· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Kalessian

Default Rotator cuff injury?

I recently decided to combine power cleans with overhead press instead of doing them separately to save time using up the power rack at my gym. I'm new to cleans and I was getting very tired near the end and the last two reps I ended up pressing with my hands much wider on the bar than normal. It was 105 lbs which isn't my normal ~125 lbs that I press in the rack but I still did too much it seems. Those last two reps caused a bit of pain so I called it quits altogether.

The day after (yesterday) was pretty rough, could barely do anything without shoulder pain. Today is better, but now I notice my shoulder keeps popping during movement, something it never did before. There's pain whenever I try to lift my arm above my head, especially if I put any weight on it like grab a coat off a hook. The pain is dead center in the front or my shoulder and is somewhat sharp.

I've never injured my shoulders before and was wondering if there's something I should do or just lay off it for a while. Going to the gym today but just to squat and run.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Zivic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalessian View Post
I recently decided to combine power cleans with overhead press instead of doing them separately to save time using up the power rack at my gym. I'm new to cleans and I was getting very tired near the end and the last two reps I ended up pressing with my hands much wider on the bar than normal. It was 105 lbs which isn't my normal ~125 lbs that I press in the rack but I still did too much it seems. Those last two reps caused a bit of pain so I called it quits altogether.

The day after (yesterday) was pretty rough, could barely do anything without shoulder pain. Today is better, but now I notice my shoulder keeps popping during movement, something it never did before. There's pain whenever I try to lift my arm above my head, especially if I put any weight on it like grab a coat off a hook. The pain is dead center in the front or my shoulder and is somewhat sharp.

I've never injured my shoulders before and was wondering if there's something I should do or just lay off it for a while. Going to the gym today but just to squat and run.
this isn't your rotator cuff. more likely it is your bicep tendon. I have had issues with mine. actually, just strained my right side this week. epic bench press and all . if it was your rotator cuff, it the pain would be on the back side of your shoulder

the clicking you are feeling is the tendon not tracking properly. hammer curls will help with that part. best thing I have found for discomfort is taking a light weight and hanging your arm off the side of your bed and doing small circles. this will help muscles pull it back into place. don't do overhead, windmill type movements in hopes of loosening it up.
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Kalessian

Bicep tendon, ok, thanks. Do you lay on your stomach or back on the bed? I stretched it while doing squats (had to to get my elbows that far back) and it feels a lot better now. It hurt so bad yesterday and with the popping I was really nervous I screwed up big time.

Worst part is I just signed up for a month at a nice indoor rock climbing place and now I won't be able to go for a bit. First world problems etc.

Last edited by Kalessian; 11-08-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Kalessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Zivic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalessian View Post
Bicep tendon, ok, thanks. Do you lay on your stomach or back on the bed? I stretched it while doing squats (had to to get my elbows that far back) and it feels a lot better now. It hurt so bad yesterday and with the popping I was really nervous I screwed up big time.

Worst part is I just signed up for a month at a nice indoor rock climbing place and now I won't be able to go for a bit. First world problems etc.
on your stomach. just take it easy for on it for a while with anything over head
Zivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
SociallyChallenged
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivic View Post
this isn't your rotator cuff. more likely it is your bicep tendon. I have had issues with mine. actually, just strained my right side this week. epic bench press and all . if it was your rotator cuff, it the pain would be on the back side of your shoulder

the clicking you are feeling is the tendon not tracking properly. hammer curls will help with that part. best thing I have found for discomfort is taking a light weight and hanging your arm off the side of your bed and doing small circles. this will help muscles pull it back into place. don't do overhead, windmill type movements in hopes of loosening it up.
Popping or clicking is more likely indicative of labral damage, especially with anterior (front) shoulder pain. Yes, it could be biceps, but the most common mechanism of clicking is usually labral in nature. That's something you might wanna wait on and then go see the orthopedist about if it doesn't go away.
I am a doctor of physical therapy. Information I provide is based on subjective report alone. This frequently results in speculation and, as a result, may not always be accurate. Thus I am not liable for any action taken based on information provided.

Now offering physical therapy consultation services via Skype, e-mail, and phone. Please PM me for details.
SociallyChallenged is online now   Reply With Quote