· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #101
alkemyst
No Lifer

Here's the deal with audio. Many are paying for things they can't hear, but can be measured. There is a passion that goes into it.

First, many can't hear beyond 18k once out of their teens and 15k by the time they can afford many of these things unless lucky in life. Yet they all still want sub-sonics and 20k+ frequency responses, even in their cars which will trump perfect audio with their own noises short of six-figure luxury bubbles.

In my 20's I hung around with a bunch of audiophiles. One of our richest members bought things like $100k turn tables and he'd upgrade them in months to the next big thing.

My current Klipsch setup came from him in my first divorce when I had to sell off my $20k Definitive Technology/Rotel/Marantz/Mitsubishi setup.

I paid him $800 in 1997 (maybe 1998) for a Yamaha RX-V1050, PSB Alpha surrounds, Klipsch Quartets and a Klipsch Academy. I added a Yamaha CCD-665 changer I still own. I sold the PSB's and Academy when I moved into an apartment (I later re-bought an Academy at 3+ times what I sold mine for 10 year earlier). I sold the 1050 for a Yamaha HTR-5960. My new surrounds are Klipsch RS25's that were mainly for wife factor in nice white cabinets.

I am really happy with the setup today. I have added upgraded X-overs and diaphrams to my Klipschs.

I will be single soon since I am divorcing now, so I am sure my 'man cave' will evolve as I turn to having house parties and get-togethers.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #102
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
^ He's got more higher end stuff that unfortunately I can't afford... I would have to apply for a loan for that. Ones ranging from $1000~ $2400 I can deal with.
You talking about alky or his rich friend?
http://primaryaccounting.ca
Old 11-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #103
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifox View Post
You talking about alky or his rich friend?
I'd say my friend. I just laid out I paid $800 for the system (plus the additions) and $1000-2000 would cover most of it.

This is in 1990's money: My friend at the time was just over 20 (he was younger than me at the time). Lived in a $2 Million dollar home, had probably the same amount of cars, maybe the same amount in watches and jewelry, all major clothing and shoes, dedicated audio in every room.

Trust funds from rich parents FTMFW.

When I bought my setup that was his worst room.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #104
AudioTruth

The reviewer has sent the cables back today.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #105
uhohs
Diamond Member

you should take some sexy shots of you opening up the packages and posing with the cables.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #106
SyndromeOCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohs View Post
you should take some sexy shots of you opening up the packages and posing with the cables.
Time to break out the Hello Kitty back drop.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #107
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohs View Post
I have gained 50 lbs of fat since my Judge power cable pictures, should I take the pictures anyway?
Old 11-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #108
styrafoam
Platinum Member

Do people really do this? http://www.coconut-audio.com/discontinued.htm Stick lumps of plasticine on their electronics? If they sell for that much I think i can compete price wise, but i don't know if i can keep up on the clip art front.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #109
Fardringle
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrafoam View Post
Do people really do this? http://www.coconut-audio.com/discontinued.htm Stick lumps of plasticine on their electronics? If they sell for that much I think i can compete price wise, but i don't know if i can keep up on the clip art front.
Didn't you know that you can actually use gravity to "suck" the static out of an electrical current? The laws of physics don't apply when dealing with super expensive audio equipment so you can do that type of thing even if it's actually impossible in this universe.
"Greendale is a bodaciously small town, Lane... I can't even Find-A-Drug here!" - Charles De Mar (Better Off Dead)
"I did not have BOINC relations with that woman, Rosetta@Home!" - Bill Clinton
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #110
rommelrommel
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
Here's the deal with audio. Many are paying for things they can't hear, but can be measured. There is a passion that goes into it.
What about people paying for things that can't be measured or heard?

I may spring for some of these awesome USB cables tho:

http://www.coconut-audio.com/rattlesnake/computer.htm
Old 11-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #111
rommelrommel
Golden Member

This one made me LOL...

http://www.coconut-audio.com/trade.htm

"Trade-in any gear
Our storage room is currently OPEN
You can trade-in your used gear to us and get a full 100% retail value for them. We accept anything audio related like amps, DACs, headphones, cables, music CDs etc. It doesn't matter how much you bought them for, you will still get 100% when trading them in.

This trade-in only applies to our "Original prices" and not for any new prices, introductory offers, or used products.

