· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #4276
mple

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkcom View Post
I've discovered that it's pretty easy to overpower yourself with Alchemy and Enchanting, without exploits.
I don't even think you need alchemy. Enchanting and Smithing alone can make the game a breeze on the hardest setting. Skyrim really should be experienced with limitations set in place.
mple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #4277
Atomic Playboy
Lifer

Alchemy is the single easiest way to make money. You find ingredients absolutely everywhere, and if you sit down and spend a few minutes putting together potions, you can end up with 100,000+ gold worth of potions in no time. It's a little bit ridiculous, honestly. Enchanting / smithing is great for creating superior gear for yourself, but it doesn't hold a candle to alchemy for an endless revenue stream. Granted, you'll spend the equivalent of 25 years fast-traveling around between merchants to sell everything off, but still.
Atomic Playboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #4278
Face2Face
Diamond Member

I went back to the Soul Cairn to fight the reaper last night. He looks pretty awesome. He has quite a bit of health, he just doesn't seem to hit very hard. Not sure why Bethesda will make a high level Ice mage tougher than a Boss? Anyway here are some pics.

Oh yeah, I got tired of the ENB so I removed it. I like the Vanilla lighting better now.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #4279
dennilfloss
Past Lifer
1957-2014
In Memoriam

Something beautiful just happened.

My pet dragon tossed a named dragon, Vulthuryol in Blackreach. I had to exit the game, start FRAPs and reload that sequence 4 times for the finishing move to re-appear but I got it recorded in the end. Unfortunately, my video converter changes the vertical resolution from 1200 to 1080 but I don't think it shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GezlrE9Hjs

Desktop: Phenom II 955BE, M4A79-T DeLuxe, ASUS PA246Q 1900x1200 24" P-IPS monitor, 2 GB HIS IceQ X Turbo 7850, Corsair TX750M PSU, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 HP 64. Laptop: Dell XPS 17 L702x, i7-2760QM, 8GB RAM, 1080p, GT 555M 3GB
dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #4280
Madia

Some more details about Dragonborn and additional screenshots were released over at IGN today. (Sorry, it won't let me link)

It's confirmed that you're returning to the continent of Morrowind. I'm excited to see a change in location and have high hopes for this DLC. I just wish they'd release it on the pc at the same time as the xbox 360.

Last edited by Madia; 11-15-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Link is blocked
Madia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #4281
Face2Face
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
Something beautiful just happened.

My pet dragon tossed a named dragon, Vulthuryol in Blackreach. I had to exit the game, start FRAPs and reload that sequence 4 times for the finishing move to re-appear but I got it recorded in the end. Unfortunately, my video converter changes the vertical resolution from 1200 to 1080 but I don't think it shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GezlrE9Hjs
Badass! I love blackreach too!!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #4282
Bateluer
Lifer

Does anyone have a working fix for Skryim's CTDs? I can't continue the game's main quest because it crashes every time I attempt to speak to the Greybeards for the first time. And I can't roll a new character because the game crashes during the intro when the dragon first appears.

Doesn't matter whether I have any mods installed or not, same crap. Every single time.

i5 SnB, 8GB DDR3, Radeon 6950 2GB, Cat 12.10s.
Bateluer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #4283
Atomic Playboy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
Does anyone have a working fix for Skryim's CTDs? I can't continue the game's main quest because it crashes every time I attempt to speak to the Greybeards for the first time. And I can't roll a new character because the game crashes during the intro when the dragon first appears.

Doesn't matter whether I have any mods installed or not, same crap. Every single time.

i5 SnB, 8GB DDR3, Radeon 6950 2GB, Cat 12.10s.
Have you tried reinstalling the game? Could be some leftover file from a mod that is causing the issue. Maybe verify the game cache with Steam and see if the CTDs keep happening. If so, backup your savegames and completely uninstall/delete everything, then redownload it and run it without mods to verify that the main game files work.
Atomic Playboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #4284
Markbnj
Programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2Face View Post
Badass! I love blackreach too!!
Yeah, Blackreach is awesome. When I first stumbled down there I was amazed. Never did explore all of it.

