· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Shephard

Default Good TV for $500 range

I am looking for a good TV for $500 range for purchase on the Black Friday or the Cyber Monday.

I don't have and a TV so I can't help him too much.

Some requirements it must have though.

- HDMI so I can connect his computer to the TV. They are in the same room so I thought I would try home theatre pc for him and I can learn too.

- 1080p. He has couch that is close to TV, it's a very small room.

- Around 40" can't be much bigger or it won't fit.

Other than that I am not sure what you look for in a TV.

thanks
Shephard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Childs
Diamond Member

Samsung UN40EH6000
Toshiba 40L5200u
JVC JLC42BC3002 - $399.99
Sony BRAVIA KDL40BX450
VIZIO E3D420VX - $529.99 Most features...might want to look at it at Costco..also $5 less there.

120Hz is a nice feature to have. Other than that, they are all kinda the same in this category. Some other features to look for are 3D and internet apps, which is nice for things like watching netflix, hulu, etc. Only the Vizio comes close to having all the features a higher priced TV set would have.

As far as getting something on Black Friday, you need to look on a deal site like slickdeals and see what ads are posted. I personally wouldnt waste my time waking up and standing in line in the hopes of getting a loss leader, but good luck.
Childs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Shephard

sorry my original post is mangled. I meant I am helping a friend pick this. I don't own a TV and don't know much about the new stuff.

I will look at your links thanks.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Childs
Diamond Member

Here is the slickdeals site with current BF deals on TVs.

http://slickdeals.net/blackfriday/ca...sions-tvs/9557
Childs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
killster1
Diamond Member

yea slick deals only has best buy ads only.. I am in same boat i dont own any good tv's, only have lcd monitors and love my 24" MVA panals. I need a big tv now that the old CRT big screen i had died. I dont know if 60hz will be to bluring for my tastes. I dont mind xvid movies if that makes a difference in my quality taste. but i really want 1080p and 3+ hdmi be nice.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Shephard

well the TV would probably be ordered online, not going to run down to a store unless it's a really good deal.

Is Plasma or LCD better, are there different kinds than that?

What changes in the TV as you go up in price? Other than the size of course.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
aj654987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs View Post
Samsung UN40EH6000
Toshiba 40L5200u
JVC JLC42BC3002 - $399.99
Sony BRAVIA KDL40BX450
VIZIO E3D420VX - $529.99 Most features...might want to look at it at Costco..also $5 less there.

120Hz is a nice feature to have. Other than that, they are all kinda the same in this category. Some other features to look for are 3D and internet apps, which is nice for things like watching netflix, hulu, etc. Only the Vizio comes close to having all the features a higher priced TV set would have.

As far as getting something on Black Friday, you need to look on a deal site like slickdeals and see what ads are posted. I personally wouldnt waste my time waking up and standing in line in the hopes of getting a loss leader, but good luck.
I just bought this vizio above from walmart for 528 a month ago. Not every walmart had it. I returned a much better spec'd $1000 panasonic lcd because it was way too glossy for my bright living room. Had a nice LG from 2010 before I moved that was completely matte. The vizio is the only one I have found thats still sold that is completely matte and has 3d and I looked everywhere. All of the high end 2012 models have a new glossy screen. Its not as bad as the plasmas but its like a mirror in my living room.
aj654987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
aj654987

Quote:
Originally Posted by killster1 View Post
yea slick deals only has best buy ads only.. I am in same boat i dont own any good tv's, only have lcd monitors and love my 24" MVA panals. I need a big tv now that the old CRT big screen i had died. I dont know if 60hz will be to bluring for my tastes. I dont mind xvid movies if that makes a difference in my quality taste. but i really want 1080p and 3+ hdmi be nice.
The 120hz sets you can turn the feature off so it will act like a 60hz set, the best of both worlds. Personally, for myself it was fine for some programs like sports or concerts but for movies and tv shows, i got the same effect others talk about, its like looking at live footage and makes it seem more obvious they are being filmed on a set. Hard to explain but for things that are meant to be live like documentaries and sports its ok.
aj654987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
Shephard

bumping this topic. one of my first here I made about 5 month ago

I did not get a TV for my friend which is why I did not report back. He is still waiting a bit.

Another friend wants one and has one picked out at Costco. We are going to look at it next week.

He wants my advice but then doesn't listen. I told him to research the TV but he hasn't so I am going to see it myself.

All he cares about size. It's a 49" inch and he is replacing a 60" beast of a TV that is like 500lbs.

What specific things do I want to look for here?

Plasma > LCD but probably more expensive.

1080p vs 720p?