· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #501
IHAVEAQUESTION
Golden Member

Does JB 4.2 have tethering & Wi-Fi hotspot built-in? If so, do we need to root to use such feature on T-mobile prepaid?
IHAVEAQUESTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #502
basslover1
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVEAQUESTION View Post
Does JB 4.2 have tethering & Wi-Fi hotspot built-in? If so, do we need to root to use such feature on T-mobile prepaid?
It's built in and works without going through T-Mobile. However, they might notice you tethering and try to charge you for it. I've used it a few times and it hasn't been a problem but I probably wouldn't make a habit of it.

HTPC: Intel Pentium G3220 | Gigabyte GA-H81M-H | 4GB G.Skill Value DDR3 1333 | 120GB Crucial M500 SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Ceton InfiniTV 4 | Corsair CXM 430W PSU
basslover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #503
Eug
Lifer

Pocket-lint:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/60...iew-jelly-bean

Overall phone is great but camera is slow and battery life isn't very good.

----

Walt Mosseberg:

http://allthingsd.com/20121106/nexus...-improvements/

Phone is decent, including battery life. Overall an excellent value. No LTE though and Photo Sphere is stupid.

---

Trusted Reviews:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/google...e-Phone_review

Overall great phone but battery life poor, and camera is disappointing.

---

So, would an underclocking app increase battery life? if so, would that necessitate rooting?

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
iOS: iPad 2 | iPhone 5s
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Android: Nexus 7 (2012)
Eug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #504
IHAVEAQUESTION
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslover1 View Post
It's built in and works without going through T-Mobile. However, they might notice you tethering and try to charge you for it. I've used it a few times and it hasn't been a problem but I probably wouldn't make a habit of it.
So say if I root the device, T-Mobile will not be able to detect my tethering & wi-fi hotspot behavior?

Not planning to abuse the system. Just want to make sure when I am on the road, I don't pay $20 a day in hotel.
IHAVEAQUESTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #505
vshah
Lifer

Quote:
Yes it has it,and no root required. Tmobile might detect it and kick you off though.
XBL: the4ner85
vshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #506
preslove
Lifer

Quote:
So say if I root the device, T-Mobile will not be able to detect my tethering & wi-fi hotspot behavior?

Not planning to abuse the system. Just want to make sure when I am on the road, I don't pay $20 a day in hotel.
If you just use it with a tablet for email and browsing, you'll be fine. I'm on t-mo and do it all the time, but don't abuse it. Never had a problem.
What is jesus's middle name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
...I was in it for the mutton kebabs but found myself eating penis. It happens.
preslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #507
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Pocket-lint:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/60...iew-jelly-bean

Overall phone is great but camera is slow and battery life isn't very good.

----

Walt Mosseberg:

http://allthingsd.com/20121106/nexus...-improvements/

Phone is decent, including battery life. Overall an excellent value. No LTE though and Photo Sphere is stupid.

---

Trusted Reviews:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/google...e-Phone_review

Overall great phone but battery life poor, and camera is disappointing.

---

So, would an underclocking app increase battery life? if so, would that necessitate rooting?
crappy camera was a huge issue going into this phone. especially after knowing the SGS3 sets the bar for camera quality. Even HTC's One X comes close, but with iPhone 5 and Lumia 920 stepping up the game so much, I don't see how they can release a crap camera.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #508
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeRium View Post
crappy camera was a huge issue going into this phone. especially after knowing the SGS3 sets the bar for camera quality. Even HTC's One X comes close, but with iPhone 5 and Lumia 920 stepping up the game so much, I don't see how they can release a crap camera.
For $360 CAD, I don't care. My main concern is the crappy battery life. But again, for $360 I might be able to accept that, assuming it is not completely atrocious.

Maybe that's what Google is counting on.

I still want to know if underclocking might help though, esp. if it doesn't require a root.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Old 11-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #509
basslover1
Golden Member

Quote:

There may be apps that can mask the appearance that you're tethering a computer, but I don't know if they require root.

Quote:
For $360 CAD, I don't care. My main concern is the crappy battery life. But again, for $360 I might be able to accept that, assuming it is not completely atrocious.

Maybe that's what Google is counting on.

I still want to know if underclocking might help though, esp. if it doesn't require a root.
My baseline for smartphone camera is the iPhone 4, it's clearly not up to snuff compared to the newest generation of smartphone cameras, but it's the best I've personally used. As long as the Nexus 4 is as good or better than the iP4 I'll be happy.