Some meaningless scribbling of no account

The 4th Realm

Arts and Letters Daily - Get some culture
Markbnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #4285
AlexAL

Silly Q, but I have to ask. What is better, Skyrim, Kingdom of Alamur, or Two Worlds 2? I just got Two Worlds 2, and I feel the first two games might also get some good sales soon. Love these kinds of games.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #4286
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Playboy View Post
Have you tried reinstalling the game? Could be some leftover file from a mod that is causing the issue. Maybe verify the game cache with Steam and see if the CTDs keep happening. If so, backup your savegames and completely uninstall/delete everything, then redownload it and run it without mods to verify that the main game files work.
Did a full uninstall and reinstall, but it kept all the plugins. Game looks like ass without the texture mods though.
Bateluer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #4287
crunkzilla

Has anyone experienced this bug? My character on screen looks like he is crouching all the time. I can no longer sprint or sneak around. I tried remapping the crouch key toggle on both xbox 360 controller and keyboard but still wont come out of crouch.
crunkzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #4288
pashbe1

Heres a question for the seriouse RPG minded Skyrim aficionados. I'm on my second toon since the first one got permanently bugged, and have about 100 hours on each one with both being about level 35. The only part of the central story that I have done is talk to the Graybeards, and I haven't joined either the Stormcloaks or the Imperials.

Here is my dilema. I don't want to choose sides in a civil war. I am the Dragonborn, my purpose is above this fratracide. While I see the why each side feels the way it does, as a Nord, I am not going to help one brother kill another. How much of the game am I losing by not picking a side? If I have to choose, make a case for which side?

Yeah, its just a game, but it is more fun with an emotional commitment. It's the old school pnp gamer in me that refuses to die.
pashbe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #4289
Scooby Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashbe1 View Post
Heres a question for the seriouse RPG minded Skyrim aficionados. I'm on my second toon since the first one got permanently bugged, and have about 100 hours on each one with both being about level 35. The only part of the central story that I have done is talk to the Graybeards, and I haven't joined either the Stormcloaks or the Imperials.

Here is my dilema. I don't want to choose sides in a civil war. I am the Dragonborn, my purpose is above this fratracide. While I see the why each side feels the way it does, as a Nord, I am not going to help one brother kill another. How much of the game am I losing by not picking a side? If I have to choose, make a case for which side?

Yeah, its just a game, but it is more fun with an emotional commitment. It's the old school pnp gamer in me that refuses to die.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't mod it so you don't have to (kinda the reverse for joining just one great house in morrowind to joining them all)
Corsair HX750
Cheappie Nvidia 610 :-(
Antec 902
Scooby Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #4290
zinfamous
No Lifer

Quote:

It is really like any of the other extended side quests--generally unnecessary. However it does lead to some rather "cosmetic" changes in the game world but overall, it is sort of a null reaction as your ability to do one thing over the other (quests, unique items) doesn't change.

I only started the civil war well after I had finished the main questline. I was absurdly overpowered, so doing any of those missions was just way too easy. (Storming a castle? OK...how about I bring along my dragon friend at the front of our army--admittedly, that was quite thrilling to watch)

But for your sake, you probably will miss out on the satisfaction or shame of the results dependent the side you pick. Actually, when I first started playing, my impression of the sides changed drastically. Through much conversation and engaging in the various storylines, it became clear to me which group was best for the people of Skyrim, so I had no trouble choosing them.
mentally he's such a klutz
his head is made of 50 butts
zinfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #4291
zinfamous
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAL View Post
Silly Q, but I have to ask. What is better, Skyrim, Kingdom of Alamur, or Two Worlds 2? I just got Two Worlds 2, and I feel the first two games might also get some good sales soon. Love these kinds of games.
haven't played TW 2, but Skyrim is far superior to Amalur. Amalur is fun for a while, but I eventually got burned out and never finished it--probably never will. It has some interesting mechanics to the class building system and combat that is fun--at first. The combat does get stale and repetitive, though. The voice acting is actually pretty good in Amalur, but the game is just too cartoonish and "zony" for my tastes now.

