· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

View Poll Results: Which phone would you choose?
IPhone 5 15 26.32%
Lumia 920 42 73.68%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Reckoner
Lifer

Default Lumia 920 or IPhone 5

If you had a choice between either of these phones, which one would you go with and why?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
IamDavid
Diamond Member

920. Use it and you'll see for yourself.
IamDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
zerocool84
Lifer

Just go check out both phones in store to see which one you like. Another thing is app concern, if Windows Phone doesn't have the apps you want/need right now, that could factor in your decision. The Live Tiles are a very cool idea so that's a plus for that, so is the larger/higher rez screen. It just comes down to preference.
zerocool84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
bearxor
Diamond Member

Right now, for me, the iPhone. It's a more mature platform with more applications available. And I still haven't seen the value of Windows Phone outside of a "stay connected with your social networks better" sales pitch from Microsoft, and as someone without a Facebook or twitter account, the pitch falls well short.

The only thing the 920 has going for it for me is the camera. But even then, the camera isn't significantly better that that on the iPhone, so....
Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Mopetar
Diamond Member

The 920 is a pretty nice phone. The screen is nice, the camera is superb, and has a large battery. The only real knock against it is that it's pretty heavy compared to other devices. There are a few other nice features like the wireless charging that make me interested as well so I'd probably lean in that direction.

I'd suggest going to a store and trying both out for a while just to get a feel for them. The 4.5" screen is a little large for my taste, so I'd need to see how it felt in hand before committing to it though.
Mopetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
If you had a choice between either of these phones, which one would you go with and why?
The iPhone... and then I'd flip it for the Note 2.

Seriously, though, these are as different as two flagship devices could be. Size/mass, platform maturity, design aesthetic... you surely have a preference in these areas, right?
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Reckoner
Lifer

I actually have both in front of me. I just keep going back and forth
Old 11-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Reckoner
Lifer

The lack of apps is a killer though. It's missing my Schwab banking app, vanguard, and good for enterprise (which I unfortunately need for work)
Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Fox5
Diamond Member

Of the two, the iPhone, but I would go with an Android phone.

iPhone is king of apps, and that's really what matters on a smart phone. Sure, they all have the same basic functionality, but iphone still has a better browser (by far) and when everyone is playing the next hot new game, you'll be feeling left out.

heatware
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=35565
Fox5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
Zivic
Platinum Member

920... screen size... and I can't stand itunes
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Oyeve
Lifer

Lumina if only for something different. iPhone and IOS are becoming really boring in the last 2versions.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
JavaMomma

I'd also go with the iPhone, there aren't really any apps for Windows Phone yet. Had a buddy who "upgraded" to a Windows Phone 7 (7.5) like a year ago. He went back to using his old iPhone 3GS after a month, just to many things he couldn't do with it. I like to rub it in and asked him if he was going get a Windows Phone 8 last week, lol, it was a pretty stern NO! hahaha. I'm sure Windows Phone 8 will be better but I sure wouldn't want to go through the early adopter pains with a lack of apps.

I actually recently just for the heck of it went through all my major apps just see what there and what was missing (I actually kind of like Windows Phone UI). I found that Windows Phone didn't have apps for most of what I use. What was amazing was Black Berry actually had apps for almost everything I do.

I'd suggest doing the same, make a list of the Apps you want/need and compare off that. Both OSes are good and the hardware in both is good (performance wise). So, it comes down to apps and looks/dimensions/weight.

However, if it was me, I know I'd be happy with the iPhone, maybe I'd be happy with Windows Phone??? So, I'd go with the safer bet.
JavaMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
gsethi
Diamond Member

I have both infront of me. Love the screen size and resolution on Lumia (iphone seems like a toy). It is big but fits very nicely in hand.

As everyone is saying, limited apps for Windows Phone. Also, no VPN support. But I am loving Live tiles.

iOS just seems boring compared to Windows Phone 8. Only thing iPhone has an advantage is its huge library of apps.

Apple needs to refresh its iOS. Microsoft needs to have apps asap.

Some minor annoyances of WP8 so far: (Will add as I play more)
- No screen orientation Lock.
- Rendering of PDFs slow (compared to iPhone)
- No battery percentage on icon
- No Favorites Contact list - Have to Pin Favorites on Home Screen (Workaround: use GROUPS and Pin to Home Screen) - Thanks to BornStar
- No VPN Support (Workaround: Remote Desktop to another computer and access VPN through it)
If you disagree with me or think that I made a typographical error, then you are not thinking right. Think Again.

