun. I liked shooting my friend's Sig P226 .40, so I figured I'd get that one. How is it as a beginner gun?

It's $960 at Turner's and comes with night sights. Does this sound like a good price?
Update:

Bought my Sig P226R 9mm for $900 out the door at a local gun shop.

Phase I
- Sig P226
- S&W Model 41 .22
- Colt AR with Aimpro Pro

Phase II
- SCAR 17
- FN Herstal PS90 (I'm a fan of Stargate)
- LWRC REPR

So Phase I is done. What do you guys think about Phase II?
madoka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #84
Farmer
Diamond Member

You bought 3 guns in a month? Each of which cost $1000 or more new?

I think Phase II should be shoot them.

I want to buy a Model 41 for my GF, it is such a goddamn beautiful gun.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #85
boomhower
Diamond Member

Quote:
Update:

Bought my Sig P226R 9mm for $900 out the door at a local gun shop.

Phase I
- Sig P226
- S&W Model 41 .22
- Colt AR with Aimpro Pro

Phase II
- SCAR 17
- FN Herstal PS90 (I'm a fan of Stargate)
- LWRC REPR

So Phase I is done. What do you guys think about Phase II?
I'm with Farmer, learn to shoot what you have. But to answer the question, I'd rethink it. Drop either the SCAR or REPR. Both are semi auto 7.62 rifles, get some variety. If you like commonality in platforms, keep the REPR to go with the Colt. If you want something different drop the REPR and get the SCAR. Check into ammo availability and cost before picking up the PS90. I can get them for $800 but won't touch one due to lack of ammo and the cost when you can find it, makes shooting the AR downright cheap. I'd get a shotgun instead of one of the rifles. Since you seem to like highend, the Benelli M4 is the defacto choice but I really like the FN SLP as well.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #86
BladeVenom
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I'm with Farmer, learn to shoot what you have. But to answer the question, I'd rethink it. Drop either the SCAR or REPR. Both are semi auto 7.62 rifles, get some variety.
I agree. Start shooting. Get a shotgun next.
BladeVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #87
madoka
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
You bought 3 guns in a month? Each of which cost $1000 or more new?

I think Phase II should be shoot them.
To be honest, I got the Colt AR and the Sig P226. But because of the 1 handgun every 30 days rule in CA, I have to wait on the Model 41. But it is on order, so I consider it just a matter of time.

I also picked up a Mega Arms lower, a PSA lower premium kit, a couple of Howard Leight Impact Sports earmuffs, and about $1000 in ammo.

I've got more money than time. So if I were to spend a day shooting, I want a variety of guns to maximize my enjoyment. The upshot is that I don't mind stockpiling a variety of different weapons for that day.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #88
madoka
Golden Member

Quote:
Drop either the SCAR or REPR. Both are semi auto 7.62 rifles, get some variety. If you like commonality in platforms, keep the REPR to go with the Colt. If you want something different drop the REPR and get the SCAR. Check into ammo availability and cost before picking up the PS90. I can get them for $800 but won't touch one due to lack of ammo and the cost when you can find it, makes shooting the AR downright cheap. I'd get a shotgun instead of one of the rifles. Since you seem to like highend, the Benelli M4 is the defacto choice but I really like the FN SLP as well.
Thanks for the advice. I will add the M4 to my shopping list.

I found out that the closest range (indoor) to me won't let you go beyond a .22 rifle, so I will likely refocus on getting one of those instead of the REPR or the PS90 for now. So is there a .22 rifle that's considered the best?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #89
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowKat View Post
Last time I fired a 40 cal my hand regretted it. I prefer a smooth 9mm like a Browning Hi-Power.
You're either a huge pussy or it was a gun designed for deep concealment (or both). I own a Colt Officer's Model, this was the second handgun I ever purchased, (it is a chopped down .45 ACP 1911 and it kicks pretty good) but I've yet to shoot a .40 that my hand regretted. I bought that gun in 1991 and I still own it. I'll never sell it.

Personally, I'd get a Sig P220.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa

Last edited by JulesMaximus; 12-05-2012 at 10:12 PM.
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #90
Farmer
Diamond Member

Quote:
So is there a .22 rifle that's considered the best?
If money is no object, Sako Quad or an Anshutz. Add good glass (Japanese or European) and it is close to $2000 new. For slightly cheaper, CZ 452 or 453. These are all precision bolt actions.