To me, nothing can really compare to TES games for immersion and outright satisfaction. I used to hate them because I felt too bogged down and distracted by all the quests, but then realized that is the point. I don't have to do everything, and I really shouldn't. But if I want to get distracted and make my own way in the world, then I very well can do that, and I generally lose nothing for it.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #4292
Martimus
Diamond Member

I know what you mean by being bogged down. I have 150+ hours in, and I have never been to Dawnstar, Falkreath, or Morthal, and I just went to Riften for the first time.
System: Intel i7-2600K, Corsair H60 CPU Heatsink, ASROCK P67 Extreme4, HIS HD6970, HAF-X Case, Seasonic X760 PSU, Crucial C300 128GB SSD, Western Digital Black 2TB HD, 12X LG BluRay burner, HP ZR24w 24" Monitor, 16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill 1600 DDR3 RAM (1.5V, CAS 9), Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)
Martimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #4293
Madia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous View Post
haven't played TW 2, but Skyrim is far superior to Amalur. Amalur is fun for a while, but I eventually got burned out and never finished it--probably never will. It has some interesting mechanics to the class building system and combat that is fun--at first. The combat does get stale and repetitive, though. The voice acting is actually pretty good in Amalur, but the game is just too cartoonish and "zony" for my tastes now.
I agree. I bought Alamur on sale a while back and put in maybe 20 hours or so but it just didn't hold my interest. It's a decent game but after a while I just rather play something else. It's biggest plus is the combat which is fun but I never got into the story. It's probably worth a try if you see it for something like $5 or $7.50 but don't be surpised if it doesn't hold your interest until the end.

Skyrim is a great game, well worth the full retail price. I'd highly recommend picking it up especially with the upcoming holiday sales.

Also I have to mention the Witcher 2. If you haven't checked it out yet I highly recommend it. It's one of the best rpg's ever but it's also a very adult title and really earns it's mature rating. It's very difficult at first but gets easier later in the game. About 2/5 through the game you make a choice between two very different paths so there's also a good amount of replay. The first Witcher is a polarizing game with people either loving or hating it. You can skip it without missing out on anything.
Madia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #4294
pashbe1

Talking Actually I know my enemy of choice

Quote:
It is really like any of the other extended side quests--generally unnecessary. However it does lead to some rather "cosmetic" changes in the game world but overall, it is sort of a null reaction as your ability to do one thing over the other (quests, unique items) doesn't change.

I only started the civil war well after I had finished the main questline. I was absurdly overpowered, so doing any of those missions was just way too easy. (Storming a castle? OK...how about I bring along my dragon friend at the front of our army--admittedly, that was quite thrilling to watch)

But for your sake, you probably will miss out on the satisfaction or shame of the results dependent the side you pick. Actually, when I first started playing, my impression of the sides changed drastically. Through much conversation and engaging in the various storylines, it became clear to me which group was best for the people of Skyrim, so I had no trouble choosing them.
And they is the Thalmor. But what you say about a side becoming apparent from the interactions makes sense. So far I have only heard tales of woe from both sides. I will follow this path and wait for the right choice to become apparent. Thx!
pashbe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #4295
zinfamous
No Lifer

Quote:
And they is the Thalmor. But what you say about a side becoming apparent from the interactions makes sense. So far I have only heard tales of woe from both sides. I will follow this path and wait for the right choice to become apparent. Thx!
Oh yes--I would murder any and every Thalmor that walked near me, and I wouldn't be shy of nearby NPC's knowing about it, much less care how they reacted.

And that is how I chose:

what's his name--the excellently voiced Jarl up in, what's it called..the Nord purist, anyway. the one that is captured at the very beginning of the game. your fellow prisoner. that guy. He's a total patsy of the Thalmor. The only way to truly rid Skyrim of the Thalmor is to ally with the Empire, the way I see it. That, and all he wants to do is consolidate power to himself, not for the people of Skyrim.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #4296
Face2Face
Diamond Member

Quote:
Oh yes--I would murder any and every Thalmor that walked near me, and I wouldn't be shy of nearby NPC's knowing about it, much less care how they reacted.

