· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #1276
Yreka
Diamond Member

Any good sites on character builds ? I googled briefly last night, but didn't find much past the GW2 wiki.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #1277
NoSoup4You
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreka View Post
Any good sites on character builds ? I googled briefly last night, but didn't find much past the GW2 wiki.
First one to come up on Google is pretty awesome - http://www.gw2build.com/builds/
16GB DDR3
Cooler Master Cosmos 1000
NoSoup4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #1278
Yreka
Diamond Member

Perfect! Thanks.. Dont know wtf I was looking at
Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #1279
zinfamous
No Lifer

guru is also a good source.

go to each class forum.
mentally he's such a klutz
his head is made of 50 butts
zinfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #1280
JamesV
Golden Member

I think a general build order applies, because no matter the class, you are working a combination of power/crit/toughness/healing/vit/whatever.

If you are taking hits, part of your build needs be vitality/toughness/healing. This applies to tanks in PVE, and everyone in spvp or wvw.

PVE, for the straight, quickest killing... crit/power rules. You gotta kite when you get 4+ mobs, but you burn them down quick. Condition dmg is nice in the 1500+ range, but slow overall compared to crit/power (over the course of an hour's time, the crit/power build will out-farm the condition build).

PVP, condition damage can rule or be totally useless. It all depends on your opponents build - if they are all power/crit, you can destroy them with conditions; if they are defensive with condition removal, you can be the easy kill for them.

I run completely different builds for pve, pvp, and wvw. PVE I focus on power/crit for fast killing. PVP I focus heavily on survival (vit/toughness/healing). WvW I focus on aoe and healing. Levelling? Power/crit build ftw (with any runspeed traits).
JamesV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #1281
WhipperSnapper
Lifer

With Amazon offering the game for $39 free shipping, I'm wondering if my rig could run it:

Win XP SP3
Socket 939 Opteron 185 dual core at 2.8 Ghz
3 GB RAM
8800GT
WhipperSnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #1282
GaiaHunter
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
With Amazon offering the game for $39 free shipping, I'm wondering if my rig could run it:

Win XP SP3
Socket 939 Opteron 185 dual core at 2.8 Ghz
3 GB RAM
8800GT

Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3 OR AMD Athlon 64 X2, or better
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI X1800, Intel HD 3000, or better (256 MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
25 GB available HDD space
Broadband Internet connection
Keyboard and mouse

Those are the minimums, so you should be able to run it.

Each player with an account created before 6 november will be able to refer 3 friends for a free trial for de 16-18th November weekend that will coincide with the release of a content patch and some events, so you might be able to snag one to try it (the raf keys will be available after 12th of november).
Old 11-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #1283
I4AT
Platinum Member

Anyone know what constitutes a "nearby" ally as far as range/radius? Specifically with level 6 rune procs.
I4AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #1284
zinfamous
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I4AT View Post
Anyone know what constitutes a "nearby" ally as far as range/radius? Specifically with level 6 rune procs.
well, I haven't spent any time in the PvP area in GW2...but if it's anything like GW1, there should be training dummies in the Mists with range circles around them that show you the difference between nearby, adjacent, etc...
Old 11-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #1285
GaiaHunter
Diamond Member

Quote:
For shouts, nearby range, is 600 radius.

Not sure if it is the same for other things.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #1286
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4You View Post
All classes can swing weapons and use skills without targeting an enemy, you're free to miss as much as you want. There are certain skills which require a target but those are few and far between and are usually reserved for stationary weapons. I'll also add that I have zero issue with the targeting system.

As for the trait skills, they make game-changing differences as you get to the later levels. Or at least that's the case for the Thief profession. I haven't really noticed this as much on my Guardian which seems to only have a handful of interesting trait skills.
Now that I started along the trait path it seems to be a little more interesting. And it's nice that there's different weapon skills depending on what hand you equip what weapon which makes life more interesting. Right now I'm doing double axe though so it doesn't matter much.

Despite all my grumbles it IS a fun game overall, I just focused on the nitpicks before. I'll be glad to progress to some other areas of the map as it's pretty dead where I am now. I think the biggest group I've been a part of taking something down has been 5 or so. I enjoy (for now) wandering around trying to get 100% on the map, figting everything along the way.
gorcorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #1287
Fallen Kell
Diamond Member

A tale of 2 groups... AC exp path 2:

So last night after getting our collective virtual butts handed to us fighting the ghosts before the final boss in path 2, I thought I would just discuss this. I think I died 12 or 13 times during that run (along with everyone else).

