· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
jpeyton
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Default Will A Republican Ever Get Elected President Again?

http://news.yahoo.com/poll-latino-vo...-politics.html

The answer is yes, but only if the Republican ticket has a Latino on it (Rubio?).

Otherwise, getting blown out by 50-70 points in a fast-growing demographic will ensure the Republicans never control the White House again.

Quote:
Mitt Romney lost Latinos by unprecedented margins -- even worse than the initial exit polls showed -- according to a study by Latino Decisions.

An election eve poll of 5,600 voters across all 50 states by the group, which has researched the Latino vote throughout the campaign, concluded Obama won by an eye-popping 75-23 margin. Their research concluded that CNN's exit poll estimate of 71 percent of Latinos breaking to Obama likely undercounted their support, although they agreed with the assessment that turnout equaled 10 percent of the electorate.

"For the first time in US history, the Latino vote can plausibly claim to be nationally decisive," Stanford University university professor Gary Segura, who conducted the study, told reporters.

According to Segura, the Latino vote provided Obama with 5.4 percent of his margin over Romney, well more than his overall lead in the popular vote. Had Romney managed even 35 percent of the Latino vote, he said, the results may have flipped nationally.

The effect was at least as dramatic in swing states, most notably in Colorado, which Obama won on Tuesday. There Latinos went for the president by an astounding 87-10 margin, an edge not far from the near-monolithic support he received from African American voters. In Ohio, with a smaller but still significant Latino population, Obama won by an 82-17 margin.

"This poll makes clear what we've known for a long time: the Latino Giant is wide awake, cranky, and its taking names," Eliseo Medina, Secretary-Treasurer of the SEIU, told reporters Wednesday on a conference call discussing the results.

Beyond the eye-popping margin of victory, the internal numbers helped explain why many of the Republican's efforts to deal with the problem fizzled in 2012. Romney tacked hard right on illegal immigration, recommending a policy of "self-deportation," but he hoped that by stressing his dedication to legal immigration he might mitigate the damage.

The reason that didn't work, according to the study, is that Latino citizens are too personally connected to undocumented residents to separate the issue. Some 60 percent of high propensity Latino voters say they know someone who is living in the country illegally.

"You're not talking about an abstract immigrant, you're talking about someone the respondent knows and cares for and may in fact be related to," Segura said.

For the GOP, his conclusion was simple: "The Republicans need to make this go away."

The starting point would be comprehensive immigration reform that includes a path to citizenship for undocumented residents, a move he says could at least chip away at Democrats' increasing strength with the community. But selling that to the conservative base is going to be a tough slog and could invite a damaging backlash all its own, leaving the future fraught with danger for the right.

Last edited by jpeyton; 11-07-2012 at 04:58 PM.
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Londo_Jowo
Lifer

Yes, Christie - Rubio 2016
Londo_Jowo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Incorruptible
Diamond Member

I think that latinos who vote democrat to keep their illegal relatives in are traitors to this country and need to be kicked out. These people are breaking the law and its because of the democrat latinos that the country is so screwed up
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Steeplerot
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incorruptible View Post
I think that latinos who vote democrat to keep their illegal relatives in are traitors to this country and need to be kicked out. These people are breaking the law and its because of the democrat latinos that the country is so screwed up
Tone it down some, I know emotions are high but you are being obvious lol.

Nefarious...*strokes Lenin goatee*
Steeplerot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Jadow
Diamond Member

hopefully not.

I've gone from someone who cared and wanted whats best for the good Ol USA, to someone who "just wants to watch the world burn."
Jadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
dud
Diamond Member

A very ridiculous article with a foolish premise. Half the country voted for the dem and half for the Rep ... it was the electoral college that decided it.

The author of this article needs to be ...?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
MetalMat
Diamond Member

Only if the economy completely goes down the toilet in the next 4 years which it won't

New Cleveland Indians fan, 2014
MetalMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
techs
Lifer

You can't hide the fact that their is outright hatred and racism towards hispanics who are legal.
And, what is being discussed is how the legal immigrants vote because illegal ones don't vote.
No matter how much Republicans want to make the issue about the illegal immigrant while supporting the legal immigrant, the actual membership of the party is anti-hispanic no matter what.

Even if there is some version of the Dream Act passed it will not change the fact that hispanics are not just not welcome in the Republican party in some areas of the country, but a large number of the Republican base and elected officials hate and fear the rising number of hispanics.

As for Rubio, he won't change things much. First off he is Cuban and their have been special rules for Cubans who just have to show up at Americas door and they get citizenship. That pisses alot of hispanics off. Plus, as an hispanic his policies will be of primary interest to hispanic voters. And if he is on the ticket he will have to toe the line and that would be even worse for the Republicans, a hispanic who "sold out" to the racists.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Farang
Lifer

Absolutely yes. Jeb Bush is the prototype, though he himself may be toxic because of his name.

