Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
fuzzybabybunny
Digital & Video Cameras

Default Ultralight lappy with 1920x1080 or higher, replaceable HDD, upgradable RAM?

I'm looking for an ultralight (or as light as I can get it) laptop with at least 1920x1080, upgradable to 16GB of RAM, and an upgradable 2.5" HDD. Modern Core i5 or i7 desired, none of the gimped ULV stuff. M series is ok.

A dedicated nVidia card would be a plus for video editing.

No Apple. The Viao Z is too pricey.

EDIT: basically, is the Asus UX32 the only option? Can the UX32 even be upgraded to 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD?

Working on vacation.

"Don't do it, you'll die FBB." - ViviTheMage

Last edited by fuzzybabybunny; 11-06-2012 at 12:38 PM.
fuzzybabybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
pelov
Diamond Member

Maybe a Sony Vaio S 15.5"? It's got an optional Kepler GPU with a 1080p screen but it weighs in at 4lbs.

As far as I know, that Sony would be your only option. If you don't mind stepping down to 13.3" they offer the 1600x900 and it weighs only ~3lbs.
pelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
fuzzybabybunny
Digital & Video Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelov View Post
Maybe a Sony Vaio S 15.5"? It's got an optional Kepler GPU with a 1080p screen but it weighs in at 4lbs.

As far as I know, that Sony would be your only option. If you don't mind stepping down to 13.3" they offer the 1600x900 and it weighs only ~3lbs.
I wish I could

I currently have a 15" Sony and I've come to realize that 15" is just too big for travel/backpacking. Weighs 4.5lb like the Vaio S and doesn't fit in any kind of a small pack or bag.

I really need that 1920x1080 too for my video and photo work.

Working on vacation.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
pelov
Diamond Member

There really aren't any others that I can think of that fit those categories. Ultrabooks might have the resolution but they also use soldered RAM and a crappy ULV.

A T430s weighs 4lbs but only offers 1600x900.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Connoisseur
Platinum Member

It might not have a 1080p screen but there's the gigabyte U2442F that's coming out real soon. it's supposed to have the 650m (the GDDR3 version) a 1600x900 screen and should be pretty light.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4399#sp

I could've sworn there's another 13" ultrabook that has a 1080p screen but it only has HD4000 graphics. Upgradability in ultrabooks is slim pickings...
4GB DDR2
MSI Radeon HD4890 OC 1GB
Connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
SithSolo1
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
EDIT: basically, is the Asus UX32 the only option? Can the UX32 even be upgraded to 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD?
I can't find the manual but based on the Asus specs page it maxes out at 6gb of ram. Assuming you can get to the SSD I don't see why you can't swap it out for a 512GB version(make sure its 7mm high, I don't think a 9.5mm would fit). The other thing to note is that while it has both i5 and i7 options, they are ULV dual-core variants. The i5 variant should be on par with an i3-3120M. The i7 should perform roughly the same as an i5-3210M though it does have an extra 1MB of cache.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
pelov
Diamond Member

Maybe this Asus?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcA6QCZ9sQA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tops-Notebooks

not sure whether the RAM is soldered :/ it weighs 2.2kg. Very expensive too and apparently has issues with the bottom getting MacBook Pro type of hot due to a metal bottom...
Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
jtzou

Quote:
I'm looking for an ultralight (or as light as I can get it) laptop with at least 1920x1080, upgradable to 16GB of RAM, and an upgradable 2.5" HDD. Modern Core i5 or i7 desired, none of the gimped ULV stuff. M series is ok.

A dedicated nVidia card would be a plus for video editing.

No Apple. The Viao Z is too pricey.

The UX32 can be upgraded to 10GB RAM (2GB is soldered on, you can swap the other 2GB stick for an 8GB stick). The SSD can be any 7mm SSD, so a Samsung 830 or a Crucial M4 (SSD1)
Old 11-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
fuzzybabybunny
Digital & Video Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzou View Post
The UX32 can be upgraded to 10GB RAM (2GB is soldered on, you can swap the other 2GB stick for an 8GB stick). The SSD can be any 7mm SSD, so a Samsung 830 or a Crucial M4 (SSD1)
Gosh, 2GB is such a retarded amount. Any possibility of 16GB sticks coming out? And would the Asus even support it?

