· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
rheinlds

Default Interested in networks as a whole, your recommendations?

Anyway, I am interested in computer networking as a whole, everything from theory to application. I have some experience on the hardware side, not much mind you but some; I do know that I am severely lacking on the software side of things however. What I would like to know would be your all's recommendations for furthering my knowledge of this field in general. Textbooks, guides, sites, etc. Anything really.

This is more for my personal satisfaction than anything required. I already got my Masters in a biomedical science and am continuing on into the health services field for a profession but computers/networks/electronics are a sort of side hobby and I do wish to increase my knowledge.

Thanks for your input all.

p.s. first time post from an anandtech lurker for years.
rheinlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
ch33zw1z
Lifer

For starters, pick up a Net+ book and read. Based on your education, this shouldn't be tough reading.

I still keep mine around, pick it up from time to time.

ch33zw1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
rheinlds

Thanks, did just that.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
unokitty
Platinum Member

Free Network + Video Tutorials

Best of luck,
Uno
unokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
m1ldslide1
Platinum Member

Maybe you could start with linux home networking, since you're not looking to build job skills. If you learn all this stuff, you can set up badass stuff at your house (and your friends houses) while learning a shit-ton of theory that is applicable to the industry as a whole. Its worth a look anyway, and see if maybe this fits the bill for you:

www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/

Crunching for Team AnandTech!
m1ldslide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
rheinlds

Thanks a bunch guys! Exactly what I am looking for. I picked up a net+ book for basics.
That video site looks great for another presentation of material and that home networking site, well, it looks like i've got a side project for the next couple of months. After that, maybe I will foray into programming a bit.

Thanks Guys!! Really looking forward to getting into the stuff!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
alkemyst
No Lifer

http://www.1examamonth.com/
Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Cabletek

Determine what you consider a network would be first. Most people mean Ethernet like they run in a commercial business but the word extends to much more than that, the fiber/UTP/microwave networks your phone/internet carriers [cell - microwave/land line UTP] uses to connect you to everyone else for example, or the fiber/coax that brings you TV/phone/internet], down where I used to work for the state of Florida they have a suncom network which is a secondary phone network they run for inter government communications, etc.. A network is merely a way to transfer data, and there is a lot of that going on.

Your software is the next, do you mean computer programming kind of software or just user setup? Or do you mean special software for like diagnostics such as ping/tracert?

Most of the people have assumed you mean Ethernet networks, and that your software is like set up and minor diagnostics, which is probably what you mean, but there is a lot more out there, lasers [OMG PEW PEW] with line of sight, can transfer insane amounts of data I stopped watching lucent probably 5-6 years ago as IMHO the limited implementation [eventually peta gonna complain about finding fried birds near their path you know] just made wireless tech like LTE a better solution. Course then you have a bunch of corporate asshats lying and manipulating the system.

http://stopthecap.com/2012/01/11/4g-...argingfailure/

There was another one the BBC did I cannot seem to find about how we do not actually have 4G, only one town is some po dunk area has it and then the government under guidance from lobbyist outlawed the tech, which was cheaper and faster than the LTE we already started. Bad old putty tats!

Last edited by Cabletek; 11-10-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Cabletek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
rheinlds

My main goal right now of course is basic wired Ethernet. cat 5e, cat 6 etc. The software on that front I am interested in is diagnostics. ping, tracert, etc commands in command prompt. Working through wireshark material as well now too. My goal is to be knowledgeable on the standards and competent in their implementation and their diagnosis.

That said I am by no means limiting myself to just wired Ethernet networks. They are just my top priority. Closely following are wired phone and coax systems. VOIP phone systems in there too. Mostly what would be found in small businesses. At this point I have built cat5e wired networks for my home and redid the entire phone distribution but the thing is while I get the hardware side and understand how the hardware should be set up I don't like not knowing the very basis of the technologies. Phone is analog signal so not much there but for wired systems I desire to know more about the low level organization. I don't feel competent currently with my systems knowledge.

Later on once I get past my goals for these systems I will probably looking into other systems with more detail. Laser, fiber optic, LTE or similar, etc. Point to point interconnects and other more novel set ups as well.

I got a curiosity for electronics as a whole but i also got targets for that curiosity. In a similar manner, I would like to learn about computer systems, chips, circuits etc on the low level. Yes, I am crazy like that. I enjoyed calculus and am a nerd.

Thanks for the link alkemyst

p.s. was aware actually that our "4G" is not technically certified as true 4G. can't remember the details of the matter though.

Thanks guys
Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member

http://www.amazon.com/Networking-Dum.../dp/0470534052

Old 11-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
rheinlds

Thanks but I don't think that would lend it self towards the culturing of an education equal to that which I desire.

I mostly came here to get reputable advice for good books and references. I could of course just look material up but I thought people here would know the good authors and good sources with clear accurate and in depth descriptions. They have delivered.

Last edited by rheinlds; 11-11-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
Cabletek

In which case any unix book worth its price will go over that for you [linix/xBSD, even irix from oh god who was that SGI? help files should have some info for you.]

You might even just look those commands up in an online unix man page set like here
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi
Cabletek is offline   Reply With Quote