Last edited by gsethi; 11-11-2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Adding
gsethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
Reckoner
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsethi View Post
I have both infront of me. Love the screen size and resolution on Lumia (iphone seems like a toy). It is big but fits very nicely in hand.

As everyone is saying, limited apps for Windows Phone. Also, no VPN support. But I am loving Live tiles.

iOS just seems boring compared to Windows Phone 8. Only thing iPhone has an advantage is its huge library of apps.

Apple needs to refresh its iOS. Microsoft needs to have apps asap.
Are you planning on keeping both?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
gsethi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Are you planning on keeping both?
No. Thinking of selling the iPhone5 while I can cash it. (bought my Lumia 920 at non-commitment price).
If you disagree with me or think that I made a typographical error, then you are not thinking right. Think Again.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #16
zerogear
Diamond Member

Windows Phone 8 and 7 apps are backwards compatible. So iirc, it has over 50k apps last I heard
Old 11-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #17
smartpatrol

I own an iPhone 5 and my girlfriend just picked up a Lumia 920 this morning.

They're as different as night and day. It depends what matters to you. I chose the iPhone because it has by far the best selection of apps and games. It's thin, light, and has the best build quality out of any smartphone IMO. I also love how it has a physical button rather than capacitive buttons (I hate hitting the start button or home button by mistake on WP/Android).

If you want a tank of a phone with a big screen and the best camera you can get on a smartphone, go with the Lumia. It's also worth getting if you are already invested in the Microsoft world. It's pretty cool to earn Xbox Live achievements on your phone. Haven't had a chance to try out the wireless charger yet, but that could add to the coolness factor.
smartpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #18
BornStar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsethi View Post
- No Favorites Contact list - Have to Pin Favorites on Home Screen (can become huge for home screen)
Create a group with your favorite contacts and pin that to your start screen.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #19
ray6712

Listen I like both but being on Verizon i have the iPhone 5 now all things considered if it were available to me I would give the 920 a try but I would also factor in the ecosystem and the corporations backing of their product. Having owned a great number of Nokia products in the past I'm confident in their hardware but they have zero presence in the way the ecosystem they are attached to is operated.

The one area Apple leads in this industry is they're products are truly theirs they don't have to bend for anybody and they control how the app selection is bought and is controlled. Plus being able to go to an Apple store for problems, warranty concerns are a definite plus things to consider
ray6712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #20
321.HAX

I'd still go with the lumia 920. Honestly, I love my iPhone 4s, however after seeing its successor along with the other phones that came out with it (SIII, Note 2, Lumia 920, etc.), I'm thinking of switching to win mo 8. I see a very good future with the app development on windows 8. Which is, in my opinion, the only reason why iphone is still a big competitor on the phone market.
321.HAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #21
s44
Diamond Member

Ok, I said this as a joke before, but it's true: if you can carry a phone as big and heavy as the 920, you should be getting a Note 2.
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #22
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
Ok, I said this as a joke before, but it's true: if you can carry a phone as big and heavy as the 920, you should be getting a Note 2.
The UI of TouchWiz is the antithesis of Windows Phone. Not sure why anyone equally prefer both.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #23
gsethi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornStar View Post
Create a group with your favorite contacts and pin that to your start screen.
Great. Thanks.

Found Workaround for VPN Solution:
1) Remote Desktop into computer
2) Connect to your VPN network from that computer (which you are remotely logged into)
3) You have access to your VPN. (but you are doing it through your computer.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #24
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

i mentioned this in another thread but ie cant display some common web pages properly and instead displays simplified versions of the mobile web pages. thats totally unacceptable and would definitely be a reason to avoid windows 8. iphone has no such problems. it would be a disaster to not be able to properly acccess certain business websites from your phone. also the lumia screen appears to be covered with plastic that really easily gets fine scratches. i personally find flipping tiles to be time consuming and hard on the eyes. definitely get iphone over 920, its no contest at all. windows 8 still has an unfinished feel to it imo

Last edited by OBLAMA2009; 11-11-2012 at 05:33 AM.
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #25
aaksheytalwar
Diamond Member

iPhone 5 or android any Day over win phn 8