Working on vacation.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
stateofmind

why do you want 16GB?

anyway, they have it now for 1200$

about the gigabyte 900p screen - it is of low quality

what about the Sony Vaio S 13.3" - editL just noticed it's a 900p. Remembered 1080p
stateofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
kleinkinstein
Banned

You don't need, no one needs 16GB! Even so, the T530 is your machine. Nothing better, nothing finer, nothing snappier!
kleinkinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
stateofmind

why T530?
The L530 seems to be like a better deal. The price difference does not justify the T
Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
SithSolo1
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinkinstein View Post
You don't need, no one needs 16GB! Even so, the T530 is your machine. Nothing better, nothing finer, nothing snappier!
Some people need large amounts of ram, especially those in the photo and video editing business. Fuzzy happens to do photo work for a living. The T530 is great laptop for the money. However it isn't remotely light weight, nor is it the best or snappiest money can buy.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
fuzzybabybunny
Digital & Video Cameras

Quote:
Who says no one needs 16GB?

Try processing 1080p video and see how long you can go on 8GB before getting out of memory messages from Premiere. I can do maybe 10 minutes.

Working on vacation.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
fuzzybabybunny
Digital & Video Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofmind View Post
why do you want 16GB?

anyway, they have it now for 1200$

about the gigabyte 900p screen - it is of low quality

what about the Sony Vaio S 13.3" - editL just noticed it's a 900p. Remembered 1080p
Grrrr this is what I hate about the current laptop industry. As much as Apple doesn't suit me, Apple is the only company that even remotely gets it. Put the best hardware into a system and people will buy it! I hate all these ultra book manufacturers, with the exception of Asus and Sony, that continue to put shitty low res screens on these things. And shitty quality panels. Sony is guilty of this as well.

Working on vacation.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #16
stateofmind

ofcourse. They are all cold businessmen afterall. Someday people will just build things out of joy, but currently you have to buy one of these or wait - I suggest that you wait if you can.
Another option is to check if you can replace the screen yourself for some model you liked. For example, maybe you can buy the cheaper version of the UX32 with 768p screen and replace the screen.

Or one of the 900p laptops that you liked - laptops with 900p screen probably come with an LCD cable that will support 1080p screen (although it will not be sufficient by itself)
Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #17
kleinkinstein
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofmind View Post
why T530?
The L530 seems to be like a better deal. The price difference does not justify the T
The L series doesn't do 1080p, only 1600x900. Hence the price difference.
kleinkinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #18
Aristotelian

I recognize that you stated in the OP that you are not happy to pay the price for the Sony Z Series, but I wanted to state that I really am enjoying mine.

Maybe you should try one to see if it suits your needs. However, having read the rest of your posts - I think the Z Series is disqualified due to an 8GB of RAM upper limit.
"In the way proper to fellow-citizens, indeed, it is possible to be the friend of many and yet not be obsequious but a genuinely good man; but one cannot have with many people the friendship based on virtue and on the character of our friends themselves, and we must be content if we find even a few such." (EN. IX.10)
Aristotelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
stateofmind

Quote:
The L series doesn't do 1080p, only 1600x900. Hence the price difference.
yes, but the 1080p screen upgrade costs so much that you can get other machines for that price..
and the L530/T530 900p screen is one of the better ones
Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #20
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

Quote:
Grrrr this is what I hate about the current laptop industry. As much as Apple doesn't suit me, Apple is the only company that even remotely gets it. Put the best hardware into a system and people will buy it! I hate all these ultra book manufacturers, with the exception of Asus and Sony, that continue to put shitty low res screens on these things. And shitty quality panels. Sony is guilty of this as well.
The "current laptop industry" makes cheap computers with shitty screens because that's what Joe Average consumer voted for with his purchasing dollars. It matters not how much we enthusiasts rail against that in forums.

Regarding Ultrabooks, Intel wants to hit a price point while still raking it in on ULV processors. To hit that price point, companies need to cut back (low res TN screens, HDD with SSD cache). Wasn't Intel targeting $699 price point now? How can a company put a 1080P IPS screen in one of those (at today's BOM prices) and not go out of business?

Yes, YOU (as in fuzzybabybunny) is willing to spend big bucks on super high end and stylish. The next guy is only willing to spend that much if it is a DTR gaming laptop. A third guy may never be willing to spend that much even if he could afford it. The fourth person may only have a $400 budget, so higher end is a moot point.

MY point is that it isn't a foregone conclusion that "if you build it, they will come." There is a catch, being price.

