· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Aikouka
Lifer

Default Maps, I'mma Let You Finish, But...

Weather is the worst iOS app of all time!

Sensationalism and memes aside, has anyone else had issues with terrible inaccuracy of the Weather app? It's about that time of the year when the south is in that "transition period" where it might be cool enough to put on a jacket. So, I tend to check the weather before I leave to see if I should. I checked it this morning, and the app said that it was 41 degrees outside. I walked outside with my jacket on, and I realized rather quickly that it was not 41 degrees, but more like 51. I checked it later, and the weather app now reported that it was 43F outside, and weather.com said it was 51F. It definitely felt like the latter.

51F is not coat weather*.

*Note: To avoid southerners attempting to correct this assertion, I mean for a Yankee transplant.
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
GWestphal
Golden Member

It depends on where the thermometer is located at the reporting station. Change the zip code to a nearby location. Alternately, use a different weather app that allows you to selection with higher spatial fidelity.
GWestphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
xanis
Lifer

Yeah, I haven't had much luck with the app either. I've also tried a couple different local zips (just for the heck of it) and it never seems right. I downloaded the Accuweather app and I use that.
xanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
mmntech
Lifer

Does anyone actually use the default weather app? It's always been terrible. Weather Channel, Weather Network, or Weather Underground.

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
bigrash
Lifer

I tend to use the Weather Channel app instead of the built in apple weather app.
bigrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Aikouka
Lifer

The only bad thing about switching is that the default app is built into the notification panel. Sometimes I just like to flip that down instead of tapping into an app (this could probably be solved by leaving my weather app outside of a folder). Although, one interesting thing that I've noticed is that while the current temperature reading is usually off, the listed temperature for the upcoming hour is usually correct. For example, right now weather.com says it's 66 and the weather app says it's 59, but the temperature listing for 1PM is 66.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmntech View Post
Does anyone actually use the default weather app? It's always been terrible. Weather Channel, Weather Network, or Weather Underground.
I've usually had pretty good luck with it in the past. I have noticed a few problems with it, but none of them have been related to poor temperature values:

1) Sometimes the app comes up completely blank and will never populate anything, which includes manually entered zip codes.
2) Sometimes the app takes forever to update the information for the current location weather value.
Aikouka is offline   Reply With Quote