· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Shephard

Default Gmail hacked?

I just got this message in my Gmail.

Quote:
Someone recently tried to use an application to sign in to your Google Account, xxxx@gmail.com. We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:
Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:06:05 AM GMT
IP Address: 60.168.127.247

If you do not recognize this sign-in attempt, someone else might be trying to access your account. You should sign in to your account and reset your password immediately. Find out how at http://support.google.com/accounts?p=reset_pw
If this was you, and you want to give this application access to your account, complete the troubleshooting steps listed at http://support.google.com/mail?p=client_login
Sincerely,
The Google Accounts Team

There was also a red banner atop my gmail.

So does this mean the person just tried accessing my account, or did they actually get my password and get as far as logging in before being blocked?

I changed my password. I also ran full virus scan and full malwarebytes scan but found nothing.

I am more worried about my banking information which I logged on today.

I've never been hacked so I am wondering if they actually got in my account or just were trying to access it with random passwords.
Shephard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
paul878

I use a VM to do all my banking, and only doing banking with that VM.
paul878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
Shephard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul878 View Post
I use a VM to do all my banking, and only doing banking with that VM.
how do I do that?
Old 11-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
jolancer

I think Gmail Blocked the login attempt because if they were succesful they wouldn't have known and would not have notified you... I also think(this is also assuming your comp isnt infected with anything?) its probably likely they got your email either through a response from spam? or a friends infected computer that has your email listed in there contacts could of gave it to them. I dont think they can get it directly from your browser screen unless your computer is infected.

I personally dont bother wiith antivirus stuff anymore, i just create a Backup Image at the time of install, and just Restore from my custom install image if i have any issues. But back in the day the best way to check use to be 'Hijackthis' i dont know if it still is

I think pauls refering to VMware Player for example... which runs an Operating system within your current Operating system from a ISO image file. Usually used for Testing like RND for software compatability, or if you dont need the OS permanent or Convienynce like running Linux or OSX within Windows or viseversa. IMO its like the same affect of using a Live Linux distro with internet access, eitherway VM or a Live distro are both ran completely from RAM they store no permanent memory... That actually sound like a good idea for those who dont have "internet common sense", what i mean by that is like - Not clicking on links or opening attachments from strangers spam, etc. and using a decent secure browser like Firefox for example preferable with Adblock and NoScript. But if you do have internet common sense, ATM i dont see how VM wouldnt be Overkill, unless someone could elaborate for me?
jolancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
Shephard

Ok well I have never been hacked. I think common sense is the most thing to avoid someone stealing your passwords, better than any anti-virus. never got my passwords stolen before.

so you think they just got my email and were trying to enter random passwords? they probably got the captcha gmail blocked for too many incorrect attempts. then gmail saw they were in China and notified me?

I don't know anything about vmware player. is it different than sandboxie which you can test .exe file to see if they have virus? drag to the sandbox and see if anything else opens besides the .exe?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
fjmeat
Diamond Member

OP I had this same message last week. I changed password immediately and everything is okay.
fjmeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
PowerYoga
Diamond Member

enable 2 step verification. It's a pain in the ass but pretty much prevents logins from machines other than the known IPs.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Shephard

Ya so far I have not gotten any other attempts. Very strange.

Isn't 2 step verification required for a phone. I don't got a home, but a cell phone. If I use my cell phone and it got lost I could be screwed!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Vinwiesel

I lost one of my junk accounts that way. I got the gmail notification just like yours that an IP address in china was attempting to access my account. It's good that you changed your password, because I didn't and the next time I tried to login Google had locked the account. Since I didn't have a phone-number attached to the account, there was no way to recover, it is just permanently locked.

This is the only account that I have ever had hacked, and I'm pretty sure it is because this was my craigslist junk account, and I used the same login and password for both.
Vinwiesel is offline   Reply With Quote