· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #26
badb0y
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
How dominant are they now, when their competitor has 75% global market share?
Interesting, now pull out them profit reports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeyton View Post
Apple is dying a slow death.

Stories like this make me wish they could speed up the process.
LOOOOOL, you sound like those Republicans who live in an alternate reality.
Originally Posted by Neil deGrasse Tyson
God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.
badb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #27
Spoooon
Lifer

Quote:
I think most people don't understand what it means that this is a design patent - it's not the same thing as a "regular" patent (a utility patent). Design patents allow a company to get an exclusive right to the form of a functional object so that a 3rd party can't make a different device with identical appearance (well, not legally at least). Almost every company that puts the time into making a distinctive shape for their devices gets one: Microsoft has one for the Xbox, George Lucas got one for Yoda etc.

Design patents are extremely narrow - you have to do your level best to copy them exactly in order to be found in infringement. Plus, they specifically cannot cover functionality - that has to be covered by a utility patent, if it's going to be protected. This design patent only protects a "portable display device" (that's the wording in the Patent itself), and only one with those specific design elements that are shown in the Patent Figures.

I'd be shocked if Apple hadn't applied for design patents for all of its devices. This really isn't an issue.
Doesn't seem to be a big deal.

- M4H
Flame on!
current desktop
Spoooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #28
Zaap
Diamond Member

Does anyone really believe Apple would go after the Galaxy Note and Jellybean because of legitimate patent infringement, and not because they just want to stifle their competition via litigation?

Anyone who can't admit that Apple is abusing the patent system/courts with all this crap instead of having to actually compete in the marketplace, is just an Apple shill with their head up their ass.

Apple sues Samsung for EVERY popular flagship device and they always dredge up bullshit reasons that everything they can't compete with is somehow a copy. What device could Samsung have copied of Apple's with the Galaxy Note even if they had wanted to? That great 5" iPhone 6 with the stylus? Oh wait, no such thing exists. Doesn't matter- sue anyway.

Jellybean? Well, it exists and only Apple should be able to make a mobile OS. So sue.

I don't know about all the gloom and doom for Apple, but they are definitely cruising for some form of well-deserved corporate bruising.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #29
Phynaz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Which competitor has 75% of the global market? Is it Samsung? HTC? Motorola?
I saw good resolutions pics of the so called lunar module, heck, that s quite a piece of garbage with badly jointed metalic and litteraly hammered plates, seriously, you think that this piece of metalic junk actualy landed on the moon..??
Phynaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #30
Zaap
Diamond Member

I'm guessing maybe he meant Google?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #31
jpeyton
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by badb0y View Post
Interesting, now pull out them profit reports.
You mean the one where Samsung pulled in $7+ billion last quarter?

Quote:
LOOOOOL, you sound like those Republicans who live in an alternate reality.
The writing is on the wall: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology.../07/peak-apple

Couple that with news of Android grabbing 75% (and rising) of the smartphone market and 40% (and rising) of the tablet market, and you can see why Apple's stock hit a 6 month low today. The bullish analysts who were predicting a $1000/share price before the iPhone 5 launch seem a little silly, with new predictions seeing the stock hitting the $425/share range before it stops dropping.

Last edited by jpeyton; 11-07-2012 at 07:11 PM.
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #32
Rick James Astley
Golden Member

Why is it perceived that Apple eventually being surpassed in profits means instant doom for Apple? Just because Samsung may post better numbers doesn't instantly mean Apple's numbers will be horrible. Going by that logic, all Android OEMs should have perished long time ago when the gap between Android and IOS was much bigger. Growth rate may decline further but that ecosystem is pretty much indestructible. Even if Cook & crew tried to destroy IOS or did absolutely nothing to keep it up to date, it would take them 3-4 years to stop the Apple train. Market share is a concern, Apple will fight the decline any way they can, they know they can't dominate for ever but they really don't need to. I'm not buying any of their products again and there is quite a few things I dislike about them, some of those passionately but I simply don't see any reason why they will stop making money.

Quote:
Don't sit on my horse Mr. Scott!
Rick James Astley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #33
zaydq

Quote:
Split among many manufacturers who don't make the OS themselves.

