· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
SandEagle
Lifer

Default fat burner - who's taking them?

i've been pretty inactive for the last 3 months. i cut my caloric intake to < 1700/day but am unable to lose ANY weight. i weigh the same as before i cut down. thinking about taking thermogenic fat burners. has anyone had success using these? i'm interested in the NUTREX LIPO 6. i will begin exercise along with the supplement.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
purbeast0
Lifer

ive taken lipo 6 but i was also exercising and trying to lose weight other than doing a magical diet pill, so no clue what effects it had on me. i just remember it made my piss neon yellow.

your metabolism is probably slow as shit so just start doing some exercising to boost your metabolism. don't rely on some stupid ass magical fat pill.

do you really think they are going to work? if it was as easy as taking a pill to lose fat, don't you think there would be a lot of people taking that crap?
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Jeffg010
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandEagle View Post
i've been pretty inactive for the last 3 months. i cut my caloric intake to < 1700/day but am unable to lose ANY weight. i weigh the same as before i cut down. thinking about taking thermogenic fat burners. has anyone had success using these? i'm interested in the NUTREX LIPO 6. i will begin exercise along with the supplement.
how long have you been cutting?
Jeffg010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Cerpin Taxt
Diamond Member

I used Lipo 6X "Black" and cut about 15lbs in a couple months, but I was also lifting and cutting carbs. I was not unhappy with the results. I retained adequate muscle mass.

Always nice to meet another solipsist...
Cerpin Taxt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
SandEagle
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffg010 View Post
how long have you been cutting?
at least 2 months. cut out a ton of junk food and started eating more fruits and veg. and oatmeal every morning. i also take tea now 2-3 times a day. my metabolism is fvcked.

Last edited by SandEagle; 11-09-2012 at 04:12 PM.
SandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Corporate Thug
Lifer

EC stack is the best option IMO.

Member, Official AnandTech Bar Association

Corsair 700D ll i2500k@ 4.5 Ghz ll Asrock z68 gen3 ll Sapphire 7870XT Tahiti @ 1200/1600 ll Corsair A70 ll XFX 650W Black Edition ll 8GB Corsair Vengeance ll Dell 2707 WFP
Corporate Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Childs
Diamond Member

Just go low carb. I have averaged about 3-4lbs a week. I was doing low cal before this, and while I didnt gain any weight, I didnt lose any either. It was hard giving up potato chips, pasta and bread, but once you find substitutes that you can live with, it becomes easy to stay on the diet.
Childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
OmegaSupreme

All of those magic pills are bullshit. If you follow a healthy diet the pounds will just drop right off anyway.

The first and most important thing is your diet. The first thing you need to do is cut out junk food. And I don't mean chocolate, but rather pop, chips and foods with loads of empty calories.
Second, it's important to eat small meals more frequently. Usually it's best to eat 5 or 6 small meals as opposed to 3 big ones. This will seriously improve your metabolism.
Third, eat lean meats and avoid animal fats like the plague. So no Bacon. The rule of thumb for good fats is: if it's liquid at body temp, like butter, it's a good fat. If it's solid avoid it. Fish is an excellent food for protein and good fats.
Fourth, cut out grains.
The of course regular exercise.
OmegaSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
mple

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
All of those magic pills are bullshit. If you follow a healthy diet the pounds will just drop right off anyway.

The first and most important thing is your diet. The first thing you need to do is cut out junk food. And I don't mean chocolate, but rather pop, chips and foods with loads of empty calories.
Second, it's important to eat small meals more frequently. Usually it's best to eat 5 or 6 small meals as opposed to 3 big ones. This will seriously improve your metabolism.
Third, eat lean meats and avoid animal fats like the plague. So no Bacon. The rule of thumb for good fats is: if it's liquid at body temp, like butter, it's a good fat. If it's solid avoid it. Fish is an excellent food for protein and good fats.
Fourth, cut out grains.
The of course regular exercise.
Or you can acquire some willpower and eat at a caloric deficit. There is no reason nor is there any medical research backing 5-6 meals being superior to 3 large meals or even 2 large meals in an otherwise normal adult with no underlying medical condition. I incorporate chocolate, pop tarts, animal fats, and ice cream into my daily caloric intake and I'm doing just fine with my overall physique goals.

I agree that magic diet pills (outside of prescription stimulants that suppress appetite) to be largely BS.
mple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
at least 2 months. cut out a ton of junk food and started eating more fruits and veg. and oatmeal every morning. i also take tea now 2-3 times a day. my metabolism is fvcked.
sounds like you at at more than 1700 cals.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mple View Post
Or you can acquire some willpower and eat at a caloric deficit. There is no reason nor is there any medical research backing 5-6 meals being superior to 3 large meals or even 2 large meals in an otherwise normal adult with no underlying medical condition. I incorporate chocolate, pop tarts, animal fats, and ice cream into my daily caloric intake and I'm doing just fine with my overall physique goals.

I agree that magic diet pills (outside of prescription stimulants that suppress appetite) to be largely BS.
i'd have to say post pics.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
SandEagle
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
sounds like you at at more than 1700 cals.
maybe on a few days. i am eating extremely healthy. no red meats. i am counting everything.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
surfsatwerk
Diamond Member

Quote:
maybe on a few days. i am eating extremely healthy. no red meats. i am counting everything.

indeed
Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
purbeast0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mple View Post

he wasn't saying eating 5-6 smaller meals vs eating 3 large meals is 'superior' or make him magically lose weight.

he was stating that it will help speed his metabolism up, which is true.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
OmegaSupreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
he wasn't saying eating 5-6 smaller meals vs eating 3 large meals is 'superior' or make him magically lose weight.