Basically it needs to be a moderate who came from the right of the party, and is trusted by conservatives. Then they can get through the primary without having to prove how much more conservative they are than the next guy (Romney had to do exactly this because he came from the left). Bush could get away with saying a lot of liberal shit and still remain popular in the party. On immigration, for example.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
biostud
Lifer

When they start working together in congress instead of just saying no all the time, they'll stand a chance.
Camera: Nikon D5100 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 + Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 + 85mm f/1.8G | Nissin Di600 | Phone: Lumia 920
biostud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
jpeyton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud View Post
Half the country voted for the dem and half for the Rep
That's almost always the case, +/- 5 points. Looking at the raw national vote leads people to make false assumptions, like the assumption that Romney had a snowball's chance in hell of winning last night.

Quote:
... it was the electoral college that decided it.
Exactly. Winning the Latino vote by 50-70 points does wonders for your chances in the Electoral College.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
nehalem256
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeplerot View Post
Tone it down some, I know emotions are high but you are being obvious lol.

Nefarious...*strokes Lenin goatee*
He is right. If you support illegal foreign invaders you are by definition a traitor.
nehalem256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
Rainsford
Super Moderator

Of course a Republican will be elected President again. Romney's loss, as embarrassing as it is (and should be) for him and much of the Republican party, isn't due to any fundamentally unfixable issues within the party. He was just a bad candidate with a bad approach with a part unable to correct for it thanks largely to the right-wing echo chamber telling Republicans that they couldn't possibly lose (arguing with math is never a good sign). The smart Republicans will remember what happened 4 years from now and shape their policies and message accordingly. They won't (and don't have to) become liberals or Democrats, they'll just have to make a few changes. A big step in the right direction involves running against the actual Democrat in the race and not some TownHall.com version of him. Hell, they won't even have to change their ideology for that one.
the Nation worthwhile. --Chief Justice Earl Warren, US v Robel (1967)
Rainsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
SheHateMe
Diamond Member

Quote:
Oh right, I forgot you know the exact reasons why people vote either party.
SheHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
RabidMongoose
Lifer

No, I don't think so. I think that what we saw yesterday was the end of the modern GOP. It'll be replaced by something else and maybe continue with the same name.
RabidMongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
Incorruptible
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post

Democrats give them welfare and handouts, it explains why such a high amount vote for them
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
zinfamous
No Lifer

except Latinos hate Rubio more than they hate a guy like Romney.

lol--it would be like tossing in Palin, thinking women like her, all over again.

Go for it Pubs, if you're truly that stupid.
mentally he's such a klutz
his head is made of 50 butts
zinfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #18
zinfamous
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
pretty easy calculus that our klan mem--parody poster uses:

brown = bad.
brown + beard = potential secret muslim = evil.
mentally he's such a klutz
his head is made of 50 butts
zinfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
Pocatello
Diamond Member

If the Republicans don't want the Latinos vote, keep on doing what they're doing. The Democrats are happy with that. Yeah, and keep on giving us candidates who think pregnancy from rape is God's blessing.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
RabidMongoose
Lifer

Quote:
Democrats give them welfare and handouts, it explains why such a high amount vote for them
Democrats are a pretty broad coalition that goes beyond 'welfare and handouts.' I think that Romney's monolithic tribalistic group is more about 'welfare and handouts' and trying to separate themselves from American culture and society. They tried to create another society within America and failed at it. Now it's up to them whether they want to re-assimilate or remain non-American in culture and social views.
RabidMongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #21
jpeyton

Quote:
Does not compute. Red states lead blue states in the percentage of people on food stamps, welfare, subsidies and other forms of government assistance.

Red states have the lowest ratio of federal dollars produced to federal dollars consumed. They are the leeches of our nation.

If what you were saying was even remotely true, the electoral map last night should have been reversed. Romney should have won all the economic centers of our country (New York, California, etc.) with Obama locking down the trailer-park states like Arkansas and Kentucky.

Last edited by jpeyton; 11-07-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #22
Socio
Golden Member

I heard a somber Ann Coulter in an interview this morning, she put it this way, as a result of this election America has reached a tipping point "the takers now out number the makers", conservatism is done in this country.

She may very well be right, as bad as it is now, as bad as Obama has been, with absolutely no record to stand on and still blew out a Republican it will probably will never matter who the Right runs any more.

We may have just witnessed the burgeoning of a one party system at least for the foreseeable future. And we are no longer a republic we have been successfully transformed in to something else ruled by a mob of leeching jackals and their enablers.
Socio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #23
jpeyton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post
I heard a somber Ann Coulter in an interview this morning, she put it this way, as a result of this election America has reached a tipping point "the takers now out number the makers"
Why do all those takers seem to be concentrated in red states?

And all the makers concentrated in blue states?

Quote:
conservatism is done in this country.
If you're referring to the ban gay marriage, rape is a gift from God, go deport yourself brand of conservatism...I say good riddance.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #24
OneOfTheseDays
Diamond Member

Except all of the takers actually live in the Red States and are white.

Republicans. Go fuck yourselves. Seriously.
OneOfTheseDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #25
IronWing
Lifer

As to the OP's question: of course. Americans have terrible memories. Just two years after Bush, American voters handed control of the House to the Reps.
IronWing is offline   Reply With Quote