· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
LxMxFxD4

Default Dealing with local craigslist scammer selling counterfeit Windows & Office 2010

I recently saw an ad on my local CL offering windows 7 professional (retail) for $80. Genuinely interested I emailed him and talked him down to $60 and met him in the parking lot of a local business. Upon inspecting the package I determined it to be counterfeit, told him he had better stop doing this but that I admired the size of his cajones for scamming people in person like this. He was visibly spooked and shaken and tried to deny it. But he didn't seem to care much that I told him I was keeping the box which pretty much proved he knew it was counterfeit. I took the box home and mailed it off to microsoft last week. Maybe i'll get a legit copy as it is supposedly their policy.

So, having thought nothing more of it, I am surfing CL tonight and lo and behold tonight, I see his ad up again on CL. This time for a 3 license copy of Microsoft Office 2010 for $100.

So now i'm somewhat pissed. I am not a tattle tale by any measure and getting scammed on CL is almost expected, but this guy (or perhaps its an operation?) has some balls.

So I don't really know what to do at this point. The only information I have on him is his license plate number and the make/model of his car. He called himself George and used a throw away gmail and never gave me his phone number (mainly the reason I pretty much knew before meeting him that the software he was going to try to sell to me was fake).

I live in a major city where there is plenty of crime so i'm somewhat sure that if I called my local police station they would not care at all. What is the recommended path in dealing with this guy? And what are the chances this is some sort of organized ring and i'm only inviting trouble upon myself? I did mail off the copy to MS like I said, but i'd like to see some expediency if that is possible.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz 1.27v w/Xigmatek Gaia | 16GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 | VisionTek/Diamond 7970 x-fire @ 1100/1425 stock | Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen3 | 4TB Hitachi Striped volume | Patriot Pyro SE 120GB SSD | LG Blueray ROM | Enermax Revo 920W | HAF-X | Logitech Z-5500 | Samsung 46" TV| Catleap 27" | Dell 2412 24"

Last edited by LxMxFxD4; 11-09-2012 at 01:07 AM.
LxMxFxD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Auric
Diamond Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI
Old 11-09-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Agent11
Diamond Member

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investig...collar/ipr/ipr

Report him to your local FBI office. They will be all over him like stink on a monkey.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
Lyfer
Diamond Member

Try to sell him an iPad like the other thread.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:16 AM   #5
Raizinman
Golden Member

I was looking for a genuine version of MSOffice a while back. I searched the Internet and found a company with a good price of what they called "White Box" versions. I didn't know what that was, but after I received it, I immediately knew is was not real. I called them and asked for permission to return. They allowed the return. There are lots of people selling counterfit versions, you don't have look far.
Raizinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
aaksheytalwar
Diamond Member

If you want to buy original stuff, just buy from the developer.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
MisterJackson
Lifer

You say you're not a tattle tale, but you are in fact just that. I'm not saying what the guy is doing is right, but don't say you're not something, when clearly you are.

As for him not giving out his number, I NEVER give out my number to anyone I deal with on CL. For the simple fact of if I sell someone computer hardware, and they have my number, then some absurd sense of entitlement they have allows them to believe I'm their fucking tech support for life, free of charge.

OP, while what you're doing would normally seem honorable, you're doing it simply to gain something (hopefully a free copy of windows from MS). I just can't figure out why you'd really give a fuck otherwise.

Lastly, you piss the wrong person off doing this, and you may be putting yourself in jeopardy. Is it really worth that???
MisterJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
infoiltrator

Scammers are a plague.
They devalue the quality of life and leach off trusting people and people on tight budgets.
They commerce by individuals more difficult for legitamate sellers.

This is not "tattle tale" crap. It is personal assault.
Do your best, notify FBI website and microsoft.

This is bandit mugging your wallet, treat as such.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
BlitzPuppet
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJackson View Post
You say you're not a tattle tale, but you are in fact just that. I'm not saying what the guy is doing is right, but don't say you're not something, when clearly you are.

As for him not giving out his number, I NEVER give out my number to anyone I deal with on CL. For the simple fact of if I sell someone computer hardware, and they have my number, then some absurd sense of entitlement they have allows them to believe I'm their fucking tech support for life, free of charge.

OP, while what you're doing would normally seem honorable, you're doing it simply to gain something (hopefully a free copy of windows from MS). I just can't figure out why you'd really give a fuck otherwise.

Lastly, you piss the wrong person off doing this, and you may be putting yourself in jeopardy. Is it really worth that???
First of all, I hope you never breed because your values are completely twisted and I'd hate to see this imposed on your children.

2nd it's not tattle-tailing to report someone selling counterfeit software on Craigslist. The guy is ripping people off who think they are getting the real deal when they are obviously not. How would you feel if the "this copy may not be genuine" message popped up on your PC after you paid your hard earned cash (albeit being cheap about it)?

3rd of all you are an absolute tool if you aren't man enough to state when you sell something that it is as-is without support after sale. I've sold tons of PC equipment online and in person, and work in the IT field. I'm not fixing/helping you fix anything without getting paid. This is how I make my living.

/rantOff

Last edited by BlitzPuppet; 11-09-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: I apparently can't count.
BlitzPuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
Number1
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJackson View Post

Good old gangsta mentality.
Fuck the scammers
Fuck you.
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Number1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
sjwaste
Diamond Member

I don't think I'd put myself in danger just so Microsoft can profit a little bit more. We're not talking about a scammer knocking off some struggling artist's shit and reselling it for half the price. I'm not sure I find honor in the actions of anyone involved, really. He's selling fake software and you're trying to flip it for a freebie. It's not about keeping quiet, I just don't think a free copy of windows or getting a software scammer arrested is worth the potential of a bad guy being after you.
sjwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
momeNt
Diamond Member

OP is being just as dishonest as the scammer.

Did he honestly believe he was buying genuine software? Absolutely not. Is he trying to get a genuine copy from Microsoft now? Yes.

Might be a good time for the mod ownage to come and email microsoft a link to this thread.

Get two scammers with 1 thread.
momeNt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
jagec
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwaste View Post
I don't think I'd put myself in danger just so Microsoft can profit a little bit more. We're not talking about a scammer knocking off some struggling artist's shit and reselling it for half the price.
He's not just ripping off Microsoft, he's also ripping off everyone who buys software from him.
jagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
Auric
Diamond Member

Seems silly to waste time or take any risk at all when ebay provides "distance" and recourse, and yes comparable prices on legit software. CL is for simple stuff that cannot practically be shipped: furniture, weights, roses...