Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > Operating Systems

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #51
DaveStall
Platinum Member
 
DaveStall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin43 View Post
It's NEVER worth the 5$ for something that should be free and will be built into windows 8 over time. NEVER buy software like this from hacks. It's free or nothing for most people.
I wouldn't exactly call Stardock "hacks".
DaveStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #52
Compman55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steltek View Post
Right-click on the desktop, select Personalize, and then select Change desktop Icons. Same as you'd do in Windows 7.

While startisback is looking very good, I've found it to be buggy -- it isn't as stable as Start8 at this point. I have no doubt the developer will get it ironed out eventually, though.
Could you be specifc to the bugs they you mention. I don;t notice any yet.
__________________
-Main: Fractal Arc Midi R2 | Z87-Pro | E3-1245V3 | 32GB | M500 240GB | Antec HCG-620m PSU | Win7x64 Pro | Dual Dell U2414H Borderless IPS Panels w/ MDS14 stand |
-HTPC: Mac mini | P7550 2.26 | 8GB | 500GB 7K500 | OS X 10.6.8 | Win7x64 Ultimate |
-Lappy: Dell Latitude D820 | C2D 2.0 | 2GB | 128GB Samsung 830 SSD | 15.4" WXGA | Win7 x86 Ultimate |
-Server: G2020 | 8GB | 500GB WD Black (OS)| 2x Seagate 4TB | 2x Segate 2TB |
Compman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #53
Steltek
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compman55 View Post
Could you be specifc to the bugs they you mention. I don;t notice any yet.
I had a few of the errors pop up that were referenced in the support/comment thread at http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/1586...s-back-beta-3/

Nothing super serious, though, and it is still beta software whereas Start8 is RTM.

I'll probably buy a copy of startisback when it goes RTM provided it is priced decently.
Steltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #54
gaidin43
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73
Default

I paid 14.99 for windows 8
gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #55
joe_H
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steltek View Post
I had a few of the errors pop up that were referenced in the support/comment thread at http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/1586...s-back-beta-3/

Nothing super serious, though, and it is still beta software whereas Start8 is RTM.

I'll probably buy a copy of startisback when it goes RTM provided it is priced decently.
StartIsBack is apparently at RC1.0, and will be $5 for 5 computers, or $3 for 2 computers.
joe_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #56
TheStu
Moderator
Mobile Devices & Gadgets
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Posts: 11,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin43 View Post
I paid 14.99 for windows 8
You're right, that completely changes my point.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenn View Post
The 6770M can play Crysis 2, for suitably small values of play
TheStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #57
gaidin43
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
You're right, that completely changes my point.
Windows 8 key has long term value to it. This tweak does not. Your point it mute. Stop trying to defend developers that shouldn't charge for simple things like this.

Again if its a massive fully functional program I understand charging for it because it has long term value to it. This start8 tweak DOES NOT and isn't worth the money people are dumping on it.
gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #58
HeXen
Diamond Member
 
HeXen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStall View Post
I wouldn't exactly call Stardock "hacks".
yeah, Stardock makes some very efficient, well coded stuff over the years, especially in comparison...

What's odd is the fact that anyone here considers $5 for something useful to be like baller money or something.
I spen $5.44 this morning on a breakfast burrito and milk....daily chump change, I mean c'mon.
__________________
Hexen was just a crappy doom clone with level designs that defy all common sense and logic to an infrastructure in a poor effort to do little more than provide a false sense of exploration in what is nothing more than lots of boxed rooms put together from some guy drawing squares on grid paper before creating it in the engine editor..... like most old 3d games did. If you tried to build such in real life, more than half the infrastructure would completely collapse in on itself.
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #59
TheStu
Moderator
Mobile Devices & Gadgets
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Posts: 11,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin43 View Post
Windows 8 key has long term value to it. This tweak does not. Your point it mute. Stop trying to defend developers that shouldn't charge for simple things like this.

Again if its a massive fully functional program I understand charging for it because it has long term value to it. This start8 tweak DOES NOT and isn't worth the money people are dumping on it.
MOOT. And no, it isn't because you are self-contradictory. You said that you should pay money for stuff that has lasting value... except your backup software of course. And why shouldn't the developers charge for their work? Just because you consider it simple? Fine, make it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXen View Post
yeah, Stardock makes some very efficient, well coded stuff over the years, especially in comparison...

What's odd is the fact that anyone here considers $5 for something useful to be like baller money or something.
I spen $5.44 this morning on a breakfast burrito and milk....daily chump change, I mean c'mon.
It doesn't apply here because you can get a trial for Start8, but I always felt the '$2.99 for an app/program? That's less than starbucks!' is a little weak if only because I know what I am getting when I spent $3 at starbucks. I may not be so satisfied with my software purchase.

