Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Politics and News

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #26
nehalem256
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 14,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeyton View Post
Why do all those takers seem to be concentrated in red states?

And all the makers concentrated in blue states?


If you're referring to the ban gay marriage, rape is a gift from God, go deport yourself brand of conservatism...I say good riddance.
So are you taking responsibility for the Wall Street Financial crisis too?
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #27
TechAZ
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeyton View Post
Does not compute. Red states lead blue states in the percentage of people on food stamps, welfare, subsidies and other forms of government assistance.

Red states have the lowest ratio of federal dollars produced to federal dollars consumed. They are the leeches of our nation.

If what you were saying was even remotely true, the electoral map last night should have been reversed. Romney should have won all the economic centers of our country (New York, California, etc.) with Obama locking down the trailer-park states like Arkansas and Kentucky.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/31910310/The_...States?slide=1

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2012/eca...#?battleground


Is there other data out there that proves this? What I posted directly contradicts what you just said regarding red states and welfare. Not looking for an argument, just your data.
TechAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #28
jpeyton
Moderator
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechAZ View Post
http://www.cnbc.com/id/31910310/The_...States?slide=1

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2012/eca...#?battleground


Is there other data out there that proves this? What I posted directly contradicts what you just said regarding red states and welfare. Not looking for an argument, just your data.
Your data point only covers TANF, which is one form of government welfare. There are many others.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ng-charts-maps

Quote:
States receiving the most federal funding per tax dollar paid:
1. New Mexico: $2.63
2. West Virginia: $2.57
3. Mississippi: $2.47
4. District of Colombia: $2.41
5. Hawaii: $2.38
6. Alabama: $2.03
7. Alaska: $1.93
8. Montana: $1.92
9. South Carolina: $1.92
10. Maine: $1.78
1, 5, and 10 are blue states. 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are red states.

Meanwhile, out of the 16 states that receive $1 or less for every $1 they contribute, only 4 were red: Texas, Nebraska, Indiana and Arkansas. The other 12 were blue states (CA, CO, MN, IL, OH, NY, NJ, DE, MA, RI, CT, NH).

Red states are takers, blue states are makers.

Last edited by jpeyton; 11-07-2012 at 11:13 PM.
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #29
TechAZ
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeyton View Post
Your data point only covers TANF, which is one form of government welfare. There are many others.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ng-charts-maps


1, 5, and 10 are blue states. 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are red states.

That is good info. I had a hunch most red states receive more than they put out, but haven't seen it in a nice graphical outline.

Wouldn't you say that most voters consider welfare as in actual money they personally receive from the government? I know technically it's more complex, but a larger percentage of voters who use on this definition of welfare come from blue states. At least that's how I interpret this. Am I off base on that?
TechAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #30
jpeyton
Moderator
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechAZ View Post
Wouldn't you say that most voters consider welfare as in actual money they personally receive from the government? I know technically it's more complex, but a larger percentage of voters who use on this definition of welfare come from blue states. At least that's how I interpret this. Am I off base on that?
Welfare comes in a lot of forms. Farm subsidies are welfare, and are almost 100% distributed in right-leaning Republican areas, but don't fit the standard "urban welfare mom" model of an handout.

When the media talks about people taking advantage of welfare, they target some single mother buying junk food on food stamps, not a farmer pulling in six-figures from government subsidies on corn.
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #31
HomerJS
Diamond Member
 
HomerJS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeyton View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/poll-latino-vo...-politics.html

The answer is yes, but only if the Republican ticket has a Latino on it (Rubio?).

Otherwise, getting blown out by 50-70 points in a fast-growing demographic will ensure the Republicans never control the White House again.
Isn't this what Republicans bitch about in the black vote. Voting for your candidate because of the same race.

Maybe they should start with some of their policies
HomerJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #32
Pneumothorax
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeyton View Post
Red states are takers, blue states are makers.
Then if you guys hate us so much why don't you just let the red states peacefully leave the Union? As a parting gift we'll give you our 47%'ers since you love and coddle them so much.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJS View Post
Isn't this what Republicans bitch about in the black vote. Voting for your candidate because of the same race.

Maybe they should start with some of their policies
Policies my ass, even if Romney promised to double welfare for blacks, the blacks would've still voted 90+% for Obama. If 95% of whites voted for Romney like the blacks did for Obama, would we be even having this discussion?

Back to the OP, no Republicans will never have the WH again unless they become Dem 'Lite'. Which then makes them irrelevant. This past election has shown where the country wants to move to and it's a downhill slide to mediocrity from here.
__________________
Heatware

Last edited by Pneumothorax; 11-08-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Pneumothorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #33
Farang
Lifer
 
Farang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 10,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeyton View Post
Your data point only covers TANF, which is one form of government welfare. There are many others.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ng-charts-maps


1, 5, and 10 are blue states. 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are red states.

