· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #576
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurge View Post
The 599 msrp in Europe is all LG's doing not Google's. Google doesn't sell to those markets. They have no control over how much the phone is sold there for. LG.
Uh, yes they do. Google will be selling the Google LG Nexus 4 in several European markets (hence the existence of a European price, in Euros), and it's stores in some of those markets that have refused to sell the Nexus 4, because the Nexus 4 is available on Google Play in those same countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurge View Post
Until the Nexus line can sell 10-20million phones a quarter like the iPhone, carriers are not going to listen to a word google has to say.
Indeed. The Nexus phones are not going to sell 20 million units with a business approach such as this.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
iOS: iPad Air 2 | iPad 2 | iPhone 5s
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Android: Nexus 7 (2012)
Eug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #577
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Uh, yes they do. Google will be selling the Google LG Nexus 4 in several European markets (hence the existence of a European price, in Euros), and it's stores in some of those markets that have refused to sell the Nexus 4, because the Nexus 4 is available on Google Play in those same countries.
LG is selling it to retailers, Google is selling it from the Play Store. LG is the problem. The article you linked even mentions people complaining to LG about it, not Google.

Quote:
Indeed. The Nexus phones are not going to sell 20 million units with a business approach such as this.
Nor would they sell 20 million units using the traditional carrier subsidized approach.

I applaud Google for selling a high end, unlocked, pentaband Nexus phone directly from their site. We need more of this and less of what we currently have.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #578
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
If you were correct, then why isn't the phone available near that price, anywhere other than Google Play?

If we use the example of the Nexus 7, it was $249 at Google Play, and guess what? It was also $249 at big retailers. In fact it was cheaper at the big retailers because you didn't have to pay the shipping charge for it.

With the Nexus 4, it's a completely different story. $349 Euros, vs. $599 Euros.
Because it isn't sold by Google anywhere else besides the Play Store?
Again, Google doesn't set MSRP prices at retail stores for it's Nexus lines. It doesn't matter if it's an LG, Asus, or Samsung Nexus.

If Asus chooses to sell the Nexus 7 at retail stores for the same Google Play Store prices, that's up to them.
If they choose to increase the MSRP of the Nexus 7 to $500, again that is up to them.
They are free to do as they wish, just like LG is.

If LG wants to charge a higher price to European customers on the Nexus, that is up to them.
Euro customers already pay VAT, $10/gallon gas, and atrocious high markup costs when comparing computer parts and accessories to the US.
Why would you expect this to be different with other companies trying to take advantage of people there?

No, it was not.
At the big retailers, you have to pay sales tax. On Google Play, you do not.
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #579
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
LG is selling it to retailers, Google is selling it from the Play Store. LG is the problem. The article you linked even mentions people complaining to LG about it, not Google.
This is a Google LG product, and Google has chosen to subsidize the product (or else at best chosen to sell it at cost).

LG is definitely not to blame if they don't want to lose $$$ on every Nexus 4 they sell. It's Google's market stance here that has the retailers in a tizzy. LG just looks bad, but the ultimate culprit is Google.

But like I said, I don't care about the retailers either, as I'd personally just rather have a cheap phone. I just feel sorry for the countries that don't have Google Play. Not good PR for Google in those countries, cuz again, it's a Google LG product, not just LG's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar View Post
If Asus chooses to sell the Nexus 7 at retail stores for the same Google Play Store prices, that's up to them.
My point earlier is that if Asus is selling it at the same price Google is, then they must be making a profit on it, but I suspect that Google is either subsidizing the Nexus 4, or is at best selling it at cost.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD

Last edited by Eug; 11-09-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #580
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:

Google is only selling the Nexus at the Play Store.
LG is selling it at retailers.
Why is this hard for you to understand?
There are Google retail stores now? Since when?

Google's original intention of the "Nexus" line wasn't to sell 20 million units.
That isn't what it was created for.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #581
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
This is a Google LG product, and Google has chosen to subsidize the product (or else at best chosen to sell it at cost).

LG is definitely not to blame if they don't want to lose $$$ on every Nexus 4 they sell. It's Google's market stance here that has the retailers in a tizzy. LG just looks bad, but the ultimate culprit is Google.

But like I said, I don't care about the retailers either, as I'd personally just rather have a cheap phone. I just feel sorry for the countries that don't have Google Play. Not good PR for Google in those countries.
Google doesn't subsidize the Nexus lines.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #582
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
Google is only selling the Nexus at the Play Store.
LG is selling it at retailers.
Why is this hard for you to understand?
LG is selling a CO-BRANDED LG GOOGLE product at retailers. Why is this hard for you to understand?

