· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
spiritofjerry

Default PCI Video Card worth it for this Core 2 Duo Machine?

Hello,

New to these forums, here, so go gentle.

I am trying to decide whether to purchase a video card for my machine. It is a Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8 Ghz machine running a measly 250W power supply. The built-in graphics, according to CPU-Z, is the Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME on-board. Total allocated video memory is 64 MB. I was thinking about jumping up to a GeForce 8400 option, does that sound like it would be better than the on-board?

Here's the other thing: there only are 2 PCI slots available (no PCI-e or AGP, as it's a smaller tower). I know this really limits my options and speed, but keep in mind my low-power PSU, so I am quite restricted matter how I cut it. From what I understand, however, my wattage consumption is relatively low on the machine, and I am not looking to do any 3D gaming - just HD video streaming (all I really want is for a 1080p Youtube, Netflix, etc. video to look decent and not 'chop chop'.)

Is this possible to playback 1080p videos and decrease processor load when loading Web pages with a card like this?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814187182

I'm looking to accommodate a 23" or 24" widescreen display @ 1600x1200.

Any input is appreciated!
spiritofjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Magic Carpet
Golden Member

I'd rather get this.
Magic Carpet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
angminas
Platinum Member

Welcome!

A few pointers:

I haven't dealt with PCI video cards in several years, but any card you can get should free up some RAM if you can disable the onboard video. If you don't have enough RAM, that will provide a performance boost..but if you have plenty already, adding 64 won't be noticeable.

If you're willing to look at cheapo / used, you might find a small motherboard and a much more powerful PCI-Express card for not too much than you're looking at spending already. If that's overkill, it's overkill, but it's an option.

Wattage of your PSU is less important than amperage. It may be more or less powerful than you realize. Take a look at this: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

Don't buy anything today. Wait for Black Friday.

Hope I helped! Have fun, and let us know what you go with and how well it works.
When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. (Proverbs 16:7)
angminas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
spiritofjerry

Awesome, thank you for your advice!
spiritofjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Insert_Nickname
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angminas View Post
Welcome!

A few pointers:

I haven't dealt with PCI video cards in several years, but any card you can get should free up some RAM if you can disable the onboard video. If you don't have enough RAM, that will provide a performance boost..but if you have plenty already, adding 64 won't be noticeable.

If you're willing to look at cheapo / used, you might find a small motherboard and a much more powerful PCI-Express card for not too much than you're looking at spending already. If that's overkill, it's overkill, but it's an option.

Wattage of your PSU is less important than amperage. It may be more or less powerful than you realize. Take a look at this: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

Don't buy anything today. Wait for Black Friday.

Hope I helped! Have fun, and let us know what you go with and how well it works.
Hrmmm... that's a though one...

One one hand if you add a PCI-card it will solve your immediate problem, but there isn't much future left in your system without PCIe. I kind of get the feeling that it would be wasted money. That PCI-card Magic Carpet linked to is very expensive for what it is...

I would seriously look into replacing your mainboard. For what you describe something E350/450-based should cover your needs. Unfortunately I am not American so I can't really tell you about pricing but you should look at these. Just add RAM and you have a fully fledged system as the CPU is already onboard. It also requires a valid Windows-licence so you can reinstall...
Insert_Nickname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8400, choices, core 2 duo, geforce, video card