· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #26
darkewaffle
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
Bullshit, prior to the decriminalization in Denver you could go to jail for having a joint on you, after it the cops didn't do anything because they simply didn't have the power to do so without getting State or Federal authorities involved. So unless you were busted by a state trooper in Denver you were good to go.

Now its state wide. Very big difference. Those of us in Denver know what I'm talking about.
Ok, so Denver was behind the times up until that point

In both Philly and Pittsburgh I've had friends smoke extensively with little issue and it's not even decriminalized here. It's just that people don't really care in many 'minor' incidents unless you really press your luck.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #27
Squisher
Lifer

Did the US Congress already legalize medical marijuana?

If so, this could help in the fight.
A couple of goofs.
Squisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #28
Corporate Thug
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOGZINN View Post
The most important thing this will do is force a national conversation on the topic. Until now this has been a subject that politicians avoided as to risky. Now it is likely to be a wedge topic in the next election cycle.
I would love to see one of the parties (lets face it, only the Democrats would even considers it) take it on as a states rights issue.
How is this a state issue? The FDA is a federal administrative organization in charge of drug regulation and the Fed Gov has jurisdiction based on the commerce clause...change has to come from the Feds.

Member, Official AnandTech Bar Association

Corsair 700D ll i2500k@ 4.5 Ghz ll Asrock z68 gen3 ll Sapphire 7870XT Tahiti @ 1200/1600 ll Corsair A70 ll XFX 650W Black Edition ll 8GB Corsair Vengeance ll Dell 2707 WFP
Corporate Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #29
SMOGZINN
Diamond Member

Quote:
Agreed. Others in this thread are still way off base when discussing the changes that will be made locally. I think we'll see quite a few changes and soon
I'm hoping we will also see a few 'me too' like we saw for medical marijuana and concealed carry. Once other states saw that it didn't cause mass havoc and was actually beneficial they went ahead and adopted a similar policy. I think in a few years we will see 3-4 other states follow suit.
"The open society, the unrestricted access to knowledge, the unplanned and uninhibited association of men for its furtherance? These are what may make a vast, complex, ever-growing, ever-changing, ever more specialized and expert technological world nevertheless a world of human community." - J. Robert Oppenheimer
SMOGZINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #30
Ns1
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate Thug View Post
How is this a state issue? The FDA is a federal administrative organization in charge of drug regulation and the Fed Gov has jurisdiction based on the commerce clause...change has to come from the Feds.
the many states with MMJ laws will disagree with you.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #31
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

Quote:
Which is why it doesn't happen. Again, you wouldn't know that unless you followed it. There are stories in the news all the time, in 2008 when it was first legalized in Denver several stories of minor possession charges were tried in Federal court and thrown out. They have better things to deal with
You keep saying that... "You wouldn't know unless you followed it."

Dumbass, we HAVE been following it. This is exactly what the federal government has been waiting for.

Yes, you're absolutely right. The minor possession cases did nothing because the scope of them were meaningless. The difference is now the law enables EVERYONE to be classified as possession with intent to sell a Schedule 1 substance. This is a huge no-no, and you better believe that the DEA is going to be dragging Colorado and Washington to court in no time.

So yes, you're right, the feds can't police every person individually. But they're going to make your state's life a living hell now.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #32
zinfamous
No Lifer

Quote:
That is what they said when we were one of the 1st state's to legalize medical Marijuana. That was in 2000. You clearly are in no position to pretend that you know or understand what you are talking about.
what do you mean? exactly what SunnyD said has been going on in CA since this state passed medical MJ. Dispensaries have been shut down by the feds--especially under the current Admin--and each one spends years in public litigation and courts just trying to operate regularly.
mentally he's such a klutz
his head is made of 50 butts
zinfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #33
Ns1
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous View Post
what do you mean? exactly what SunnyD said has been going on in CA since this state passed medical MJ. Dispensaries have been shut down by the feds--especially under the current Admin--and each one spends years in public litigation and courts just trying to operate regularly.
and for each one being shut down/sued, 5 more pop up.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #34
AMDZen
Lifer