My nutrition Prof compared eating small and large meals to a woodchipper in regards to you metabolism.
If you throw small branches in, the chipper, will not slow down very much. However, when you throw a log in there it slows way down.

In regards to it being better, this is subjective to the person since no one is physiologically identical.
One of the main reasons to do it is to prevent your body from going into starvation mode and literally keeping every calorie it gets. That's why simply not eating to lose weight doesn't work very well.
I wasn't suggesting this for someone who wants to only lose weight. My suggestion was for someone that's exercising to get into shape in addition to fat loss.
OmegaSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
SociallyChallenged
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post

Eating more meals to increase metabolism is bro-science and research shows consistently that it has no benefit whatsoever. Calories burnt is a function of the following equation:

BMR (basal metabolic rate) + TEA (thermic effect of activity) + TEF (thermic effect of foot) = Caloric expenditure

The TEF is exactly the same and eating more frequently doesn't magically modify BMR. The "eat more frequently to burn more calories" mindset is a farce and based on the bodybuilder concept of eating frequently to always have amino acids in the bloodstream. People noticed they were very lean and just assumed it was because they ate so frequently. Regular randomized controlled trials show that meal frequency has no effect. You could literally eat all of your calories for one day in one meal and burn the same amount.
I am a doctor of physical therapy. Information I provide is based on subjective report alone. This frequently results in speculation and, as a result, may not always be accurate. Thus I am not liable for any action taken based on information provided.

Now offering physical therapy consultation services via Skype, e-mail, and phone. Please PM me for details.
SociallyChallenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
mple

Quote:
How are you counting? Scale? Going by eye? 1700 kcals is a puny amount of kcals and going by eye could easily have overeat by 300-500 kcals. But you should realize that it's calories in/calories out. If 1700 is a 20% deficit below your maintenance, and one day a week you binge with 5000 kcals, you've effectively ate at maintenance the entire week.

Quote:
My nutrition Prof compared eating small and large meals to a woodchipper in regards to you metabolism.
If you throw small branches in, the chipper, will not slow down very much. However, when you throw a log in there it slows way down.
How would you define a log? On a modest cutting diet of 2200-2600 kcals, 3 meals at 700-900ish kcals is nothing the body can't handle.

Quote:
In regards to it being better, this is subjective to the person since no one is physiologically identical.
One of the main reasons to do it is to prevent your body from going into starvation mode and literally keeping every calorie it gets. That's why simply not eating to lose weight doesn't work very well.
I wasn't suggesting this for someone who wants to only lose weight. My suggestion was for someone that's exercising to get into shape in addition to fat loss.
Compose a proper deficit diet and your body will never even come close to entering starvation mode.
mple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
Corporate Thug
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsatwerk View Post
indeed
??? since when is red meat unhealthy?

Member, Official AnandTech Bar Association

Corsair 700D ll i2500k@ 4.5 Ghz ll Asrock z68 gen3 ll Sapphire 7870XT Tahiti @ 1200/1600 ll Corsair A70 ll XFX 650W Black Edition ll 8GB Corsair Vengeance ll Dell 2707 WFP
Corporate Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
alkemyst
No Lifer

As far as fat burners, it's hard to beat ECA stacks until going into the realm of prescription meds like HCG, steroids, etc.

20/200/81mg 3x a day is my go-to.

There is a nice stimulant effect, but I think the biggest advantage is appetite suppression. I just went from 9pm last night to 6pm today without a meal and did my workout (the last few sets were tough). Normally I have two meals in a day, but I got a late start since I decided to go out last night and then met a chick at dog park...did my workout at 4pm, just finished my lunch/dinner .

Going back out in a bit after I walk the dog and feed the cats outside.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
Pantlegz
Diamond Member

I've had positive results with both 1st phorm overdrive and the red and black cts 360. The former worked much better.

Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated
Pantlegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #21
Vic Vega
Diamond Member

No clue about current "fat burner" pills. Back in the day you stacked if you wanted to lose weight fast. No clue what people do now, I haven't lifted weights in 10+ years now.
Vic Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #22
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
No clue about current "fat burner" pills. Back in the day you stacked if you wanted to lose weight fast. No clue what people do now, I haven't lifted weights in 10+ years now.
thanks?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #23
SandEagle
Lifer

what's the purpose of the aspirin in the stack? i am looking into ephedra at the moment.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #24
SilthDraeth
Platinum Member

Quote:
what's the purpose of the aspirin in the stack? i am looking into ephedra at the moment.
As a supplement very dangerous, the plant though, steeping the stalks and making tea is what I did before. Of course not to try and burn fat, just to try it out.

Not advocating taking it, but I think the plant is safe, just do your research with it as well as everything else people have recommended...

Also, going to just say in full disclosure that I am a lot more ignorant about most this stuff than most people here, and also that I mentioned the Ephedra plant to SandEagle.

Good luck.
06/05/2007 01:27 PM Originally posted by: Vic
The more they stare in fear at the forest, the fewer trees they'll see.

SilthDraeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #25
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
There is a lot of debate whether it's needed or not. IMHO all the research was done on it included so I include it at 81mg instead of the 325mg the original tests used sort of splitting the difference.