· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Lifted
Diamond Member

Default iphone sound/notification profiles

Please tell me there is an app that allows me to set different profiles for sounds and notifications.

With the Blackberry, just plugging in the charger would put the phone into a bed profile, which was configurable to only have calls ring and the alarm sound, if that's what you wanted. This is the same thing I and the rest of the staff need in the office. We don't need to hear everyone's phone making noises every 30 seconds when a new email comes in (we're sitting in front of our computers after all), but we would like to hear phone calls and possibly even TXT notifications.

Hopefully I'm just missing something obvious and this support exists in iOS 6, but an app would be fine as well.

Edit: Also some staff would like to have the alarm power on the phone. Doesn't look possible with the built in alarm, and I doubt Apple would allow 3rd party apps that level of access to the phone, but I figured I'd ask here if this is possible.

Edit 2: Phone vibrates when TXT and emails are received while on a call. How to stop that insanity?

Last edited by Lifted; 11-10-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Lifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
TheStu
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

iOS 6 has the Do Not Disturb feature. That will silence everything but phone calls, and I mean everything. It won't even vibrate or light up if there is a text. Or at least mine didn't in a quick test.
TheStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Lifted
Diamond Member

Thanks Stu. We saw that but it also stops TXT and nother notifications which we want.

Another issue to add to the list: the phone vibrates when you receive a TXT while on a call, with the phone to your ear. Surely this is a bug or there is some way to stop that from happening???

Thankfully we have VZW iPhones so no simultaneous voice and data as the phone would be vibrating against our heads all day with the volume of emails we receive.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
TheStu
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted View Post
Thanks Stu. We saw that but it also stops TXT and nother notifications which we want.

Another issue to add to the list: the phone vibrates when you receive a TXT while on a call, with the phone to your ear. Surely this is a bug or there is some way to stop that from happening???

Thankfully we have VZW iPhones so no simultaneous voice and data as the phone would be vibrating against our heads all day with the volume of emails we receive.
Yea, I have noticed the vibrating thing, I wonder what happens if you flip it to audible.

On the flipside, the number of complaints I have with my work issue BB... there are always 2 sides of the fence.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Lifted
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
Yea, I have noticed the vibrating thing, I wonder what happens if you flip it to audible.

On the flipside, the number of complaints I have with my work issue BB... there are always 2 sides of the fence.
It is on audible.

I had plenty of complaints with the BB too, but those were mostly because it was slow and useless for anything other than messaging and calls.

How can the iPhone be considered a smartphone if it's the only phone I've ever used that has these idiotic default settings that apparently can't even be changed? This must be the dumbest smartphone on the market.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
TheStu
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Quote:
It is on audible.

I had plenty of complaints with the BB too, but those were mostly because it was slow and useless for anything other than messaging and calls.

How can the iPhone be considered a smartphone if it's the only phone I've ever used that has these idiotic default settings that apparently can't even be changed? This must be the dumbest smartphone on the market.
Ok, just to make sure we're talking about the same thing... the vibrate switch on the side. You have it flipped to not-vibrate?

Regarding the iPhone being a dumb smartphone... maybe? I don't know, I haven't used any Android devices for any amount of time, how are they at these sorts of things? And IIRC, my WP7 device was actually behind the iPhone in some of these regards (don't think it vibrated while I was on the phone though).

And honestly, I usually use my phone for less than 2 hours of talk time a month, so the vibrate while on the phone thing... well it happens disproportionately often, because if I am on the phone I am usually trying to coordinate a bunch of people, which means I am getting texts from other parts of the group.

When you say you want the alarm to power on the phone... how would the alarm work if the phone is off?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Lifted
Diamond Member

Quote:
Ok, just to make sure we're talking about the same thing... the vibrate switch on the side. You have it flipped to not-vibrate?
Correct.

Quote:
When you say you want the alarm to power on the phone... how would the alarm work if the phone is off?
I guess the same my computer, and blackberry, and all previous non-smartphones were able to do it. Since it's a smartphone (basically a computer) I'd assume it's probably something in the bios, when it's off, that wakes up the phone first (I believe something in there is keeping track of time even when it's off, or perhaps that's the problem with the iPhone), but I'm not a computer engineer so I'm just guessing that's how it's done.

Last edited by Lifted; 11-08-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
TheStu
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Quote:
Correct.

I guess the same my computer, and blackberry, and all previous non-smartphones were able to do it. Since it's a smartphone (basically a computer) I'd assume it's probably something in the bios, when it's off, that wakes up the phone first (I believe something in there is keeping track of time even when it's off, or perhaps that's the problem with the iPhone), but I'm not a computer engineer so I'm just guessing that's how it's done.
Now, what is the advantage of leaving the phone off until the alarm fires? Data usage, or just to ensure that NO ONE can reach you? Because in this case, Do Not Disturb's lack of flexibility would come in handy, where you could set it on a schedule and have it not let any calls through.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Lifted
Diamond Member

Quote:
Now, what is the advantage of leaving the phone off until the alarm fires? Data usage, or just to ensure that NO ONE can reach you? Because in this case, Do Not Disturb's lack of flexibility would come in handy, where you could set it on a schedule and have it not let any calls through.
Two situations I've personally dealt with:
  1. Significant other doesn't want phone going off at all during the night (or you being in contact with your job in any way).
  2. Sleeping away from home and have no charger with you. Happens often with people who travel a lot (lose charger, it breaks, outlet in hotel doesn't work, etc.). So you turn off the phone during the night and have it turn back on at 7am or whenever the alarm goes off. Some people just don't want a chance of it going off at all while they sleep, even vibrating.
I guess juggling the settings in DND back and forth during the day and night will have to suffice for everyone... at least until they find another phone that gives them some control over these functions.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
TheStu
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Quote:
Two situations I've personally dealt with:
  1. Significant other doesn't want phone going off at all during the night (or you being in contact with your job in any way).
  2. Sleeping away from home and have no charger with you. Happens often with people who travel a lot (lose charger, it breaks, outlet in hotel doesn't work, etc.). So you turn off the phone during the night and have it turn back on at 7am or whenever the alarm goes off. Some people just don't want a chance of it going off at all while they sleep, even vibrating.
I guess juggling the settings in DND back and forth during the day and night will have to suffice for everyone... at least until they find another phone that gives them some control over these functions.
You can set a schedule on Do Not Disturb though that may just be a daily, no fine adjustments. But the alarm will go off even in DND mode. It is a bandaid
Old 11-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Lifted
Diamond Member

I noticed that emails cause vibration when on a call as well. I was just on a call for an hour and the phone vibrated maybe 15 times. Even worse is that it seems the motor that does the vibrating is up near the top of the phone as I can actually hear the motor whirring away (and feel the thuds against my ear).