· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
randomrogue
Diamond Member

Default 51st state: Puerto Rico?

They had some measures on their ballot calling for a change in their status.

Quote:
Puerto Ricans were asked about their desires in two parts. First, by a 54% to 46% margin, voters rejected their current status as a U.S. commonwealth. In a separate question, 61% chose statehood as the alternative, compared with 33% for the semi-autonomous "sovereign free association" and 6% for outright independence.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/07/po...html?hpt=hp_c3

I think it would be a nice addition, and long overdue, if that's what they want.
randomrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Brigandier
Diamond Member

It would be neat to live during a time that added a state to the union.
Brigandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
monovillage
Diamond Member

I'd rather it Be South British Columbia instead.
monovillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
RabidMongoose
Lifer

I'm not sure if certain segments of the US population will be ready to accept this. Though I would support it.
RabidMongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Steeplerot
Lifer

If they are going to be connected to the mainland culturally like that, screw the loyalty oaths/english and fascist stuff, PR's are good folks, but they need to learn to use freaking tortillas. Food you can hold = American, buncha weirdos with their giant mushy bananas that spill everywhere.

That Puerto Rican deep fried chicken in a good old American easy to carry on the run tortilla and you could have the world in your firm grip.

Melting pot = mmmmmmm

Last edited by Steeplerot; 11-07-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Steeplerot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
randomrogue
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidMongoose View Post
I'm not sure if certain segments of the US population will be ready to accept this. Though I would support it.
Doesn't matter. If they want to become a state they draw up a state constitution and it goes to the US Congress for a vote.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Juddog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeplerot View Post
If they are going to be connected to the mainland culturally like that, screw the loyalty oaths/english and fascist stuff, PR's are good folks, but they need to learn to use freaking tortillas. Food you can hold = American, buncha weirdos with their giant mushy bananas that spill everywhere.
LOL you had me laughing with the bit about plantains.
System 2: Bloomfield i7 930 CPU, currently overclocked to 4.2 Ghz on water, MSI Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition, Corsair Dominator 2000 6 GB triple channel RAM, OCZ vertex boot volume, MSI big bang Xpower motherboard.
Juddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
RabidMongoose
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrogue View Post
Doesn't matter. If they want to become a state they draw up a state constitution and it goes to the US Congress for a vote.
But that segment of the population controls a lot of the US Congress. We might very well see riots.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
techs
Lifer

Haha. That's very funny. Could you imagine the hysteria of the tea party if almost 4 million hispanics were to join the Union?
Puerto Ricans in the US vote overwhelmingly Democratic. Could you imagine the Republicans adding a solidly Democratic state?

Never going to happen.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
randomrogue
Diamond Member

I'd like to think that our Congress isn't controlled by a majority of Bigots. Just because they're Republican doesn't mean they're against Puerto Rico.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
lupi
Lifer

From what I've heard when this has been discussed before, they get more benefits of being a non-state state to get enough desire for the move.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/...=ascend_invite
lupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
Steeplerot
Lifer

One of my DJs from San Jose met up with me in NYC earlier this year, his first time on the East Coast. (or outside of Cali) I introduced him to some folks I had met who were PR, they immediatly asked him what nationality he is. He said..American? They were like..no where you from? He said..Mexican I guess (His family is one of the founding members of south SJ that go back many generations into CA history) They said "Weird, you dont look like a chink." I broke up the fight that immediately ensued and took my buddy to see the Statue of Liberty for the first time in Liberty Park.

All he got to see was her backside ironically enough.

Don't count on all people being this monoculture "latino" -all are different.

Kid never met another person Latino but not Mexcian decent, pretty disappointing trip for him.

On the way home he said "I thought only the white haters were like that?" My response: Welcome to the East Coast. At least you weren't a Dominican.

Moral of the Story?
Don't count the right wingers out when it comes to any race. Everyone has their knuckledraggers making asses out of everyone.

