· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
jpeyton
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Default Apple Loses In Courts Again; Infringes On FaceTime Patents

Ordered To Pay $368 Million

That's a good chunk of their Samsung winnings, gone in a flash.

When will Apple (and others) concede that the current environment of technology patent litigation is a zero sum game?
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
postmortemIA
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeyton View Post
Ordered To Pay $368 Million

That's a good chunk of their Samsung winnings, gone in a flash.

When will Apple (and others) concede that the current environment of technology patent litigation is a zero sum game?
It might be zero sum when it comes to money they make out of these. It is not zero sum game for these for which litigation is only source of income (patent trolls).

However, big players like Apple (stupidly) believe that they can disrupt competition's product supply and development of future products by these lawsuits.

In other words, if money was no problem, and competition is making good products; how do you legally stop them? With lawyers. This is what Microsoft used to do.

postmortemIA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
ponyo
Lifer

That's nice chunk of change. I was wondering why VHC stock price jumped 28% today.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Zaap
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmortemIA View Post
In other words, if money was no problem, and competition is making good products; how do you legally stop them? With lawyers. This is what Microsoft used to do.
So true. Apple has become everything and worse that they used to rally against Microsoft and IBM for. They now ARE the Big Brother on a screen that needs someone to run in and toss a hammer through.

Saddest of all is the fans who've gone along with it just to cheerlead for their team.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
HeXen
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmortemIA View Post

Nintendo was also like that at one time, back in the 8 bit days. I remember when they sued Sega because they repackaged and shrank their console to make it cheaper. Lost obviously.

But that's business, i'm just a consumer of products.

"Moderation" "Self discipline" "Willpower" "Responsibility" "Think ahead" "Independent"
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
sjwaste
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaap View Post
So true. Apple has become everything and worse that they used to rally against Microsoft and IBM for. They now ARE the Big Brother on a screen that needs someone to run in and toss a hammer through.

Saddest of all is the fans who've gone along with it just to cheerlead for their team.
Yup. I'll never understand brand loyalty with technology products, especially personal and consumer electronics. It just bolsters my belief that the average consumer is a complete idiot.

And I like/own some Apple products too. I just only buy them when they're the best tool for the job, otherwise I go buy whatever else is.
sjwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
cmdrdredd
Lifer

Without building upon what has already been thought of or done before and refining it and building upon that base to make a better product, there would never be any new products.
cmdrdredd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Oyeve
Lifer

I wonder who will bail them out if they continue this BS and fail.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
BladeVenom
Lifer

"We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." -Steve Jobs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU
BladeVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
Phokus
Lifer

Good, i hope apple continues getting their asses kicked, then maybe they'll jump on the bandwagon for IP reform.
Why racists vote Republican
ATPN has become such a shithole, conservatives even advocate for genocide.
Phokus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Kenmitch
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyeve View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Many will defend Apple and buy their products no matter what.

The funny thing is the devoted seem to be ignoring this thread....Go figure
Old 11-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
Mopetar
Platinum Member

Quote:
Reminds me of the line from one of the newer Batman movies: "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Not to suggest that they're evil, but if you were to take where the company was at when it was founded and what it wanted to do, and where they are now, they'd be two different things entirely. Victim of their own success, just like pretty much every other company that's grown that large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyeve View Post
Bail who out? Apple?

I think they'll be fine on their own.
Mopetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
BladeVenom
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopetar View Post
I think they'll be fine on their own.
Yea, if Apple ever decides the current laws are more of a burden than benefit, they'll just pay to have them changed. Which I hope they do. Patents laws seem more of a hindrance to technology now than a benefit.
BladeVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
WelshBloke
Lifer

Guys, patent trolling is not good no matter who gets burned.

We need less stupid lawsuits not more.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
Kenmitch
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
Guys, patent trolling is not good no matter who gets burned.

We need less stupid lawsuits not more.
Patent trolling isn't a good thing but what's a company to do? You either pay for the right to use or find a work around that doesn't violate the patent(s). It's vague patents that should have never been awarded that mess things up!

Looking at the company in questions website it does look like they are willing to negotiate!

I'm pretty sure Apple knew that they were infringing on the patents from the getgo. They figured they'd take there chances in court and lost....End of sympathy towards Apple! I'm pretty sure Apple has stolen more than it's paid for in the end.

Last edited by Kenmitch; 11-09-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Kenmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
Mopetar
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeVenom View Post
Yea, if Apple ever decides the current laws are more of a burden than benefit, they'll just pay to have them changed. Which I hope they do. Patents laws seem more of a hindrance to technology now than a benefit.
If it were this easy, some other company would have already done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmitch View Post
I'm pretty sure Apple knew that they were infringing on the patents from the get go.
I'll have to look, but I recall reading in some article related to the case that Apple's engineers didn't even bother thinking about patents or what might be out there. They probably could have designed around existing patents, but I don't think they bothered to even see what those existing patents were so they ended up getting burned.

Most software patents are pretty easy to get around once you pick through the details.
Mopetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #17
Zaap
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmitch View Post
Patent trolling isn't a good thing but what's a company to do? You either pay for the right to use or find a work around that doesn't violate the patent(s). It's vague patents that should have never been awarded that mess things up!
The second you see the words: "A U.S. Court... Eastern District of Texas" you know it's Patent Troll central. The same company just filed a new lawsuit against Apple today.

http://virnetx.com/virnetx-files-new...against-apple/

"In its complaint, VirnetX seeks both damages and injunctive relief. The accused products include the iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th Generation, iPad 4th Generation, iPad mini, and the latest Macintosh computers."

But of course you won't find many people these days having much sympathy for Apple getting stung by a version of the same game they've been playing themselves.

You ask, what's a company to do? How about work to clean up the system, rather than abuse it further? Apple's lameass idea so far has been to abuse the hell of of it, with the idea that if they're the biggest shark in the filthy pool, they can eat all the other sharks. But they don't seem to have considered eventually being eaten themselves by 10,000 smaller piranhas.

So a better question is, what's a company to do when they've fostered a broken patent system that eventually backfires on them and stifles their own ability to create new products along with everyone else? What's any company to do when you can't make virtually anything that doesn't suck or that will not work in some crucial way, because 10,000 patent trolls are waiting to sue the hell out of you if you use the overly-broad concepts and ideas that do work?

Last edited by Zaap; 11-09-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Zaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
... What's any company to do when you can't make virtually anything that doesn't suck or that will not work in some crucial way, because 10,000 patent trolls are waiting to sue the hell out of you if you use the overly-broad concepts and ideas that do work?
Well said that man.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

facetime is a stolen product. i just wish apple would start inventing their own products
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
Skurge
Diamond Member

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/7/36...ounded-corners

LOL
Intel Core i5-4670K |MSI Z97-Gaming 5|32GB DDR3-1600|Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce CF [stock]|Samsung SSD 840 Evo 500GB|Corsair AX860 PSU|Corsair 750D|Windows 8.1 Pro|Samsung U28D590D|Logitech G27 Racing Wheel|Nexus 5 32GB
Skurge is online now   Reply With Quote