Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Merchandise and Shopping > Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #26
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
I have no idea what I'd do with it but I kind of want one anyway
You'd touch it. Lots.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
jalaram
Lifer

Just bought it. Planning to use it with win8.

"My friends call me Keith, but you can call me John."-Keith Moon
Heatware: 2xx-0-0
jalaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #28
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
You'd touch it. Lots.
as if there's something ELSE I need to spend time touching a lot
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #29
natenut

is this a price mistake? the only other 1900x1200 i found on newegg was 1600 bucks. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824331046

needless to say, i ordered one.
natenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
bbhaag
Golden Member

Not a price mistake. Usually these types of monitors are insanely expensive.
The original link to the ELO monitor for $200 sold for $1700 new.
bbhaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #31
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

Wow, this new deal may sway me. I don't need one, but I did buy Win8 and I don't need that either...

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #32
KingFatty
Platinum Member

Does anyone know why it is a refurb? What caused it to become refurb status?
KingFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #33
ivwshane
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoprofundo View Post
Similar one here... http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...-2411-NOBASE-R

Anyone know how this compares other than that relative lack of inputs?
How do you know this is an IPS panel? And how do we know the type of touchscreen it is?

Nevermind, I was on the mobile site which didn't have all the details. Ordered one! Sounds like a good match for windows 8.

Last edited by ivwshane; 11-09-2012 at 03:27 AM.
ivwshane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #34
Cardio

Anyone receive the second deal monitor yet? What do you think of it?
Ordered 2 but they are somewhere in FedEx land without much movement.
Cardio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #35
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

Ordered 2nd deal. Not yet received.

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #36
jalaram
Lifer

Got shipped notice, but that's it. Expected delivery for Thursday.

"My friends call me Keith, but you can call me John."-Keith Moon
Heatware: 2xx-0-0
jalaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #37
ivwshane
Diamond Member

Mine should be here tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #38
EliteRetard
Diamond Member

So how do these touch screens work anyway, like a second mouse? I have a friend who plays lots of RPGs and often wondered if you could game with a touchscreen. When you have to quickly select multiple targets with multiple spells and such there's a lot of mouse flailing trying to keep up, but if you could just click the screen that would be much faster and more efficient.

And for FPS games, could you just touch the screen to center your aim and fire at different enemies (hold your finger on the screen for continuous fire)? While still using the keyboard to move around? Could you still use your mouse somehow (two pointers maybe, or change the mouse movement/buttons to other uses?), or does the screen simply replace it (like mice on laptops where the touch pad just fights it)?

How durable are these things, can they take a good stab or do you have to treat them carefully? Do they scratch easy (can they tolerate "swiping", since they're plastic)? How accurate are they (any jumpiness, ghost touches, issues with clicking on fast moving or small items, can they handle rapid touch inputs all over the screen)? Any idea what the response time might be on something like this? Do touch screens have additional lag over a similar model without touch? IPS panels are usually the slowest LCDs right? So would this automatically make it unsuitable for any kind of gaming?

I strongly prefer my high end CRT over most any LCD I've seen thus far (and 4:3 FTW!), but the the higher quality of an IPS with 19x12 at 85Hz (can it really do it, or is that just a theoretical max that's unusable or may damage the unit?) along with the touch capabilities may convince me to get one or two if I don't miss the deal.

Edit:

Could this also be used in clone mode and simply as an input device (like a giant touch pad but you can look down to see what your clicking on)? I think that could be useful when using a larger display (50-100") as your main monitor and you need to sit further back.

Last edited by EliteRetard; 11-12-2012 at 04:14 PM.
EliteRetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #39
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

EliteRetard:

Usually these emulate a mouse at the most lose sense of the word. Knowing how programming works makes it a little easier to understand, but basically when you "touch" it's the same as clicking on a spot on your screen with your left mouse button. When you touch and drag, it's the same as click LMB + drag... the OS constantly updates the position of the "mouse" as you go. The only difference with a touch screen is there's no way to track when there's "no mouse click" movement.

You should still be able to use your mouse, but it will be awkward - kind of a "dualing mouses" setup. When you touch the screen, it SHOULD relocate the mouse cursor.