For cheap plinking, a Ruger 10/22.

If you've got the money, by all means get the good stuff. If you're going to spend money, get the best you can.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #91
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
If money is no object, Sako Quad or an Anshutz. Add good glass (Japanese or European) and it is close to $2000 new. For slightly cheaper, CZ 452 or 453. These are all precision bolt actions.

For cheap plinking, a Ruger 10/22.

If you've got the money, by all means get the good stuff. If you're going to spend money, get the best you can.
Get the 10/22. Tons of aftermarket support for it and it is a great gun. I bought one in the early 90s for around $100 and picked up the mod bug about a year ago when I started taking my son shooting.

A friend of mine has Anschutz rifle and it is an excellent rifle but I still like the 10/22 for its cheap plinking fun.

Here's a shot of my son shooting the Ruger 10/22 and my friend with the Anschutz in the background.

“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa

Last edited by JulesMaximus; 12-05-2012 at 10:48 PM.
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #92
boomhower
Diamond Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I will add the M4 to my shopping list.

I found out that the closest range (indoor) to me won't let you go beyond a .22 rifle, so I will likely refocus on getting one of those instead of the REPR or the PS90 for now. So is there a .22 rifle that's considered the best?
Best at what? If it's fun then get a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22. It's a functional equivalent of an AR but it's polymer and shoots .22's. They are cheap to at under $500. The high end .22's focus on accuracy which at indoor range distances seems kind of pointless.

Another option is a .22 upper for your Colt. CMMG would be a good option. This route would give you the ability to use you actual Colt for the best practice with just missing the recoil of the real deal. Same weight, feel, etc. Downside is you'll spend as much on the upper as you would on the 15-22 gun. Go to primaryarms.com and get an Aimpoint M4 knock-off to complete the practice package. They are cheap but very solid for range duty, they hold zero just fine. Main downside is battery life.

Have you asked the range about 5.7 ammo? It's really not much more than a hopped up .22.(well, so is the .223/5.56 but there isn't a ton of steel penetrating ammo that will destroy their bullet catches in 5.7 like there is in .223/5.56.)

Look around your area and find a shooting club. It sounds like your in a free state so there should be one pretty close. It's the best thing you'll do for shooting enjoyment.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #93
madoka
Golden Member

Quote:
Best at what? If it's fun then get a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22.
Thanks for the recommendation. Bought this rifle and got the matching AR-15 go with it.

So in the past few weeks I went from zero knowledge of guns to owning these:

- Sig P226 with Crimson Trace laser, four Mec Gar mags, and the Sig .22 conversion kit

- Colt 6920 with Aimpoint Pro

- Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22

- Smith and Wesson M&P 15 MOE

- Daniel Defense M4 V2 with a Eotech EOLAD

Not to mention 20,000 rounds of ammo, 20 extra mags for the AR-15s, several hearing and eye protection devices, cleaning kits, targets, additional lowers (for building more ARs later), locks, safes, etc.

Next up, I'm looking for about five more lowers and two more complete ARs (Sig M400 and Stag Arms Model 8). Then it's on to the 308 caliber guns.

All thanks to Obama and Feinstein - a couple of the greatest gun salespeople in history!
Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #94
TallBill
Lifer

Lol got money to burn eh? I'd recommend going with different platforms before owning a bunch of Ar's... You'll learn a hell of a bunch more.

I'm picking up a glock 23 next week to carry. On my list of wants is a pump gun, a snub nose revolver, a full sized revolver, an m1a, and another battle rifle of some sort. Maybe a 6.8 or a rra 458 socom.

Slammin!
TallBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #95
jpeyton
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBill View Post
Lol got money to burn eh? I'd recommend going with different platforms before owning a bunch of Ar's... You'll learn a hell of a bunch more.

I'm picking up a glock 23 next week to carry. On my list of wants is a pump gun, a snub nose revolver, a full sized revolver, an m1a, and another battle rifle of some sort. Maybe a 6.8 or a rra 458 socom.
Ditto. Over the last two months, I've added AR and AK platform rifles and got my full sized revolver (Ruger SRH Alaskan .44). I already owned a battle rifle (FAL).