HTPC: Intel Pentium G3220 | Gigabyte GA-H81M-H | 4GB G.Skill Value DDR3 1333 | 120GB Crucial M500 SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Ceton InfiniTV 4 | Corsair CXM 430W PSU
basslover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #510
Crow550
Platinum Member

Wonder if well get backup battery cases for the Nexus 4 like the iPhone 4 has. As examples: This 2000mAh Backup Battery Case: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

There is also this 1800mAh one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 (Says AT&T but the design should be the same across carriers right?)
Crow550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #511
Rick James Astley
Golden Member

Can anyone point to a specific reason why the battery life should be worse than Gnex? Besides being my best reference since I own the phone, the screen which draws the most power is similar in size. I have the HSPA+ version and nothing but praise for it's battery life, both under stock and custom ROM's. My GPU is clocked to 384 MHz, CPU has default clocks.

- 4.7" IPS vs 4.65" AMOLED, very similar screen size and pixel density
-28nm quad core vs a 45nm dual core
-2100 mAh Li-po vs 1850mAh Li-ion battery

Even merely repeating GNex battery life would be enough for me but on paper it's set to exceed it.

Quote:
Don't sit on my horse Mr. Scott!
Rick James Astley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #512
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick James Astley View Post
Can anyone point to a specific reason why the battery life should be worse than Gnex? Besides being my best reference since I own the phone, the screen which draws the most power is similar in size. I have the HSPA+ version and nothing but praise for it's battery life, both under stock and custom ROM's. My GPU is clocked to 384 MHz, CPU has default clocks.

Even merely repeating GNex battery life would be enough for me but on paper it's set to exceed it.
It's not worse than GNex. The reviews I read cited 3-5 hours of screen time using cellular after being unplugged 12-16 hours. That's similar to what I'm getting with GNex and official extended 2000 mah battery. BTW, GSM GNex has 1750, not 1850 mah stock battery.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #513
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:

Can anyone tell me why the Galaxy Nexus 4 performance can be worse than any other phone out there?

- Quad Core S4 vs Dual Core S4 (SGS3) vs. Quad core A9 (One X Intl).... last I checked Quad S4 > Dual S4 > Quad A9
- 2 GB RAM vs 2GB RAM vs 1GB RAM
- Android 4.2

Just because on paper the phone looks better doesn't mean it's a guaranteed win.

The Nexus 4 lost in Anand's battery tests against the SGS3 and One X. Maybe it's a fluke, but the fact that it can happen doesn't mean paper specs define the winner.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #514
Crow550
Platinum Member

I'm sure Google will optimize the OS for the phone. I don't think these were issues noticed when they tested and approved the hardware. So I'd assume some bug popped up.

Also don't forget most Android devices support USB OTG: http://revision3.com/tekzilla/wii-u-...ne-#rev3Player

and http://cnettv.cnet.com/use-usb-devic...-50128175.html

Which if you are worried about the lack of an sd card slot this will allow you to connect all kinds of storage devices like a sd card reader for instance. Then Velcro it to the back of the phone or something lol.

Last edited by Crow550; 11-08-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #515
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow550 View Post
I'm sure Google will optimize the OS for the phone.

Also don't forget most Android devices support USB OTG: http://revision3.com/tekzilla/wii-u-...ne-#rev3Player

Which if you are worried about the lack of an sd card slot this will allow you to connect all kinds of storage devices like a sd card reader for instance. Then Velcro it to the back of the phone or something lol.
If people complain about 0.5mm extra on a phone, then I don't see how they will tolerate something taped to the phone like a USB reader. The fact is those solutions aren't appropriate for a phone. Perhaps a tablet, but 99% of consumers will tell you that's unacceptable solution. The proper solution is to either bundle enough space to begin with or allow removable storage.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #516
Crow550
Platinum Member

Yeah or use cloud storage. However we have such a vast selection of phones that if the Nexus 4 doesn't work for one they can always pick something else with an sd card slot. It is what it is.

Last edited by Crow550; 11-08-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #517
Eug
Lifer

The GNex does not have good battery life.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #518
Crow550
Platinum Member

Well a backup battery is always useful: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...=10831#1083110

It all depends on what all you are doing on your phone on how fast you drain it. Some people can have a phone last all day and others much shorter.

That 9000mAh backup battery looks pretty sweet.

Last edited by Crow550; 11-08-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #519
Rick James Astley
Golden Member

Quote:
Can anyone tell me why the Galaxy Nexus 4 performance can be worse than any other phone out there?

- Quad Core S4 vs Dual Core S4 (SGS3) vs. Quad core A9 (One X Intl).... last I checked Quad S4 > Dual S4 > Quad A9
- 2 GB RAM vs 2GB RAM vs 1GB RAM
- Android 4.2

Just because on paper the phone looks better doesn't mean it's a guaranteed win.