Meanwhile, out of the 16 states that receive $1 or less for every $1 they contribute, only 4 were red: Texas, Nebraska, Indiana and Arkansas. The other 12 were blue states (CA, CO, MN, IL, OH, NY, NJ, DE, MA, RI, CT, NH).

Red states are takers, blue states are makers.
Nitpicking but I think NM is more purple, Romney and Mccain just did exceptionally horrible with hispanics.
__________________
You can push them out of a plane, you can march them off a cliff, you can send 'em off to die on some godforsaken rock, but for some reason you can't slap 'em
Farang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #34
Wreckem
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,994
Default

As long as they continue to play wedge politics and alienate minorities they will continue to lose.
Wreckem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #35
Wreckem
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farang View Post
Nitpicking but I think NM is more purple, Romney and Mccain just did exceptionally horrible with hispanics.
New Mexico was a purple state but changing demographics are going to make it permanently blue. Bush winning of 40% of the latino vote is the outlier, the numbers of McCain and Romney are far more in line with history in terms of latinos voting for republicans. Furthermore, the hispanic voting population is fairly young, and while their percentage of eligible voters will grow significantly over the next 20-30 years, they will remain a very young group of voter, which inherently favors democrats.

Also, the religiosity of the American populace is shrinking and will crater as older generations die off. This also does NOT bode well for Republicans. I fully believe an atheist/agnostic will be elected President in my lifetime(the next 50 or so years).

Last edited by Wreckem; 11-08-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Wreckem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #36
Agent11
Diamond Member
 
Agent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pneumothorax View Post
Then if you guys hate us so much why don't you just let the red states peacefully leave the Union? As a parting gift we'll give you our 47%'ers since you love and coddle them so much.




Policies my ass, even if Romney promised to double welfare for blacks, the blacks would've still voted 90+% for Obama. If 95% of whites voted for Romney like the blacks did for Obama, would we be even having this discussion?

Back to the OP, no Republicans will never have the WH again unless they become Dem 'Lite'. Which then makes them irrelevant. This past election has shown where the country wants to move to and it's a downhill slide to mediocrity from here.
No, they just have to pull their heads out their asses, jump off Jerry Falwell's cock and be honest with themselves, their constituents and the electorate.
__________________
-11
Agent11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #37
Pneumothorax
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11 View Post
No, they just have to pull their heads out their asses, jump off Jerry Falwell's cock and be honest with themselves, their constituents and the electorate.
Do you 'honestly' believe a candidate is electable these days if he told the honest truth on how much cuts to entitlements and how much more taxes are going to be raised to even come close to controlling our debt? Even the stupidly named 'fiscal cliff' 'extreme' cuts and raised taxes won't control the deficit for 2013! Was Obama honest to his constituents?
__________________
Heatware
Pneumothorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #38
Zebo
Elite Member
 
Zebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 39,402
Default

Meh all it will take is for dems to start governing and raising taxes. When Clinton talked about taxing ppls IRAs Republicans took the house and Clinton moved hard right. So unless democrats plan to continue this irresponsible and unsustainable debt load it will swap again. Dems right now are promising world w/o paying for it so its ez for public to eat it up. Wait till they do ask ppl to pay for it.

Green is most powerful color.
__________________
How can President Obama restart an economy that has been moved offshore?

Cheap is more expensive.

Last edited by Zebo; 11-08-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Zebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #39
michal1980
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,934
Default

hmm hispanics voting to allow more illegals into the country.

who would have thought.
__________________
so many pc's so little space
michal1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #40
Genx87
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 35,883
Default

I love these doom and gloom threads. Yes the republicans need to attract the latino vote. But it isnt a lock like the black vote is for democrats. And Bush did it in the past to win in 2004. Also people seem to believe these parties are locked in ideologies. How did republicans have so much success for 30 years? Democrats who crossed the line in 1980. Eventually the democrats will sway further to the left pushing people into the republican party.

JFK wouldnt even have a chance in the 2012 democrat party for a nomination. He would be running on a republican ticket. 40 years from now Obama will look conservative.
__________________
"Communism can be defined as the longest route from capitalism to capitalism."
"Capitalism is the unequal distribution of wealth. Socialism is the equal distribution of poverty"
"Because you can trust freedom when it is not in your hand. When everybody is fighting for their promised land"
Genx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #41
Agent11
Diamond Member
 
Agent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,535
Default

Obama looks conservative now, it's just that the Republicans have gone so far to the right pandering to their social conservative and elite financial supporters that people have lost all sense of scale.
__________________
-11
Agent11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #42
Genx87
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 35,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11 View Post
Obama looks conservative now, it's just that the Republicans have gone so far to the right pandering to their social conservative and elite financial supporters that people have lost all sense of scale.
That is a nice talking point. But what about this last candidate screamed far right policies?
Perhaps the democrats have strayed so far left already anything that looks moderate is now far right.