Quote:
I agree that this has happened in California, however it hasn't happened in Colorado. California draws the federal attention away from everyone else. They barely have had time to shut down a few dispensaries there. Colorado companies have been left alone

Gaming Computer - i5 - 2500k @ 4.6 Ghz | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 | MSI GTX 480 | Win7 x64
AMDZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #35
Corporate Thug
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
the many states with MMJ laws will disagree with you.
Ummm, yeah...I've followed closely and been involved in MMJ litigation in CA. There is absolutely NO clarity whatsoever as to what law apply...Los Angeles County is shutting down shops left and right and the Obama administration has made it clear that it will continue to crack down on MMJ in CA, CO and WA.

Corsair 700D ll i2500k@ 4.5 Ghz ll Asrock z68 gen3 ll Sapphire 7870XT Tahiti @ 1200/1600 ll Corsair A70 ll XFX 650W Black Edition ll 8GB Corsair Vengeance ll Dell 2707 WFP
Old 11-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #36
zinfamous
No Lifer

Quote:
not up here.

Berkeley--of all places--now has, officially, ZERO dispensaries. The last and only one was shut down about 6 months ago.

Oakland also doesn't reflect the trend in SoCal and especially Denver when their law first passed, and you'd see a dozen of them each week (which was beyond stupid, really).
Old 11-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #37
AMDZen
Lifer

Quote:
Ummm, yeah...I've followed closely and been involved in MMJ litigation in CA. There is absolutely NO clarity whatsoever as to what law apply...Los Angeles County is shutting down shops left and right and the Obama administration has made it clear that it will continue to crack down on MMJ in CA, CO and WA.
Well, they haven't yet so...we'll see won't we

Gaming Computer - i5 - 2500k @ 4.6 Ghz | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 | MSI GTX 480 | Win7 x64
Old 11-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #38
Ns1
Lifer

Quote:
Yes, but what I'm saying is change didn't come from the feds. Change came from the voters/states. Feds still classify MJ as Sch1 (aka no valid medical use)

There is no clarity but that doesn't stop me from finding 5 dispensaries within a 1 block radius of my house (true story)

Quote:
not up here.

Berkeley--of all places--now has, officially, ZERO dispensaries. The last and only one was shut down about 6 months ago.

Oakland also doesn't reflect the trend in SoCal and especially Denver when their law first passed, and you'd see a dozen of them each week (which was beyond stupid, really).
Doesn't Oakland have a couple of city approved dispensaries?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #39
Corporate Thug
Lifer

Quote:
that's not the point. Dispensaries should not operate in a "quasi - legal" penumbra. The only way they will be able to operate like an other legal business is if the Feds legalize.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #40
zinfamous
No Lifer

Quote:
I agree that this has happened in California, however it hasn't happened in Colorado. California draws the federal attention away from everyone else. They barely have had time to shut down a few dispensaries there. Colorado companies have been left alone
and has been said before--this is an entirely new can of worms. Full on legalization. ...yikes. Just wait. The only thing that helps you guys is that you aren't recognized as a trafficking center. If anything, that's what brings all the attention to CA.

But this is so very different. I'm all for it, mind you (but I still contend that this sort of thing needs to be adopted on a much broader basis, rather than create tiny islands of legality for it to ever become established), but I fully expect the Feds to put all their energy into coming after CO and WA.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #41
AMDZen
Lifer

Quote:
that's not the point. Dispensaries should not operate in a "quasi - legal" penumbra. The only way they will be able to operate like an other legal business is if the Feds legalize.
They can, will and they are though. Your opinion doesn't reflect that of the average consumer here in Colorado. As long as they can make money they will.

As a consumer, thats all I care about. I don't care if a couple people are "shut down" to try and send a message, I just want to walk into a store and buy a "pack of joints" or something. That would be sweet

Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #42
PricklyPete
Lifer

I don't expect to find marijuana shops down the street (although we have a ton of medical ones)... My purpose for voting for the measure is to get people thinking and hopefully other states following suit. At some point, with enough states backing it, the federal government will lax its laws.

