Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > General Hardware

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
iTzHughie
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
Default Updated/Final $1500 Gaming PC build. Thoughts?

This is my final decision for the build. Special thanks goes out to forum members

1. DSF - Helped me understand how to tighten up my build
2. Toonation- Helping me decide on a case

Final build is as follows:

Case
NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-G1 Gunmetal Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Black Trim Computer Case

CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD (Non negotiable)'
OCed to around 4.2JiggaHertz


GPU
EVGA SuperClocked+ 02G-P4-2684-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Motherboard (OC Genie 2, easy overclock with one button on mobo)(blue)
MSI Z77A-GD65 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS


SSD (boot/media)
SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)


Optical Drive
SONY Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1681S-0B - OEM

PSU
NZXT HALE82-N NP-1BN-0650A-US 650W ATX 12V 2.3 and EPS 12V 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified

RAM (Blue to match mobo)
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model


CPU cooling (I don't like giant car engine air cooler blocks)
CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler


Extras
1080p 120hz monitor
x3 Coolermaster blue led fans 120mm.

Also if you can rate based on performance. (scale of 1-10)
(Once again, I'm not a pack rat with media, a 250gb SSD is more than enough for me)

Sorry for having 2 threads on the front page. Won't happen again. I just need to make the purchase TODAY.

Last edited by iTzHughie; 11-10-2012 at 04:00 PM.
iTzHughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
DSF
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 4,876
Default

-If you want to go with an Nvidia 6-series I would opt for the 670. 90-95% of the performance of the 680 with a significantly lower price tag. As was mentioned in your other thread, the 7950 is also a good high-end option. For that matter, I wouldn't go with an EVGA model that has a reference (read: louder) blower-style cooler. ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI all offer nice graphics cards with factory-upgraded cooling for the same or lower price.

- The Hale is fine, but there are PSUs that are just as good going for less money. With one modern graphics card your power requirements are pretty low. You could move to the 500W range without any issues. The power supply is one of those parts where it pays to check the current deals. The Seasonic M12II line, the PCP&C Silencer MkIII line, and the Corsair CX line are all currently priced at or below the Hale at the same wattage.

- I would just mention again the idea of manual overclocking. You will likely be able to feed the CPU less voltage if you do it manually than if you rely on the automatic feature. That means less heat and less stress on the chip.
DSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
aaksheytalwar
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,136
Default

650 watts is the perfect size. Don't go lower.

If amd is an option then go for 7970 ghz.
__________________
3770k @ 4.3 with H100i, Asus Z77 Deluxe, Samsung 30nm 4x4gb ddr3 @ 1866 9-9-9-28 1T, MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G, Coolermaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300 watts, Crucial M4 512gb, 3x Seagate 7200.14 3TB each
aaksheytalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
iTzHughie
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
Default

DSF your post is strongly noted. I changed to a more affordable PSU thanks.

I plan to go SLI in 3-4months. Should I increase my wattage to around 700? or would the 650w be enough for futuree SLI on GTX670s or 680s?

Keep in mind the 4.2JiggaHertz OC
iTzHughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
mfenn
Elite Member
Moderator
General Hardware
 
mfenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTzHughie View Post
DSF your post is strongly noted. I changed to a more affordable PSU thanks.

I plan to go SLI in 3-4months. Should I increase my wattage to around 700? or would the 650w be enough for futuree SLI on GTX670s or 680s?

Keep in mind the 4.2JiggaHertz OC
Why the hell did you delete your OP in the original thread and post a new one? Poor form.

I don't see your resolution mentioned. If it is 1080P 60Hz, then SLI doesn't matter because a good single card will be more than enough for the life of this machine. If it is higher, then you can very easily build a GTX 670 SLI machine for $1500 if you make the right parts choices.

Last edited by mfenn; 11-10-2012 at 03:44 PM.
mfenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
iTzHughie
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenn View Post
Why the hell did you delete your OP in the original thread and post a new one? Poor form.

I don't see your resolution mentioned. If it is 1080P 60Hz, then SLI doesn't matter because a good single card will be more than enough for the life of this machine. If it is higher, then you can very easily build a GTX 670 SLI machine for $1500 if you make the right parts choices.
Sorry about making a new thread.

My resolution would be 1080p 120hz. I think I read somewhere that in order to make use of the 120hz feature...I need a Dual link DVI cable, each link sending 60fps to the monitor totaling 120fps. for that smooth gameplay
If this is true, would it strain the GPU too much? Or do I need 2 cards to run on a 120hz monitor?
iTzHughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
mfenn
Elite Member
Moderator
General Hardware
 
mfenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTzHughie View Post
Sorry about making a new thread.

My resolution would be 1080p 120hz. I think I read somewhere that in order to make use of the 120hz feature...I need a Dual link DVI cable, each link sending 60fps to the monitor totaling 120fps. for that smooth gameplay
If this is true, would it strain the GPU too much? Or do I need 2 cards to run on a 120hz monitor?
Any modern GPU will have at least one dual-link DVI output, so you just need the appropriate cable. Refresh rate and framerate are also independent, so you don't need two GPUs to output at 120Hz.

That being said, you don't get any benefit from your 120Hz monitor if you are rendering at less than 60 FPS. A single GTX 670/680 (they are very close in performance, I wouldn't not buy a 680) will get you between 45-90 FPS depending on the game. You need SLI to be assured of rendering at above 60 FPS at all times.

I can work up a GTX 670 SLI build for you, but I'm not going to put in the effort if you aren't interested or aren't willing to change certain aspects of your current build.
mfenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
iTzHughie
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenn View Post
Any modern GPU will have at least one dual-link DVI output, so you just need the appropriate cable. Refresh rate and framerate are also independent, so you don't need two GPUs to output at 120Hz.

That being said, you don't get any benefit from your 120Hz monitor if you are rendering at less than 60 FPS. A single GTX 670/680 (they are very close in performance, I wouldn't not buy a 680) will get you between 45-90 FPS depending on the game. You need SLI to be assured of rendering at above 60 FPS at all times.

I can work up a GTX 670 SLI build for you, but I'm not going to put in the effort if you aren't interested or aren't willing to change certain aspects of your current build.
Strongly noted. I would also appreciate the 670 SLI build, so long as I don't have to change the NZXT case (I really like that one), and so long as its in the 1500$ ballpark. I am indeed willing to make adjustments if it means better GAMEPLAY first and foremost.
iTzHughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
mfenn
Elite Member
Moderator
General Hardware
 
mfenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTzHughie View Post
Strongly noted. I would also appreciate the 670 SLI build, so long as I don't have to change the NZXT case (I really like that one), and so long as its in the 1500$ ballpark. I am indeed willing to make adjustments if it means better GAMEPLAY first and foremost.
OK, that sounds good. The Phantom 410 is only $80 AR, so it should not be hard at all to work with.

i5 3570K + H60 combo $266
ASRock Z77 Extreme3 $120
G.Skill DDR3 1600 8GB $35
Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI $720 AR
Samsung 830 256GB $190
Lite-ON DVD Burner $18
Earthwatts EA-750 $70 AR
Phantom 410 $80 AR
Total: $1499 AR

Needless to say, this will curbstomp and single GTX 680 build in terms of gaming performance.
mfenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.