Apple builds the hardware and software, they may not have market majority, but the picture is a a lot brighter than 75% Android vs 15% iOS.
zaydq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #34
stormkroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phokus View Post
I want to punch apple in the face. Since apple is a corporation and corporations are somehow people, this should be possible, right?
It's all symbolism, so maybe... Don't quote me on this, but my lawyers said we can symbolically punch them in the face. I don't know what this would look like, but I will pay you if you do it.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #35
badb0y
Diamond Member

Quote:
You mean the one where Samsung pulled in $7+ billion last quarter?
Yes, now post what HTC made and what Motorola made and add it all together since you guys like to add all the market share numbers together why not the profit numbers too?

Now look up what Apple made.

Quote:
The writing is on the wall: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology.../07/peak-apple

Couple that with news of Android grabbing 75% (and rising) of the smartphone market and 40% (and rising) of the tablet market, and you can see why Apple's stock hit a 6 month low today. The bullish analysts who were predicting a $1000/share price before the iPhone 5 launch seem a little silly, with new predictions seeing the stock hitting the $425/share range before it stops dropping.
Apple stock was inflated to begin with, if you are so sure about this prediction you would be shorting the shit out of Apple stock right now.
Originally Posted by Neil deGrasse Tyson
God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.
badb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #36
Phynaz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaap View Post
I'm guessing maybe he meant Google?
What is Google's market share of the worldwide smartphone market? Low single digits I would guess.
I saw good resolutions pics of the so called lunar module, heck, that s quite a piece of garbage with badly jointed metalic and litteraly hammered plates, seriously, you think that this piece of metalic junk actualy landed on the moon..??
Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #37
Zaap
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phynaz View Post
What is Google's market share of the worldwide smartphone market? Low single digits I would guess.
OS-wise, 75%.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #38
Mopetar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
Design elements included a rectangular shape with rounded corners pretty much along with the placement of the speaker etc blah blah. Thanks for confirming what was said all along.
I'm sure if you keep repeating it long enough it will eventually become true.

Quote:
I think there's a difference between Android and Google Android. I think most of the Android phones sold in China don't use Google's services so it's difficult to determine how you'd count them.

Aside from that, I think what Phynaz was attempting to get it as that comparing Android to Apple is a flawed analogy. You can compare Android to iOS, but when looking at Apple the company, it doesn't make much sense to compare them against anything other than another company.
Mopetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #39
Zaap
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopetar View Post
I think there's a difference between Android and Google Android. I think most of the Android phones sold in China don't use Google's services so it's difficult to determine how you'd count them.
What's with all this twisting into pretzels rather than just admit the 75% figure was most-likely referring to Android marketshare? Google, along with every other company, has made huge pushes into the Chinese market which is poised to be among the most profitable in the world for obvious reasons of its sheer size potential. What sort of insanity says they "can't count that"?

Quote:
side from that, I think what Phynaz was attempting to get it as that comparing Android to Apple is a flawed analogy. You can compare Android to iOS, but when looking at Apple the company, it doesn't make much sense to compare them against anything other than another company.
Sorry, but none of this makes any sense. He asked what was Google's marketshare of the world smartphone market. ONCE AGAIN: OS-wise, 75%

So is Apple seeking to sue over Jelly Bean the candy, or Jelly Bean the Google company's product, or is everyone "not counting that" for the sheer what-the-hell of it?
Old 11-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #40
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeRium View Post
seriously no one patented rectangles with rounded corners. stop with the same BS that gets spewed all over the place.
Lolz
Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #41
Chocu1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshBloke View Post
POW! Damn, that is too much. God help us all. How could this even get approved?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #42
zsdersw
Lifer

Quote:
Does anyone really believe Apple would go after the Galaxy Note and Jellybean because of legitimate patent infringement, and not because they just want to stifle their competition via litigation?

Anyone who can't admit that Apple is abusing the patent system/courts with all this crap instead of having to actually compete in the marketplace, is just an Apple shill with their head up their ass.

Apple sues Samsung for EVERY popular flagship device and they always dredge up bullshit reasons that everything they can't compete with is somehow a copy. What device could Samsung have copied of Apple's with the Galaxy Note even if they had wanted to? That great 5" iPhone 6 with the stylus? Oh wait, no such thing exists. Doesn't matter- sue anyway.