Last edited by Steeplerot; 11-07-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Steeplerot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
Lemon law
Lifer

If nothing else, this is historic, because previous the people of Puerto Rico voted against against Statehood.
Lemon law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
Incorruptible
Diamond Member

Thats a horrible idea and would only make the welfare state worse, dont let them in
Incorruptible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
randomrogue
Diamond Member

I don't know how a bunch of anecdotal stories about bigotry really relate to the big picture here. In order for them to not become a state you would need our politicians to vote no and then assuredly explain why. What's the bigger political suicide? Voting yes or explaining why you voted no?

I remember in the 90's how close they came to voting yes and now 20 years later they have voted yes. It's a qualified yes but it's still very interesting.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
CVSiN
Diamond Member

Would be awesome if you ask me.. PR is a great place enjoyed my many trips there in the Navy.
San Juan is fun as heck.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)

CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
lupi
Lifer

I think you may have incorrect info as far as letting them in the welfare state. Statehood would probably minimize such outflow as compared to now.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/...=ascend_invite
lupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #18
RabidMongoose
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrogue View Post
I'd like to think that our Congress isn't controlled by a majority of Bigots. Just because they're Republican doesn't mean they're against Puerto Rico.
It will take the word of the Obama-coalition to get this to work, in my opinion. We'll have to re-educate the Romney supporters and integrate them into American society first and then they will be more willing to accept a place like Puerto Rico.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #19
cirrrocco
Golden Member

Mm hot puerto rican chicks...ftw
Calvin Harris - Flashback ERIC PRYDZ REMIX
Destination X - Dangerous (Gareth Emery Remix)
cirrrocco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #20
JeepinEd

Quote:
It will take the word of the Obama-coalition to get this to work, in my opinion. We'll have to re-educate the Romney supporters and integrate them into American society first and then they will be more willing to accept a place like Puerto Rico.
You seem to have a very bigoted view of almost half of the American public.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
Rainsford
Super Moderator

Given Puerto Rico's current status, if they want to be a state, I say let 'em. And if for some reason we don't want them to be a state, let them be independent. This whole "non-voting territory" thing seems a bit too imperial to me. I don't even like that DC Americans don't get congressional representation, but at least they get to vote for President.
the Nation worthwhile. --Chief Justice Earl Warren, US v Robel (1967)
Rainsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
RabidMongoose
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinEd View Post
You seem to have a very bigoted view of almost half of the American public.
No...I just see a lot of the Romney-base having separated itself from American culture and society and I think that's a big problem. I want them to come back and interact with women, asians, blacks, hispanics, native americans, gays, etc...and that includes Puerto Ricans. I'm not sure if these Romney people are ready to re-assimilate into American society yet, but I hope to be proven wrong.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #23
JeepinEd

Quote:
No...I just see a lot of the Romney-base having separated itself from American culture and society and I think that's a big problem. I want them to come back and interact with women, asians, blacks, hispanics, native americans, gays, etc...and that includes Puerto Ricans. I'm not sure if these Romney people are ready to re-assimilate into American society yet, but I hope to be proven wrong.
I voted for Romney, was born in Central America, married to a Vietnamese woman and am for Gay Marriage, Pro Choice, and an Atheist. I would also like for Puerto Rico to become a state.

Drop your preconceived notions and realize that not everyone who voted for Romney fits into this evil mold that you have created in your head.

So can I be re-assimilated please?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #24
RampantAndroid
Diamond Member

Quote:
I voted for Romney, was born in Central America, married to a Vietnamese woman and am for Gay Marriage, Pro Choice, and an Atheist. I would also like for Puerto Rico to become a state.

Drop your preconceived notions and realize that not everyone who voted for Romney fits into this evil mold that you have created in your head.

Yeah, this isn't as black and white as many people on AT make it...
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"
RampantAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #25
RabidMongoose
Lifer

Quote:

It sounds like you didn't de-assimilate in the first place. I never claimed that all Romney supporters have de-assimilated.