Example: You own a $25,000 DAC. You can trade it for our White Night power cable ($25,000). You only pay the shipping cost both ways. You can also trade that DAC for 3 pieces of HyperSpace 4m power cables (3x $7,995)."

Yes, will you please take my 25k DAC and give me some Plasticine back...
Old 11-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #112
sdifox
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioTruth View Post
I have gained 50 lbs of fat since my Judge power cable pictures, should I take the pictures anyway?
50 lb on a stick just makes you normal sized. Unless it's all in your head, then you would be a matchstick man.
http://primaryaccounting.ca
Old 11-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #113
Fardringle
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
What about people paying for things that can't be measured or heard?

I may spring for some of these awesome USB cables tho:

http://www.coconut-audio.com/rattlesnake/computer.htm
Actually, that White Beach USB cable just might be worth the $1500 price tag...IF the girls in the picture come with it...
"Greendale is a bodaciously small town, Lane... I can't even Find-A-Drug here!" - Charles De Mar (Better Off Dead)
Old 11-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #114
Paul98
Platinum Member

LMAO powercables...
Old 11-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #115
Number1
Diamond Member

Thumbs down

I found the same thread at Electric Audio words for words.

Same user name.

Spam, no doubts now.
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Old 11-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #116
styrafoam
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1 View Post

Same user name.

Spam, no doubts now.
Bahaha they went right after him too, funny to watch them completely unload on him. Thanks for posting Audio Truth! Randomly weird stuff like this doesn't make it out to the internet at large near as much as it did 10 years ago, we owe you one.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #117
Number1
Diamond Member

Cheez, read this and tel me again how your thousand dollar cable makes a difference.

Audiophile Deathmatch: Monster Cables vs. a Coat Hanger
Gizmodo

Patrick82 on youtube

Picture of the cable.
$80K is peanuts, he has one on sale for $200K

Demented to say the least. I find it hard to believe people would actually fall for this and spend the money. Fascinating.
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Old 11-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #118
Number1
Diamond Member

Unbelievable

Hi-Fi justice
Old 11-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #119
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrafoam View Post
Yes, because it improves the sound. Hundreds of tweaks have been sold in the past year.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #120
nsafreak
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yes, because it improves the sound. Hundreds of tweaks have been sold in the past year.
Can I have your customer list? I have some plasticine and coat hangars <cough> errr.....<cough> high end audio interconnect cables that they might be interested in.

Server: i5 2500K, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, 8GB Crucial DDR3-1600, OCZ Agility 3 128GB SSD, 3x Seagate 1.5TB HDD (RAID 5 array), Seagate 1TB HDD, Corsair CX600, Antec 300
Old 11-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #121
Fardringle
Diamond Member

Quote:
You have tweaked (i.e. scammed) hundreds of people this year? Is that really something you want to post in a public forum?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #122
Pacfanweb
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardringle View Post
You have tweaked (i.e. scammed) hundreds of people this year? Is that really something you want to post in a public forum?
He's clearly a troll. Nobody can possibly be this dumb. I'm ashamed that I even gave such an obvious troll any attention.

"One of the reasons I left Sabbath is Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." Ozzy
Old 11-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #123
AudioTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
He's clearly a troll. Nobody can possibly be this dumb. I'm ashamed that I even gave such an obvious troll any attention.
No, not troll. When using logical thinking you will find the truth about my products. Why would anyone spend a decade tweaking something that gives no difference in sound? Day after day. It's easy to call others dumb when the truth is too difficult to comprehend.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #124
skriefal
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1 View Post

Same user name.

Spam, no doubts now.
There was also a thread at the Canuck Audio Mart forums, but it appears to have been deleted. The spam is generating a lot of free advertising. If even one person reading this is dumb enough to think "hmm... what if..." and then buy an $80K (or $8K or whatever) power cable -- or a $2K blob of melted metal that magically grounds your equipment (without being grounded) -- it's more money in his pocket.

Stop feeding the troll. All of us.

Last edited by skriefal; 11-12-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #125
Deders

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post

Best advice indeed.
It's the ears, not stupid equipments to measure.. the sonic signatures can't be measured. The ears can.

Framerates on video games can be measured, but sonic signatures can't. Only the ears can conduct this.
What about with a decent microphone and spectral or harmonic analyser?
Closed Thread

Tags
magazine, ransom, scam, stereo, times