I do not smoke, but I think the ban on marijuana just creates violence and unneeded government opportunities.

"I just wish, that at road speeds, it would occasionally put its hand down the front of my trousers and have a little rummage." - Clarkson on the GT-R
PricklyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #43
AMDZen
Lifer

Quote:
and has been said before--this is an entirely new can of worms. Full on legalization. ...yikes. Just wait. The only thing that helps you guys is that you aren't recognized as a trafficking center. If anything, that's what brings all the attention to CA.

But this is so very different. I'm all for it, mind you (but I still contend that this sort of thing needs to be adopted on a much broader basis, rather than create tiny islands of legality for it to ever become established), but I fully expect the Feds to put all their energy into coming after CO and WA.
As a voter this is the only option I've been given. The only way MJ will be legal is if enough states do it, the feds won't have a choice. Thats how it will happen, mark my words.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #44
Ns1
Lifer

Quote:
no arguments there. but we got to this point cuz of states/voters, not feds.

feds got their heads up their ass - no valid medical use my ass.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #45
zinfamous
No Lifer

Quote:

Doesn't Oakland have a couple of city approved dispensaries?
Yes indeed. but even "famed Oaksterdam" has been going through some serious pressure very recently. I'm only saying that up here, you don't see them spreading like cancer as you do in SoCal and Denver. And many of these (LA/Denver) very clearly skirting the state/county-established regulations...so I never have sympathy when these idiots get shut down and boo-hoo about it.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...145765015.html
Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #46
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

Quote:
As a voter this is the only option I've been given. The only way MJ will be legal is if enough states do it, the feds won't have a choice. Thats how it will happen, mark my words.
That's called "revolution". Hasn't happened in quite some time. Unfortunately, there's too many stupid people left in the country (including the politicians) that outweigh the amount of people with common sense.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #47
zinfamous
No Lifer

Quote:
I agree, and I hope so. I voted for it in 2010 here, but we know what happened with that (legalization squashed by, guess who? yep--the established dispensaries. go figure)

My concern is that when you localize it--you create amsterdam. A pretty seedy and nasty place where, regardless of how this issue truly is harmless, all of the detritus that tends to come with it will certainly sift down and concentrate into these areas (not the traffickers--no profit. Just the scum).

Why not have a nationwide, organized campaign that gets these bills on, say, 15-20 states, all at once in the same election year? Only voters can do it, yeah, but I'd like to see a much higher concentration of support to neutralize the inherent crime and "unseemliness" that one simply as to accept when these laws pass locally.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #48
AMDZen
Lifer

Quote:
Yes indeed. but even "famed Oaksterdam" has been going through some serious pressure very recently. I'm only saying that up here, you don't see them spreading like cancer as you do in SoCal and Denver. And many of these (LA/Denver) very clearly skirting the state/county-established regulations...so I never have sympathy when these idiots get shut down and boo-hoo about it.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...145765015.html
Agreed on that. The dispensaries that have been shut down here were done so because they can only be "X" distance from a school and things like that

Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #49
1sikbITCH
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesbudt View Post
Pretty much. The federal government won't be allowing this anytime soon, unfortunatly.

So basically all this is, is a dummy law for the time being.
Not even. For the first time in our nation's history 50% of Americans support full legalization.
A whopping 70% support medical marijuana use.

Those that oppose? 65 and older. As they die off their voting power disappears and it's game over. Plus the old white people are being replaced by Hispanics, and as far as I can tell Hispanic people do not have the same stigma attached to pot that our society has had.

The snowball is definitely growing and picking up speed. It's already showing up in the 17 states that decriminalized pot and the 2 new states that have now flat out legalized small amounts. Within 10 years I'd bet it will be legal to some extent in most states, and constituent pressure will continue to mount on the officials we are sending to Washington every year.

The old boys club and the religious freaks will scrape and claw and cling to prohibition but in the end they'll die and the laws will change.

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #50
sactoking
Diamond Member

How is this any different than Alabama declaring the Affordable Care Act to be void in that state?
sactoking is offline   Reply With Quote