Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Health and Fitness

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
TechBoyJK
Lifer
 
TechBoyJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 13,385
Default Morning 'breakfast'

I'm curious what you guys think of my breakfast.

My dietary goals are to simply have something healthy that will give me energy for the day and suppress my hunger as long into the day as possible.

(2) packets of Carnation Instant Breakfast w/ 2 cups of skim milk
http://www.carnationbreakfastessenti...Nutrition.aspx

(1) banana
(1) cup of orange juice (if I have time I blend the two as a smoothy)
(1) Men's multivitamin
(1) fiber supplement (half daily dose)
(1) glucosomine vitamin (daily dose)
(1) fish oil (daily dose)

That's it. I usually down the vitamins with the glass of Instant Breakfast. Then drink the OJ and have the banana. (sometimes if I'm running late I don't have the banana until I'm on my drive to work)

What do you guys think? I feel good about it. I get most of my daily vitamins from the actual vitamins as well as the Instant Breakfast.

This happens around 7am, and I usually don't get hungry until around 11am or noon.

Thoughts?
__________________
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
You're being difficult. You have not provided us with the information we need to troubleshoot the problem. You have not given us errors, you're vague about where the problem is, you are not answering the questions we ask. In short, you DON'T KNOW HOW TO THINK. Give back that piece of paper you think makes your intelligent, apologize, destroy your computer and go live in the woods kid.
TechBoyJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Saint Nick
Lifer
 
Saint Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Ooze
Posts: 17,692
Default

Yuck

You should just make a whey shake with some oats in it. "OMG CARBS"
__________________
Be kind; everyone is in the midst of a struggle. | heatware (64-0-0)
Saint Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
highland145
Lifer
 
highland145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: S.C.
Posts: 21,485
Default

More protein.
highland145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member
 
M0oG0oGaiPan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: dust2
Posts: 7,061
Default

I usually munch on almonds. I think eating anything or not eating anything is ok if you're going with the IIFYM approach. Guys doing IF usually skip breakfast and they're ok once they get over the adaptation phase.
__________________
Digital Game Deals | Magicka Tips | BF3 Name = w00py69
M0oG0oGaiPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Malfeas
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 822
Default

I would kill myself if I ate that.

I eat 3 egg scramble with cheese, 2 slices of bacon, ham steak or sausage patty, and a small bowl of oatmeal topped with frozen berries (mixed). I eat this at 5AM and don't get hungry until noon.
__________________
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Epicurus
Malfeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
smilingbuddha
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Forget the supplements. If you dont like the eggs, bacon, cheese, or oatmeal approach then eat a good salad with some extra veggies and maybe some chicken plus a banana (or something similar). Body needs breakfast and I've found that salad works well especially if you add some extras - but go light on the dressing.

It's weird at first but works well.
smilingbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
surfsatwerk
Diamond Member
 
surfsatwerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,328
Default

Carton of eggs fried in the grease from a packet of bacon.
__________________
I do cocaine!
surfsatwerk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member
 
M0oG0oGaiPan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: dust2
Posts: 7,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingbuddha View Post
Forget the supplements. If you dont like the eggs, bacon, cheese, or oatmeal approach then eat a good salad with some extra veggies and maybe some chicken plus a banana (or something similar). Body needs breakfast and I've found that salad works well especially if you add some extras - but go light on the dressing.

It's weird at first but works well.
lol wow impressive lurking skills
__________________
Digital Game Deals | Magicka Tips | BF3 Name = w00py69
M0oG0oGaiPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
highland145
Lifer
 
highland145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: S.C.
Posts: 21,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0oG0oGaiPan View Post
lol wow impressive lurking skills
2nd
highland145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
mple
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OC, California
Posts: 276
Default

Breakfast? Nah

I do enjoy a hearty stack of pancakes around 4pm though.
mple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
blackdogdeek
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: terra firma
Posts: 12,508
Default

seems like a lot of sugar and not a lot of protein or fat.

i usually have 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, maybe with some guacamole and salsa or i might have 3 egg white omelet with veggies and 3 strips of bacon.
__________________
12-0-0 | girls
blackdogdeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
iluvdeal
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,809
Default

You need to focus more on getting your nutrition and vitamins from fresh, real food and less from packaged powders and supplements that expire in 2014.
iluvdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
smilingbuddha
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highland145 View Post
2nd

LOL, I made an account to get into a few giveaway things that happen every so often, never bothered to post a comment until now.
smilingbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
smilingbuddha
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Though I have been reading this site for about 10 years now.
smilingbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
highland145
Lifer
 
highland145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: S.C.
Posts: 21,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingbuddha View Post
LOL, I made an account to get into a few giveaway things that happen every so often, never bothered to post a comment until now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingbuddha View Post
Though I have been reading this site for about 10 years now.
Welcome, noob.



highland145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #16
TechBoyJK
Lifer
 
TechBoyJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 13,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdeal View Post
You need to focus more on getting your nutrition and vitamins from fresh, real food and less from packaged powders and supplements that expire in 2014.
I don't really have time to put together a full breakfast.