And that is how I chose:

what's his name--the excellently voiced Jarl up in, what's it called..the Nord purist, anyway. the one that is captured at the very beginning of the game. your fellow prisoner. that guy. He's a total patsy of the Thalmor. The only way to truly rid Skyrim of the Thalmor is to ally with the Empire, the way I see it. That, and all he wants to do is consolidate power to himself, not for the people of Skyrim.
You should travel to the Thalmor Embassy. Turn up the difficulty to Master and raid the Embassy. You might, just might get your butt kicked..?

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/...cation.bmp.png

Last edited by Face2Face; 11-20-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Face2Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #4297
lkailburn

Uh oh. I'm getting weird graphical glitches in the night sky. Like parts of the sky will just flash a random solid color. Just blips. Rebooted the compuer no change.

Haven't made any changes to skyrim in some time.

Played a few minutes of another game and didn't notice any graphics issues so might be something within skyrim gone funky
lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #4298
NoSoup4You
Golden Member

I have over 115 hours in Skyrim and the only cities I've been to are Whiterun, Windhelm, and Markarth. I'm not very far into the main storyline, though I did get far enough to learn all three parts of the Fus-ro-dah I stopped almost immediately after that.

That's just my preference, I was the same way in Oblivion...etc. The problem is, despite how much I like Skyrim, it's a game that simply didn't hold my interest nearly as much as Oblivion and I think it boils down to the complete lack of difficulty. You might say, well there are mods for that and I did download some of them, but I never found one I felt was acceptable. There was a good dragon balance mod though, I did use that. It made dragons devastating, capable of wiping out 20-30 guards...etc. But not overwhelmingly so. It also gave them much stronger resistances to magic...etc. Great stuff.

But the game in general... it was such a cakewalk that I grew bored. Immersion can only take you so far when there's no challenge. Maybe it was my playstyle, a mace + shield, heavy armor warrior... I just crushed everything in my path after maybe level 15 onward.

Maybe there's an OOO for Skyrim or some type of equivalent. I haven't checked... but I know I could totally get back into it if there was. Some balance mod universally accepted as awesome...etc.
16GB DDR3
Cooler Master Cosmos 1000
NoSoup4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #4299
Face2Face
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
Uh oh. I'm getting weird graphical glitches in the night sky. Like parts of the sky will just flash a random solid color. Just blips. Rebooted the compuer no change.

Haven't made any changes to skyrim in some time.

Played a few minutes of another game and didn't notice any graphics issues so might be something within skyrim gone funky
Mine does it too. It's not a huge deal - Remember it buggy Skyrim.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #4300
Face2Face
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4You View Post
I have over 115 hours in Skyrim and the only cities I've been to are Whiterun, Windhelm, and Markarth. I'm not very far into the main storyline, though I did get far enough to learn all three parts of the Fus-ro-dah I stopped almost immediately after that.

That's just my preference, I was the same way in Oblivion...etc. The problem is, despite how much I like Skyrim, it's a game that simply didn't hold my interest nearly as much as Oblivion and I think it boils down to the complete lack of difficulty. You might say, well there are mods for that and I did download some of them, but I never found one I felt was acceptable. There was a good dragon balance mod though, I did use that. It made dragons devastating, capable of wiping out 20-30 guards...etc. But not overwhelmingly so. It also gave them much stronger resistances to magic...etc. Great stuff.

But the game in general... it was such a cakewalk that I grew bored. Immersion can only take you so far when there's no challenge. Maybe it was my playstyle, a mace + shield, heavy armor warrior... I just crushed everything in my path after maybe level 15 onward.

Maybe there's an OOO for Skyrim or some type of equivalent. I haven't checked... but I know I could totally get back into it if there was. Some balance mod universally accepted as awesome...etc.
What difficulty level? I had to bump it up to Expert when I hit level 30- thinking about going to Master now on lvl 62..