· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Goothry

Default Dark Souls PC version - worth it or no?

I've played the 360 version and love this game. I was wondering if anyone out there can shed some light on if this game is good to buy for pc or not? I heard that people were starting to mod the game for higher resolutions and better textures, and those things peaked my interest, and obviously the new content not yet available on console.

Bottom line - Worth the buy or no?
Goothry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
KaOTiK
Lifer

We have a big thread on it. Short answer, because of the mods that fix the res and stuff, Dark Souls for the PC is the best version of the game by far.
KaOTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
clok1966
Golden Member

I dont have it (for PC) but am a HUGE fan.. from my understanding much like you the texture mods are quite nice and play well.. the added content is worth a look but is not a huge deal. BUT its almost universal , you need a gamepad to play it well, it does not play well with a mouse keyboard combo.

So if you dont already own, are willing to do some modding, and have a gamepad it sounds like the PC version my be better.. no gamepad and PC vanilla... not worth it.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=29525">HEAT</a>
clok1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Goothry

Ok, good stuff guys! Yeah, I wouldn't try to play it on keyboard + mouse. I can't see it playing very well. I think I'll definately have to check it out now!
Goothry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
ArchAngel777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goothry View Post
Ok, good stuff guys! Yeah, I wouldn't try to play it on keyboard + mouse. I can't see it playing very well. I think I'll definately have to check it out now!
I was on the fence for this game, but saw it on sale for like... $20. I find the game very fun. I am glad that I took the plunge.

The game is so hard, yet so rewarding. Although the game does get easier as you learn how to control your guy. Definitely get a gamepad.

So there is a WORLD of fun waiting and it truly is... Great sense of humor too.

THE BA Summoning a friend. Not cool, this game's network code is terrible. Combined with GFWL makes it even worse. If you are looking for a co-op experience, get ready to be MASSIVELY dissapointed. I know I was... Ok, not only can it take a while for you to see your 'buddies' sign, but you may have to try a BUNCH of times for it to actually work because he will frequently get 'summoning failed'. I went into the router and verified all the ports were forwarded properly to both mine and my brothers machine and we just have so many problems we gave up after an hour. Funny this is this... We know it isn't both of our networks because we were BOTH INVADED! He got killed and I was in a 7 minute duel with a backstabber and eventually beat him. It was a close and very fun fight. He even used the tactical fact that i had mobs in front of me so I could not pursue him whe he almost died the first time... Then he ran into a group of mobs (I guess they don't agro the invader) healed up and came back at me again. That was frustrating. Very fun game though.

Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz|Asus P6T Deluxe V2|12GB DDR3|nVidia 480 GTX 1GB @ 822/1644/2000|Samsung 830 256GB SSD
ArchAngel777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Ferzerp
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goothry View Post

Bless you. Some folks, because consoles happen to use joypads, think joypads are inferior in all cases.

This is just false. Every game type has a more suitable input method, and 3rd party meleers are pretty much the ideal scenario for a joypad.

These same people don't try to play flight sims with KB+M, but make it something that they associate with console, and suddenly they lose all critical thinking skills. (I'm pretty sure PC joypads (not joysticks), were available before the PS dual shock, or the N64.
Ferzerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
ArchAngel777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferzerp View Post
Bless you. Some folks, because consoles happen to use joypads, think joypads are inferior in all cases.

This is just false. Every game type has a more suitable input method, and 3rd party meleers are pretty much the ideal scenario for a joypad.

These same people don't try to play flight sims with KB+M, but make it something that they associate with console, and suddenly they lose all critical thinking skills. (I'm pretty sure PC joypads (not joysticks), were available before the PS dual shock, or the N64.
The gamepad works good for slower paced game like Dark Souls. However, I would NEVER EVER EVER use the gamepad for a First Person Shooter. That is truly inferior.

For a game like Dark Souls, Oblivion, basically 3rd person hack and slash, I prefer the gamepad.

Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz|Asus P6T Deluxe V2|12GB DDR3|nVidia 480 GTX 1GB @ 822/1644/2000|Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Old 11-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member

A friend loved this game on Xbox. I would get it for PC if it went on sale for 10.00 or less, (
maybe steam Christmas sale??)

Kind of sucks if I have to buy a controller for one game though. Everything I play now I use KB/mouse.
frozentundra123456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
mindcycle
Golden Member

No buy for me since it uses GFWL and I refuse to buy games using that malware. If that's not a concern for you i'd suggest buying it. I played it on PS3 and it was a great game.

Last edited by mindcycle; 11-06-2012 at 06:29 PM.
mindcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
smackababy
Lifer

I think it is worth it. I bought it when it was released and have been a fan of the Souls series since Demon's Souls. The mods and fixes make this such a better version. Plus, this game needs to do well so From will do concurrent development for PC game.