I could add a scoop of protein shake mix to my instant breakfasts to get more protein.
__________________
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
You're being difficult. You have not provided us with the information we need to troubleshoot the problem. You have not given us errors, you're vague about where the problem is, you are not answering the questions we ask. In short, you DON'T KNOW HOW TO THINK. Give back that piece of paper you think makes your intelligent, apologize, destroy your computer and go live in the woods kid.
TechBoyJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
Sid59
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 11,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdogdeek View Post
seems like a lot of sugar and not a lot of protein or fat.

i usually have 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, maybe with some guacamole and salsa or i might have 3 egg white omelet with veggies and 3 strips of bacon.
Usually this for me or better .. last night's leftovers.
Ground turkey, kale, and 2 overeasy eggs.
Sid59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #18
Murloc
Diamond Member
 
Murloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 3,860
Default

I just eat a yoghurt with cereals and get to 12 o'clock fine.
Murloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
KIAman
Diamond Member
 
KIAman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,092
Default

Best way to supress hunger is to eat more protein and fat. Change your OJ to Milk instead. OJ goes through my body in 10 minutes, it does not last very long and even Milk only lasts so long.

Change your carnation breakfast to whole oatmeal or other wholegrain cereals. Any liquid food goes through your system much faster than real food, from my experience.

My breakfast is usually 2 servings of oatmeal with a chopped up banana and about 3 glasses of milk and a serving of yogurt. On the weekends I eat an omlette (5 eggs) and bacon.

With that, I don't feel an ounce of hunger well into noon.
__________________
Heatware
Paypal Verified
KIAman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #20
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member
 
M0oG0oGaiPan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: dust2
Posts: 7,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIAman View Post
Best way to supress hunger is to eat more protein and fat. Change your OJ to Milk instead. OJ goes through my body in 10 minutes, it does not last very long and even Milk only lasts so long.

Change your carnation breakfast to whole oatmeal or other wholegrain cereals. Any liquid food goes through your system much faster than real food, from my experience.

My breakfast is usually 2 servings of oatmeal with a chopped up banana and about 3 glasses of milk and a serving of yogurt. On the weekends I eat an omlette (5 eggs) and bacon.

With that, I don't feel an ounce of hunger well into noon.
He's already mentioned he doesn't feel hungry until 11am - 12pm so I don't think satiety is an issue. He already uses 2 cups of skim milk in his shakes.
__________________
Digital Game Deals | Magicka Tips | BF3 Name = w00py69
M0oG0oGaiPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
KIAman
Diamond Member
 
KIAman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0oG0oGaiPan View Post
He's already mentioned he doesn't feel hungry until 11am - 12pm so I don't think satiety is an issue. He already uses 2 cups of skim milk in his shakes.
Of course. He stated he wants to satiate his hunger as long as possible so he needs to increase protein and fats. If his current meal does the trick until noon, then adding more protein and fats will work even better.

I was giving an example of my personal breakfast but I digest my food VERY fast. So even a breakfast rich in protein and fat and by noon my stomach is already complaining.
__________________
Heatware
Paypal Verified
KIAman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member
 
M0oG0oGaiPan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: dust2
Posts: 7,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIAman View Post
Of course. He stated he wants to satiate his hunger as long as possible so he needs to increase protein and fats. If his current meal does the trick until noon, then adding more protein and fats will work even better.

I was giving an example of my personal breakfast but I digest my food VERY fast. So even a breakfast rich in protein and fat and by noon my stomach is already complaining.
Oh ok missed that part of his post. Yeah more protein/fat would do the trick. Solid food would be better. Could probably switch the skim milk for 2%/whole milk to increase satiety.

You could also get some ground flax seeds or a little bit of oats and shake it up in your drink. The seeds would give you something to chew on and the fat would keep you fuller longer. That's if you intend to keep doing the shakes. That's what some guys on the extreme liquid diets do.
__________________
Digital Game Deals | Magicka Tips | BF3 Name = w00py69
M0oG0oGaiPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.