This is in stark contrast to the previous day where in just a group of 4 people, we completed the same path (and it wasn't even a group with 4 lvl 80's). We lost a person in our group at the very beginning (before the spider boss). I said, well lets just try and continue, I think we can at least make it to the ghosts fight before the final boss, and in the mean-time we can chat on our guild chat to see if we can get a 5th. We were a group of 2 lvl 80 guardians, 1 lvl 80 mesmer, and 1 lvl 46 mesmer. You know what, I know I didn't die a single time in my guardian, and I think we only lost 1 mesmer due to getting pounced by a champion groundling.
Fallen Kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #1288
zinfamous
No Lifer

yeah, it's weird. sometimes a group just trounces through those paths...other times, it's a huge struggle.

I don't do the dungeons as much as some do here, but the difference in what a team can do is quite stark. I think much of it has to do with joining teams primarily composed of level 35 or so people that clearly know what they are doing--meaning, they have much higher level toons, probably 80.

I have no idea why they don't just farm on their better toon. All it does is waste everyone else's time and it's at the point where I will refuse to join a pug that has such low levels.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #1289
aigomorla
Cases & Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous View Post
guru is also a good source.

go to each class forum.
i dont know.. ive been playing arround with builds on guru, yet people have no idea WTF they are talking about sometimes.

The good builds are kept secret, like my warrior build.
And my warrior makes dungeon runs turn from darkness to day..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous View Post
yeah, it's weird. sometimes a group just trounces through those paths...other times, it's a huge struggle.
nah it has to do with GEAR and lvl.
If you have low lvls with low lvl gear, the dungeon is gonna be difficult.
If you have geared lvl80's it becomes a walk in the park.

Anyhow i am sort of on break.
The puppy i have is practically owning me.

I will try to get on and do some activities, but the lack of people who want to group up is really depressing.

Its giving me more of an incentive to move somewhere else to another guild.
I have been given a lot of invitations from active guilds, if i do take one, i'll let u guys know, and see if i can get u guys an invite.

Anandtech Case and Cooling Moderator
Anandtech's Watercooling God err Mod.
aigomorla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #1290
Kyle
Diamond Member

I'm level 18 or 19 I think (warrior) - wasn't able to sign up on Stormbluff (full)...I've noticed really there's no social aspect that I've come across at least w/ the lower levels...I've not been in a single group or even chatted w/ another person yet- seems odd...but having fun regardless. I'm guessing w/ an active guild it'd be different.
As far as how I'm building my warrior- really no direction on what I'm choosing- I tried researching some builds and def. get a lot of conflicting info - though to be honest I haven't REALLY researched or looked that hard.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #1291
JamesV
Golden Member

Quote:
This has always been a major part of my elementalist (Hakuryu) build; the trait that gives allies buffs when I change elements.

Visually; I'd say it's around 15 feet from your character. Works just like an AOE, blocked by obstacles, but also seems to only affect so many allies. When I switch to fire in a group of 20+ people fighting a dragon, they all do not get might, but some of them do.

You have to be pretty close, which seems to be the exact range of my Rune of Superior Hydromancy I use in PVP. About 15 feet. You can test exactly how far it is though ... put the rune you want on something in the Heart of the Mists, go find a target dummy and try it out.
JamesV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #1292
sushicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
As far as how I'm building my warrior- really no direction on what I'm choosing- I tried researching some builds and def. get a lot of conflicting info - though to be honest I haven't REALLY researched or looked that hard.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQFAR...BAThiOKgiJVh2A

barebone lvling build for greatsword - 10 in Arms first for Deepstrike, then 10 in either Strength or Discipline for the full adrenaline bonus, soon as you hit lvl 40 put another 10 in Arms for cooldown reduction and Might on crit; use 4 to pull, 3 or 5 for gap closer, group the mobs up and hit Hundred Blades, 3 again to escape if things get too hairy, don't need to activate the Burst Skill or signets so you retain the passive bonuses; also pick up either rifle or bow works as secondary weapon for melee unfriendly situations.