But again, this one has a trial.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenn View Post
The 6770M can play Crysis 2, for suitably small values of play
TheStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #60
HeXen
Diamond Member
 
HeXen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
It doesn't apply here because you can get a trial for Start8, but I always felt the '$2.99 for an app/program? That's less than starbucks!' is a little weak if only because I know what I am getting when I spent $3 at starbucks. I may not be so satisfied with my software purchase.

But again, this one has a trial.

yes, it has trial version....and?? That's the point, how can you not know what you are getting when there is a trial version of it. regardless, like i said, its chump change, it applies to anything, especially in a thread about a $40 OS, which is cheap for Windows btw.
__________________
Hexen was just a crappy doom clone with level designs that defy all common sense and logic to an infrastructure in a poor effort to do little more than provide a false sense of exploration in what is nothing more than lots of boxed rooms put together from some guy drawing squares on grid paper before creating it in the engine editor..... like most old 3d games did. If you tried to build such in real life, more than half the infrastructure would completely collapse in on itself.
HeXen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #61
StinkyPinky
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: A sandpit with casinos
Posts: 4,934
Default

I don't miss the start button at all...I never really used it in Windows 7.

However for those that like the start menu...it's $5. 5 miserable dollars. You pay more for a donut and a coffee. Why shouldn't they make some money from it? They probably spent days getting it to work correctly and yet some people seem to get upset that they charge $5 for it. It's not like they are going the Full Adobe and charging $50 or something.
__________________
Intel i7 4790K, GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H, 16GB G.SKILL Ares DDR3 1866MHz , ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP 3GB, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB + 3 x 1TB Samsung F3, 1 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda. Windows 8.1 Pro

Late 2013 13" Macbook Pro, Intel Core i5-4258U 2.4Ghz, Intel Iris 5100 GPU, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD
StinkyPinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #62
guskline
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 3,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveybrat View Post
I personally think that Start8 is worth the $5. Best one i've tried so far in replicating the Windows 7 menu experience.

A couple friends use it as well and love it.
Just bought it for Win8 in rig 3 below. OUTSTANDING. Well worth the $5.00 to make Win 8 easier.
__________________
3930k @ 4.6 -Asus SbTh X79 - Custom WC - MO-RA3 Pro-420 + RX 360+XSPC-2 Sapphire Tri X R9-290s-CF with EK blocks/bridge -16G (4x4 quad)DDR3-2133 - Intel 530 SSD - Win 8.1 - PC P&C 1200W Silencer Mk III - BenQ BL3200PT
guskline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #63
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
mechBgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 30,699
Default

I think Microsoft should make their own add-on a la Start8, for free. But if $5 makes my computer work the way I want (until Microsoft gets their own version out), then I'm spending the $5 and not looking back. Easy call there.

My main concern is "but does this introduce any easy security exploits?" Microsoft would give their version the full security shakedown, dunno how seriously Stardock concerns themselves with security.
mechBgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #64
Linflas
Lifer
 
Linflas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 14,713
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
I think Microsoft should make their own add-on a la Start8, for free. But if $5 makes my computer work the way I want (until Microsoft gets their own version out), then I'm spending the $5 and not looking back. Easy call there.

My main concern is "but does this introduce any easy security exploits?" Microsoft would give their version the full security shakedown, dunno how seriously Stardock concerns themselves with security.
Or maybe make it a $2.99 Windows Store purchase? Depending on the blow back I would not be surprised if they fix it themselves either in a SP or in the next OS release. The reason I say depending on the blow back is because I initially hated it being gone but have pretty much learned to live without it now. Personally I am more annoyed that I can't just set the desktop as my default at start up than I am with the lack of Start button.
__________________
"God has created the cat to give man the pleasure of caressing the tiger"
Theophile Gautier
"Your politics don't piss me off. They may make me shake my head in amazement at your
blatant denial of reality, but they don't piss me off."
Amused
Linflas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #65
TheStu
Moderator
Mobile Devices & Gadgets
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Posts: 11,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linflas View Post
Or maybe make it a $2.99 Windows Store purchase? Depending on the blow back I would not be surprised if they fix it themselves either in a SP or in the next OS release. The reason I say depending on the blow back is because I initially hated it being gone but have pretty much learned to live without it now. Personally I am more annoyed that I can't just set the desktop as my default at start up than I am with the lack of Start button.
Oh, there's a way to do that with the task scheduler I think. I saw it in an article and now can't find the article. To have it so that as soon as it boots it launches explorer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenn View Post
The 6770M can play Crysis 2, for suitably small values of play
TheStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #66
Linflas
Lifer
 
