· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
Sixguns
Golden Member

Default Just got the verdict

I had my follow for my shoulder yesterday after my MRI last week and I dont have a torn labrum like the dr thought. What he says it is is the tendon that connects the bicep had frayed. This doesnt really make sense to me as to wear the pain has been in my shoulder area. Especially since I can have a slight pulling on my shoulder blade. I am kind of thinking of getting a second opinion. Either way, no more lifting and PT here I come. I really hope that this truly is the problem so I can get back to lifting soon. Anybody have something like this before?

Sixguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Zivic
Platinum Member

very common issue.. you injure it during bench press?

I haven't been in for an mri, but pretty sure I have at least strained both of my shoulders (bicep tendons).

My left side is 100% strength wise, my right side still has some pain, but that one I injured more recently. Just take it easy for a while and get back into it slowly. 6-8 wks is a rough estimate to be back to normal.
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Sixguns
Golden Member

Not sure if it was the bench for sure but it was on my chest day.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
SociallyChallenged
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixguns View Post
I had my follow for my shoulder yesterday after my MRI last week and I dont have a torn labrum like the dr thought. What he says it is is the tendon that connects the bicep had frayed. This doesnt really make sense to me as to wear the pain has been in my shoulder area. Especially since I can have a slight pulling on my shoulder blade. I am kind of thinking of getting a second opinion. Either way, no more lifting and PT here I come. I really hope that this truly is the problem so I can get back to lifting soon. Anybody have something like this before?
So where's the location of your pain? Are there multiple locations?
I am a doctor of physical therapy. Information I provide is based on subjective report alone. This frequently results in speculation and, as a result, may not always be accurate. Thus I am not liable for any action taken based on information provided.

Now offering physical therapy consultation services via Skype, e-mail, and phone. Please PM me for details.
SociallyChallenged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Ventanni

Tendon wear of the insertion of the biceps brachii? As a massage therapist (not a doctor), it's not uncommon for muscle pain to refer elsewhere. If the MRI shows the tendon wear, I'd be inclined to believe it.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Sixguns
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SociallyChallenged View Post
So where's the location of your pain? Are there multiple locations?
For the most part right on the front of my shoulder. Causes some random pain on my shoulder blade, only on certain movements, and ive noticed a dull pain going down my arm.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
SociallyChallenged
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventanni View Post
Tendon wear of the insertion of the biceps brachii? As a massage therapist (not a doctor), it's not uncommon for muscle pain to refer elsewhere. If the MRI shows the tendon wear, I'd be inclined to believe it.
Muscle pain in general doesn't really refer much. Trigger points in particular can, but not a whole lot in the shoulder (unless it involves the scalenes or something). Anterior shoulder pain tends to be anterior shoulder pain.

Proximal biceps tendon tear very frequently causes this, especially in acute injuries from throwing, benching, pressing, etc. You could do PT for it if it was a small tear or you'd have to get it surgically repaired.

I'm still looking to hear about where the pain is, what you're feeling, etc.
I am a doctor of physical therapy. Information I provide is based on subjective report alone. This frequently results in speculation and, as a result, may not always be accurate. Thus I am not liable for any action taken based on information provided.

Now offering physical therapy consultation services via Skype, e-mail, and phone. Please PM me for details.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Sixguns
Golden Member

Ill try to pinpoint it as best as I can.

The majority of the pain is right above the armpit. It has a constant burning. When I push with his arm it turns to a stabbing pain in the same area. The burning however isn't really noticeable unless my arm is really active. Now I haven't really been lifting in about a month and I have noticed that it really doesn't bother me with day to day things. However, when it first happened the whole shoulder, from neck down to pec, back to shoulder blade and about halfway to my elbow was on fire and would turn to a sharp stabbing when I moved my arm in any direction. Other things I have noticed are if swinging my arm behind me, it begins to feel like a tugging or pulling sensation in that same area.

I'm trying to think of what else I could tell you SC but not sure what else you could use.

I am going to see a PT next week as the ortho has told me to see one for 6-8 weeks.

Side note: The MRI showed that my rotator cuff was in excellent condition!

Old 11-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
SociallyChallenged
Elite

Quote:
Ill try to pinpoint it as best as I can.

The majority of the pain is right above the armpit. It has a constant burning. When I push with his arm it turns to a stabbing pain in the same area. The burning however isn't really noticeable unless my arm is really active. Now I haven't really been lifting in about a month and I have noticed that it really doesn't bother me with day to day things. However, when it first happened the whole shoulder, from neck down to pec, back to shoulder blade and about halfway to my elbow was on fire and would turn to a sharp stabbing when I moved my arm in any direction. Other things I have noticed are if swinging my arm behind me, it begins to feel like a tugging or pulling sensation in that same area.

I'm trying to think of what else I could tell you SC but not sure what else you could use.

I am going to see a PT next week as the ortho has told me to see one for 6-8 weeks.

Side note: The MRI showed that my rotator cuff was in excellent condition!
Any popping or clicking in the shoulder with pain?

What you're talking about could very feasibly be proximal biceps tendinopathy, like your doctor was talking about. It depends if he's talking about the tendon to the short head or long head of the biceps. The long head's tendon goes in front of the shoulder, but can definitely cause pain into the armpit due to swelling. Due to gravity, the fluid would flow down into the armpit region and make everything angry down there. The short head's tendon runs much more closely to the true armpit and that could directly cause your discomfort.

A partial tear is more likely to be managed with conservative care (PT) than surgery. If you've got poor shoulder posture/positioning, limited mobility in the shoulder, tight muscles, etc they will keep you in a position that facilitates pain and poor function. Improving those might allow you to return to sport, but with a more cautious outlook and progression pace.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
Sixguns
Golden Member

There is a lot of the popping but it doesnt cause any pain when it does.

Quote:
The long head's tendon goes in front of the shoulder
I believe he said it was this one.

Quote:
A partial tear is more likely to be managed with conservative care (PT) than surgery.
This is what he said, that it didnt look to bad and that PT should be all that I needed.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
In many torn labrum surgeries that bicep tendon has to be fixed as well.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
Sixguns
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
In many torn labrum surgeries that bicep tendon has to be fixed as well.

The good thing is he said I was no where near needing surgery. I am glad I stopped when I did and got checked.