· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #76
KompuKare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
I thought it was the solder that failed to withstand the temperature variants and became fractured? What that has to do with Nvidia GPU itself, I don't know.
I still run a Dell Vostro 1500 everyday. Has a 8600M. Maybe a different batch of solder? Maybe I have the only working sample on the planet? Dunno.
I doubt that, there are plenty of that era chips (mobile / dekstop / chipset) still working. I also think there is an element of luck involved.

But what Blasting said is exactly my main gripe (aside from not being illegible for any settlement in the UK): Nvidia never really came clean and said 'these parts are affected, these parts are not' instead we had to rely on everyone's favourite tabloid journalist and his list. Charlie of course quickly jumped to the conclusion that all parts from that period were affected but that's possibly as unreliable as Nvidia basically saying nothing.

Contrast that with Intel's response to - for instance - the SB chipset issue. I may not like the fact that Intel is heading to being the only choice in x86 CPUs but I cannot find any fault with how they treat their customers when problems arise. That's the way it's meant to be done: would all other companies please take note!
KompuKare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:04 AM   #77
Keysplayr
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KompuKare View Post
I doubt that, there are plenty of that era chips (mobile / dekstop / chipset) still working. I also think there is an element of luck involved.

But what Blasting said is exactly my main gripe (aside from not being illegible for any settlement in the UK): Nvidia never really came clean and said 'these parts are affected, these parts are not' instead we had to rely on everyone's favourite tabloid journalist and his list. Charlie of course quickly jumped to the conclusion that all parts from that period were affected but that's possibly as unreliable as Nvidia basically saying nothing.

Contrast that with Intel's response to - for instance - the SB chipset issue. I may not like the fact that Intel is heading to being the only choice in x86 CPUs but I cannot find any fault with how they treat their customers when problems arise. That's the way it's meant to be done: would all other companies please take note!
You saying that you would never purchase a laptop with Nvidia chips because of defects in the past, is a lot like someone saying they wouldn't buy an AMD card because their drivers are historically poor. Just saying.

i5 2500K Asus P-Z68-V/Gen3 Titan Black SLI
Keysplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #78
SlowSpyder
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonbjerg View Post
Not really...you still stick in the past...should I whine over quack.exe still?

Here's what you're missing, I said that Nvidia had some big problems in the past in the mobile space. Despite that, they are doing fantastic now, obviously that bump in the road didn't hurt their image or seem to have any effect on their relationships with laptop makers. But you're so defensive about anything Nvidia that you're missing the message.
SlowSpyder is online now   Reply With Quote