Quote:
Google's original intention of the "Nexus" line wasn't to sell 20 million units.
These arguments are so strange. Flagship Android products aren't created to be sold in high numbers? WTF?

Better tell that to the Nexus 7. Maybe Google should stop selling it altogether (and they should stop Asus from selling it too) so it doesn't ever reach those types of numbers.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #583
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
LG is selling a CO-BRANDED LG GOOGLE product at retailers. Why is this hard for you to understand?
Once again... Google is selling the Nexus 4 on their Play Store. LG is the one that sells it to retailers. That's all there is to it. Got it?

Quote:
These arguments are so strange. Flagship Android products aren't created to be sold in high numbers? WTF?

Better tell that to the Nexus 7. Maybe Google should stop selling it altogether (and they should stop Asus from selling it too) so it doesn't ever reach those types of numbers.
Okay it seems you're just not going to get it, or don't want to...

The phone is not subsidized, and Google's aim isn't to sell more hardware than anyone else. They are trying to change the business model that's been in place for years and years and the carriers don't want that.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #584
Eug
Lifer

Asus Announces 1 Million Units of Google Nexus 7 Sold Per Month

Old 11-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #585
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Nexus 7 sales, 1 million units per month.

http://tellmenews.com/asus-announces.../sharon-wagner
And what exactly does a tablet have to do with a discussion about phones, carriers, subsidizing and contracts?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #586
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
And what exactly does a tablet have to do with a discussion about phones, carriers, subsidizing and contracts?
The claim was that Nexus models are not meant to sell high numbers. I say that's hogwash, at least in 2012, and the Nexus 7 is a prime example. The Nexus 7 is a Nexus model, and one of the three core models forming the Nexus line of 2012: Nexus 4, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10, which is what this thread is all about after all.

Furthermore, this is a product that Asus can make a decent profit upon at the Google Play prices. I believe this is unlikely to be true for LG for the Nexus 4, but we can agree to disagree on this point.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #587
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:

So now you get it.
Again, how does that lead to "Google is burning bridges with it's partners" like your original claim asserted if LG is the one selling it to retailers and not Google like you have finally admitted in this post?
Which partners does Google have in the retail stores?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #588
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
The claim was that Nexus models are not meant to sell high numbers. I say that's hogwash, at least in 2012, and the Nexus 7 is a prime example. The Nexus 7 is a Nexus model, and one of the three core models forming the Nexus line of 2012: Nexus 4, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10, which is what this thread is all about after all.

Furthermore, this is a product that Asus can make a decent profit upon at the Google Play prices. I believe this is unlikely to be true for LG for the Nexus 4, but we can agree to disagree on this point.
No one ever stated such a claim.
Please find a post where I made such a claim and quote it.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #589
Eug
Lifer

If you're going to belabour the point, so will I. This is a CO-BRANDED GOOGLE LG product. This is Google's baby, and they're throwing the (r)etailers to the wind with subsidized/at cost pricing at Google Play and nowhere else.

Quote:
No one ever stated such a claim.
Please find a post where I made such a claim and quote it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar
Maybe not, but as I said in my previous post, this is 2012, and Google is likely quite overjoyed by the relatively high sales of the Nexus 7.

Last edited by Eug; 11-09-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #590
Red Storm
Lifer

Taking that quote in context, we were discussing the Nexus 4 and his point is that Google is looking beyond just selling the phone. If all they wanted were sales they'd whore the phone out to every carrier in the world for whatever price and restrictions that come with it. It's about more than that, they want to change the business model from subsidized contracts locking you in to carriers to more open and cost effective. You took that and jumped to a completely different subject, tablets.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #591
Eug
Lifer

The context is about Nexus lines, in a thread about Nexus 4, 7, and 10.

You can't just cherry pick the model just because it's easier to argue about an unreleased product, in insolation. The Nexus 7 is the most recent example of the Nexus lines that has actually been released, and the results from the Nexus 7 seem to argue against some of the claims here about the as yet unreleased Nexus 4. The Nexus 7 both sells in high numbers, and has retailer pricing that is identical to Google Play pricing.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #592
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
If you're going to belabour the point, so will I. This is a CO-BRANDED GOOGLE LG product. This is Google's baby, and they're throwing the (r)etailers to the wind with subsidized/at cost pricing at Google Play and nowhere else.
More like LG is the one throwing retailers to the wind with higher prices.

Quote:
Did you read what you just quoted?
If so, you may want to work on your reading comprehension skills.

Nexus line was created by Google to serve as a development platform.

Even if it inadvertently sells 1 million, 10 million, or even 100 million units; that doesn't prove your point that because Asus sells a million Nexus 7 tablets per month that it was created for such. Neither does it disprove my statement that selling millions of units was not the original intent of the Nexus platform.
Correlation doesn't equal causation.