Durability: These particular units from Geeks.com are designed for and sold as POS system displays. That means they should be fairly durable units given the environments they are to be used in. No idea to be sure however, since I don't have one.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #40
bassoprofundo
Golden Member

Expecting the two I ordered to show tomorrow... Unfortunately, I think they'll be staying in the boxes until I can come up with stands
bassoprofundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #41
natenut

i cant wait to play minesweeper on this bad boy.
natenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #42
bbhaag
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteRetard View Post
So how do these touch screens work anyway, like a second mouse? I have a friend who plays lots of RPGs and often wondered if you could game with a touchscreen. When you have to quickly select multiple targets with multiple spells and such there's a lot of mouse flailing trying to keep up, but if you could just click the screen that would be much faster and more efficient.

And for FPS games, could you just touch the screen to center your aim and fire at different enemies (hold your finger on the screen for continuous fire)? While still using the keyboard to move around? Could you still use your mouse somehow (two pointers maybe, or change the mouse movement/buttons to other uses?), or does the screen simply replace it (like mice on laptops where the touch pad just fights it)?

How durable are these things, can they take a good stab or do you have to treat them carefully? Do they scratch easy (can they tolerate "swiping", since they're plastic)? How accurate are they (any jumpiness, ghost touches, issues with clicking on fast moving or small items, can they handle rapid touch inputs all over the screen)? Any idea what the response time might be on something like this? Do touch screens have additional lag over a similar model without touch? IPS panels are usually the slowest LCDs right? So would this automatically make it unsuitable for any kind of gaming?

I strongly prefer my high end CRT over most any LCD I've seen thus far (and 4:3 FTW!), but the the higher quality of an IPS with 19x12 at 85Hz (can it really do it, or is that just a theoretical max that's unusable or may damage the unit?) along with the touch capabilities may convince me to get one or two if I don't miss the deal.

Edit:

Could this also be used in clone mode and simply as an input device (like a giant touch pad but you can look down to see what your clicking on)? I think that could be useful when using a larger display (50-100") as your main monitor and you need to sit further back.
I tried playing Minecraft by touching the screen and it was a disaster. I had no control at all. My character just went crazy haha. I don't really game it's my sons copy but I would say it is a no go for gaming. Atleast FPS's anyway.
bbhaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #43
Zargon
Lifer

damnit OOS
Chill(Server): Thuban x6@3.3 wH50 8gb ddr3 4x1.5tb ESXi
Zargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #44
killster1
Diamond Member

waited till i had extra $ to buy now out of stock**** maybe its good that its out of stock already own 4 24" mva but no touch screens** How about the one that is "similar" for 163? hmm wonder about usb addon to regular 24" if it be any diff or look diff etc**
Old 11-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #45
bassoprofundo
Golden Member

I got my two from the 2nd deal today. They both appear to be in great shape with no pixel issues. I got the touch screen drivers installed but had relatively little time to play with them before my significant other got home. Had to stash them away in the attic since I don't have stands so 1) It didn't leave a mess in the office and 2) So it wasn't apparent that I made the purchase. It'll be much easier to blend in as a "No... Um... Nothing's different on my desk" kind of thing if they just replace the existing monitors
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #46
ivwshane
Diamond Member

I got mine today and it had no bad pixels but it does have a slight issues on the very right edge. It's not really noticeable so I'll be keeping it. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the touchscreen on it as I feel it does affect the screen quality but I'll wait until I get a stand for it to see if it's of any use.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #47
bassoprofundo
Golden Member

What are folks doing for stands? After a ton of searching, I finally ordered two of the monoprice ones linked here, but I had a heck of a time finding something that was an actual stand (can't do desk mount without getting rid of the overhead hutch on my desk) that could support the weight of these things and wasn't also $150. I know it says these are for up to 23" but I'm hoping they'll fit the bill since I'm not going to be working these in portrait mode anyway.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #48
chanfo

got this stand: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/58-16580

Haven't received my monitor yet, due this Friday. Too am hoping SO will not notice I purchased yet another electronic item. It's replacing a soyo topaz 24" so there might be a chance I could switch this without her ever noticing.
chanfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #49
ivwshane
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanfo View Post
got this stand: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/58-16580

Haven't received my monitor yet, due this Friday. Too am hoping SO will not notice I purchased yet another electronic item. It's replacing a soyo topaz 24" so there might be a chance I could switch this without her ever noticing.
I don't that stand will work. It says it's for 75mmx100mm and the monitor uses 200mm x 100mm or 100mm x 100mm.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #50
chanfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivwshane View Post
I don't that stand will work. It says it's for 75mmx100mm and the monitor uses 200mm x 100mm or 100mm x 100mm.
should fit as standard vesa is 75x75 or 100x100. That is probably just mislabeled. I will find out tomorrow when I pick it up. Also there is a 10% coupon floating around which I googled.
chanfo is offline   Reply With Quote