· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #26
katkah

I purchased mine a couple of days ago and received today. I think it EXTREMELY ironic that the 2 failed exactly coinciding with their release to the public. I purchased the US version and both posters seem to be posting from elsewhere. I didn't open waiting for some real life reviews but based on the previous version and the additional year of research I can't wait to see what consumer level users have to say. It is reported to come with a game (assasin III), but I'd rather have lower prices. I guess that they are trying to hook gamers on the SSD experience.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #27
Puffnstuff
Platinum Member

I cloned my boot drive the my 840 pro this afternoon but haven't installed it yet. I didn't receive any games with my drive.
Loop 1: EVGA x58 E760 i7 930, HK 3.0 cpu block, EK chipset block & dual bay res, swiftech mcp655 pump, feser x360 rad, scythe fan controller & panaflow fans, bp & feser fittings, distilled water w/primochill liquid utopia, samsung 840 pro 256gb
Loop 2: Dead and buried.
PNY 780 ti gpu, Powered by Enermax Platimax 1350 watt
Old 11-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #28
katkah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffnstuff View Post
I cloned my boot drive the my 840 pro this afternoon but haven't installed it yet. I didn't receive any games with my drive.
It's being reported everywhere:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/07/s...h-ssd-840-pro/

Look through your paperwork as it is just a code and a link to download the product.

I'm going from a 7200 to the ssd so I am doing a clean install to ensure proper settings, but will definitely wait before I open it. Not actually scared but I want to hear others experiences with everything.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #29
Puffnstuff
Platinum Member

Getting back on topic this is the only place that I see reporting a failure of this drive. I'll swap mine in soon. I also double checked the the contents of my drive and no game code or reference to a free game.
Loop 1: EVGA x58 E760 i7 930, HK 3.0 cpu block, EK chipset block & dual bay res, swiftech mcp655 pump, feser x360 rad, scythe fan controller & panaflow fans, bp & feser fittings, distilled water w/primochill liquid utopia, samsung 840 pro 256gb
Loop 2: Dead and buried.
PNY 780 ti gpu, Powered by Enermax Platimax 1350 watt
Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #30
videoclone
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Do you live near a Micro Center? I hear the Samsung 830 256GB is $149.99 in store, and the 128GB is $69.99, no rebate pricing.

I think graphics cards are fine as well as CPUs, but yeah SSDs and motherboards often seem iffy before the first round of firmware updates.
Im in Metro, Sydney, Australia.. Cheapest i've seen it for is $195AU ... its not as good as $149.99US but its not bad either. Sandisk's can be had for $170

The exchange rate is $1 AU buys $1 US so pretty much the same apart from tax and larger market making the cost cheaper for the US
PC Intel i7 2600, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, GA-P67A-UD3R-B3, GB-HD7970 WF OC 3GB, Sandisk Extreme 240gb & Samsung 830 256gb, Samsung 1.5TB & 1TB Spinpoint, Bluray Drive, Silverstone 750 Gold evo, Fractal Design R3 B, 30" Dell UltraSharp U3011.

Last edited by videoclone; 11-09-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #31
videoclone
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams4200 View Post
Did you test either of the failed units with a meter to see if the power delivery circuit was providing power to the ICs?

Did the second unit fail with the exact same symptoms as the first unit? What exact I/O was the second unit subjected to when it failed?
He sent the drives back to samsung
PC Intel i7 2600, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, GA-P67A-UD3R-B3, GB-HD7970 WF OC 3GB, Sandisk Extreme 240gb & Samsung 830 256gb, Samsung 1.5TB & 1TB Spinpoint, Bluray Drive, Silverstone 750 Gold evo, Fractal Design R3 B, 30" Dell UltraSharp U3011.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #32
jwilliams4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoclone View Post
He sent the drives back to samsung
Obviously. Did you have a point?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #33
Coup27
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkah View Post
I purchased mine a couple of days ago and received today. I think it EXTREMELY ironic that the 2 failed exactly coinciding with their release to the public. I purchased the US version and both posters seem to be posting from elsewhere.
Would you care to expand these comments? They suggest that Anandtech has purposely given Samsung some bad publicity at the same time as a product release.