As much as I hate cookiecutter specs it is however the most effective, warrior was my 3rd or 4th character but ended up being the 1st to 80 simply because how quickly greatsword obliterated things, other weapons don't come close until much higher levels. Once you start grouping up for dungeons I'd suggest points in either Defense for sustainability and/or Tactics for group support w/ shouts or banners.

edit: slot a sigil or Fire/Air/Strength in your greatsword if possible, it'll proc like crazy.
edit: also buy/make food whenever you can, they're dirt cheap and provide amazing bonuses.

Last edited by sushicide; 11-10-2012 at 03:48 PM.
sushicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #1293
Kyle
Diamond Member

awesome- thanks. I've already been putting points mainly in to Str I believe and maybe a couple in defense- I'll take a closer look later today. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #1294
NoSoup4You
Golden Member

Some tips I thought I'd mention -

You can buy your first skill book (usable at level 11) from the Trading Post for half the cost of the NPC's book. There are literally thousands of books available so definitely take advantage of this on any alts...etc. Unfortunately the second and third tier books cost more on the TP than from the NPC.

You can respec all of your trait points at any time for a cost of only a couple silver, just talk to the NPC trainer and select the second option. So there's really no excuse for not retraiting for the specific situation you're heading into (WvW, Dungeon, regular questing...).

The last tip is for WvW and sPvP, you can blind a downed player to prevent their interrupt skill from hitting you. This lets you stomp them quickly and is also a little troll-worthy since people will assume the game glitched.
16GB DDR3
Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #1295
zinfamous
No Lifer

BTW--I posted an update to the guild message:

We will be kicking a lot of the long-standing inactives within a day or two. If you feel you have been kicked unjustly, please appeal here.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #1296
Yreka
Diamond Member

Got my ele to around 25. Traits mostly in fire and air, and +pwr +crit gear, but he is a little sqishy, might change some of the gear around to get more toughness/vit.

Guardian is cool, he is around 20, but he has no ranged ability ? I see he cant use bows, guns etc.. Kinda sucks grouping with a hunter and they kill everything before I can "tag" it.

Also switched back to a US server, as the EU one was dead ( even in their prime playing hours).. Having an active population in zones certainly makes things more entertaining / immersive
Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #1297
NoSoup4You
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreka View Post
Guardian is cool, he is around 20, but he has no ranged ability ? I see he cant use bows, guns etc.. Kinda sucks grouping with a hunter and they kill everything before I can "tag" it.
Staff, Scepter, Greatsword, or Sword. These are all either ranged or have great gap closer abilities.

I have a very low level Ranger alt and I have to agree though that the range is actually really nice on those bows. Solid damage too.
16GB DDR3
Old 11-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #1298
darkewaffle
Diamond Member

Oh boy, Ascendent gear.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #1299
zinfamous
No Lifer

Ascended is currently only for trinkets and backslots, so dungeon and lvl 80 exotic armor sets are still the best around**

That allays many of my concerns at the moment**

Exotic tier jewelry seems to be the least******"necessary" for survival and success** This adds another tier that makes the jump from master/rare to the highest tier that much more desirable, so I'm gonna look at this as a wel***e addition**

as for infusion******hmm** This is like the "end-game" content in GW1, where you needed to ***plete a quest to infuse your armor set so that it could withstand the Mursaat, which were the main baddies in that campaign** If you didn't have it, they would melt you in about 2 seconds with Spectral Agony and there was nothing you could do about it** The new enemy skill seems to be a push towards that**

I'm guessing this is localized towards the new high level map(s)** I haven't read much into it, but adding this skill to current risen and bosses would be a major fail, imo**

New maps******that's what this game really needs** A handful of level 80 PvE maps and sPvP make sense** Dungeons******not sure it's really needed to be honest, outside it being tied to Infusion and new campaign content**

Also******people should bear in mind that this update is ***pletely FREE**

Last edited by zinfamous; 11-13-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #1300
I4AT
Platinum Member

I'd like to see the engineer get a slight buff to allow weapon stats to stick when using a kit. If you wanna use a flamethrower, elixir gun, bombs, or grenades you lose a major portion of your stat bonuses from your weapon. I understand why sigils don't proc while using a kit, but to lose your stats doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me as the kits aren't more powerful than the weapons, they just offer a different style of play.
I4AT is offline   Reply With Quote