Linflas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 14,713
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
Oh, there's a way to do that with the task scheduler I think. I saw it in an article and now can't find the article. To have it so that as soon as it boots it launches explorer.
I did come across that the other day, you are right it uses the task scheduler to run the shortcut to the desktop IIRC.
__________________
"God has created the cat to give man the pleasure of caressing the tiger"
Theophile Gautier
"Your politics don't piss me off. They may make me shake my head in amazement at your
blatant denial of reality, but they don't piss me off."
Amused
Linflas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #67
oldsmoboat
Elite Member
 
oldsmoboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kaliforniastan
Posts: 46,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
(as a mouse/keyboard user) How Microsoftish: sell you Win8. Then you pay even more to get it back to what you had with Win 7.
I never had 7. So it cost me $45 to upgrade from Vista.
__________________
It's not the odds that guide me, it's the stakes.
oldsmoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #68
gaidin43
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
MOOT. And no, it isn't because you are self-contradictory. You said that you should pay money for stuff that has lasting value... except your backup software of course. And why shouldn't the developers charge for their work? Just because you consider it simple? Fine, make it yourself.



It doesn't apply here because you can get a trial for Start8, but I always felt the '$2.99 for an app/program? That's less than starbucks!' is a little weak if only because I know what I am getting when I spent $3 at starbucks. I may not be so satisfied with my software purchase.

But again, this one has a trial.
I bought true image because it had value added but I will not buy an update Less than a year after I bought the program. True images policy of not upgrading unless it's bough within six months is insane. That's not the kind of customer relation or support you want to foster in your customer base.

Again the programs like start9 is a waste of money for anyone who would buy them
gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #69
Tom
Lifer
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Ohioan living in Tennessee
Posts: 13,264
Default

Sure, its worth more than a donut, but what about a lap dance ?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #70
TheStu
Moderator
Mobile Devices & Gadgets
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Posts: 11,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Sure, its worth more than a donut, but what about a lap dance ?
Are you asking if a lap dance is worth more than a donut? I guess it depends on the kind of donut and how hot the girl is.

Or is the software worth more than a lap dance? They are probably pretty crummy lap dances if they only cost $5.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenn View Post
The 6770M can play Crysis 2, for suitably small values of play
TheStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 AM   #71
Steltek
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_H View Post
StartIsBack is apparently at RC1.0, and will be $5 for 5 computers, or $3 for 2 computers.
Final version has been released, and the the price is good for what you get. However, I don't particularly like the DRM product activation scheme the developer used as there doesn't appear to be an option to deactivate a copy on one machine to transfer it to a machine with a different motherboard.

For most users, this probably won't be a big deal (i.e., 5 bucks for five licenses is chump change and a 1/5 of what Start8 costs). However, I haven't gotten around to testing how virtual machines will be affected by this activation scheme - guess we'll see.
Steltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #72
mikeymikec
Diamond Member
 
mikeymikec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 4,501
Default

I've seen 'alternate shells' for Windows before, and some of them have worked horribly - either not being properly removable or when you click the Start button you might see a flash of the old Start button underneath, then it takes five seconds for the menu to appear, or that if they've made alternate minimize/maximize/close buttons that they don't quite line up to the originals so they don't work properly, or when you click on them you'll see a flash of the original button underneath.

How do the ones people have tried for Win8 shape up in this respect?
mikeymikec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #73
gaidin43
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73
Default

Classic shell works perfectly fine with no issues and its free.
gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #74
Pardus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 7,822
Default Freeware app ViStart brings the functionality of the Windows Start Menu to Windows 8

New Start menu Windows 7 + Windows 8 Start menu Skin Even more customization!

ViStart now includes a brand new Start menu Windows 7 skin + more skins like the Windows 8 start menu Metro skin in the online gallery. Times are changing and ViStart is changing with them! When reprogramming ViStart I made a crucial decision, instead of just making a new layout like Windows 7 for ViStart I decided to make even that customizable by themers too. Themers now have complete control of the start menu giving them the power to customize all elements within ViStart, meaning there should be even more diverse start menu skins deveing developed in the community!

http://lee-soft.com/vistart/
Install Video
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #75
gaidin43
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazoo View Post
New Start menu Windows 7 + Windows 8 Start menu Skin Even more customization!

ViStart now includes a brand new Start menu Windows 7 skin + more skins like the Windows 8 start menu Metro skin in the online gallery. Times are changing and ViStart is changing with them! When reprogramming ViStart I made a crucial decision, instead of just making a new layout like Windows 7 for ViStart I decided to make even that customizable by themers too. Themers now have complete control of the start menu giving them the power to customize all elements within ViStart, meaning there should be even more diverse start menu skins deveing developed in the community!

http://lee-soft.com/vistart/
Install Video
Isn't it hard to completely remove this program and all it adds to your computer?
gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.