Also, the MP is supposed to be like that Arch. They stated they prefer if you were "alone" and had that feeling of being the only person, until someone invades. The summoning is random and meant to be hard to summon a specific person.
------------------------
XBL: the wrong panda
smackababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
thejunglegod

well honestly. i put away the game cos of its goddam difficulty and my refusal to waste time redoing the same stuff over and over after death. not the game's fault but entirely mine. Guess i dont have the similar kinda patience levels i used to earlier.

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android
Old 11-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
PhatoseAlpha
Platinum Member

It's the definitive version, yes.

And as for the controls....once I adjusted to the wonky mouse deceleration, it was actually far easier for me with mouse & keyboard then a game pad. Situational Awareness is vital in this game, and mouse look is just much faster then gamepad look. Plus, analog movement controls always feel like 50 different shades of 'not the way I wanted', and this game has plenty of places when a misstep kills you, so that worked out better too.

That said, if you buy it.....stay undead as much as possible, especially in the early areas. There are plenty of low level darkwraiths now, who will trash you with endgame equipment if you go human.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
you2
Diamond Member

I've just started this game and one aspect that is making me unhappy is no quest log or method to review conversations
you2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
TheUnk
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejunglegod View Post
well honestly. i put away the game cos of its goddam difficulty and my refusal to waste time redoing the same stuff over and over after death. not the game's fault but entirely mine. Guess i dont have the similar kinda patience levels i used to earlier.

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android
IMO the difficulty is what makes these games so great. It's nice to not have a game hold your hand the entire way and give you a cookie and a big hug when you die.
TheUnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
KaOTiK
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by you2 View Post
I've just started this game and one aspect that is making me unhappy is no quest log or method to review conversations
There really isn't any quests. It is basically go explorer, find, kill, and survive.
KaOTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
smackababy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaOTiK View Post
There really isn't any quests. It is basically go explorer, find, kill, and survive.
Yeah there really isn't any quests. Just areas and big monsters to kill or get killed. There is a lo of depth in the leveling and item system, however, don't worry about that on your first playthrough.
------------------------
XBL: the wrong panda
smackababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
Anteaus
Platinum Member

Quote:
You just quoted the plot for Minecraft also!
Anteaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
you2
Diamond Member

But I did that I went explored; found some ghosts and well er uh killing didn't seem to work very well. Are you sure we are suppose to explore, find and kill? I mean I'm not even sure these ghosts can be killed by peewee me.

Quote:
Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #19
TheUnk
Golden Member

Quote:
But I did that I went explored; found some ghosts and well er uh killing didn't seem to work very well. Are you sure we are suppose to explore, find and kill? I mean I'm not even sure these ghosts can be killed by peewee me.
Absolutely. You just stumbled across an area that is too hard for you yet, go back later when you are stronger.

It's not Oblivion where you can go where you want when you want. Enemies aren't going to look at you and say "oh he's only level 10, let me put away my good gear and go die". They are gonna straight up murder you.
TheUnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #20
PowerYoga
Diamond Member

Ah, ghosts. Congratulations, you've found new londo ruins. You actually can't kill any of these things unless you have some special holy weapons or use some curse thing, forgot the name.

There's a flamekeeper's soul there that you can use to beef up your estus flasks early though. Worth a quick run through. This guy described it very eloquently though.

Quote:
They are gonna straight up murder you.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #21
Dumac
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteaus View Post
You just quoted the plot for Minecraft also!
Except Dark Souls has a lot of subtle lore and character background if the player is interested in learning about it.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
Anonemous
Diamond Member

Yea been reading up on the lore. A lot of subtle hints of the backstory are given in the scenery/dialogue/item descriptions.
Anonemous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #23
you2
Diamond Member

Well yea I kind of figured that out; but I guess what I am asking is how should I have known i was entering an area that I had no business entering? I mean everything up-to the ghost was one hit micky mouse and then wham!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnk View Post
Absolutely. You just stumbled across an area that is too hard for you yet, go back later when you are stronger.

It's not Oblivion where you can go where you want when you want. Enemies aren't going to look at you and say "oh he's only level 10, let me put away my good gear and go die". They are gonna straight up murder you.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #24
ArchAngel777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well yea I kind of figured that out; but I guess what I am asking is how should I have known i was entering an area that I had no business entering? I mean everything up-to the ghost was one hit micky mouse and then wham!!!!!
I find that is part of the fun... I don't think you can know unless you read a walkthrough or beat the game before. If you see a new enemy, I'd back up a bit so if you get outclasses, you can come back, get your souls and leave. I made it all the way the catacombs. I thought the mobs were difficult while getting there, but I could beat them. I thought it was just hard... Well, I get to the catacombs and crap is casting some vicious stuff at me! I high tailed it out of there. Then a friend told me that is pretty late in the game... So, now I know.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #25
you2
Diamond Member

Hum. I wish there was a journal to record my mistakes You know a history of who said what and where you died. I guess folks don't play this game (new) without dying Well I think I'll start over and go up this time