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
mooncancook
Platinum Member

I just checked out the Sony Duo 11 slider at store. Beautiful 1080p IPS touch screen. Pretty light weight and small but a bit large and heavy as a tablet. Keyboard is too small so it'll take time to get used to. What really intrigues me is that it's got a Wacom digitizer, really useful if you are into digital arts. Reviews seem to suggest battery life is not that great though. Priced $1200-$1500 depends on config of i3-i7 CPU, 128GB-256GB SSD, 4GB-8GB ram. I like it but there is definitely room for improvement.
mooncancook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:43 AM   #22
fuzzybabybunny
Digital & Video Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
The "current laptop industry" makes cheap computers with shitty screens because that's what Joe Average consumer voted for with his purchasing dollars. It matters not how much we enthusiasts rail against that in forums.

Regarding Ultrabooks, Intel wants to hit a price point while still raking it in on ULV processors. To hit that price point, companies need to cut back (low res TN screens, HDD with SSD cache). Wasn't Intel targeting $699 price point now? How can a company put a 1080P IPS screen in one of those (at today's BOM prices) and not go out of business?

Yes, YOU (as in fuzzybabybunny) is willing to spend big bucks on super high end and stylish. The next guy is only willing to spend that much if it is a DTR gaming laptop. A third guy may never be willing to spend that much even if he could afford it. The fourth person may only have a $400 budget, so higher end is a moot point.

MY point is that it isn't a foregone conclusion that "if you build it, they will come." There is a catch, being price.
So everything Apple, Asus, and Sony does is idiocy then? I don't give a shit about stylish. I want a high quality 1080p screen in a compact package. Because I actually use my *mobile* laptop to be *mobile* and to do, you know, work. It's downright pathetic that my best option seems to be Apple, which I can't really use anyway unless I can get Windows working 100% on it.

I'm fine with shitty laptops. What I'm not fine with is not even having the option for a better laptop. Is it the manufacturers that are setting the shitty standard or the consumers? Which is it? Chicken or the egg? Apple wasn't afraid to be the standard bearer and we can all see how that worked for them - beautifully. Manufacturers need to grow a set of balls and push the envelope. Sometimes to succeed you need to *create* the need rather than just satisfy existing needs.

Working on vacation.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #23
fuzzybabybunny
Digital & Video Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotelian View Post
I recognize that you stated in the OP that you are not happy to pay the price for the Sony Z Series, but I wanted to state that I really am enjoying mine.

Maybe you should try one to see if it suits your needs. However, having read the rest of your posts - I think the Z Series is disqualified due to an 8GB of RAM upper limit.
I've also owned the Sony Z. Upgradability is non-existent. Custom soldered SSD. Soldered RAM. Nice and light though.

Working on vacation.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #24
fuzzybabybunny
Digital & Video Cameras

Looks like ultrabooks aren't where I want them to be yet.

What about just regular 14"-13" laptops with 1080p screens and up-gradable RAM and HDD? Something with the form factor of a non-ultrabook MacBook Pro 13" but not an Apple?

Working on vacation.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #25
SithSolo1
Diamond Member

You will more than likely have to go with a 15.6" screen at minimum to get the features you want. There just aren't any smaller options aside from a MacBook Pro with them avaible.

You are not going to like it but I'm tossing the MSI GE60 into the fray. Its designed as a gaming laptop so its 15.6", about 1.5" thick, comes in at about 5.3lbs, and battery life isn't great.

However:
1080P screen
Easy access to internals
Official support for 16GB of ram
Full fledged mobile i7 quad-core
open mSATA slot for SSD + 2.5" HDD bay for storage + an optical drive
Starts around $1000

Other options in the 15.6" range:
Lenovo Y580 - Lenovo's gaming laptop. Pretty much the same specs as the MSI however max supported ram is 8GB(though some people have had success with 16GB) and it weighs more at about 6lbs.
Lenovo W530 - Best professional 15.6" option. Multiple quad-core i7 options(up to extreme editions), 1080P screen w/ 95% RBG Gamut , up to 32GB of ram(4-dimms), mSATA slot + 2.5" drive slot + optical drive or additional HDD w/ bay adapter, Kepler based NV Quadro options, huge 9-cell battery, Windows 7 or 8. Biggest con is that it is heavy, around 6lbs and bulky even by 15.6" standards because of the battery. Another con is price: starts $1400 in base config with quad core, 320GB HDD, 8GB ram, and a 1080P screen. Review
Asus U500/UX51 - thin ultrabook like 15.6", only 4lbs with 8-cell battery, 1080P IPS screen, up to 12GB of ram, base model has dual 128GB SSDs. Limited to ULV dual-core i7, limited availability, and expensive: starting around $2k.

Last edited by SithSolo1; 11-11-2012 at 05:22 PM.
SithSolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote