· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
dud
Diamond Member

Default Console Gaming is dying?

I didn't know:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/09/tech/g...html?hpt=hp_c2

"If console gaming were a first-person shooter, it would be taking heavy fire right now. A red hue would envelop the viewable screen from all sides, an ominous sign of spilled blood.

Or worse, near-death.

Despite this, Nintendo will release its new Wii U console on November 18, ushering in the eighth and possibly last generation of traditional home consoles as we know them.

Consider this: Dedicated gaming sales including living-room consoles and handhelds are in the midst of a four-year tailspin. You might say that's because of a bad economy, but then you'd have to explain why movie revenue and cable TV subscriptions have largely stayed the same.

Or why music sales, gutted by online streaming and piracy, have held up better than slumping sales of console games. Or why the popularity of social, mobile and PC games have skyrocketed to unthinkable heights."

The article continues ... I would be interested in your opinions.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
American Gunner
Platinum Member

You're first mistake was listening to CNN on anything. Now on to the topic, sales always drop off as the generation goes along. People rush out to get the new system when it first comes out. I am pretty sure that by looking at some of the big video games sales numbers, and how they break records every year, you can be assured that console gaming isn't going anywhere.
American Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
RedRooster
Diamond Member

This generation has gone on way too long, thats all it is.
Computer dudes would have probably upgraded 3 times in this console gen's lifespan, people are just bored of the same thing.
Once the new ones come out, it'll take off again. I hope.
Remember where PC gaming was 8 years ago when consoles were crushing everything? It's all cyclical.
RedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
purbeast0
Lifer

i blame the fad of the wii inflating the console numbers. and once the non-gamers who purchased it realized they aren't gamers and weren't purchasing games for the console anymore, numbers came back to reality.

additionally the 360 came out in what, 2004, with the ps3/wii coming out the year after? it's been a long long console generation.
purbeast0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
cmdrdredd
Lifer

The sales have been dropping because there are rumors of PS4 and the next Xbox floating around. Dev kits for these are spec'd out and there is the possibility of some big news at E3. Plus the Wiiu releases this month so...yeah people probably aren't buying new hardware. It's not dying at all.

I also agree with Purebeast...casual gamers would buy the Wii and just play one or two games. Nobody I know who isn't a core gamer bought anything other than maybe one Wii title. Casuals walked away now and I can almost guarantee the WiiU won't have the same success since it's not bargain bin priced and the fad of motion gaming is wearing off (the new system doesn't even tout that feature specifically).
cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
dud
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Gunner View Post
You're first mistake was listening to CNN on anything. Now on to the topic, sales always drop off as the generation goes along. People rush out to get the new system when it first comes out. I am pretty sure that by looking at some of the big video games sales numbers, and how they break records every year, you can be assured that console gaming isn't going anywhere.

OK ... then what was my second mistake?

I own 1 console and (at my advanced age) primarily play PC games (to keep my geriatric mind as sharp as possible).

I see no purpose for a gaming console ... that is unless you can hack it.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Gooberlx2
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
i blame the fad of the wii inflating the console numbers. and once the non-gamers who purchased it realized they aren't gamers and weren't purchasing games for the console anymore, numbers came back to reality.
That's a good point. Moreover, once those casual gamers found out they could get all the gaming they cared for with their tablet or phone in the last couple years, that helped to drive that inflated number down.
Gooberlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
American Gunner
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud View Post
OK ... then what was my second mistake?

I own 1 console and (at my advanced age) primarily play PC games (to keep my geriatric mind as sharp as possible).

I see no purpose for a gaming console ... that is unless you can hack it.
So you are one person, and just because you find no purpose for it doesn't mean it is dying. I know a lot of people that used to do PC gaming, but as they are getting older they are spending time on consoles because they are easier to deal with. I think it is fatigue, like other have said we are just ready for the new consoles. I am pretty sure that a certain game coming out next week will shatter sales records and will have plenty of people playing console games. It's not dying, it isn't even hurting at this point.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
exdeath
Lifer

People are tired of the same 3 games released every 3 months on all 6+ systems even though they are stupid enough to continue buying them anyway.

Last edited by exdeath; 11-09-2012 at 03:31 PM.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
American Gunner
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdeath View Post
People are tired of the same 3 games released every 3 months on all 6+ systems even though they are stupid enough to continue buying them anyway.
Really? Because a lot of games seem to be selling well. While you may hate Call of Duty, millions of people don't and can't wait for it to come out.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
American Gunner
Platinum Member

Maybe I am the only one, but I have really enjoyed this generation. While some people, like exdeath, spend all their time hating on it and constantly saying that there are only shooters and nothing good out, I have had a blast playing games like batman, God of War, Gears, The Elder Scrolls, Forza, Uncharted series, Infamous series, Ratchet and Clank, Heavy Rain, Dragon Age, and Red Dead redemption. This has been a great generation, and I look forward to what the future holds.

Last edited by American Gunner; 11-09-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
exdeath
Lifer

Quote:
Really? Because a lot of games seem to be selling well. While you may hate Call of Duty, millions of people don't and can't wait for it to come out again.
Ftfy
Old 11-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
exdeath
Lifer

Quote:
Maybe I am the only one, but I have really enjoyed this generation. While some people, like exdeath, spend all their time hating on it and constantly saying that there are only shooters and nothing good out, I have had a blast playing games like batman, God of War, Gears, The Elder Scrolls, Forza, Uncharted series, Infamous series, Ratchet and Clank, Heavy Rain, Dragon Age, and Red Dead redemption. This has been a great generation, and I look forward to what the future holds.
You listed like 11 things on a platform with over 3000+++ releases. Speaks for itself.

Last edited by exdeath; 11-09-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Hrm...When was the last Halo released? 3 years ago. Assassin's Creed seems to have a new iteration every year but the new one is completely built on a new engine which has been in development for about 3 years or so. I can go on... GTA, Max Payne, forza...all games that aren't out every 3 months. God of War, Metal Gear, and I can go on and include nintendo titles like Metroid, Mario, Zelda, a new Pikmin. All those games don't even come close to seeing a release yearly.

Hell, even CoD is not every 3 months...every year yeah but quit making up stupid shit.

Maybe if you took the advice of American Gunner and look at things other than shooters you will gain a new perspective, but knowing you I doubt it will happen. You're a console hater and that's that.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 11-09-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
RedRooster
Diamond Member

Quote:
I agree. SNES/Genesis used to be mine, but this one has been amazing, so many good stories. I could never get into all the Japanese stories during PS1/2, but for my money nothing beats Red Dead Redemption. That and Fallout 3 I'll remember till I die.
RedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #16
American Gunner
Platinum Member

Quote:
You listed like 11 things on a platform with over 3000+++ releases.
Yeah, and those are the only games I enjoyed...you're posts have really become quite comical. If you hate the new generation so much, why do you continue to post in all the threads about it? Shouldn't you be chasing those pesky kids off your lawn and getting ready for your 4:30 dinner?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
American Gunner
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRooster View Post
I agree. SNES/Genesis used to be mine, but this one has been amazing, so many good stories. I could never get into all the Japanese stories during PS1/2, but for my money nothing beats Red Dead Redemption. That and Fallout 3 I'll remember till I die.
Yeah, and the games I listed were just off the top of my head. I have played hundreds of games this generation, and have really enjoyed it.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
cmdrdredd
Lifer

I was pleasantly surprised by Infamous as well. Not the best game but actually pretty decent when I gave it a chance. I'm also a big fan of Little Big Planet and the Wipeout reboots for PS3/Vita. Also anxiously awaiting Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. People cay it';s a Smash Bros clone but it doesn't matter, Raiden, Dante, and Kratos are in it.

Seems I've played my PS3 more than anything else lol. Although I did do the whole Gears of War and Halo thing (enjoying Halo 4 a lot).
Old 11-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
American Gunner
Platinum Member

I forgot about LBP. That game was pretty good too. I loved the second one. Plus we aren't mentioning any of the XBLA/PSN games too. Anyone that thinks this generation is horrible or one dimentional is pretty dense, or is just trying to prove a point.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
exdeath
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Hrm...When was the last Halo released? 3 years ago. Assassin's Creed seems to have a new iteration every year but the new one is completely built on a new engine which has been in development for about 3 years or so. I can go on... GTA, Max Payne, forza...all games that aren't out every 3 months. God of War, Metal Gear, and I can go on and include nintendo titles like Metroid, Mario, Zelda, a new Pikmin. All those games don't even come close to seeing a release yearly.

Hell, even CoD is not every 3 months...every year yeah but quit making up stupid shit.

Maybe if you took the advice of American Gunner and look at things other than shooters you will gain a new perspective, but knowing you I doubt it will happen. You're a console hater and that's that.
Not even a console hater. But I hate that my must have game collection per console gets progressively smaller and smaller every generation since PS2.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #21
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Quote:
Not even a console hater. But I hate that my must have game collection per console gets progressively smaller and smaller every generation since PS2.
That's just your opinion on the games available though. There is a ton of stuff out there but you have to be open to explore it and not write it off at first glance. That's what's tough because it's easy to be overwhelmed by the volume of titles.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #22
exdeath
Lifer

I just want a tragic story telling RPG that doesn't appeal to the mainstream with shooter or hack and slash gameplay. Eg its not going to happen ever again. Its all about trying to be appealing to CoD wankers and selling 100 million preorders anymore.

Last edited by exdeath; 11-09-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #23
Aikouka
Lifer

Quote:
I just want a tragic story telling RPG that doesn't appeal to the mainstream with shooter or hack and slash gameplay. Eg its not going to happen ever again. Its all about trying to be appealing to CoD wankers and selling 100 million preorders anymore.
I'm waiting for Ni no Kuni for that. Although, I wish I would have known that pre-orders for the collector's edition were cut off at a specific date (not a number of copies). I was tempted to get it, but I kept putting it off.

Oh, and I think your posts would be enhanced with an Eeyore avatar, because that's the voice that I read all your posts in.
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #24
Geosurface
Diamond Member

I'm primarily a PC gamer and my 3 consoles from this gen largely collect dust, but then so do 99% of the games in my enormous Steam library. I am just not as voracious for games anymore, it's mostly my fault, aging's fault.

But I did just do Halo 4 single player and I liked it a lot.

American Gunner had a good list of great games from this gen, some I haven't played, others I have. Red Dead Redemption was great.

I'd just like to add to the list he gave:

Bioshock 1 and 2
Dishonored

Those are some damned good games.

We still have Bioshock Infinite to look forward to also.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #25
mmntech
Lifer

The mainstream media knows next to nothing about gaming. If they're not reporting on an obscure "controversial" game released five years ago only in Japan, they're using a Sega Genesis to illustrate the latest in game tech.

I will say that gaming is in a state of flux right now. Though it's nothing we haven't seen before. Big publishers are getting stale but now has never been better for indie devs.