My want list right now isn't very big: a Glock chambered in 9mm (17 or 19). A Remington 870 with an 18.5" barrel. And a Remington 700 chambered in .308. The Glock is obviously a priority because it's an easy legislative target.

Last edited by jpeyton; 12-18-2012 at 03:24 AM.
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:46 AM   #96
TallBill
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeyton View Post
Ditto. Over the last two months, I've added AR and AK platform rifles and got my full sized revolver (Ruger SRH Alaskan .44). I already owned a battle rifle (FAL).

My want list right now isn't very big: a Glock chambered in 9mm (17 or 19). A Remington 870 with an 18.5" barrel. And a Remington 700 chambered in .308. The Glock is obviously a priority because it's an easy legislative target.
I recommend the 19. Absolutely loved mine, gladly gave it to my ex when I divorced. That's why I'm going with the 23, same size frame.

And I will sell sock to get an m1a if legislation comes down affecting them. Would be happy with an ak, an ar, and an m1a.

Slammin!

Last edited by TallBill; 12-18-2012 at 03:49 AM.
TallBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #97
jpeyton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBill View Post
I recommend the 19. Absolutely loved mine, gladly gave it to my ex when I divorced. That's why I'm going with the 23, same size frame.

And I will sell sock to get an m1a if legislation comes down affecting them. Would be happy with an ak, an ar, and an m1a.
Ended up ordering a Gen4 G17; should be here Friday. Gen4 G19s are OOS locally and the ETA would be in January, but I have a feeling supply will be even scarcer a few weeks from now.

Now comes the daunting task of sourcing some decently priced factory Glock 17rd and 33rd magazines.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #98
phucheneh
Diamond Member

Did you handle a gen3? They have a vastly superior feel, IMHO.

As do the Springfield XD, Steyr M9, and a host of other striker fired pistols offered in a similar size. I'm sure there's a Glock crowd that will tell me to fuck off, but the things are just overrated. They may have popularized the striker fire, but they sure didn't perfect it.

Although some are inexplicable better than others. I've checked out a .45 single stack compact (can't remember the number), and the trigger felt excellent. Way better than the multiple 19's I've had experience with.
phucheneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #99
jpeyton

Quote:
Originally Posted by phucheneh View Post
Did you handle a gen3? They have a vastly superior feel, IMHO.

As do the Springfield XD, Steyr M9, and a host of other striker fired pistols offered in a similar size. I'm sure there's a Glock crowd that will tell me to fuck off, but the things are just overrated. They may have popularized the striker fire, but they sure didn't perfect it.

Although some are inexplicable better than others. I've checked out a .45 single stack compact (can't remember the number), and the trigger felt excellent. Way better than the multiple 19's I've had experience with.
I've owned a Gen3 before, and I traded it away earlier this year to get my dream wheel-gun (a decision I don't regret at all).

I disagree that the Gen3 feels better. I felt the grip circumference was too long and it the sides of the grip were too smooth. I had a Pachmayr grip sleeve on mine to give it enough tackiness.

The Gen4s recoil spring and extractor issues are all sorted at this point. I want a Glock because of (relatively) inexpensive, readily available high-cap magazines and accessories. Factory Glock magazines are ~$20 each and good quality Korean copies are ~$10 each. I can get a threaded G17 barrel for $125. Triggers and sights up the wazoo. But stock, it's an absurdly reliable soft-shooting handgun with a good enough trigger.

The only guns I cross-shopped were the M&P 9 (really nice handgun, stock trigger isn't as good as the Glocks) and the Walther PPQ (amazing stock trigger, sky-high magazine prices).

Glock didn't perfect the striker fired polymer handgun, but they're like the Honda Accord of the market. There are other models that beat it in certain categories but no one offers a better all-around package.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #100
shortylickens
No Lifer

I dont know if its been flatout stated but Neither Glock, Sig, H&K, Kimber, or Springfield make great beginner guns. Too damn expensive for a hobby you may not necessarily enjoy.

If you are just starting I recommend a Ruger, Kahr, or one of the less expensive Smith & Wessons. Maybe Beretta if you can find a used one for less money than normal.