And dont yap about elite rich when Obama wins 8 of the 10 richest counties in the country.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49726054
__________________
"Communism can be defined as the longest route from capitalism to capitalism."
"Capitalism is the unequal distribution of wealth. Socialism is the equal distribution of poverty"
"Because you can trust freedom when it is not in your hand. When everybody is fighting for their promised land"
Genx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #43
Agent11
Diamond Member
 
Agent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,535
Default

Did you watch the Republican primaries?? Take your pick. And as for the elites, compare the donors to Obama's superPAC to Romney's.
__________________
-11
Agent11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #44
Charles Kozierok
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,762
Default

Anyone who even asks a question like this really needs to read some political history.
__________________
"Of those who say nothing, few are silent." -- Thomas Neill
Charles Kozierok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #45
soulcougher73
Diamond Member
 
soulcougher73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 8,050
Default

I think if they continue to hold onto social issues like abortion and gay marriage they will not win again. If they choise a live and let live mentality and get serious about fiscial responsibility i think they can get back in power.

But the world is moving forward while they cling to the past. So unless they are willing to adapt they are done for. IMO.
__________________
"A mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul" - Eddie Vedder

Political Correctness: A doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Mike Gayner: Partisanship is the most retarded aspect of politics because it forces you to leave your brain at the door.
soulcougher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #46
soulcougher73
Diamond Member
 
soulcougher73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 8,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
Democrats give them welfare and handouts, it explains why such a high amount vote for them
Yeah they totally got rid of welfare under the Bushs' and Reagen
__________________
"A mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul" - Eddie Vedder

Political Correctness: A doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Mike Gayner: Partisanship is the most retarded aspect of politics because it forces you to leave your brain at the door.
soulcougher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #47
diesbudt
Diamond Member
 
diesbudt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud View Post
A very ridiculous article with a foolish premise. Half the country voted for the dem and half for the Rep ... it was the electoral college that decided it.

The author of this article needs to be ...?

Add in the fact 2 huge swing states (OH and FL) and VA all were so close in the votes.

This was only a major win for obama if you look only at the EC vote number.

However looking at all the facts, it is clear it was not a big enough win for anyone to draw a conclusion the GOP lost by a large enough margin to mean they won't win again.

Add in the fact Baby boomers are retiring, meaning our retirment core population is growing, and they rarly have much money are more attracted to democrats fiscal policies, it may be a decade or 2 before a shift goes back towards the republicans by the few % that it shifts each election.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
If there was a train of logic, yours derailed about 7 stations back and you just hopped onto the tracks and started running down them in place of the train.
diesbudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #48
Genx87
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 35,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11 View Post
Did you watch the Republican primaries?? Take your pick. And as for the elites, compare the donors to Obama's superPAC to Romney's.
Yes and the people who were fringes were weeded out. Romney was a moderate republican plain and simple. Who cares about the donors to a superpac? The richest counties in the entire country overwhelmingly voted Obama. To think Obama doesnt bow before the rich like a republican is effing stupid.
__________________
"Communism can be defined as the longest route from capitalism to capitalism."
"Capitalism is the unequal distribution of wealth. Socialism is the equal distribution of poverty"
"Because you can trust freedom when it is not in your hand. When everybody is fighting for their promised land"
Genx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #49
SandEagle
Lifer
 
SandEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middle East Side
Posts: 16,081
Default

only if they give Dr. Ron Paul a fair chance.
__________________
Fear is what keeps you alive. Never not be afraid.
http://forums.anandtech.com/member.php?u=219806

Free Palestine
http://www.ifamericansknew.org/
SandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #50
soulcougher73
Diamond Member
 
soulcougher73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 8,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pneumothorax View Post
Policies my ass, even if Romney promised to double welfare for blacks, the blacks would've still voted 90+% for Obama. If 95% of whites voted for Romney like the blacks did for Obama, would we be even having this discussion?
If things were reversed and blacks had enslaved whites and we finally 200+ years later got even a half white man that looked white..white people would do the same 90%+ for the half white guy.

Its just the way the world works. Dont delude yourself and look ignorant.
__________________
"A mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul" - Eddie Vedder

Political Correctness: A doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Mike Gayner: Partisanship is the most retarded aspect of politics because it forces you to leave your brain at the door.
soulcougher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.