Jellybean? Well, it exists and only Apple should be able to make a mobile OS. So sue.

I don't know about all the gloom and doom for Apple, but they are definitely cruising for some form of well-deserved corporate bruising.
This, 100%.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand -Milton Friedman

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
zsdersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #43
Oyeve
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocu1a View Post
POW! Damn, that is too much. God help us all. How could this even get approved?
Apple probably throws cash around.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #44
openwheel
Golden Member

Quote:
seriously no one patented rectangles with rounded corners. stop with the same BS that gets spewed all over the place.
You might want to double check that. Apple has been awarded such patent.

There is nothing wrong with Apple suing, the real problem is the cult behind Apple that cheers for this kind of behavior.

I get it. That MBP or Iphone is sexy and others envy such high end fashionable gadget, but that doesn't mean Apple is the second coming and one must hop the fruit wagon and discredit everyone else.

Fact is, Apple is not that innovative. Never have, and likely never will.

Last edited by openwheel; 11-08-2012 at 09:04 AM.
openwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #45
Phynaz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yep, but Apple is a company, Android isn't.

Therefore saying Apples' competitor has 75% market share is false. I was just pointing out Batty's logical error.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #46
grkM3
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phynaz View Post
Yep, but Apple is a company, Android isn't.

Therefore saying Apples' competitor has 75% market share is false. I was just pointing out Batty's logical error.
google makes android so its part of googles company,they are one and the same!
8GB Gskill 2200 7-10-7-1t
Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
2 GTX 560TI in SLI
grkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #47
preslove
Lifer

Quote:

This. If you think Apple is legitimately suing in this case, you're just a pathetic fanboy. This is indefensible.
What is jesus's middle name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
...I was in it for the mutton kebabs but found myself eating penis. It happens.
preslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #48
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheel View Post
You might want to double check that. Apple has been awarded such patent.

There is nothing wrong with Apple suing, the real problem is the cult behind Apple that cheers for this kind of behavior.

I get it. That MBP or Iphone is sexy and others envy such high end fashionable gadget, but that doesn't mean Apple is the second coming and one must hop the fruit wagon and discredit everyone else.

Fact is, Apple is not that innovative. Never have, and likely never will.
Well yes, this just hit the news November 7. I posted on November 6. Furthermore, people have been screaming rounded rectangles for ages and it's not something that just started yesterday. Prior to the recent news, there wasn't a patent on rounded rectangles, and people just kept distorting it that Apple was patenting shapes and square and rectangles and crap.

It's like watching the 2012 campaigns when the candidates just kept repeating the same things over and over and over again despite being factchecked. THAT was what I was getting at.

Still, the new patent isn't an award on rounded rectangles. It's a portable media device that has rounded rectangles. Apple haters keep pointing out that rounded rectangles are owned by Apple (prior to this patent being awarded) as if they have a patent on the SHAPE itself, meaning ANYTHING that doesn't have sharp edges is in trouble. Yeah keep distorting.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #49
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
... Still, the new patent isn't an award on rounded rectangles. It's a portable media device that has rounded rectangles. Apple haters keep pointing out that rounded rectangles are owned by Apple (prior to this patent being awarded) as if they have a patent on the SHAPE itself, meaning ANYTHING that doesn't have sharp edges is in trouble. Yeah keep distorting.
Oh, okay then that's totally reasonable, and there was me thinking Apple were going for way too broad patents. This is obviously narrow and highly technical.

/sarcasm
Old 11-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #50
Zaap
Diamond Member

Quote:
Still, the new patent isn't an award on rounded rectangles. It's a portable media device that has rounded rectangles.
LOL! Yeah, everyone was infinitely worried that Apple would go after everything that's a rounded rectangle OTHER than "portable media devices".

*forehead slap* Ohhh... it's just portable media devices with round corners? Oh, okay, that's just fine! *whew* now we can all rest easy that they won't be suing over washer and dryer units and automobile rearview mirrors and all the random stuff people were REALLY concerned about Apple suing over. *eyeroll*

Really, is it THAT difficult for you to just admit: "I like a lot of the products that Apple makes, but yes, their patent/legal shenanigans are going way too far"?