The Nexus 4 lost in Anand's battery tests against the SGS3 and One X. Maybe it's a fluke, but the fact that it can happen doesn't mean paper specs define the winner.
I don't think Anand's numbers are the ones to go by. Verge's JT used the GNex as his personal phone for a year and he reports the Nexus 4 has better battery life. Yes, his reviews are shallower than anything Anand and the crew do but in this instance I find him more credible, both for owning the GNex and having a properly functioning unit. A unit that has to sit in the freezer to complete benchmarks is hardy a fully functioning unit.

At this point, I expect the phone to perform even better than on paper because it will be fueled by all the negativity some people are expressing against it. May even turn into a sentient, possible omnipotent being with a future update. I find it fascinating that after exploring every nook & cranny for a possible flaw, viable or not, people won't stop. I would expect that after concluding a device isn't worth it for them, people walk away and find something better instead f beating the dead horse indefinitely.

Quote:
The GNex does not have good battery life.
It does for me. I think I'm in the power user category, my coverage both home and work are less than ideal. My impressions certainly aren't applicable to every other user out there but despite relatively heavy usage, I have no problem making it through the day.

Quote:

Last edited by Rick James Astley; 11-08-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #520
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
I don't think Anand's numbers are the ones to go by. Verge's JT used the GNex as his personal phone for a year and he reports the Nexus 4 has better battery life. Yes, his reviews are shallower than anything Anand and the crew do but in this instance I find him more credible, both for owning the GNex and having a properly functioning unit.

It does for me.
You just illustrated why subjective evidence is BS. Plenty of people on this board say the Gnex sucks for battery life. Google itself says that. I'm not saying you're lying. I don't have a gnex so I won't comment, but the fact that assessments are all over the place tells you that you cannot rely on something like this.

Eug posted plenty of reviews with some users saying the battery life rocks, others saying it sucks. Anand's the only one who has objective #s at the moment. Maybe they're wrong, and that's why I think we should wait for more official numbers, but still, I can't blame anyone for being worried. Even GSMArena's "endurance rating" is a load of crap. The SGS2 loses to the SGS3 by 1 hr but for most users, the SGS3 totally outdoes the SGS2 in terms of battery. So I'm not sure what they're talking about.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #521
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
You just illustrated why subjective evidence is BS. Plenty of people on this board say the Gnex sucks for battery life. Google itself says that. I'm not saying you're lying. I don't have a gnex so I won't comment, but the fact that assessments are all over the place tells you that you cannot rely on something like this.

Eug posted plenty of reviews with some users saying the battery life rocks, others saying it sucks. Anand's the only one who has objective #s at the moment. Maybe they're wrong, and that's why I think we should wait for more official numbers, but still, I can't blame anyone for being worried. Even GSMArena's "endurance rating" is a load of crap. The SGS2 loses to the SGS3 by 1 hr but for most users, the SGS3 totally outdoes the SGS2 in terms of battery. So I'm not sure what they're talking about.
Yup that's why I'm waiting for release to see the real deal results to sell my Kindle Fire and grab one.
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #522
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
Actually the "battery life rocks" assessment is rare. It's usually OK or else poor in the reviews, which sounds like the right ballpark judging by Anand's preview.

Oh well. Battery life on my 2-year old iPhone 4 isn't good either. I'll just have to accept that my next phone won't have good battery life either. It's a real disappointment considering the other phone I was considering the iPhone 5, but I'm not gonna pay $700 for that.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #523
Rick James Astley
Golden Member

Quote:

I won't bother to look for it but I am positive I posted screens and detailed the battery life of my GNex in the last couple of months. Ultimately, I can't explain why I do and others don't.

AFAIK, Anand is the only one that had a scientific approach in his battery tests but that's irrelevant if his unit is bad, needing to sit in the freezer to complete benchmarks invalidates the tests he and Brian ran.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #524
AznAnarchy99
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow550 View Post
Yeah or use cloud storage. However we have such a vast selection of phones that if the Nexus 4 doesn't work for one they can always pick something else. It is what it is.
Idk why everyone keeps claiming cloud when there is no more unlimited internet. Google Play uses a TON of data while streaming.

For me, over estimating, say I stream 3 hours a day (not entirely true since I have some music on my phone) 2 hours commute and 1 hour gym. This is only three days a week as well. Last month my Google Play data usage according to my GN was 5.1 GB.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #525
Crow550
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznAnarchy99 View Post
Idk why everyone keeps claiming cloud when there is no more unlimited internet. Google Play uses a TON of data while streaming.

For me, over estimating, say I stream 3 hours a day (not entirely true since I have some music on my phone) 2 hours commute and 1 hour gym. This is only three days a week as well. Last month my Google Play data usage according to my GN was 5.1 GB.
There is some unlimited data plans out there.

You could download songs over Wifi hotspots.

Like I said above you have such a vast variety of phones that if the lack of SD slot is so bothersome you can get one that has it.

Or give a USB OTG cable a whirl.

Last edited by Crow550; 11-08-2012 at 11:02 PM.