The second statement is just thick. Do you think Samsung makes US and non-US versions of their SSDs? Also you said "both posters" - this thread is about the 2 review drives which both failed on Kristian Vatto.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #34
Hellhammer
AnandTech SSD Editor

Quote:
Did you test either of the failed units with a meter to see if the power delivery circuit was providing power to the ICs?
Anand had both of the drives so I'm not sure if he did that kind of testing. He told me he's suspecting that it's the power delivery circuit but without a confirmation from Samsung, it's just a guess.

Quote:
Did the second unit fail with the exact same symptoms as the first unit?
As far as I know, yes, it just died. No longer being detected by BIOS or the system at all.

Quote:
What exact I/O was the second unit subjected to when it failed?
It was one of the newer enterprise tests, so not the same test as with the earlier sample. Not sure which test exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coup27 View Post
Also you said "both posters" - this thread is about the 2 review drives which both failed on Kristian Vatto.
Actually, Anand killed both of the samples. I only have the regular 840, Anand has (well, had) the Pro.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #35
jwilliams4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
It was one of the newer enterprise tests, so not the same test as with the earlier sample. Not sure which test exactly.
Can you try to find out which test was running when it died? I'd like to try it (or as close as I can replicate Anand's test with IOMeter or fio) on my 840 Pro to see if the same workload will also kill my unit.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #36
hhhd1

Both drives where from the same batch that were being sent to reviewers and available to samsung officials, and both drives had the same issue.

I wonder if the same tests would be ran on a drive from a different source would it have the same issues or not.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #37
katkah

Quote:
Would you care to expand these comments? They suggest that Anandtech has purposely given Samsung some bad publicity at the same time as a product release.

The second statement is just thick. Do you think Samsung makes US and non-US versions of their SSDs? Also you said "both posters" - this thread is about the 2 review drives which both failed on Kristian Vatto.

Sure this site is the only one reporting a failure and at the exact same time as the release. They didn't fail last week or a week prior or even next week but within days of being released. Plextor M5P would be the next best drive NOT Crucial.

Last edited by katkah; 11-09-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #38
taltamir
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoclone View Post
Two Samsung 840 Pro review samples received by Anandtech have failed.
and they have updated the review conclusion.
*snip*
As they continue to shrink Nand, it looks like they are reducing lifespan, reducing reliability all for the sack of reducing cost. I guess the older mature 25nm/27nm NAND SSD's are the way to go.
What does NAND lifespan have to do with an SSD failing within a few days of testing?
That would be a defect in the drive. Firmware, power circuitry, controller... there are so many places where this kind of failure is far more plausible.

Now, I am actually concerned about the new intel SSD showcasing new shrunk NAND eating up lifespan when tested by anandtech. Waiting on the conclusion of the investigation they and intel are making into it

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not superman!
The internet is a source of infinite information; the vast majority of which happens to be wrong.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #39
jwilliams4200

Quote:
Sure this site is the only one reporting a failure and at the exact same time as the release. They didn't fail last week or a week prior or even next week but within days of being released.
What are you talking about? You make it sound like two samples failed this week.

The first review sample failed weeks ago (in September, I believe). Then Samsung sent a replacement (I'm not sure exactly when that was received by anandtech) and that one failed, too.

Samsung really should have gotten back to anandtech with a failure report on the first unit weeks ago. I think Samsung has handled the situation very badly. Although Anand could have handled it better -- he should be printing all of the details about the two failures, such as exactly what the drives were doing when they failed, the symptoms of the failures, and any post-mortem analysis he did on the failed units.