Would Google like to sell 50 million Nexuses? I'm sure they would.
But that wasn't the reason why they created it.

Last edited by lothar; 11-09-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #593
Rick James Astley
Golden Member

Nexus 4 is not subsidized by Google. I can't blame LG for trying the same profit margins as on the Optimus G. Just like for everything else, up to the consumers to make an informed decision. Name any product and i'll show you price variations for it. I'm amused by these attempts to paint Google as the bad guy.

Quote:
Don't sit on my horse Mr. Scott!
Rick James Astley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #594
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
Did you read what you just quoted?
If so, you may want to work on your reading comprehension skills.

Nexus line was created by Google to serve as a development platform.

Even if it inadvertently sells 1 million, 10 million, or even 100 million units; that doesn't prove your point or disprove my statement that selling millions of units was not the original intent of the Nexus platform.
Correlation doesn't equal causation.

Would Google like to sell 50 million Nexuses? I'm sure they would.
But that wasn't the reason why they created it.

Did you read the post I answered with? I said this is 2012. Google's pattern has changed. They are pushing Nexus product for high sales.

Just because the Nexus 7 doesn't agree with your theories does mean you can just ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick James Astley View Post
Nexus 4 is not subsidized by Google. I can't blame LG for trying the same profit margins as on the Optimus G. Just like for everything else, up to the consumers to make an informed decision. Name any product and i'll show you price variations for it. I'm amused by these attempts to paint Google as the bad guy.
Like I said, let's agree to disagree, but I think the Nexus 4 is either subsidized, or else at best is being sold at cost... whereas the Nexus 7 is likely not subsidized. Asus is selling the Nexus 7 at the same price as Google Play, which means likely one of two things: Either Asus is making a decent profit off the Nexus 7 at that price, and I think they are given the existence of other 7" tabs in that price range, or else Google is giving them money for every retailer-sold Nexus 7 (very unlikely).

The same thing is not happening with the Nexus 4, and there are no other comparable phones in existence anywhere in that Google Play price range.

Last edited by Eug; 11-09-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #595
IHAVEAQUESTION
Golden Member

Why are you guys keep feeding this troll?

Who cares what Google wants to do with the Nexus line. I just care how good the device is.
IHAVEAQUESTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #596
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Did you read the post I answered with? I said this is 2012. Google's pattern has changed. They are pushing Nexus product for high sales.
lol okay I give up, no point discussing it further. Feel free to believe the Nexus 4 is subsidized and Google is trying to screw all of its partners.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #597
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
lol okay I give up, no point discussing it further. Feel free to believe the Nexus 4 is subsidized and Google is trying to screw all of its partners.
Like I said several posts ago, we can agree to disagree.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #598
lothar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick James Astley View Post
Yeah, I just don't get it.
Maybe if Google had announced the Nexus 4 on the Play Store for $500-600 like the Optimus G MSRP, these people will finally shut up, but I doubt it.
They are complaining about lower prices on the Google Play Store and some are even claiming that Google is throwing it's retail partners into the wind, when in fact Google doesn't have any retail partners at all, period.

This is simply capitalism at it's finest, folks.
If the product is cheaper elsewhere, then buy it from there or import it.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #599
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVEAQUESTION View Post
Why are you guys keep feeding this troll?

Who cares what Google wants to do with the Nexus line. I just care how good the device is.
I got nothing better to do until November 13th.

Windows: Dell XPS 12, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nokia Icon, Nokia Lumia 521
Android: Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3, Nook HD+
iOS: iPad Mini with Retina, iPhone 6 Plus
Ravynmagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #600
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
Yeah, I just don't get it.
Maybe if Google had announced the Nexus 4 on the Play Store for $500-600 like the Optimus G MSRP, these people will finally shut up, but I doubt it.
They are complaining about lower prices on the Google Play Store and some are even claiming that Google is throwing it's retail partners into the wind, when in fact Google doesn't have any retail partners at all, period.
Again, it seems you haven't been interpreting my posts correctly. I never complained about the pricing. In fact I said I liked the pricing, several times, because it's a cheap flagship phone. Indeed, it is likely the phone that I as a consumer will buy, specifically because of the pricing vs. the features/specs. So you're wrong again there.

What I did say though was I found this strategy odd, because it pisses off Google's retailers.

Any any retailer selling a Google product is a Google retailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynmagi View Post
I got nothing better to do until November 13th.
Haha. P.S. This does bring up again the previous poster's question of y no pre-orders?

Last edited by Eug; 11-09-2012 at 02:19 PM.