· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #51
hans007
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoKingGuy View Post
After using VW's touchscreen Navi, Acura's touch screen Navi, MB COMAND and iDrive, i'd have to say the "wheel mouse" idea is amazing. Its so much easier to use while driving than having to glance at the screen.

I can do most things by muscle memory.

i think probably the best systems are the knob based ones like MMI or idrive as turning the wheel is really nice (i dont like the square 4 way hat switch things in say a lexus CT or HS as much).

one that is a little innovative is the touch pad in addition to wheel that audi puts on the A6 and up and will eventaully come down to the lower cars. not having to actually touch the screen and being able to keep you rhand on a knob / trackpad seems a lot better than reaching up to touch a screen that has no tactile feedback at all. touchscreen based systems oddly are all the rage again now with the american makes (ford sync, cue, etc), when lots of manufacturers had them 7-8 years ago and got rid of them for the knobs and controllers (acura used to be touch, and lexus used to be as well, it still is on the IS infact since the IS is old).

I think the capacitive touch screen / button trend is disturbing honestly , its just not that easy to use while driving a car and having to look at where your finger is. the auto press who seems to cheer the CUE or whatever the system in the tesla model S is are crazy (the model S system seriously is probably a danger to drivers everywhere, and they dont even have voice control in that car)
Old 11-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #52
Throckmorton
Lifer

The ATS is big... I thought it was supposed to be a compact sport sedan. It does look nice though. I took this pic outside a dealer

Throckmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #53
Ferzerp
Diamond Member

redacted!
Ferzerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #54
Capt Caveman
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH13 View Post
Agreed. Especially if you spring for the premium audio package (if available).
I have a XC60 with the standard audio. It's nice but I think the Acura has a better one. And if you compare the premium offerings, it's not even close the Acura is much better. Most reviews I read from owners on the audio system is that they also find the audio lacking compared to the competition.

Don't know if it's a concern, but Volvo does have the best warranty hands down. 5yr/50000 miles where everything is covered except tires with all regularly scheduled service maintenance covered during that time. Brought mine in for it's 7,500 service a couple of months ago and it included having all of my wipers replaced.

Interiors are nice but not as nice as the competition imho. But they do have great seats.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #55
dbk
Lifer

get the lady a volvo..
Old 11-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #56
KIAman
Diamond Member

This is for your wife?!? Get her a Camry or an Accord and call it a day.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #57
phucheneh
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Caveman View Post
I have a XC60 with the standard audio. It's nice but I think the Acura has a better one. And if you compare the premium offerings, it's not even close the Acura is much better. Most reviews I read from owners on the audio system is that they also find the audio lacking compared to the competition.

Don't know if it's a concern, but Volvo does have the best warranty hands down. 5yr/50000 miles where everything is covered except tires with all regularly scheduled service maintenance covered during that time. Brought mine in for it's 7,500 service a couple of months ago and it included having all of my wipers replaced.

Interiors are nice but not as nice as the competition imho. But they do have great seats.
Service plan is different from a warranty. And 50k warranties are pretty much the norm on luxury brands.

Volvo does have excellent audio, especially their base offerings. I dunno who does their overpriced name-brand audio anymore (seems like it use to be JBL or HK). Hopefully not Bose...their expensive, optional downgrades are pretty hilarious.

The Bimmer and the Infiniti also have decent stereos. I can't give an opinion on Acura, but Honda stereos have always eaten balls. Toyota is similarly weak. Same with GM (the foremost purveyor of Bose trash and otherwise 'just throw some speakers somewhere' setups).

The luxo lines generally follow the economy lines. Nissan's cheap cars have decent stereos (for a cheap car). Infiniti is better.

Chevy and Toyota have trash stereos. Caddy and Lexus have trash stereos with slightly more components.
phucheneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #58
hans007
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phucheneh View Post
Service plan is different from a warranty. And 50k warranties are pretty much the norm on luxury brands.

Volvo does have excellent audio, especially their base offerings. I dunno who does their overpriced name-brand audio anymore (seems like it use to be JBL or HK). Hopefully not Bose...their expensive, optional downgrades are pretty hilarious.

The Bimmer and the Infiniti also have decent stereos. I can't give an opinion on Acura, but Honda stereos have always eaten balls. Toyota is similarly weak. Same with GM (the foremost purveyor of Bose trash and otherwise 'just throw some speakers somewhere' setups).

The luxo lines generally follow the economy lines. Nissan's cheap cars have decent stereos (for a cheap car). Infiniti is better.

Chevy and Toyota have trash stereos. Caddy and Lexus have trash stereos with slightly more components.
i had a TSX and i thought the stereo was pretty good.

lexus can be good if you get the mark levinson. its probably at least segment competitive though with the standard one.