Last edited by jwilliams4200; 11-09-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #40
rgallant
Golden Member

-what a mess
-the 840pro was to be the replacement for my g2 raid 0
-eta in Canada nov.16
-no firmware version listed by users or Anand that I noticed ,so I'll wait and see.
-maybe peeps with 840pro 256 can list their firmware in any comments about the 840pro 256 to compare.
W7HP-64 || 27"A850D || AX1200w || G15,G13,G500s
SB-Z -analog >Yamaha 765 AVR, 4x PSB alpha b1 ,1 x PSB alpha C1 ,10" sub
Old 11-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #41
Anteaus
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakboy View Post
The 830 512GB came out at 1100k then price went to 700 dollars
It went from 1.1 million to 700? thats a hella crazy price drop lmao. I'm just messing with you its a funny type though.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #42
Coup27
Golden Member

Quote:
Sure this site is the only one reporting a failure and at the exact same time as the release. They didn't fail last week or a week prior or even next week but within days of being released.
You obviously have no idea how stupid you sound so I think we'll just leave it there.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #43
hhhd1

I really hope that samsung can get back on their feet in this problem, if they don't, the SSDs market is going to be affected badly, and price wars might not be as aggressive, specially when the 830 is being taken of the market.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #44
m.alkhalel

Any 1 knows where I can find the eta to Europe ?

Last edited by m.alkhalel; 11-10-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #45
katkah

Quote:
What are you talking about? You make it sound like two samples failed this week.

The first review sample failed weeks ago (in September, I believe). Then Samsung sent a replacement (I'm not sure exactly when that was received by anandtech) and that one failed, too.

Samsung really should have gotten back to anandtech with a failure report on the first unit weeks ago. I think Samsung has handled the situation very badly. Although Anand could have handled it better -- he should be printing all of the details about the two failures, such as exactly what the drives were doing when they failed, the symptoms of the failures, and any post-mortem analysis he did on the failed units.
You are mouthy so I pretty much ignore you, but if it failed last month when they were tested and then sent back that should/would have been reported at the time. It wasn't reported until after the release.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #46
katkah

Quote:
You obviously have no idea how stupid you sound so I think we'll just leave it there.
I don't sound stupid I made a typo! The same as many other people except I was fixing it whilst YOU were sounding stupid!
Old 11-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #47
jwilliams4200

Quote:
but if it failed last month when they were tested and then sent back that should/would have been reported at the time. It wasn't reported until after the release.
Why do you keep posting nonsense? Are you intentionally trying to make yourself look like you have no idea what you are talking about?

The first failure was reported in the 840 Pro review when the review came out in late September.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #48
Hellhammer
AnandTech SSD Editor

Quote:
Can you try to find out which test was running when it died? I'd like to try it (or as close as I can replicate Anand's test with IOMeter or fio) on my 840 Pro to see if the same workload will also kill my unit.
Just spoke with Anand about this:

The first sample, like I told you before, failed while it was being filled up with 128KB sequential data (QD=1). It would no longer power on (no current detected by a multimeter).

The second sample died during power consumption test (that's either 128KB sequential data (QD=1) or 4KB random data (QD=32, 100% LBA space)). Our enterprise suite was run on it a couple of times before the failure occurred. It would still power on but was not being detected by the system/BIOS.

Ironically my regular 840 is still alive after over 40TB of writes...
Old 11-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #49
jwilliams4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
Just spoke with Anand about this:

The first sample, like I told you before, failed while it was being filled up with 128KB sequential data (QD=1). It would no longer power on (no current detected by a multimeter).

The second sample died during power consumption test (that's either 128KB sequential data (QD=1) or 4KB random data (QD=32, 100% LBA space)). Our enterprise suite was run on it a couple of times before the failure occurred. It would still power on but was not being detected by the system/BIOS.

Ironically my regular 840 is still alive after over 40TB of writes...
Thanks for the additional information. I guess I will subject my 840 Pro to alternating bouts of 256GB of 128KiB QD1 sequential writes and 256GB of 4KiB QD32 random writes for a few days to see if it holds up or not.

For the 40TB-written 840, have you tried any data retention tests? For example, copy a few very large files to the SSD, compute the MD5 checksums, then power off the SSD for a week. Then power it back on and check the MD5s...
Old 11-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #50
Remobz
Golden Member

Quote:
Thanks for the additional information. I guess I will subject my 840 Pro to alternating bouts of 256GB of 128KiB QD1 sequential writes and 256GB of 4KiB QD32 random writes for a few days to see if it holds up or not.

For the 40TB-written 840, have you tried any data retention tests? For example, copy a few very large files to the SSD, compute the MD5 checksums, then power off the SSD for a week. Then power it back on and check the MD5s...
I am crossing my fingers that all goes well.
Closed Thread